Smogon Premier League X - Week 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the tenth iteration of SPL, SPL X. In this tournament, 10 teams containing the best players on Smogon (except for Mr.E) play against each other and duke it out every week, attempting to gather as many wins as they can to reach playoffs. Some of them will fail, while others will bloom. Whatever the case, the matches will be exciting, so without further ado, here are tournament rules and the matchups!

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL
and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
See here.

Standard Tournament Rules

---

Indie Scooters (6) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (6)

SM OU: Lopunny Kicks vs Eternal Spirit
SM OU: Will of Fire vs Sacri'
SM UU: robjr vs HarrisIsAwesome
SM RU: lighthouses vs Pohjis
SM NU: Realistic Waters vs Osh
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs MajorBowman
ORAS OU: craing ;_; vs Bro Kappa
BW OU: Ojama vs zf
DPP OU: giara vs Hclat
ADV OU: dekzeh vs dice
GSC OU: Century Express vs d0nut
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs Kaz

Cryonicles (7) vs Team Raiders (5)

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs bro fist
SM OU: Leru vs Talah
SM UU: HT vs Pak
SM RU: Ajna vs Kingler12345
SM NU: elodin vs SPACE FORCE meeps
SM DOU: SMB vs Biosci
ORAS OU: ABR vs Trosko
BW OU: obii vs SoulWind
DPP OU: Malekith vs roscoe
ADV OU: Alexander. vs Jirachee
GSC OU: Arifeen vs CasedVictory
RBY OU: Veteran In Love vs Cynara

Wi-fi Wolfpack (9) vs Stark Sharks (3)

SM OU: Kickasser vs Tricking
SM OU: Charmflash vs Tamahome
SM UU: bugzinator vs Lycans
SM RU: Welli0u vs EviGaro
SM NU: Eternally vs Teddeh
SM DOU: Human vs fespy
ORAS OU: TDK vs High Impulse
BW OU: Sergi vs Posho
DPP OU: DeepBlueC vs ToF
ADV OU: UD vs Kevin Garrett
GSC OU: GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA vs Conflict
RBY OU: The Idiot Ninja vs Sceptross

Alpha Ruiners (8) vs Congregation of the Classiest (4)

SM OU: Empo vs 1 True Lycan
SM OU: Hiye vs yjh971203
SM UU: Pearl vs Shiba
SM RU: passion vs Nat
SM NU: LAX vs Garay oak
SM DOU: Croven vs EmbCPT
ORAS OU: imsosorrylol vs baddummy
BW OU: Rewer vs Finchinator
DPP OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Void
ADV OU: Hyogafodex vs thelinearcurve
GSC OU: Lavos vs Earthworm
RBY OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Bedschibaer

Dragonspiral Tyrants (9) vs Ever Grande BIGS (3)

SM OU: Mana vs Sabella
SM OU: blunder vs Cdumas
SM UU: Christo vs Sage
SM RU: aim vs KW
SM NU: ict vs Kushalos
SM DOU: emforbes vs Lunar.
ORAS OU: Poek vs xray
BW OU: We Three Kings vs FLCL
DPP OU: GaryTheGengar vs soulgazer
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Golden Sun
GSC OU: sulcata vs choolio
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Nails

Deadline will be February 3rd, 9:00 PM EST.

Last edited:
Indie Scooters (8) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (4)

DPP OU: giara vs 6A9 Ace Matador

Cryonicles (6) vs Team Raiders (6)

SM NU: elodin vs SPACE FORCE meeps

Wi-fi Wolfpack (6) vs Stark Sharks (6)

GSC OU: GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA vs Conflict

Alpha Ruiners (8) vs Congregation of the Classiest (4)

BW OU: Rewer vs ZoroDark

Indie Scooters (0) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (0)

DPP OU: giara vs 6A9 Ace Matador

Cryonicles (0) vs Team Raiders (0)

SM NU: elodin vs SPACE FORCE meeps - oml epic game, gotta back space force

Wi-fi Wolfpack (0) vs Stark Sharks (0)

GSC OU: GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA vs Conflict - bring ariados GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA

Alpha Ruiners (0) vs Congregation of the Classiest (0)

BW OU: Rewer vs ZoroDark

Dragonspiral Tyrants (0) vs Ever Grande BIGS (0)

SM OU: Mana vs Sabella
SM OU: blunder vs Cdumas
SM UU: Christo vs Sage
SM RU: aim vs KW
SM NU: ict vs Kushalos
SM DOU: emforbes vs Lunar.
ORAS OU: Poek vs xray
BW OU: We Three Kings vs FLCL
DPP OU: GaryTheGengar vs soulgazer
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Golden Sun
GSC OU: sulcata vs choolio
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Nails

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Last week was a bad week for the BIGS family. Not only did our franchise player, Finchinator, lose but we couldn't pull out a close series against the Gerk team. Don't worry, though, guys! I'm confident that we can bounce back and trust in the strength of our team. LET'S GET BIG!!!

Indie Scooters (5) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (6)

SM OU: Lopunny Kicks vs Eternal Spirit | eternal spirit is 25-5 in team tours since the start of snake 1...LOL jesus christ this man is a threat. lop kicks suffered a loss week and this is not a good spot for him to bounce back
SM OU: Will of Fire vs Sacri' | sacris solid but this man just DOMINATED the $1k blunder tour. i'll back him here in a close one
SM UU: robjr vs HarrisIsAwesome | harris been dogshit this tour and looks p overmatched by the uu pool. robjr looks to keep rolling and this is a good spot for him
SM RU: lighthouses vs Pohjis | pohjis has been nothing short of awful in this tour. RIBBON SYNDROME inflated his price a solid 10k and in the last 2 weeks, his play has dropped off a lot lately after his acquisition of those irrelevant ass ribbons. nonetheless, diogo hasn't really shown anything lately in official tours to make me have faith in him here. good bounce back spot for durza's fav spl player
SM NU: Realistic Waters vs Osh | osh is doin better than some ppl expected but i still think waters is a slightly better player
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs MajorBowman | bowman got robbed last week from what i saw. i think hes a better player so.
ORAS OU: craing ;_; vs Bro Kappa | bro kappa has had some rough games so far. i think ben gay will bring a better team and play well enough to win
BW OU: Ojama vs zf | zf to bw and dice to adv is...interesting? LOL idk. the kingpin is FIRE FLAMES heat tho so easy wins here
DPP OU: giara vs 6A9 Ace Matador | ............NA LMFAO IM NOT PREDICTING THIS. giara fucking won last week idk how but jesus GIARA VS CRUST BRO LOL im not predictin this dumbass game this is retarded. i cant believe this is a matchup
ADV OU: dekzeh vs dice | dice must be confident in his play if he's willing to switch to adv. dekzeh has high upside if he returns to previous form but dice is a solid player in general and i'll trust his battling prowess here
GSC OU: Century Express vs d0nut | finchinator's gscer is 3-0 while finch is 0-3...what a time LOL. im not really that impressed with CE and d0nut has been solid this tour.
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs Kaz | slightly better player from what ive seen.

Cryonicles (4) vs Team Raiders (8)

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs bro fist | the goat got back in the win column yday and as usual, he'll be favored against pretty much everyone.
SM OU: Leru vs Talah | idk man LMAO i would say leru but god hes been awful this tour. talah beat finch i guess LOL idk this games whack. ultimately, gonna side w the abr support.
SM UU: HT vs Pak | pak should be 3-0 this tour and has been very impressive. big edge here
SM RU: Ajna vs Kingler12345 | THE LOAF IS 2-0 LOL OML HEAT ASS KINGLER. ajna got a big mu loss last week but i'll trust him to bounce back here. better player with more metagame knowledge
SM NU: elodin vs SPACE FORCE meeps | should be a close game but elodin seems to always bring dogshit teams. meeps will somehow get mu and do enuff to win prob.
SM DOU: SMB vs Biosci | smb seems solid but bioscis more proven in official tours
ORAS OU: ABR vs Trosko | trosko looks like a solid steal right now for the raiders. however, abr will be favored vs. pretty much everyone so.
BW OU: obii vs SoulWind | bro soulwind was rly only 7k more than obi LOL jesus. big playing edge here. obi got unlucky last week but this will be a much stiffer test.
DPP OU: Malekith vs roscoe | roscoes been on a tear and should be favored vs. pretty much this whole pool.
ADV OU: Alexander. vs Jirachee | phils had some solid wins but i think prinz is a better player. he's proven his overall skill in smogon classic and i think he'll take this one
GSC OU: Arifeen vs CasedVictory | cryos old gens bros LMAO jesus. case has REALLY struggled this tour to the tune of an 0-3 record. however, there's really nothing to suggest arifeen is a viable gsc option. if case can't take this game...
RBY OU: Veteran In Love vs Cynara | LMAO BROS cryos must think is basketball or some shit where u can hide weaker defenders on defense by switching them around. unfortunately, it's more like american football, where your dogshit cornerback will be targeted on every play. vil has been crust for a decade dude LMAO these guys really have to start of 2 of arifeen gsc / k3nan / vil every week in old gens...dire ass straits. unfortunately the raiders ROBBED THE SPECTATORS OF A HIPMONLEE VS VIL CRUST BATTLE UNBELIEVABLE! i dont think sarah is a good player and haven't really been impressed. nonetheless, i'm confident that bkc will make her bring the big 4 in all games. meanwhile vil could easily roll up with

easy #crustrule

Wi-fi Wolfpack (5) vs Stark Sharks (7)

SM OU: Kickasser vs Tricking | Clicking seems be unstoppable this tour. i'll ride the wave i guess...
SM OU: Charmflash vs Tamahome | charmflash has exceeded all expectations and is somehow 3-0 LOL jesus. against a lesser player, i would consider picking him but tamahome's way too consistent and have to pick him here.
SM UU: bugzinator vs Lycans | bugzinator has one of the most fraudulent 3-0s LOL jesus fuck. lycans has been playin will so i'll give him a small edge here
SM RU: Welli0u vs EviGaro | evi's been pretty solid and i'll trust her to get matchup here.
SM NU: Eternally vs Teddeh | | idk whether rozes is sabotaging eternally or not but LOL teddeh's a better player i think.
SM DOU: Human vs fespy | human seems to be in solid form
ORAS OU: TDK vs High Impulse | amir's definitely a threat when he's on his game but tdk should be better in 2019
BW OU: Sergi vs Posho | posho has been complete dogshit this tour LOL sergi's been relatively impressive but i'll favor the larger sample size here i guess..
DPP OU: DeepBlueC vs ToF | yeah im still not trusting tof bros LOL i think deepbluec is decent enough #crustrule
ADV OU: UD vs Kevin Garrett | kg's had a rough go of it lately. ud's one of the best players in this pool so i'll give him an edge
GSC OU: GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA vs Conflict | ...hsa? IN 2019?? IN GSC? LMAO what the fuck dude this is absurd i havent seen this man since he choked spl 5 finals vs babidi. as the captain of the conflict bandwagon, this should be an easy ass win for him
RBY OU: The Idiot Ninja vs Sceptross | seems to be better based on the larger sample size

Alpha Ruiners (6) vs Congregation of the Classiest (6)

SM OU: Empo vs 1 True Lycan | 1TL hasn't really been that impressive this tour. empo keeps rolling and i'll trust him here in the 1st game of the battle of the Gerk
SM OU: Hiye vs yjh971203 | hiye's been complete dogshit LMAO nonetheless, i'll give him the edge against a more unknown quantity
SM UU: Pearl vs Shiba | idk anythin about how good shiba is LOL zomog seems to hav given up on edion and his $20 LMAO that was fast vros. pearls fire flames heat. free win
SM RU: passion vs Nat | shocker, the ruiners took dickass redemption out of RU and passion scoops up a win oml. nat seems to be on tilt but i'll still favor her here based on past expectations and the larger sample size.
SM NU: LAX vs Garay oak | lax finally lost last week but this seems to be a good bounce back spot. garay won last week but he's been pretty bad the other 2 weeks
SM DOU: Croven vs EmbCPT | better player from what ive seen
ORAS OU: imsosorrylol vs baddummy | LOL sorry and cdumas had one of the worst games last week jesus christ LOL baddummy's been pretty unimpressive like...not rly sure about this LOL i still think he's better than sorry tho
BW OU: Rewer vs ZoroDark | rewer got unlucky last week but i still don't think it's a good idea to roll out Rewer as your BW OU starter in 2019 LMAO like come on. zoroclick is better.
DPP OU: Jimmy Turtwig vs Void | i'm not as high on jimmy as other ppl so. i think void's way more proven in dpp and i think he's a more solid player
ADV OU: Hyogafodex vs thelinearcurve | linear's the best player in the pool and idk who tf this clown is that hes playing LOL
GSC OU: Lavos vs Earthworm | lavos is the best player in the pool and earthworm's had some subpar showings lately. should be a fun one though
RBY OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Bedschibaer | fomg's been relatively impressive and beds hasn't been that great

what a fitting end to the Gerk week. the tie...also can we just point out that zom just benched his 25k player in week 3 LOL jesus finch.

Dragonspiral Tyrants (6) vs Ever Grande BIGS (6)

SM OU: Mana vs Sabella | this is an interesting one. i would have picked sabella in week 1 off principle but i think mana seems to be returning back to his previous form. peak mana is a better player so gonna go with that.
SM OU: blunder vs Cdumas | idk what has happened with cdumas this tour. the normally reliable franchise player has been a shell of himself, making careless mistakes and ending up with an 0-3 record. i think blunder's a better player so.
SM UU: Christo vs Sage | sage has been struggling this year, although she did get a bit unlucky week 1. christo's about as good as i thought he'd be and i think he's a better player
SM RU: aim vs KW | speaking of struggling, kw seems to have run into a wall. the florges crit vs passion was pretty big, but i think he could have played better nonetheless. joey has rebounded from his week 1 showing vs pohjis and i think he's a better player, as evidenced by the ShakeItUp Power Rankings
SM NU: ict vs Kushalos | leon's looked solid but i like kushalos more right now. i think his techs will hit as it did in lax's game and bring him the win
SM DOU: emforbes vs Lunar. | idk that much about how good lunar is doubles. nonetheless, toxic ass emi is a renowned doubles player and i'll give him the edge
ORAS OU: Poek vs xray | poek still hasnt killed a mon in spl...bad looks LOL i think he'll rebound still and hav faith in him. however, the scanner is 3-0 and i like him much more in oras than sm. small edge
BW OU: We Three Kings vs FLCL | both these players r 3-0...and both are lucky as fuck jesus LMAO i think flcl's slightly more solid overall
DPP OU: GaryTheGengar vs soulgazer | yeah i dont really have that much faith in gary's playing ability still. i'm HEAT in spl and just smashed the fuck out of jimmy LMAO easy win
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Golden Sun | happened already. god ursaring
GSC OU: sulcata vs choolio | sulcata was overpriced as fuck. choolio hasn't fared so well so far but hes definitely better than his 0-2 record suggests. going with the bounce back here
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Nails | nails has impressed this spl and troller switches chansey on zam's twave on turn 1. hard pass.

Lopunny Kicks 40 : 60 Eternal Spirit

Hard not to favor a player as strong as Gama. He’s been performing very well and looks to be on top of his game, this is a highlight match for sure though!

Will of Fire 40 : 60 Sacri'

Not to overlook WoF here, because I know he’s a competent player, but Sacri'’s been playing really well as of late only losing to bro fist but in a really close game.

—————

BHARATH_THEBEST 35 : 65 bro fist

Bro fist got a hard-fought win last week and is arguably the best player on the SM OU poll so I think he has the clear edge here.

Leru 35 : 65 Talah

Despite his record not making it quite clear, I feel like Talah’s been—for the most part—playing really well the last couple of weeks and I believe that will translate into a win like it did week one.

—————

Kickasser 45 : 55 Tricking

Both are currently 3-0 with outstanding performances so this definitely looks like the match of the week for me. Giving Tricking the slightest of edges, but it really could go either way.

Charmflash 55 : 45 Tamahome
I’ve predicted against Charmflash all weeks prior and it never resulted in the 10 points I was hoping for so I’ll change things up this time around, Charmflash’s thing worked thrice already, why not once more?

—————

Empo 65 : 35 1 True Lycan
Empo’s looking sharp, currently 3-0 as well so I believe he has the edge in this match too. Both are strong players though, will be interesting to watch this one.

Hiye 55 : 45 yjh971203
Yjh971203 played well in last year’s WCoP if I recall correctly? But Hiye’s a very strong player, I feel like he has a slight edge here. Will be interesting to see both play their first SM OU game this SPL though.

—————

Mana 55 : 45 Sabella
While both are powerful players, I believe Mana has been slightly better as of late, so he gets the edge in my book.

blunder 55 : 45 Cdumas
Cdumas should have probably won last week if it wasn’t for the flinch so I’m surely not cutting him out and he’s definitely a strong contender, however he’s playing the goat blunder. Blunder has a great start over in ORAS and I’m sure that confidence will pass onto SM. Will be a great match too though!​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)