Slowbro (Analysis) [GP 0/2]

Slowbro

[Overview]

<p>Ever since the first generation, Slowbro has been a top-notch bulky water, and it continues to be even today. Slowbro was blessed with great HP and Defense stats, and okay Special Attack and Special Defense stats. Slowbro also has several incredible support options such as Yawn, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Trick Room, and even instant recovery. Although Slowbro hasn't changed much between the generations, it still remains a fantastic physical wall. </p>

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Surf / Scald
move 2: Slack Off
move 3: Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Psychic
move 4: Thunder Wave / Yawn
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Regeneration
Nature: Bold
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Slowbro remains a fantastic physical wall, especially in this metagame. Surf may seem to be an odd choice with the new Scald around, but Scald's burn rate makes Slowbro's status moves useless. Its burn rate is still useful, so it is still an option. Slowbro has Slack Off to heal off any damage thrown at him, as most attacks won't 2HKO him. The third move is based on preference. Flamethrower is the first option because it wrecks Slowbro's common switch-ins like Ferrothorn and Scizor. Ice Beam is mentioned next for its ability to take down Dragon- and Grass-types as well as well as providing good coverage with Slowbro's Water-type move of choice. Finally, Psychic is mentioned to deal huge damageFighting-types which are common in the metagame. The last moveslot provides a difficult decision to make. Yawn is great for phazing and putting the opponent to sleep, allowing Slowbro to give another pokemon a free switch in. It also works quite well with hazards and the new sleep mechanics. Thunder Wave can cripple an opponent's sweeper, rendering them useless. It has one of the best abilities in the game: Regeneration. Slowbro recovers a third of its health as it switches out, making it even harder to take down. It also gives Slowbro more time to use its status moves or hit back, as it spends less time using Slack Off.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is one of the most anti-metagame sets currently out there. Slowbro can survive onslaughts from pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Excadrill and can OHKO back with its STAB attacks. Slowbro is also one of the best users of Trick Room, a viable strategy. Trick Room can easily be put in the fourth moveslot. Slowbro can run Psycho Shock instead of Psychic, but there is nothing it really needs to hit with high special defense, so there is no real reason. If Thunder Wave isn't chosen as the status move, Icy Wind can be used to cripple sweepers, but its effectiveness is limited. Wonder Room, although gimmicky, can be used to raise its Special Defense, especially if it predicts a special sweeper switching in. Toxic can be used over either Thunder Wave and Yawn, but the options on the set are generally superior.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 3: Boil Over / Surf
move 4: Psycho Shock / Psychic
Nature: Bold
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Slowbro is a great user of Calm Mind. It boosts his average Special Defense to huge levels, making him a great mixed wall. He can heal off any damage dealt to him with Slack Off while continuously boosting with Calm Mind. His boosted Special Attack helps him kill a few pokemon with his powerful STAB moves. Boil Over can help by burning foes, while Surf offers more base power. The choice between Psychic and Psycho Shock is decided based which pokemon are troublesome to Slowbro's team, but Psycho Shock is generally better because it can stop Blissey. Its enormous bulk allows it to switch in on most physical attackers and set up. Slowbro can be difficult to stop from both sides of the spectrum after a few Calm Minds.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If Slowbro wants to be a little more offensive, Surf, Life Orb, and a Modest are all suggested. It is also recommended that some EVs are moved into the Special Attack stat. Slowbro can run a Rest-Talk set with Calm Mind and Surf, but it is easily walled, and Slowbro doesn't even need Rest when it has Slack Off. There are also many other moves that Slowbro can run such as Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Shadow Ball, but in most cases Slowbro will benefit more with its STAB. </p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf
move 2: Psycho Shock / Psychic
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Fire Blast
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs.: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Slowbro has a pretty good Special Attack stat and can pull off the role of a bulky specs pokemon. Slowbro can even get past Blissey with Psycho Shock. Surf and Psycho Shock are Slowbro's main STAB moves. Surf provides great power against anything that doesn't resist it whilst Psycho Shock can be used to KO special walls such as Jellicent and Blissey. Psychic can be used because of its higher base power, but it misses out on dealing damage to Slowbro's counters. Ice Beam is for hitting mostly Dragon-types, making a Slowbro a great counter to them. Fire Blast can be used to hit steels harder and more speciffically, Scizor and Ferrothorn, but generally Slowbro shouldn't stay in against Scizor. The great thing about Slowbro is Regeneration. Choice users often have to switch out, so Regeneration helps keep Slowbro healthy.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Slowbro may not be the hardest hitter, but it is bulky enough to take a hit and still hit back. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast can be used, but the other choices give Slowbro better coverage. Hidden Power Electric is another great move to use, and it helps to counter Gyarados. If Slowbro is willing to sacrifice Regeneration, it can use Trick to cripple walls like Blissey, but they will be scared of switching into Psycho Shock often anyway. If trick is used, Signal Beam is recommended, because it is illegal with Regeneration but gives Slowbro much better coverage.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Boil Over / Surf
move 3: Flamethrower / Psycho Shcok
move 4: Slack Off
Nature: Relaxed
Evs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs.: 0 Spe IVs

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Slowbro is one of the best users of the move Trick Room. Slowbro can easily come in multiple times and set it up, while still packing a punch with its boosted speed. Flamethrower is an interesting move on this set. Undoubtedly, Ferrothorn will switch into Slowbro in an attempt to wall it and to abuse Trick Room to kill Slowbro with Power Whip. Flamethrower nails the Ferrothorn switch in hard. Psycho Shock is good for taking care of other Trick Room abusers as well, such as Machamp and Conkeldurr. Slack Off is for instant recovery, which few other Trick Room users have. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Slowbro can set up dual screens to increase the team's bulkiness, but the dual screen set is mostly outclassed by Bronzong. Slowbro can fulfill a more offensive role with a Quiet nature, but once again some EVs need to be moved to the SpA stat. Other offensive moves can be used such as, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast, but Scald is needed for STAB and Flamethrower is near essential for KOing Ferrothorn switch-ins.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Each set has its own specific teammates that work well with it. For the Bulky Water set, specially defensive steel types work quite well, as they cover Slowbro's weaknesses and vice versa. Some great pokemon to use are Registeel and (specially defensive) Ferrothorn. Regice covers many of Slowbro's weaknesses and can form a sort of Regibro combo because of its high Special Defense. Virizion works quite well, as it too covers Slowbro's weaknesses and has high special defense. Virizion also gets an attack boost from Dark-type attacks aimed at Slowbro, so Virizion can have a chance at getting a sweep. Heatran can also work well, as it covers most of Slowbro's weaknesses and can take care of Scizor. To counter Tyranitar, Mienshao, Conkeldurr, or Machamp can be used as they all threaten Tyranitar with their super effective Fighting-type attacks. For the Choice set, sweepers such as Salamence, Lucario, and Dragon Dance Scrafty all benefit from the removal of the walls so they can set up with less difficulty. On the Calm Mind set, Venusaur makes a great partner due to its resistance to both Grass- and Electric-type attacks. Venusaur can also put pokemon to sleep, giving Slowbro ample time to set up Calm Minds. The Trick Room set obviously needs Trick Room sweepers such as Escavalier, Marowak, Rampardos, and Gigalith. All sets are aided with entry hazard support. Slowbro tends to force a lot of switches and therefore can rack up a lot of damage with entry hazards. </p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Slowbro's wide movepool gives it many other options besides the many sets mentioned above. Slowbro has access to Belly Drum, but it's too slow to pull it off. Grass Knot is a choice on the special sets, but its power is unreliable and isn't too usefull. Slowbro can run an effective Rest-Talk set with Calm Mind similar to Croune, but Slowbro doesn't really need Rest because of Slack Off. Slowbro can also make effective use of a Choice Band, but Slowbro's special capabilities are much better so Choice Specs outclass it. Slowbro can run a viable dual screen set to aid hyper offense teams, but it is mostly outclassed by pokemon such as Cresselia and Bronzong. Slowbro can be used effectively on rain teams, but there are better rain stallers out there such as Ludicolo and Blastoise. Slowbro can run an effective Curse set due to its large physical movepool, but it leaves Slowbro vulnerable to special attacks and is mostly outclassed by its brother Slowking. Slowbro has access to both Iron Defense and Amnesia, but Slowbro is easily phazed and is easily worn down from moves like Toxic. Even though Regeneration is a fantastic ability, Own Tempo is still useful against Machamp and Golurk, as it can safely switch into DynamicPunch and not become confused.</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>Tyranitar, Scizor, Breloom, and Chandelure all are difficult pokemon for Slowbro to deal with. Tyranitar and Scizor threaten Slowbro with Pursuit and their strong STAB attacks. Breloom can put Slowbro to sleep or attack it with a super effective Bullet Seed that can actually OHKO if it gets five hits, even with maxed out Defense and HP. Chandelure has strong, STAB, special, super effective attacks that can easily OHKO Slowbro. Essentially any special attacker is capable of giving Slowbro trouble, as most players don't invest in Slowbro's weaker Special Defense.</p>

[DREAM WORLD]

<p>Regeneration Slowbro has already been released. Regeneration makes it much easier to keep Slowbro at high health. Slowbro can easily switch in and out as Regeneration cancels out entry hazard damage. Slowbro can now support a core more effectively.</p>

Okay, done, now awaiting feedback.

Also, if you comment and help me on my analysis, I'll most likely help you on yours.

Regeneration is already released and should probably be the only ability choice on any set, although note for Choice Specs that Trick is illegal with Regen Imo, the best set for 4 attacks specs is Surf/Ice Beam/Psycho Shock(for Blissey)/Flamethrower(Nattorei/random Bug/Steels), although it's up to you. Hydro Pump could be an option too, as it prevents Latios from switching in more than once if you have Stealth Rocks up and just does more damage to other switch ins as well. Could also mention the fact that Specs is basically unaffected by status since Regen stops burn/toxic from wearing it down and it's too slow for Twave to really affect it.

Maybe mention that Regeneration allows it to be more offensive as it doesn't have to waste as many turns healing itself compared to other supporters.

For Trick Room I'd mention Porygon2 as a partner.

I don't think the Defensive Booster or Curser sets deserve to be on there as the first one is fairly gimmicky and the Curse is mostly outclassed by Slowking.

For partners I'd also mention Scizor, who resists all of Bro's weaknesses except Electric and can also counter many of Slowbro's counters such as Tyranitar, Lati@s, and others. Birijion is also a decent partner, with decent resistance coverage and Birijion's nice Special Defense has nice synergy with Slowbro, although Slowbro will generally need to run Ice Beam to stop the combo from being walled by a bunch of stuff. U-turners in general are very nice with Slowbro as they give him lots of chances to switch in and out for free regen healing.

I'd also remove mention of Choice Band from optional changes as it's attack stat really isn't high enough to justify one.

That's all I can think of for now, might have more after an update.

thanks for that regeneration catch, I had no idea that they already released it. Yet I think Own Temp should get a mention in other options to stop machamp and goruggo.

I think I'll keep trick, it's too usefull on a choice set

Regeneration definitely helps it be more offensive b/c u waste less time using slack off, ill add that in

Pory2 can be a great partner in general, as pory resists ghost and slowbro resists fight, and pory has high spdef

I'll remove the Curse set, but don't you think that the defensive booster works. how about if i just make it one option to choose between amnesia and iron defense?

And scizor and birijion definitely work, thanks for that

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Defensive boosting sets almost never work just because they can be easily phazed out or Toxiced, especially something like Slowbro. Additionally, it doesn't really do anything except sit there, waiting to be set up on as you have to either keep boosting to prevent taking large amounts of damage or try and attack and get pulverized the next turn.

Slowbro doesn't learn Roar and it's mentioned several times, might wanna fix that.

Life Orb should be removed from the boosting sets since Slowbro is way too slow. You basically sacrifice lots of health that could be regained from Leftovers while using CM/Slack Off for a small power boost. It's just not the way slow defensive sweepers work, which btw the CM set should be a lot more defensively oriented. Also Surf should be slashed with Boil Over on the defensive set since the burn chance can sometimes mess up the status move in the final slot, especially Yawn.

252 HP / 252 Def /4 SDef is how you should run the CM set.

Calm Mind
Boil Over
Psychic / Psycho Shock
Slack Off

It can easily act as your common switch in to physical sweepers, but instead of using Thunder Wave or Yawn, you go with Calm Mind. It's hard to stop a CMBro, yes you can phaze it, but you are getting hit while he is healing through Regeneration. Also switch ins who would ruin it can be Boil Overed until inflicted with Burn, which most of the time is great.
Slowbro deals better with Roobushin carrying Psychic, but Psycho Shock let's it get through other Calm Minders, Blissey and Ditto. If you can put a lot of pressure on Roobushin already, then choosing Psycho Shock is the better option. Even so, Roobushin can't switch INTO CMBro and start bulking up, it would just get slaughtered anyways, but you do lose your knack to switch AGAINST him.

Okay, I removed the Defensive Boosting set, it's just set up fodder.
All mentions of roar have been removed.
I mentioned LO in the Additional Comments section, but I removed it from the main set.
Boil Over is the second option on the Bulky Water set.
And CMBRo is more defensive now, but I mentioned making it more offensive in the Additional Comments section.

Done now I think.

Could you tell me how you can use Trick in conjunction with Regeneration please? Because I think it can learn it only via 4th gen tutor which would make it illegal with DW ability.. Is there any other way?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SpAtk is written as SpA, and SpDef is written as SpD

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 3: Boil Over / Surf
move 4: Psychic / Psycho Shock
Nature: Bold / Modest
EVs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Boil Over / Surf
move 3: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 4: Slack Off
Nature: Relaxed / Quiet
Evs.: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs.: 0 SpeIVs
Modest and Quiet natures should not be slashed. They don't work well with the mentioned EV spreads at all. I'm assuming you slashed then because you mentioned this an alternative in set comments. It would be better just to leave this as a mention in set comments. You also need to mention that you should shift its EVs from Def into SpA if you do so. The Trick Room set doesn't mention a Modest nature in its set comments, but that with 252 SpA EVs is also worthy of a mention, but not a slash.

The slashes are mostly for what kind of role Slowbro needs to fulfill. If it needs to be more of a special wall, Boil Over, Bold (or even Calm).
Slowbro shouldn't be a specially defensive wall due to its stats, weaknesses and general inferiority to other special walls, even with CM taken into account. I think that's what you're trying to get at with that quote; the last sentence doesn't make grammatical sense.

[EDIT] The Specs set needs Regeneration listed as its main ability. You could also mention in set comments that it helps differentiate Slowbro from other Specs users, as Regeneration works great alongisde the frequently switching of Specs users.

The Specs set needs Regeneration listed as its main ability. You could also mention in set comments that it helps differentiate Slowbro from other Specs users, as Regeneration works great alongisde the frequently switching of Specs users
But is this really worth sacrificing Trick? Both are incredibly usefull, I just think that Slowbro needs Trick.

Slowbro's coverage is so amazing in combination with it's bulk and Regeneration ability it doesn't necessarily need Trick. I think faster pokemon are better off with Trick like Latios.

But is this really worth sacrificing Trick? Both are incredibly usefull, I just think that Slowbro needs Trick.
A choice user will be constantly switching in and out. It just works wonders with regeneration.

Also, like everyone else said, some sets mentioned there are illigal (a lot of moves with regeneration). You should fix that.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Get rid of Toxic and Yawn on the 1st set and give them a mention in AC. Thunderwave is easily the superior option and I don't like having all of those moves in the last slot when Thunderwave is probably the only one most people are going to use.

Flamethrower or Fire Blast should be put over Psychic / Psycho Shock on the Trick Room set. Nattorei is practically always going to be switching in since it can hit you for Super Effective damage and abuse Trick Room. He's also a big threat to most Trick Room teams since he can take hits and (almost always) move first. A lot of people tend to forget about Slowbro getting those Fire-type moves and send in Nattorei immediately so you'll be getting a lot of surprise kills in.

Looks good now, approved 1/2.

I've been using Rugged Helmet on Slowbro as it often takes physical contact moves in the face and passive damage coupled with Regenaration is pretty handy to have, especially on hazard/stall teams.

wouldn't EvoStone on Slowbro work? After all, there still is Slowking, so he is NFE, and a 1,5x boost on both defenses to a defensive poke.. that'd be nice.

Slowbro is NOT an NFE. A Slowpoke can evovle into either a Slowbro or a Slowking, so Evolution Stone will not work.

On the first set, mention the fact that Yawn works well with entry hazard support, since the new sleep mechanics usually force out Pokemon when you use Yawn.

...To counter Tyranitar and Kojondo, Roobushin or Machamp can be used as they all threaten Tyranitar with their supereffective Fighting-type attacks
The commas are wrong in that sentence, this is the correction in bold.

Minor nitpick, remove all the bolding from your analysis. Otherwise, this is looking to be a solid analysis. Good luck.

So THAT's why my Slowbro never evolved into Slowking, no matter what I did! /noob
Alright, I'll get my research done better next time.

Shouldn't Psycho Shock be listed over Psychic on the Choice Specs and Calm Mind sets? I can't see very many reasons why I'd want to use Psychic when I could be 2HKOing Blissey with Psycho Shock and Specs. I mean granted you're slower, it can only beat you if it has Softboiled because it'll get KOed as it uses Wish after switching into you. I don't know how much it does to Chansey but with Spikes support you'll most certainly be 2HKOing it too (Blissey only needs Stealth Rock to ensure the 2HKO).

Also Thunder Wave is two words!

QC Approved 2/2

Psycho Shock might hurt Blissey a bit more, but it cannot hit Roobushin hard. I switched Psychic to Psycho Shock on all of the sets except for the Bulky Water set. The Bulky Water set is mostly meant as a wall and shouldn't be worried about killing Blissey. It needs to keep Psychic because it is the ultimate Roobushin counter.

But thanks!

Fire Blast is probably better on the Choice Specs set than Flamethrower. It OHKOs Celebi with Stealth Rock, and the extra power helps out with mispredicts since it is unSTABed

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just a thought but 29 Spe IV with a Relaxed nature should be mentioned so that 0 Spe IV Brave Roobushin can't unspeed Slowbro and hit it with a stronger Payback. That only really applies for sets with Psychic and Calm Mind (Psycho Shock 2HKOes Roobushin with same +SpA/+Def boosts). It's not like Slowbro's outspeeding much anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)