Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Hello guys, KhaiHZ here, apparently new here. So quick question, I wanted to reply on other thread, but somehow there's a text saying, "I have insufficient privileges to reply". I really wonder why is that? Thanks
Hello! That message implies that the thread is locked, and you can't post there. In the thread list you will see a lock symbol indicating the same. Cheers.

Hello, I have a question about running Adamant or Jolly for DD M-Tyranitar and speed calculations for MEvos:

With an Adamant nature and 252 Spe EVs, pre M-Evo Tyranitar sits at 221 Speed.
With a Jolly nature and 252 Spe EVs, pre M-Evo Tyranitar sits at 243 Speed.

With an Adamant nature and 252 Spe EVs, Bisharp sits at 239 Spe.

Lets say I bring in 221 Spe Adamant pre-MEvo Tar in on 239 Spe Bisharp - Even if I choose to MEvo Tyranitar that turn, Bisharp will still hit first, correct? However, if I'm Jolly pre-MEvo TTar and I choose to MEvo, I hit first, correct?

Hello, I have a question about running Adamant or Jolly for DD M-Tyranitar and speed calculations for MEvos:

With an Adamant nature and 252 Spe EVs, pre M-Evo Tyranitar sits at 221 Speed.
With a Jolly nature and 252 Spe EVs, pre M-Evo Tyranitar sits at 243 Speed.

With an Adamant nature and 252 Spe EVs, Bisharp sits at 239 Spe.

Lets say I bring in 221 Spe Adamant pre-MEvo Tar in on 239 Spe Bisharp - Even if I choose to MEvo Tyranitar that turn, Bisharp will still hit first, correct? However, if I'm Jolly pre-MEvo TTar and I choose to MEvo, I hit first, correct?
Yes, on the turn you Mega-Evolve the original Pokemon's stats are considered.

Is there a mathematical reason (or a post explaining it) the 3.4% cutoff for tier shifts (although I hear it's now 4.52% for rise and 2.28% for drop). Like where do these numbers come from? Are they arbitrary?

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What are trophy points and how do you get them?
Trophy points are just a system that's there by default to xenforo users. Smogon doesn't use them, but the super mods like screw around and give themselves some just cuz they can.
Is there a mathematical reason (or a post explaining it) the 3.4% cutoff for tier shifts (although I hear it's now 4.52% for rise and 2.28% for drop). Like where do these numbers come from? Are they arbitrary?
The 3.41% cutoff is the probability that you will have a 50% of seeing a Pokemon in 20 ladder matches. The new numbers are just for this shift because of various reasons. Here's the thread detailing the process

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm kinda new to all this, so I don't really know the proper protocol or procedure. I don't mean to be rude and post in the wrong place or anything, but I'm not quite sure how any of this works. It all looks very confusing to me, but I'm sure I'm just not used to it.

Anyway, I was honestly just wondering if there was a thread on Monotype teams floating about? I'm having difficulty choosing which Pokémon fit on my team and wanted an outside opinion; but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to interrupt, but I'm kinda new to all this, so I don't really know the proper protocol or procedure. I don't mean to be rude and post in the wrong place or anything, but I'm not quite sure how any of this works. It all looks very confusing to me, but I'm sure I'm just not used to it.

Anyway, I was honestly just wondering if there was a thread on Monotype teams floating about? I'm having difficulty choosing which Pokémon fit on my team and wanted an outside opinion; but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.
Here you go :)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-xy-read-post-393-for-tiering-updates.3493087/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-oms-mega-thread.3523928/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-viability-rankings.3517737/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-good-cores-v2.3519342/

Out of curiosity, my question for today is if there is any documentary telling the story of Competitive Pokémon Battlers in the VGC tournaments like the FRAG Documentary: History of Pro-Gaming that tells the struggles and dark side of E-sports in the early days, the lifestyle of competitive gamers, and many more conflicts with society. Or the StarCraft: World Cybergames 2005 Documentary by National Geographic showing the tale of Korean E-Sports tourney on StarCraft and the Gaming culture of South Korea. Or Free to Play: The Movie which tells the story of a few popular Dota 2 competitive players like Navi's leader Dendi and one of China's most popular teams on DOTA2: EHOME. Or one of the latest I watched, The Smash Brothers, which tells the real life story of the 7 famous competitive players in Super Smash Bros Melee whenever they play the game, and their daily lives out of the game.

The reason I am asking this is because I wanted to see and learn as to how people outside of the gaming community view a professional career being worthwhile or not, the conflicts with passionate gamers to society and their families, and hear their opinions if Video games could possibly be as famous as real life sports. So please watch the four video links first to understand my concerning question. I hope there is one for the Pokémon TGC and VGC. And due to the recent support that Nintendo and Game Freak are doing for the competitive communities of Pokémon, it got me thinking that MAYBE there is a show telling the struggle of playing for fame in the Pokémon Worlds and Regional tournaments like in The International from the DOTA2 community where to win first is more than just the money.

Was there a Smogon Video that sort of matches the video links that I give reference to?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
jireh the provider as far as I know there is no feature length documentary, although there are many individual interviews, both by the Pokemon company themselves and independent eSports journalism organizations. One of those is actually how I found out about the site in the first place.

I think the problem is just that the VGC scene is just not as big as the competitive scenes of other eSports (especially when you consider VGC doesn't even include every competitive player). And while there are quite a few competitive Pokemon players, professional Pokemon players (as in, players who can make a living off their earnings or sponsorships) are rare, if they even exist at all. Ray Rizzo, probably the most successful player, is attending college and looking for work. Compare this to the countless StarCraft 2 professionals who drop out of college or high school and live their entire lives off income from their team sponsorships. I just don't think there's any serious money in the Pokemon scene, at least just yet.

I'm not speaking from experience but I don't think it completely takes over your life like being a professional in another game. There are not nearly as many tournaments and there is plenty of free time, enough for the best players to be continuing their education/careers and having a life outside of the game while still competing at the highest level. I don't think we really need a documentary to show the crazy lives of competitive players at this point, because honestly I don't think it's that much different from normal just yet.

In short words, I think the competitive Pokemon scene just isn't big enough yet to attract a serious feature length documentary filmmaker, although I hope it will be soon. If you're really, really curious though, interviews and articles give a pretty good glimpse, and there are plenty of VGC players on this site and on Nugget Bridge that you can always ask to get some insight.

i am a super noob on this, how do i join tournaments? i am playing omega ruby now, i use it with my nintendo ds to join tournaments right? i sm really sorry for the super noob question

i am a super noob on this, how do i join tournaments? i am playing omega ruby now, i use it with my nintendo ds to join tournaments right? i sm really sorry for the super noob question
You can see the tournament forums here. These are mostly played on Smogon's official simulator, Pokemon Showdown, but you will also find Wi-Fi tournaments there where you can exchange Friend Codes I assume. Wi-Fi tournaments are administered here.

What words are supposed to be filtered out(so I and other users can avoid them)?
EDIT: nope they're still filtered

The words f@ggot and n1gger (honestly had no better way to do this) are censored. It's not really a big deal if you use those words; it's not an offence in any way.

^^^
adding on to what mont said, IRC is also an option, and using skype doesn't necessarily mean you have to voice chat, you can text through skype too
I like to use skype for personal things, and personal things alone, not even via text chat. Anything that includes voice chat functionality is a no-no for me, even if it's completely optional. Isn't live-chat good enough?

Sorry if I'm being picky here, but due to personal influence in my private life, I have a very strict set of rules for how I communicate on the internet.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like to use skype for personal things, and personal things alone, not even via text chat. Anything that includes voice chat functionality is a no-no for me, even if it's completely optional. Isn't live-chat good enough?

Sorry if I'm being picky here, but due to personal influence in my private life, I have a very strict set of rules for how I communicate on the internet.
Skype is just another option for you to communicate with your tutor, there's multiple ways to communicate, such as irc and PS!. Its definitely okay if you dont want to use skype.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What Xylen said. IRC /is/ live chat btw (here is a guide that explains what it is), and we totally respect your privacy here at Smogon UniversityTM

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
for some reason i can't open anybody's profile, including mine, making it impossible to VM someone or check VMs to me and stuff

Hi could anybody give me a in depth explaination about the smogons mentorship/help. I really want to join or apply but I have many questions.

-what is it
-do we have to pay
-where can I apply
-How will it help me

I hope someone can anwser my questions about the mentorship I really want to join or apply.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi could anybody give me a in depth explaination about the smogons mentorship/help. I really want to join or apply but I have many questions.

-what is it
-do we have to pay
-where can I apply
-How will it help me

I hope someone can anwser my questions about the mentorship I really want to join or apply.
The Mentorship program is a program that mainly helps new users get comfortable with the Forums.
You dont have to pay for anything on Smogon.
You can ask for help through the help form, or pm one of the mentors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)