CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 6

What will be the ability of our new pokemon?

• Intimidate

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Compound Eyes

Votes: 74 41.6%
  • Snow Warning

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • Swarm

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ice Absorb

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Ice Shell

Votes: 71 39.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
After an exciting five-day poll, one of my picks finally won. Mario with Laser's stat distribution won by a resounding 19.56%, so I guess that's settled. As of now, this is our new pokemon:

Bug/Ice
70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121

Not too impressive at the moment, with only two lines of text. So it's time to add one more, by adding an ability! The choices you have are based on existing abilities like Compound Eyes and Intimidate, as well as new ones like Ice Absorb and Ice Shell. For those of you not in the know, ability descriptions will be posted here, so please refer to them when making your decision. Or just pick at random, which I know some of you do already....

PLEASE DON'T POST NEW ABILITIES HERE. I've already picked which ones I want to include, and as the founder of the program, I ultimately have final say. On that topic, Magic Guard will not be an option. In my opinion, with speed over 120 and attacks over 110, the potential for Life Orb abuse is far too great, and I'm sure most of you will agree with me. Anyway, here are your choices:

Intimidate- Upon entering battle, the opposing pokemon's attack is lowered by one stage (25%).

Compound Eyes- The accuracy of the user's moves are increased by 30% (i.e. Blizzard's 70% accuracy becomes 91%).

Snow Warning- A permanent hailstorm begins when the user enters battle.

Swarm- When the user's HP is below 33%, the attack power of Bug moves increases 50%.

Ice Absorb- When hit by a direct Ice attack, the user regains 25% health (it's like Water Absorb).

Ice Shell- User takes no indirect damage upon enter into battle (specifically damage from Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock damage is neutralized).

I think I got those right. Please correct me if not. Anyway, because this is such an important poll, it will be a two-parter. The top three abilities from this poll will be taken to Poll 6, part 2, where the ultimate winner will be decided. So get started! This poll will close in three days.

Yay I'm winning! Voted Compound Eyes because I like the idea of a glass cannon with very powerful, very accurate moves. Besides, it's definitely possible to work around SR.

Vfor compound eyes. I'd like to see inaccurrate moves being used more often. A sweeper with blizzard, stone edge, megahorn,etc. would be really cool.

Compound Eyes and Ice Shell, both good abilities to me.

Edit: Pick Ice Shell because I like seeing a good a tight race between to ability.

IMO Compound eyes and Ice Absorb are the best choices. CEs makes Megahorn and Blizzard more accurate, IA lets it switch in on ice attacks (pair it with a Salamence for example)

I voted Compound eyes.

And you're calling magic guard broke, yet you want to have overly-accuarate moves, where accuracy is supposed to balance those moves. You already have ridiculous attack stats, you don't need to be able to use moves that power without missing. Go Ice shell for the not-broke.

Blizzard still isn't 100%. Besides, it hits for 100% in hailstorm, and Thunder hits for 100% in rain. There are plenty of ways to get around low accuracy, and Compound Eyes isn't exactly the best way....

Ice Shell, this thing will need to be switching a lot due to it's weaknesses, and it would be severely hampered by taking 75% from SR and 3 layers of Spikes.

Why is everyone voting Compound Eyes? There aren't that many inaccurate moves to make it worthwhile, as it's not like you're going to drop Megahorn for, say, Bug Bite. I could see it happening for Blizzard vs Ice Beam, but other than that I can't see it coming in too handy. Maybe if a moveset poll was done first I would be able to pass better judgment.

i voted for ice shell cuz i honestly think compound eyes is too much. the poke will be way to powerful with that.

ice shell would make it sooooo much easier to bring in and set up.

Voted Ice Shell over compound eyes for a couple reasons:

1. A 30% boost to accuracy is pretty huge when you realize that this Pokemon would be able to supplement its better-than-Infernape attack and speed with effectively 100% accurate Megahorns and 90%+ Blizzards, and I'm sure when we get to the movesets phase people are going to give it other powerful-but-inaccurate moves to abuse with this as well.

2. If we're trying to keep this thing reasonably balanced for OU (read: not "lol I'm the next Garchomp please carry fifteen Ice Beams on your fucking team just for me") it needs to have a weakness somewhere. It's got awesome stats (hell, Weavile only has 4 higher base attack and speed and can't even run a special set, and this thing can) and what will probably be a great movepool and typing is pretty much a moot point for most sweepers, so might as well not give it an uber ability to go with it.

Come to think of it, I probably should have voted for Swarm or Ice Absorb. Oh well.

Not that important, but isn't intimidate a 33% drop?
Voted ice shell to prevent brokenness and SR is is quite common, so it still helps a lot.

Compoundeyes here, as Megahorn + Blizzard = rape. It also makes Stone Edge's accuracy 100%, Cross Chop if it gets it, etc., etc. I'm sure we'll end up giving it Thunder so that it's broken to the point of no return. . . Let's throw in Close Combat just for fun. Hell, while we're at it, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Draco Meteor. =]

Okay, looking back on it, this thing is a little broken. . . Maybe a little is an understatement. I mean, seriously, look at this thing! It's got offensive stats to rival Azelf, two good STABs, and a variety of moves will probably be available to it. Oh well, at least it won't suck =]

This thing will definitely not be getting Thunder. Thunderbolt probably isn't even going to happen. I'm debating Thunderpunch however. Anyway, it's good that Compound Eyes is finally getting some love. If anything, this program has finally created something that can use what is arguably one of the most worthless abilities. I feel like I'm playing Magic and a new set came out....

Tinted Lens? There isn't much this guy won't be hitting for neutral damage. Why, the only common Pokemon I can think of that resist its STABs are Forretress and Heatran. Why hallo thar EQ/HP Fire.

Even if Tinted Lens was a choice, I think Compound Eyes would still be better, unless your prediction is shoddy and you think you'll always be hitting switchins with the wrong moves.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Compoundeyes here, as Megahorn + Blizzard = rape. It also makes Stone Edge's accuracy 100%, Cross Chop if it gets it, etc., etc. I'm sure we'll end up giving it Thunder so that it's broken to the point of no return. . . Let's throw in Close Combat just for fun. Hell, while we're at it, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Draco Meteor. =]

Okay, looking back on it, this thing is a little broken. . . Maybe a little is an understatement. I mean, seriously, look at this thing! It's got offensive stats to rival Azelf, two good STABs, and a variety of moves will probably be available to it. Oh well, at least it won't suck =]
Thing is, without compoundeyes this thing really sucks. The likelihood of hitting any of its STAB power moves 2 in a row hovers around 50-60%. Moreover if you mac either stat to wipe out whatever particular wall, the other walls start blocking you.

There's also the fact both its STABs are resisted by Fire and Steel types individually (4x when together).. Heatran says hello to this, as does Infernape(4x resists Bug, resists Ice). The occaisional Magmortar and Typh also like this. Empoleon resists both its moves too, as does Poliwrath and Tentacruel. Scizor and Forry resist both, and so do Lucario, Aggron, Bastiodon, and Probopass. Ice/Bug really isn't that great for coverage, at least as far as resistances go. Bug < Flying gets covered and that's about it. Thick Fat Hariyama also resists both STABs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)