Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

How do I think in a strategic way? I'm worried that as a noob to competitive battling, I'll never be able to come up with new ideas.
Keep battling, everyone starts where you are. You have to adapt your team to the bigger threats that can destroy it. Believe me, It's easier said than done. I'm still in the 1100-1200 bracket, and can't think of what to replace. Haha.

Just lurk the threads and posts a little bit more to get a better understanding of terms and how to play. :3
In the end it all boils down to practice, though.

How do I think in a strategic way? I'm worried that as a noob to competitive battling, I'll never be able to come up with new ideas.
Imo, you cant tell someone how to think in a strategic way. but it's all about your mindset. Like Cerib said, keep battling and get a better understanding of the metagame. I assume you pretty much know the basics of type match-ups and such, so just think of your weaknesses and how to cover them, and also once you battle more you'll notice the more common types in whichever tier you choose to battle in so you can start thinking about how to take them out while still protecting yourself.

As for team set-ups, you can go for a balanced team with a few sweepers, a nice wall or two, and some good support mons, or you can go for a wall team and try to toxic or burn stall. there are many stategies and as you battle you'll find more than you ever knew existed.

Ok, I have a few questions.

1: In your "battling 101" tutoring program, how exactly does one interact with a tutor? Does it happen on Pokemon Showdown, the game itself, and/or live chat?

2: What exactly is a "round"? I noticed it on the schedule thingy.

3: Whats the difference between the mentor-ship program, and the tutoring program?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are there any tournament applications open now?
There are always tournaments going on in the respective tiers thread list, along with tournaments going on in the tournaments section of smogon, http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/tournaments.34/
You just look for any that say signups and post in, after reading the OP. Right now Farmleague is going on which is a big smogon tournament open to everyone found [thread=season-6-farm-league-sign-ups.3524883/]here.[/thread]
Ok, I have a few questions.

1: In your "battling 101" tutoring program, how exactly does one interact with a tutor? Does it happen on Pokemon Showdown, the game itself, and/or live chat?

2: What exactly is a "round"? I noticed it on the schedule thingy.

3: Whats the difference between the mentor-ship program, and the tutoring program?
The battling 101 program is designed to teach users how to battle competitively in a tier of their choosing. You can interact through a number of ways, irc, skype, or on PokemonShowdown. You will end up playing on one of the servers, probably PokemonShowdown.
You sign up for a round and get paired with a tutor, within that rounds timeframe your tutor will help you get better at competitive battling.
The mentorship program is to help you get better situated within smogon itself, while the tutor program is more designed to help improve your competitive battling skills.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
Can someone explain to me what's the deal with King's Shield's priority? The reason I ask is because both Bulbapedia and Smogon list it as +3 while Serebii lists it as +4. The +3 answer doesn't make much sense to me because that means it would share the same priority bracket as Fake Out, and a faster Kangaskhan with Scrappy using Fake Out aught to be able to beat out King's Shield due to it's faster speed. Of course, this doesn't happen in-game.

Hi, can I ask is it possible to obtain more than one leftovers, through theifing/ etc other methods in oras thanks

Hi, can I ask is it possible to obtain more than one leftovers, through theifing/ etc other methods in oras thanks
I suggest you just ask here

I did the pickup method with 6 lv. 100 pickup mons and after 30 hours I had ~5 leftovers. It's really not worth it imo...
If you really need leftovers just ask in the thread I linked you above.

The battling 101 program is designed to teach users how to battle competitively in a tier of their choosing. You can interact through a number of ways, irc, skype, or on PokemonShowdown.
Alright, so if I don't want to interact via voice chat, I don't have to right? It's all optional I assume?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so if I don't want to interact via voice chat, I don't have to right? It's all optional I assume?
You really should be open to how your tutor wants to communicate, but if you really wanted to then you could only communicate on PS / forums.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^^^
adding on to what mont said, IRC is also an option, and using skype doesn't necessarily mean you have to voice chat, you can text through skype too

Hello guys, KhaiHZ here, apparently new here. So quick question, I wanted to reply on other thread, but somehow there's a text saying, "I have insufficient privileges to reply". I really wonder why is that? Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)