CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
not exactly sure what category this would fall under, but I'd like the new pokemon to be something like Scizor or Gallade. To be slow, have alot of offensive power, but also be able to utilize its great defensive typing with decent defenses. I'd also prefer it lean more on the physical side in both defense and offense, since the typing works better defensively than special defensively, but that's not really too important

but yeah, pretty much a bulky attacker is the point I'm trying to get across. If I were to propose a set it'd be something like 80 / 125 / 105 / 70 / 80 / 65, giving it a BST of 525, thoroughly non-broken, but definitely still effective. Now I'm not trying to jump ahead of anything here, but just trying to get my point across. I think he should be an offensive threat, but also be able to provide a soft counter to certain threats thanks to key resistances and adequate defenses - similarly to Heatran, Scizor, etc. These kinds of pokemon are offensive threats, but because of their typings and great resistences, are able to make good counters to specific pokemon, like Scizor to Weavile, or this proposed new pokemon to Heracross I suppose.

So I guess Balanced, but leaning more heavily on Offense would best describe that vision.

Im voting Defensive. Dusknoir needs some company in the wall Ghost department, and Fighting actually needs a wall to begin with. Plus, it could be a cool Syclant counter.

EDIT: Meh, i think 70/80/120/60/130/75 (BST: 535) wouldn't be that bad for a wall/tank, although it might be too similar to Spiritomb in some ways. Otherwise, try 70/85/105/65/130/70 (BST: 525).

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to see a slower, fair-defenses, not great offenses, sorta like Hariyama pokemon. Except special-oriented, with Calm Mind.

I'm thinking, in terms of base stats
HP: 130
Atk: 60
Def: 80
Sp. Atk: 85
Sp. Def: 90
Speed: 50

Perhaps Calm Mind/Vacuum Wave/Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball as a potential moveset.
Or a more defensive one involving Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave and Pain Split. Come to think of it, a defensive Fighting/Ghost would make a great counter to Heracross.

For potential abilities, I propose Insomnia and Immunity.

Does not overpower the entire metagame like Syclant, is countered decently well by Spiritomb and the like, and has a decent well-rounded base stat total right around 500.

ITT: All pokemon have Syclant's "Balanced" BST.
I really do hope this thing ends up lopsided, nothing irks me more than the 1 extra speed to outrun your threats, the 1 extra attack to 2HKO Blissey, and the 1 extra HP to survive their attack against you.

Syberia

[custom user title]
Yes. Garchomp's ability to perfectly outspeed base 100's pisses me off to no end.

I think 130/60/80/85/90/50 is totally reasonable.

I like that spread, Syberia. However, I would switch around Attack and Defense with SpAtk and SpDef. This thing needs Bulk Up, as it is a Fighting-type, and it would lend itself to tanking very well as one of the few good users of Bulk Up. We have too many good users of Calm Mind, as it is.

HP: 130
Atk: 85
Def: 90
Sp. Atk: 60
Sp. Def: 80
Speed: 50

Bulk Up / Mach Punch / Shadow Claw / Hammer Arm. The speed loss does not much matter due to its low speed, anyway, and Mach Punch overrides the loss, anyway. Meanwhile, Shadow Claw gives the best physical Ghost-STAB with a high probability of critical hits. With this type of HP, though, it might be worth looking into Pain Split. Pain Split could go over Mach Punch. This thing could tank physical hits for days.

balanced on the offensive side, im hoping for some decent attacking options with a cool support movepool. see gallade or jirachi for a good example of what im talking about.

also im gonna not participate if this thing gets more hp than cress lol

Syberia

[custom user title]
Instead of Insomnia, then perhaps it could have Synchronize.

EDIT: And going Physical would give you an option of priority moves - either Mach Punch or Shadow Sneak. It would be interesting to make them egg moves, but from different egg groups. Thus, impossible to have both on the same set.

Umm... wouldn't it get too powerful if it has all these move options? I suggest limiting its useable moves, and please don't vote levitate if it turns up for the ability, we don't need a pokemon with 2 immunities and hardly any resistances coupled with good stats.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd prefer this to go special with CM, but like Syberias EV spread execpt switch Def and Atk, so it's got 130/60/90 defences.

Well if we're talking about abilities, I'd like to see:
Air Lock/Cloud Nine (Need more weather related stuff)
Battle Armor/Shell Armor (if a wall)
Huge Power/Pure Power (with the obvious low Attack stat)
Iron Fist (if a physical sweeper)
Scrappy (A ghost hitting a ghost with a fighting attack.. MMMM)
Unaware (would be interesting to see something useful with this)

A fairly big list, but I think out of the ones that exist, these are the more interesting ones. I'd hate to see more crap with Pressure, Levitate, Guts and such. How boring.

Umm... wouldn't it get too powerful if it has all these move options? I suggest limiting its useable moves, and please don't vote levitate if it turns up for the ability, we don't need a pokemon with 2 immunities and hardly any resistances coupled with good stats.
Don't ghosts normally have 2 immunities (Normal + Fighting)? I do see what you mean, though. Im pretty sure Hyra declared it won't be getting Levitate do to most Ghosts already getting levitate

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If we're all going to list abilitys I like:

Aftermarth: Kind of the spitefull thing a ghost would do no?
Anger Point: Combined with a high hp for big subs this could actually be viable...
Early Bird: Always usefull, never broken.
Inner Focus
Iron Fist: Is cool!
Limber: Only if it already has a low speed stat.
Quick Feet: This would require a Toxic Orb, therefore killing it's Bulk. So it's a big sacrifice for more speed.
Steadfast
Technician: Borderline broken, depends on the stats.

Balanced leaning towards defensive. I've always found Machamp and Hariyama more interesting than Infernape, for example.

Hmm... well, I have a partial idea I'd like to toss out there.

I was thinking, why not a ghost fencer? I particularly like a fencer because sword-based weaponry is missing from Pokemon at the moment. Pokemon are based on obscure weapons like Tonfas (Gallade's arms), Spears/Lances (Beedrill), Whips (Bulbasaur), Clubs (Marowak), Scythes (Scyther >_>) , Kama (Sneasel), etc. etc. Why can't we use the classic weapon? A sword.

Also, many pokemon represent a form of martial arts. Hitmonchan is obviously a boxer, Lee focuses on kicks... but thats still a good theme. Hitmontop is Capoeira, Harriyama is Sumo. And as noted before, Gallade's style is obviously based on Tonfas. There is a rich opportunity with swordplay. The many types of swords in a single art would tell you that alone. Rapier, Dagger, Foil, Saber, and Epee are European-based fencing styles alone. (Foil, Saber and Epee are all French swordplay IIRC) Expand them to all forms of martial arts that we can choose from to base a pokemon off a sword and just choosing the correct sword becomes a creative endeavor.

Including the fencing swords, there are Longswords, Broadswords, Katanas and its parter Wakizashi, Claymores, and more to choose from. And then there are still Fictional swords like the Zan Bato that can be used as a basis.

At the risk of skipping a few steps (if I haven't already), I do point out a ghost fencer (Saber or Rapier specifically) for an offensive type pokemon. Fencing swords are very thin and it would be very distinguishable from other pokemon. Unlike Beedrill, either a single-handed swords would be used or in the case of dual-blades, asymetrical blades (Rapier and Dagger style).

I would go as far as even to define an ability for this pokemon:

Swordmaster: This pokemon always hits with a critical hit when using slash-based attacks. The slash-based attacks are: Cut, False Swipe, Air Cutter, Slash, Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade and Night Slash.
This pokemon recieves STAB on none of them, making them at best a 140 BP attack. In comparison, Earthquake / Return hits 150 with STAB, and STAB Bolt/Beam hits 142.5. We can easily shape the stats around him at that point.

I find this to balance out the massive bonus of STAB from Fight/Ghost as Shadow Claw would not be too powerful, and STAB fighting attacks are typically more powerful than that anyway. (High Jump Kick == 150 BP, Close Combat is 180 BP). If we drop his attack power to a good level to balance out this massive bonus (kinda like Medicham's base 80 attack), we should be fine.

Shadow Claw, while technically in the "slash" catagory of attacks (base 70 with high crit) would be far too powerful with this ability, nor does it make sense... in English anyway. So I'd just limit it to the other ones which have a "cut" style name on them. Other moves of this ability might include Poison Jab, Twin Needle, Stone Edge, Fury Swipes, Needle Arm, and X-Scissor.

---------

Meh, I'm getting ahead of myself. My vote: Offensive

My reasoning is as follows: Balanced pokemon tend to suck. Stats are not linear as one would hope, but they effect each other. Alakazam has very low stat total of 490, yet is still a pokemon to be feared because high-attack and high-speed help each other out.

On the other hand, we have pokemon like Blissey, where high HP and high Sp. Def help each other out. Heck, HP helps both defense and Sp. Def at the same time.

Look at balanced pokemon. Galie and Phione has nearly the same stat-total as Alakazam. Jirachi has the same stat-total as Garchomp who has the same stat-total as Deoxys-A. If we're going to make a pokemon, we ought to do it right. Well... we can make a UU pokemon, but I doubt anyone would want that.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
You know, in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, there were Ghost Fencer enemies. I think those would be a good stepping stone.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i like the ghost fencer idea, though i want a balenced pokemon, i think something like.... salamence defence wise but with more speed and less attacks would be good. salemence is in the ofencive catagory, but it has decent defences + intimidate, anyway i vote.... dam i cant chose between ofencive and balenced, i want a bulky sweeper, or a tank with some decent attackng power. darn i cant chose, maybe there kinda the same? anyway... ofencive.

also i like the ghostly sword master thing, and the always crit effect ability, but it would have to have <90 base attack or be unbalenced. as wel as being a significant boost to its attack it would always cut trough def boosts.

While I love dragontamer's idea of a fencing rapier-and-dagger pokémon (being Spaniard I'm proud this is THE sword fighting style we made popular in the 1600s), my goal is to have some sort of Porygon2-esque stats, but switching the Special attack and the Attack around. Thus, my vote is BALANCED.

The stats could look like this:

HP: 90
Atk: 105
Def: 95
Spatk: 75
Spdef:95
Spd: 60

Give or take 5 stat points here and there, and I think it will be good.

Balanced

110 HP - 101 Subs, can take hits well.
90 ATK - Can harm stuff, but not too powerful
88 DEF - High HP and good resistances... Don't want Def's too high
85 SpAtk - See ATK
82 SpDef - See Def
65 SPD - If it was much faster, it'd be muchos broken.

Total = 520.

DragonTamer, post that in the art thread please? The artists need to see that. Your idea also works no matter what we do. Heavy defensive swordsman with a claymore, balanced would probably use a sword, and offensive with rapeirs (mispelled on purpose).

About the balance = sucky. This thing has one of the best types in the game. It will hit hard by virtue of STAB alone. It also has very nice resists. I would compare this to Swampert the most when I say balanced.

Balanced. Like Swampert. Since it gets stab for both ghost and fighting type moves, which has no resists, making it offensive would be pretty game breaking. Give it like 110/90/100/85/90/60.

As for abilities, i've always thought that ghosts could have an ability called strange aura. All super effective hits are resisted and all resisted hits are super effective. Immunities remain the same. Kinda messes with your mind from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)