Smocon Toronto '11 - August 5th to 7th - WON BY wait nvm

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Threw this idea around against dubs, Phiddlesticks, and a few others last weekend and we were saying how another meetup in Toronto would be fun. Let's work out the details and make it happen.

Dates: Friday August 5th - Sunday August 7th (or Monday August 8th)
I'm assuming people can get in Friday night and it gives us all of Saturday and either most or all of Sunday.

This is one week before Worlds.

Location: Downtown Toronto. We can check out the Hockey Hall of Fame, CN Tower, Distillery District, and other touristy spots to replace the Pokemoning we do on VGC-related Smocons. Maybe someone who's actually from Toronto will show us around.

Accomodation: I'll Priceline a hotel once I figure out how many people need rooms. Shouldn't be much more than about $30 a night per person.

Attendees:

1. Firestorm (Hotel)
  2. Phiddlesticks (Hotel)
  3. Layell
  4. Jackal
  5. CaptainKishimoto (Hotel)
  6. cloud
  7. thisisnotkakky
  8. Snkz
  9. ivar
  10. gene (Hotel)
  11. Rodan. (Saturday)
  12. gk
  13. Umbreon Dan (Hotel)
  14. Brain (Hotel)
  15. DM (Saturday, Maybe Hotel to Sunday)
Maybes:

1. Ala
  2. Glen (Hotel)
If these dates work for you, tell me how long you think this should go for and we'll work something out together. Getting stuff done on Smogon. Let's do it.

Rough Itinerary
Le Royal Meridien King Edward [ Map ] [ Directions from Union Station ]

Friday - Firestorm, Phiddlesticks, CaptainKishimoto, gene, Umbreon Dan, Brain
I will not be able to get there to check-in until 7PM. Please try not to arrive too early. If you do, I'm sure you can drop off your bags at the hotel and wander around for a bit. We'll do dinner / drinks and then play it by ear.

Saturday - Firestorm, Phiddlesticks, CaptainKishimoto, gene, Umbreon Dan, Brain, gk, Layell, Jackal, cloud, thisisnotkakky, Snkz, ivar, Rodan., DM
That Taste of Danforth thing is starting to look more and more appealing. Let's meet up at the hotel at about 11:00 AM and make our way there. It only seems to take one streetcar. Never took one before but I assume it's $3 like the buses and subway?

I wouldn't mind checking out the historic Distillery District after as it looks kinda cool and I haven't been. Or if others haven't been, the Hockey Hall of Fame.

For dinner, we could go to the Bier Markt which my friend recommended. I'm sure those not 19 yet can still come as long as they don't order drinks. Food looks well-priced and they have 100s of European beers to try. After that, we can go to the hotel for video game funtimes and people can go home as they need to.

Sunday - Firestorm, Phiddlesticks, CaptainKishimoto, gene, Umbreon Dan, Brain, gk, Layell, Jackal, cloud, Snkz, DM
The A & C Pokemon Tournament looks like it could be fun as everyone is either a Pokemon Player or Ex-Pokemon Player. Although I'm not sure how many of us have LC or Smogon BW Singles OU teams. It's also 1 - 6 which may be a bit long. If we do this, let's meet up at about 10:00 AM, do brunch/lunch somewhere close by, try to be as obnoxious as we are at VGC events, then go for dinner afterwards!

If anyone has some other good ideas let me know. I wouldn't mind seeing improv one of those nights as Layell suggested. Where is that? =)

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll see you all when I get back ;D Already told Feathers we'd need to do something to make up for some of you not making it out to Indianapolis (although we had pretty decent BC representation!)

Anyway, should keep this on topic as still in planning stages.

Firestorm

Oh also let me know if you'd wanna hotel or be going between home and hanging out with us if you're in the area.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yes, yes.

I'll be there since I live north of Toronto. Won't need a hotel room. But I'll assume contact info will be traded once we get a bit closer. I'm probably not the best for giving a tour of Toronto. I'm hopeless without directions. I really only know where the theatres are at and that's about it.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
man i wanna go. don't count me as a definite yet, but there's a good chance i'll be available to drive up here.

jackals days are truly numbered..

Firestorm

i'm from toronto! i know my way around the city as well

is everyone drinking age?
Oh right. If you're under 19 now would be a good time to say so we can plan accordingly! All ages welcome. Just won't be able to do some things. Well, uh, reasonably speaking. We aren't babysitters.

I might be able to come if I can convince my parents to, I'm still 17. Wouldn't need a hotel as I live about half an hour to the west in Mississauga.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
man abso-fucking-lutely.

I won't need a hotel, know my way around the city well and am drinking age. I will probably not be able to be around for the whole weekend cause of work but I will make it out for sure.

If gene ends up coming he can pretty much rest assured I will Destroy him.

i dont need to stay in a hotel but if nobody else needs the room ill stay since its more convenient and makes it cheaper for all of us

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm also a maybe, depends if I can get it off work...I'll let you guys know. I'd also need a hotel room (I'll room with ya Rushan :D)

Also 21 years old so drinking is covered!!!

oh hmm

maybe

im kinda underage though
pretty much this

also don't really know anyone, and it happens to fall on the days right before my birthday heh.. but whatever, theres a slight chance

edit: pfffffttt tito I'm laughing pretty hard right now, gtfo of here

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
pretty much this

also don't really know anyone, and it happens to fall on the days right before my birthday heh.. but whatever, theres a slight chance
I didn't know anyone when I first met Vancouver Smogonites, and it turned out great. Firestorm and co are great guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)