Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

FrocoTerra

Banned deucer.
This is more generally about the forum in general, but how do you hide walls of text? As in, when people do calcs but they don't want to fill their post with them, so they have those expanding boxes you can view. How do you do that?

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
This is more generally about the forum in general, but how do you hide walls of text? As in, when people do calcs but they don't want to fill their post with them, so they have those expanding boxes you can view. How do you do that?
Use this:

[Hide='Title'] TEXT [/Hide]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I wanted to make a post regarding a Pokémon build I am working on. It is just a single Pokémon, but I wanted to have someone review/rate if regarding the nature, EV spread, and moveset I selected for it. Where can I go to make such a post?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so I wanted to make a post regarding a Pokémon build I am working on. It is just a single Pokémon, but I wanted to have someone review/rate if regarding the nature, EV spread, and moveset I selected for it. Where can I go to make such a post?
What tier is that Pokemon in?
To answer your question, if you'd like to share a set for a Pokemon you should post it in the respective tier's np (now playing) thread in their competitive discussion subforum.
For example, here is the np thread for the NU tier.
Sorry if this was a bit wordy :P

People always use the following Rotom-W set:

Hydro Pump/Surf
T-Bolt/Volt Switch
Will-o-Wisp
Protect/Pain Split/Rest

I NEVER see Will-o AND T-Wave on the same set. How come? Rotom hass access to both. I think I could work well. What's the reasonong behind not having both? I thonk that T-Wave has way more value than Protect/Pain Split/Rest on it's set. The coverage it brings is immense.

Hydro Pump/Surf
T-Bolt/Volt Switch
Will-o-Wisp
Protect/Pain Split/Rest

I NEVER see Will-o AND T-Wave on the same set. How come? Rotom hass access to both. I think I could work well. What's the reasonong behind not having both? I thonk that T-Wave has way more value than Protect/Pain Split/Rest on it's set. The coverage it brings is immense.
Small nitpick, Rotom can't learn surf

Anyways, the reason it's bad is because a pokemon can only have one status at one time (barring Confusion). I can't really explain this well, but if you want to be creative and use your own set, go ahead and use Will-O and T-Wave on the same set.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What are TSVs and how do they work?
They're shiny values. Basically there's a set sequence of numbers that your trainer in-game has. If those match the one the Pokemon has, they will be shiny. Therefore you send an egg to a trainer who has a value that matches the one that your Pokemon has (because those values determine shininess) and they will always hatch it as a shiny. Check out this thread if you wanna know yours http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...l-f-for-the-tsv-with-the-format-0000.3526643/

After you've done that you can get an egg with good IVs checked and then contact someone with a matching shiny value in that thread and they can help you make it shiny, although it'll have their name and not yours.

They're shiny values. Basically there's a set sequence of numbers that your trainer in-game has. If those match the one the Pokemon has, they will be shiny. Therefore you send an egg to a trainer who has a value that matches the one that your Pokemon has (because those values determine shininess) and they will always hatch it as a shiny. Check out this thread if you wanna know yours http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...l-f-for-the-tsv-with-the-format-0000.3526643/

After you've done that you can get an egg with good IVs checked and then contact someone with a matching shiny value in that thread and they can help you make it shiny, although it'll have their name and not yours.
How do you check the eggs IVs before it hatches?
Also thanks for the info.

Hydro Pump/Surf
T-Bolt/Volt Switch
Will-o-Wisp
Protect/Pain Split/Rest

You could definitely try it out. It might catch people off guard since they won't expect it. I like it, since you can cripple both physical hard hitters and fast special attackers.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How do you check the eggs IVs before it hatches?
Also thanks for the info.
Save then hatch them, check the IVs at the IV checker place and shut off. The eggs will be back as new, and since the IVs are determined when you get the egg, the egg IVs will remain the same when you hatch again in the other users game.

Save then hatch them, check the IVs at the IV checker place and shut off. The eggs will be back as new, and since the IVs are determined when you get the egg, the egg IVs will remain the same when you hatch again in the other users game.
Ok, but can you explain me what TSV hatching is (I might have got the name wrong...)?

Hey guys, sorry if I'm doing this incorrectly I'm just getting used to competitive pokemon. I caught this modest heatran that has an iv spread of 31/x/21/31/31/31 is that little bit of defense going to get him killed? If so should i reset or keep it?

So, I got a new laptop recently and now avatars aren't showing up right on this computer: http://prntscr.com/6ifb0m
Does anyone know of a way I can fix this? It seems like something on my end, not a bug with Smogon since it worked fine on my old laptop.

Hey guys, sorry if I'm doing this incorrectly I'm just getting used to competitive pokemon. I caught this modest heatran that has an iv spread of 31/x/21/31/31/31 is that little bit of defense going to get him killed? If so should i reset or keep it?
Ask in the Wi-Fi forum.

i gotta few questions. most of them involve somethin i saw of gfaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792673-pokemon-omega-ruby/71416279

two things, 1, are people allowed to take snapshots of pms, because if they cant, then this guy or girl wildshot done smething wrong
2 did she really just get his post deleted because of that. it seemed on topic to me

last [im sorry if im breking rules by asking this] but isnt this a community ladder? smogon, by the community, for the community. at the very least, could we not look into how popular a ladder that has no Megas would be specially considering how this ladder's name might get someone's hopes up for something that .

Hi, I've done a search through Google and on the site itself. I can't seem to find a list of the tiers. I've found plenty of posts regarding what is banned in each tier, but nothing that lists out each Pokemon separated into their distinct tiers. It'd be extremely beneficial when trying to put together random teams for certain tiers. Thank you! :)

Hi, I've done a search through Google and on the site itself. I can't seem to find a list of the tiers. I've found plenty of posts regarding what is banned in each tier, but nothing that lists out each Pokemon separated into their distinct tiers. It'd be extremely beneficial when trying to put together random teams for certain tiers. Thank you! :)
The reason for this is because the tiers are updated based on monthly usage, so they change often. If you want to see a list of Pokemon in each tier as they exist at the time of teambuilding, go to PS and search in the teambuilder.

Hello everyone. Sorry if this isnt meant to be here, but i was browsing for the right place and was getting a bit confused o.o

Anyway, I have been building some competitive sets, and came across Loudred. While it says it is a sample set, the moves listed are clearly impossible for Loudred (Only Exploud can learn Surf, Focus Blast and Boomburst and the moves arent listed on Loudred page either :P ). Is there somewhere i can report this as a possible oversight or something?

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
Hello everyone. Sorry if this isnt meant to be here, but i was browsing for the right place and was getting a bit confused o.o

Anyway, I have been building some competitive sets, and came across Loudred. While it says it is a sample set, the moves listed are clearly impossible for Loudred (Only Exploud can learn Surf, Focus Blast and Boomburst and the moves arent listed on Loudred page either :P ). Is there somewhere i can report this as a possible oversight or something?
I think it inherits from the main Pokemon on the evolution list (so the final evolution) but not 100% sure on this so highlighting Oglemi to clear it up.

I'll add that to the tiering FAQ sticky soon just so everything is there for reference.

I think it inherits from the main Pokemon on the evolution list (so the final evolution) but not 100% sure on this so highlighting Oglemi to clear it up.

I'll add that to the tiering FAQ sticky soon just so everything is there for reference.

Well Loudred comes before Exploud, so i cant see how it would inherit from Exploud XD

But thanks for looking into it! I was quite confused for a while haha

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
So, I got a new laptop recently and now avatars aren't showing up right on this computer: http://prntscr.com/6ifb0m
Does anyone know of a way I can fix this? It seems like something on my end, not a bug with Smogon since it worked fine on my old laptop.
when did you get the new laptop? cos it's been like this since weeks for me, and some of my frens have this as well. idk why it happens tho :/

CONOR KELLY

Banned deucer.
In Pokemon Diamond/Pearl the Champion has a Spirit tomb which is the best to send in to one shot ko the spirit tomb.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
i gotta few questions. most of them involve somethin i saw of gfaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792673-pokemon-omega-ruby/71416279

two things, 1, are people allowed to take snapshots of pms, because if they cant, then this guy or girl wildshot done smething wrong
2 did she really just get his post deleted because of that. it seemed on topic to me

last [im sorry if im breking rules by asking this] but isnt this a community ladder? smogon, by the community, for the community. at the very least, could we not look into how popular a ladder that has no Megas would be specially considering how this ladder's name might get someone's hopes up for something that .
Oops didn't see this before. People can take screenshots of PMs, and if they post them on other sites there's nothing we can do, but if they leak confidential stuff then they'll generally get punished. Moderators of certain forums have different ways of moderating stuff. OU is a lot more serious than any other forum here for the most part, so if he really wants to know he can PM the mod that deleted it, otherwise it's not really gamefaq's business.

The ladder does exist but it's just not the official metagame that's all. c:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)