Smogon: Why you came here and why you stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. This must be my first post in about three years. Matured a lot since high school (in my opinion). Hope to start really getting back into pokemon again :)

Starting Pokemon.......

Well I started on the Anime and the Cards. I wzs SOOO into it, until I realized the show was crap and there were better carc games out there... like magic lol. Anyway I finally purchased my first Pokemon game, Pokemon Silver. Perhaps the greatest poke game ever. From there I got Red Blue, Pokemon Stadium 1, 2, Snap. All great games. As I out grew the whole pokemon craze as a fan, I learned to appreciate the RPG Pokemon games more. And it became an addiction. I went on to get Pokemon Ruby, Firered, Collesium (GC), XD:Gale of Darkness (GC), Emerald, Pearl, and most recently Platinum. (I cant wait for the new Silver remake BTW). Yeah, so thats how I got in to poggeymanz.

Finding Smogon....

Well I like some of the others out there new about it for a while, just never got around to making an account here... Well i statred off at Neoseeker, which is where I first learned about smogon, and well, pretty much all I know about Competitive Pokemon today. I guess part of the reason I waited so long to come here, was intimidation. I didnt want to feel like some n00b who knew nothing of comp play. So instead I waited. I learned ALOT at Neoseeker. And I was waiting till I felt ready to come here. It came about because I have pretty much becoms the best battler there, Ive beaten all the other comp players there. But dont think I assume Im really good or anything, cause I highly doubt it. I came here for the explicit reason of ascending to a new level of skill, something I can bring back to Neo, and any other forums I encounter, that will jusf blow everyone away. So here I am, I plan on also enlisting in the tutoring program here. Would that be helpful to me?

Well anyway...

Why would I stay, eh?

I'd stay for the sole purpose of getting stronger, and meeting new people. Thats generic, but whatever. Its why i'm here lol.

Oh yeah, YAY FOR MY FIRST POST!

I actually lurked for a long time, because I thought if I do 1 dumb thing, I;ll get banned. So I was on other forums and then one crashes. ( You know which ) and I am forced to go to another forum. That's how I ended up here.

Hey guys, I just joined.

I baught platinum a few weeks ago, and I fell in love with it.
I learned about competitive battling, and I decided I really want to be a part of it one day. You guys are really legendary and helpful.

How i found pokemon...
well it all started in school, pokemanz was the biggest thing in the world. From the show, to the cards, to games, and because we live near mexico, tapas. Tapas take me back, it's the reason gliscor is one of my favorite pokemon. But I'm getting sidetracked. Well everyone around me was into pokemon, well... the boys anyway. I was the poor kid though, no one knew it though. My parents sacrificed a lot to send me to private school for better education, so all the kids around me had somewhat rich parents. My friends talked about pokemon all the time, so i wanted to know what the big deal was. I asked for the tv channel, but it was some channel that i didn't have because poor kids don't get cable. So instead i found digimon on the local fox channel. I kinda introduced digimon to my friends but still pokemon was the major thing. Well then one of my friends gave me a pokemon deck, starter, you know the one, with the machamp. good times... the first booster pack i bought, and the only one, had a moltres in it, i was so lucky. Well anyways everyone had either red or blue and i was the only one left out. well as yellow came out. My parents got economically better, so then they were able to get me yellow and a gbc for christmas. Well I actually never got into battling, i rarely saw my friends as they lived sort of far away and all that, and games were banned during school. So i beat the game yellow multiple times, you know different challenges. Like using only ash's pokemons, or only unevolved pokemon, or all the same type's and all that. Then silver got out I got that too. I never actually battled during g/s/c so when i actually got to this site i was surprised to find most of the pokemon i used and relied on were NU. Well i never actually got a gba so getting pokemon in that generation didn't happen. Well time went on, pokemon was an enjoyable memory, every know and then i play a quick run through one of them.

How i found smogon...
Then senior year, new friends and all that. My bus mate was playing pokemon platinum, it just came out. I asked how the game has changed, and what he was doing. He was breeding. I asked why he kept breeding the same pokemon. Well he explained most of the strategy to me, about how natures make a differences, and IVs and EVs, and getting different moves. He mentioned this site and serebii, for the more in depth info. It wasn't until he mentioned wifi battling that actually got me interested. I never actually got to battle remember, and that was what the original games were all about. So i actually bought diamond before i bought a ds. and here i am now.

How it Started: I initially got into pokemon when I was 5 years old after I laid eyes on the cards my older brother brought home from school. I was enthralled with the Pikachu, Rattata, Nidos, and Beedrill cards in addition to my first holofoils Machamp and Zapdos. In school they would eventually become banned and they took away my brothers cards as an example to the school. I was devastated and wanted to murder my principle. Soon it would evolve into playing red on the gameboy with all of the things like Missingno and gray giant gamesboys and link cables. It was at the height of the pokemon craze and I couldn't get enough of it the show, the movies, the games, the toys, the cards (I had 5 Misty's Tears aka the Naked Misty Card). When I turned 8? I stopped playing pokemon due to the loss of my red and yellow cartridges. Then one day at my friends house in his room I stole his Pokemon Crystal. Evil yes but satisfying my urge to play was like being home alone and jacking off when all of a sudden you hear the car door shut and someones coming through the door but you want to *** . I brought it home and rekindled my love for pokemon. Soon after though I got ridiculed for playing :( by my older brother and his friends, everyone was too cool to play pokemon so I threw my Crystal as far as I could in my backyard into the dirt (true story lol). After this horrific event, at a garage sale I let my dad give away my whole 151 card set including my japanese Bellosom for free. He asked me right to my face "Do you want this?" and trying to act like a cool 9 year old I said "No" and he gave them all away to a black family for fucking free. This was the end to one of my favorite games of all time, an ending that was an insult to pokemon and pokemon fans around the world.

The Rebirth:
Maybe 3 years ago at 14 years old I was bored on my computer. The notion of pokemon haven't even crossed my brain for years. I read about an GBA emulator on the computer learned how to download and use it. I was looking through some games to download for it and there I seen "Pokemon Emerald". I was like what the hell is this? I google it and once again am thrust into the world of pokemon that I too quickly rejected. It was on bulbapedia where I cycled through every pokemon from 1 to the last poke on emerald. The old pokes brought back the memories and the new ones were exciting to see. The nostalgic void within me was filled. An empty part of my heart that could not be satisfied by any other game was fulfilled. The longing for my childhood days was temporarily over and it was like I went back into a time machine. This kind of turned into an obsession searching the internet for all I missed out. It was during this time where I learned about natures and evs and ivs from Serebii but I still wanted to find good movesets for my pokemon. I wanted to be the "very best" even though it was in-game. And then I came across a set on Smogon called Stallrein in 2007 IIRC and that's how I got here. I really thought this was like a real university it seemed so professional compared to the other sites so I lurked and then joined.

Why I stayed: I stayed because the games don't satisfy me as much anymore because the trainers are too easy. I needed a new challenge and Smogon was the best place for it. So here I am on Smogon on Shoddy battle pretty much addicted to the game I loved, lost, and found again. The Nostalgia is just unbearable to me I just wish I could go back to the time of the height of the Pokemon craze...

I've just joined Smogon. Though I've been using the shoddy server for some time and have been battling competitively for over a year now. I came here because I'm an elitist ;p I want to continue to improve my battling skills and I knew I was ready to come here. I look forward to my stay and will be here for a long while. I can't get enough of Pokemon.

For me, it all started out with Pokemon Gold version. I got it for Christmas, along with a Game Boy Color, and... well... my older brother stole it from me. He was mad Mom gave me a GBC first. He fell in love with it, and didn't give it back, so, my mom bought Silver for me. He stole that too, because, quoting him, "I haven'tcaught all 250 yet." So, as a last effort, my mom got me a used Blue version. I fell in love with Kanto even though it froze whenever i got to the S.S. Anne. I have played Pokemon ever since.

As for Smogon, long story. I think it started when I found a link to a "What Pokemon are You?" quiz in someone's sig on another forum. After taking the quiz myself, I then explored the "Cave of Dragonflies" site. As i read one of the webmaster's many discussions, I noticed a link to a "website whose specialty was Competitive Pokemon Battling", a.k.a. Smogon. From there, I stumbled onto the forums during Kitsunoh Playtesting, and started helping with the CAP project.

The main reason my post count is as high as it currently is, some of you might realize, is because I am a spriter. Smogon also did that to me. While wandering around the CAP forum, I saw many interesting avatars, the best of which were custom sprites. So yes, I started spriting just to get a cool-looking avatar, and since then, I've been hooked.

I came here a couple weeks ago after getting my ass handed to me by a friend of mine from another forum. I was researching the "metagame" of pokemans and this was one of the first pages to pop up. After skimming over some of the articles, I realized that, in spite of the fact that I've been playing pokemon since the first year it was released to the americas, and that I've owned at least 1 of the games from every generation, I know very little about the game.

I came here when D/P was announced and I heard there was going to be WiFi battling. I lurked for months, reading mostly the analysis page and trying to get better.
I think I learned a lot, and now I'm worlds better than I used to be.

I had a friend who was interested in competetive Pokemon, so to understand what he was talking about, I looked up articles on EVs and IVs until I understood all that, and then when I wanted to make a team I eventually found Smogon. However my computer wouldn't work Shoddy, so I just theorymonned in my head. (Most of my ideas turned out to not work...) Eventually, after browsing through almost every Pokemon Analysis, I decided to take a look at the forums, and I thought, what the hell, and joined. I wasn't that good at posting, and made a mistake of not lurking enough before starting to post, but I soon realized that and started to lurk moar. And so I continue to lurk (and post occasionally), and play Shoddy. I guess I've stayed because I don't go to many other sites, and this is definately the biggest forum I've been to.

I got pokemon when I was in second grade because everyone in school played. However, I didn't play seriously until I was 11 (A really young age for playing seriuously, but... Yeah).

It all started when I wanted to start playing seriously, and I read some EV, IV and such guides. I decided to download netbattle, and when I googled it I found smogn for the first time, not long after that I had started to realize what this game was really about. I was about 11 years old, so naturally i searched after some Swedish (I'm from Sweden) serious forums. Not because I couldn't speak English, but because I was a lot more comftrable talking Swedish. So, I found a site and started playing and so. They werent too serious but not any noobs either. They were familiar with terms such as EV, but they weren't any pros. After a while, we all changed forums to some other Swedish one, and April 2007 that forum layed down and everyone moved to a nintendo forum, with pokemon being a subforum. June that year DP came out. At first during the Phy/Spe split I was like "wtf?". I played for a month or so and took a long break from the game. Until May this year to be exact. Got Platinum and started out by going on the old forums every of my old pokemon mates played in. However, it was laid down. I couldn't forget Smogon, the old site I dled netbattle in, so I came and registered. I looked for other swedish forums and found a noob forum, with only one of my old mates being there. I talked to him a little (He werent my best mate, he wasn't really a mate, we just used to talk in the forums and so) and he had started at marriland. I did stick around there a while, but I got really sick when people complained when I rated a hypno with hypnosis, pshycic, psybeam and confuon 1/10. A had some nice little argues with the only good player there though. So, I stopped playing there and focused on playing here only.
Why i stayed? Well, there are nice people here, they are good at the game, really helpful and not just call you a noob when posting a RMT. Pretty obvious. I wouldn't move to another forum if I find a Swedish one. I am comftrable with talking English now and my old mates have probably stopped playing.

HOW I FOUND POKEMON
I discovered Pokemon, I don't know, maybe between Kindergarten and 1st grade? At summer camp everyone was playing TCG so I went out and bought some cards. I didn't even know the video games existed until my parents, knowing I loved Pokemon but not understanding it, got me a Pokedex (Collector's Edition) with Pokemon 1-386. I didn't understand all the video game related data at all until I finally discovered that there were video games.
So, for my ninth birthday I asked for a Nintendo DS Lite. My parents got me that and Pokemon Diamond. I played it and loved it. I found about EVs from my friend, and learned about IVs from various sources.
HOW I FOUND SMOGON
I was on YouTube watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fz04ARa60 (Marriland's battle vs Disfunction) and while he was saying how he was NOT the best player ever, he said go to Smogon to find good battlers. Well I searched up Smogon on Google, and it's pretty obvious what I found. For a LONG time I only used this place for the Pokemon strategies. I didn't have WiFi. Then, I FINALLY got the Nintendo USB WiFi Connector. Now I had WiFi, but no one to battle because the only friend Ihad who knew about competitive battling had stopped playing Pokemon. So then I joined Smogon, and here I am.
WHY I STAYED
That's pretty obvious. This place is AWESOME! Most people are actually smart, I can have intelligent conversations, and most importantly, I can get battles and trades.

That's my story. I hope it added to the thread, made your day better, and entertained you.

I came here because TeamUber seemed like a very angry community... I'm hoping this place will be nicer.

Plus the competetive battling stuff on the site is great help.

It's a shame there are no pages (or at least none that I've seen) for little cup. )=

Hey guys,I got into Pokemon when the anime came out,I remember seeing an ad and thinking thats gona be terrible....boy was I wrong. Iv played every game so far(eg Red,Yellow,Gold,Ruby,Sapphire,Pearl and Diamond....saving for Platinum now). I got really into it cause my two younger brothers are really into it too and I played a lot with them.

The reason I joined Smogon is because in the past I usually just played the game and that was it,but when I played Diamond for the first time I wanted to catch them all because of WiFi and I was on the net and I learned about EV training etc....Im just wondering(sorry if this annoys anyone for posting this here but Im not sure where to ask) could anyone PM me and tell me about how everything on this site works....I saw the Tutor/Apprentice part of the site and I need someone to take me under there wing....I want to be the best battler on the net...I know thats gona be difficult but Im ready to learn all the tactics etc....

BTW First Post....hooray!!!

Someone on gamefaqs told me to come here because I needed help with my emerald battle frontier team a long time ago. So I did. The depth of everything on this site is absurd so I kept reading and learning and eventually I started a team on shoddy. AND THE REST IS HISTORY.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I came here for the pie. Iz some goood pie. :D

No actually I came here for a free trip to Sandiego AND I GOT ONE!!! XD

I started playing Pokémon when I was four, and became immediately addicted. It has been over a decade now and I am more obsessed than ever. Not sure if I'll "outgrow" it, not sure if I really care if I will.

Found smogon.. blegh, no idea. a couple of years ago. Lurked for a bit.

Joined smogon because serebii is shit.

Stayed because
1. I do like competitive pogaymanz.
2. I wanted to set up a trade thread (lolwifi.)
3. it is nicely organised and not huge and ridiculous like every other pokéforum ihave been to (shipping, anyone?)
4. Congregation when i feel srs.
5. Firebot for when i don't.

Now I am just a bit addicted, and haven't been on serebii for months. I think I needed one forum (Pokémon, obv..) that I could continuously check when I was walking about, on my iPhone, or I would feel that I had no use for the damn thing. and I am so glad I finally decided to join this one. plus, despite the strange hierarchy that seens to exist in firebot/irc (just because i am a 'noob', i know.) the smogon "community" does actually seem to exist. Which is nicer than the faceless forums where all posts get overlooked unless you have 500+ posts.

Blegh. no, I am not hating on all other Pokémon forums.
I am simply saying that this one is much much better.

/endspew.

How i got into Pokemon:it was a few years ago,i saw one of my friends playing Pokemon:emerald at first,it got pretty boring when i borrowed it from my friend but as i progressed through the game i enjoyed it even when i finished the games,so i decided to try out more games after i had to hand it over fto my friend.including Pokemon XD,Pokemon leafgreen and one of the spinoffs ,i all enjoyed them so much.in 2007,when i bought pokemon diamond,my friend who came over at my house introduced me to competitive battling .and so thats how i got into Pokemon.

How i found smogon:while i was going to have my team rated in some site ,someone said that i needed to seek help from smogon and then,after i read some d/p articials,was when i got useful advice

Why i stayed:the CAP, its great to release your creativity and making cool new pokemon that should have been introduced to d/p when nintendo made this game.

i liked pokemon as a kid..who didnt? Not the show, but the cards and games.

I was introduced to semi-competive pokemon which is what kept me playing. The i found this place about a year ago maybe, and didnt take it serious because i had other sites.

Then i really wanted to become good. So i started ranking up on the battle frontier in emrald(getting all golds legit :P) and began playing competive.

I finally joined here a day ago. its such better then other places because most people here aren't real idiots.

Actually surprisingly I didn't really like pokemon as a kid and never played the original games. R/B/Y, G/S/C never touched any of them. How I got into pokes is by making a bet with a friend of mine, since I'm a very competitive person. That friend of mine made a bet of 20$ if I could beat the game, make a team and beat him. He gave me his Fire Red game and I played it...when the time came for me to battle him I packed my beloved Charizard at lv 70 something and Pidgeot...and I got beaten really badly. Since I have such a huge ego :p I started ready about how to make teams and what not and with time I got into the competitive enviroment. The game itself doesn't really impress me but I like the strategic aspect of it.

I started playing Pokemon as a kid, I remember buying Red version and I guess it started from there! For the past 10 years, I've been playing the games and watching the show and I've been loving it to be honesr. :)

However, I only started playing competitively when Diamond and Pearl came out so 2007ish. That's when I really learnt the ins and outs of competitive battling. I've been lurking on this website for well over a year, taking alot at the articles, tiers and whatnot, though I didn't really look at the forum that much to be honest.

I've never really been part of a pokemon community and most of my battles have been with my friends or random people on chatservers who cheat like crazy but I thought I might as well join to learn more, battle some people and have a good time, so here I am haha. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)