CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Discussion 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would accomplish nothing. I already tallied the votes and got the results of that. You can't have another poll with the same options, you have to cut it down to, at most, 4 options. The majority of people wanted Ice Punch, so that's in. About 43% more people wanted Thunder Punch than those who only wanted Ice Punch, so that's a significant value.

This leaves two choices that are meaningful to test. Fire Punch, or No Fire Punch. There were 51% more people that voted against Fire Punch comparatively (using the big three), so it might be enough as is.

This is really up to Hyra. At this point, it seems to be Ice Punch and Thunder Punch, with Fire Punch up in the air.

Only problem with that is it assumes everyone wants ThunderPunch. It would be easy just to have a poll about letting Fire Punch on. But I'm not going to do that. I would not be able to close the poll after one day and move on, because I would be on a bus to Orlando. I left this thread open for a work week. That means everyone's opinion who really cares is in here. That means Fire Punch and ThunderPunch didn't get 50% approval, which means the majority of the community didn't want them (to Eric: we have called things on smaller margins before).

So basically, I have to remove Roar and Grass Knot from the TM list, update the learnset to reflect the polls, and find what the next poll should be. The last one is the most important, since we are done competitively. I forgot where Cooper went next, but we can't do spriting, Pokedex, or names, since we don't have any submissions.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
At the very least we should open a spriting thread to start the discussion around the sprite. I think TeaAndBlues actually made a sprite back in one of the art threads. I know KOA is actively working on a sprite as well. Since sprites aren't big bulky pictures, we should be able to hold the sprite discussion right here in Stark Mountain.

There were lots of names suggested in a previous thread (I can't remember the exact ones). In those threads there was a lot of feedback on the names. I think from those threads you should be able to assemble a name poll. That should be the next vote. By the time that poll close, we'll have a better idea of where we stand on the sprite.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hyra: i dont think we have called things closer than 2.5% without haveing an extra poll. as for the you going away thing, just ask me, lord sunday, DJD, KoA, or one of the other people on this program to continue it while you are away.

So...is this poll over and done with or is it still open for discussion(s) since it seem like they're some conflict involving the punches. Personally opening up the spiriting thread is a good idea too.

As for the you going away thing, just ask me, lord sunday, DJD, KoA, or one of the other people on this program to continue it while you are away.
That's not a bad idea well if only because it help speed things along.

hyra: i dont think we have called things closer than 2.5% without haveing an extra poll. as for the you going away thing, just ask me, lord sunday, DJD, KoA, or one of the other people on this program to continue it while you are away.
The typing was decided by a similar margin, this is even less important. Anyways, I'm gonna go look for what Cooper did after movepool, because it wasn't spriting, names, or Pokedex.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The typing was decided by a similar margin, this is even less important. Anyways, I'm gonna go look for what Cooper did after movepool, because it wasn't spriting, names, or Pokedex.
yes but we had several clicky polls for that, here we had one bold text vote.

edit: no. the secondry type was 15.42%

yes but we had several clicky polls for that, here we had one bold text vote.

edit: no. the secondry type was 15.42%
Eric, its ONE move. Honestly, ThunderPunch would only be used to screw Gyarados over. It's not a big enough deal to run another poll over. Normally I have taken your advice on polls, but this is taking it too far. (and I meant the Ghost/Grass run off).

Anyways, next we are doing names. Cooper had posted a custom move poll, but I don't want to deal with that. So, right now I am going through the names posted in Poll 7, taking the ones that have some sense of style and flow to them. If you didn't post one there, post it here now.

Names so far:
Revenankh
Peramer
Houtaijin
Fistalos (may I please change this to Phistalos?)
Mumrath
Miitousen / Miirasen
Sansorgan

Only problem with that is it assumes everyone wants ThunderPunch. It would be easy just to have a poll about letting Fire Punch on. But I'm not going to do that. I would not be able to close the poll after one day and move on, because I would be on a bus to Orlando. I left this thread open for a work week. That means everyone's opinion who really cares is in here. That means Fire Punch and ThunderPunch didn't get 50% approval, which means the majority of the community didn't want them (to Eric: we have called things on smaller margins before).
Look at the results by vote I posted earlier. 21 votes were for Ice Punch alone, 18 for Ice punch and Thunder Punch combined, and 19 for all three. The next highest one (not counting the "None" vote) is 9. Those are so far off of the big three that they aren't significant.

Since the 19 who voted for "All" are, by definition, voting for Thunder Punch as well, that's 37 votes for Thunder Punch and 21 against it. That's about a 43% difference in votes. All those votes are for Ice Punch, so it's obviously in. Fire Punch is 19 for, and 39 against, or approximately 51% difference.

In theory we could call it here and declare a 51% favor against Fire Punch, and a 43% favor for Thunder Punch, assuming 0% to be the base value (equal votes both ways). It's really up to you whether to continue the Punch debate, but it seems that the only questionable thing left would be "For Fire Punch" or "Against Fire Punch". There's also the matter of "Fire and Ice" and "Fire and Thunder" that I didn't count in the 51% against, due to being in the lower vote catagories.

If we factor those in, that leaves us with a 23% favor against Fire Punch (30 votes for, 39 against).

eric the espeon

i looked at it and got:
19 (22%) did not vote for ice punch, 67 (78%) did. 56% diference IN
45 (52%) did not vote for thunderpunch, 41 (48%) did. 4% diference IMO too close
54 (63%) did not vote for fire punch, 32 did (37%). 26% diference OUT
86 people voted.

i get your point about the
hyra said:
It's not a big enough deal to run another poll over.
thing.
maybe a side poll or something? just for thunder punch. so it would be a clicky poll at the top about the names and a bold text vote simply about thunder punch.

i get your point about the thing.
maybe a side poll or something? just for thunder punch. so it would be a clicky poll at the top about the names and a bold text vote simply about thunder punch.
I will do that. That's a nice and easy to way to keep this moving along while fixing an issue.

Well, I'll leave this open for a few more hours so that more names can be posted.

Well geez with this competition, I'm starting to like Fistalos/Phistalos and Mumrath over my own! I'll reserve judgment for the next thread, though.

I'd like to propose "Pankraoh", from Pankration + Pharaoh. Pankration is the martial arts Greeks used, and the one modern Greco-Roman wrestling is based on, for those of you who didn't know.

Also, regarding the elemental punches: Finally, we're going to have a bolded poll asking if Thunder punch is in or not, right?

eric the espeon

Also, regarding the elemental punches: Finally, we're going to have a bolded poll asking if Thunder punch is in or not, right?
yes, intergrated into the name poll.
also i like Pankration... my new name idea is

Pankrayyah

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'll back either Revenankh, or Houtaijin. It'll probably end up being Revenankh, but I wanted to let the populace know I'd support either. Because both feel like apt names.

My only request for the name poll is that short descriptions of the names are given (I assume everyone gave a reasoning and description with the names they suggested). This way people can understand where a name came from, and aren't put off by what they might consider potentially obscure, when it might make perfect sense.

I realize I should've said this in the initial request, but:

Houtaijin - Japanese for "Bandage Person"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)