Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have more of a technological issue. My sprites have been changed even though i havent done anything to do so. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so how to change them back to the original sprites?
Is this PS? Do you have a screenshot for it?

I've noticed Smogon is heavily encourages Showdown however I've always been using Pokemon Online for a while, at a friends suggestion. Is one better than the other? and is there a specific reason Smogon heavily endorse PS?

Also in the first post under the rules it says you shouldn't be making threads. Isn't that the point of being on forums?

I've noticed Smogon is heavily encourages Showdown however I've always been using Pokemon Online for a while, at a friends suggestion. Is one better than the other? and is there a specific reason Smogon heavily endorse PS?

Also in the first post under the rules it says you shouldn't be making threads. Isn't that the point of being on forums?
Pokemon Online is highly popular with older players simply because it's been around for a much longer time, and I assume there's a sense of community. As well, Pokemon Showdown often tends to have a lot of lag, so people prefer PO simply because you can get more battles at a faster pace. As for why Smogon endorses PS, it was designed and coded by a member of the Smogon Community.

Is there anywhere on this forum that you can come up with concepts for new Mega Evolutions?

I've been talking in the Pokémon Showdown chat about this, but chats have a nasty tendency to fill very quickly. I was presenting different Pokémon that could probably use Mega Evolutions, and trying to discuss what their new typing would be, what new ability they might have, and how their stat array could change.

I looked around, but I didn't see anything like that on the forum.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

When it says "read before posting a thread" or similar, what it means is that ask a question here instead of posting a new thread for the sole purpose of asking said question. For example, instead of posting a thread like "What is the set for Scarf Kyogre?", you should ask that in one of the Questions threads.

Why did Smogon get rid of the snazzy descriptions on every Pokemon? That's what made the pokedex entries so interesting. I'm not talking about moveset descriptions, but the ones where you'd read one on a Pokemon just to hear it that it sucks.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why did Smogon get rid of the snazzy descriptions on every Pokemon? That's what made the pokedex entries so interesting. I'm not talking about moveset descriptions, but the ones where you'd read one on a Pokemon just to hear it that it sucks.
The current version of the pokedex doesn't include the overview unfortunately, but the next version is being worked on. As for stuff like metapod or whatever that obviously isn't viable, we've decided not to write analyses on pokemon that aren't viable as the extra work wasn't necessary.

The current version of the pokedex doesn't include the overview unfortunately, but the next version is being worked on. As for stuff like metapod or whatever that obviously isn't viable, we've decided not to write analyses on pokemon that aren't viable as the extra work wasn't necessary.
I hope one is being written for Magikarp as that's arguably the best and most versatile pokemon in the whole game.

I know this is going to sound fairly newbish, but I'll ask anyway. My question is about base stats. Now in sites like serebii and such I've often seen things referred to as "above average" and "below average" in terms of base stats, now my actual question is, do we have a definition of what the "average" is? So is it like a specific number like 90 or something?

I know this is going to sound fairly newbish, but I'll ask anyway. My question is about base stats. Now in sites like serebii and such I've often seen things referred to as "above average" and "below average" in terms of base stats, now my actual question is, do we have a definition of what the "average" is? So is it like a specific number like 90 or something?
This is actually pretty relative to individual metagames (average for OU vs NU vs LC is all drastically different.) While it holds true for any base stat, it's probably most noticeable in Speed.

Looking at OU, 100 has always been a pretty good base Speed benchmark. Pokemon that are or have been notable in older gens of OU at base 100 Speed include Jirachi, Zapdos, Celebi, Mew, Shaymin, Volcarona, Salamence, Charizard + Megas, Mega Gardevoir, Manaphy, Miltank, Flygon, Tentacuel, Ninetails, and Staraptor. It's a pretty large and relevant group, which is why Pokemon that creep past them (such as the Latis, Terrakion, Keldeo, Gengar, Tauros, Infernape, and even closer cases like Garchomp and Landorus) are viewed as relatively fast / above-average.

Ok, I'm trying to breed a Skarmory. I have a female skarmory with Whirlwind, Stealth Rock, Drill Peck, and Curse. The Male is a Talon Flame with Brave Bird. I tried breeding them together, but the babies aren't getting Brave Bird and are keeping all four of the female's moves. How do I get a baby Skarmory with Whirlwind, Curse, Drill Peck, and Brave Bird?

QueBien

I have an "issue" with the alert system. I check my Watched Threads list and I have a bunch of unread ones, but I never got any alerts for any of them! I know for sure I have the boxes checked for "receive an alert when someone replies to a thread you're watching" etc. but I still don't receive any alerts. ?_?

EDIT: Sometimes I receive an alert, other times I don't.

Ok, I'm trying to breed a Skarmory. I have a female skarmory with Whirlwind, Stealth Rock, Drill Peck, and Curse. The Male is a Talon Flame with Brave Bird. I tried breeding them together, but the babies aren't getting Brave Bird and are keeping all four of the female's moves. How do I get a baby Skarmory with Whirlwind, Curse, Drill Peck, and Brave Bird?
Go to the Move Deleter and get rid of Stealth Rock. Then breed again~

Jellicent said:
Looking at OU, 100 has always been a pretty good base Speed benchmark. Pokemon that are or have been notable in older gens of OU at base 100 Speed include Jirachi, Zapdos, Celebi, Mew, Shaymin, Volcarona, Salamence, Charizard + Megas, Mega Gardevoir, Manaphy, Miltank, Flygon, Tentacuel, Ninetails, and Staraptor. It's a pretty large and relevant group, which is why Pokemon that creep past them (such as the Latis, Terrakion, Keldeo, Gengar, Tauros, Infernape, and even closer cases like Garchomp and Landorus) are viewed as relatively fast / above-average.
Ok, so in OU 100 base speed is considered average, how about the other stats? Sorry for the newb questions, but I keep getting contradictory stuff from google so....yeah I feel comfortable asking experts for help!

QueBien

When I edit a post, sometimes that little note appears at the bottom right corner that says "last edited: whenever", and sometimes it doesn't. What's the time span required for when Smogon shows the last edit and when it doesn't?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)