Programming Solo Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

After playing pokemonshowdown a lot, I've decided I'm going to try constructing my own mod for it. This mod will probably get finished soon (though likely not in the immediate future [and by finished, I mean in a testable/playable state]), but I understand it may end up being a total waste of time. I intend it to be fun for me, however. Whether it catches on and is popular/approved by Smogon is another idea, but I wanted some community feedback about the idea before I delve into it further.

Firstly, I don't know javascript. I'm a programmer, however. I get php, mysql, java, c++, et cetera. So, javascript may be another ballgame all together, but I can follow the source code well enough and will figure it out through enough trial and error... So basically, I'm saying I'm qualified to produce and work out the kinks of this idea of mine, so your feedback is helpful in sorting out the other end of the project, which may actually prove to be the actual rough work.

The idea is simple: A mod for pokemon showdown that 'eliminates' all the basic tiers except Uber and OU. Basically, this mod will 'balance' pokemon so that there are only two kinds of pokemon: Good pokemon and "Too Good" pokemon. "Too Good" pokemon, such as Mewtwo, will not be playable-- but I'll get into that in a moment.

The spirit of this mod is to let everyone use their favorite not-overpowered pokemon in battle. To make teams that are wacky and competitively viable. Do you like Kricketune? What about Seaking? Well, it's perfectly viable now to use them on a team if you know what you're doing. That's the spirit of this mod: Buff NU/UU/RU/NFE pokemon to OU. Yes, even NFE. All pokemon are now 'spiritually' overused.

If a pokemon in standard play is promoted to ubers, it shall be kicked out of this mod. Uber pokemon have no place here, because uber pokemon are simply "too good". I don't want a mod where every pokemon can qualify as an "uber" pokemon and I don't want to nerf all uber pokemon to non-uber status. That's not fun. People get this "feeling" when they use Lugia or Mewtwo and it makes no sense to disrupt that feeling.

To get a better idea how this mod will work, I'm laying down ten ground rules of design.

#1 All non-Ubers pokemon are to be competitively viable.
(*)This does not mean all pokemon are created the same
(*)This does not mean all pokemon are all equally useful
(*)This does not mean all pokemon should be able to do everything

What it does mean, is that every non-Ubers pokemon should have a competitive niche.

#2 I will never nerf pokemon to achieve balance.

Exactly as it says, I will never nerf a pokemon to make others competitively viable. If a pokemon is in OU or lower, it will never lose moves, stats, or (useful [runaway and illuminate don't count here]) abilities. If a pokemon is "too good" but "not too good for uber" then I'll find a set of pokemon and design them to "hard counter" that pokemon so that there exists a competitive check for this "too good non uber pokemon". That's an extreme case and something I'm envisioning to be further ahead; it's too early to deeply consider that case.

#3 I will refrain from balancing pokemon using cheap algorithms.

This just doesn't work. You can't make pokemon occupy niches if you give them +15 to all stats across the board. It just doesn't work, it only fixes maybe a few pokemon and just introduces more problems in general. All changes here are hand-crafted.

#4 I will refrain from balancing pokemon using singular, cheap or goofy, or anti-aesthetic mechanisms.

I'm not going to balance Farfetch'd by giving him +100 to his base attack stat. I'm not going to give Spinda 100 in all base stats. I'm not going to suddenly make Armaldo the fastest pokemon in the game. I'm not going to give Surskit flamethrower - because these ideas just don't make any aesthetic sense, why would Surskit breathe fire? Why would Armaldo be fast? Granted, Gamefreak HAS done nonsensical things like this (ie Raticate DOES learn Thunder but DOES NOT learn Thunder Fang), but I will refrain from doing them.

#5 I will balance pokemon using a combination of 1) adding new abilities (up to a max of four including their hidden ability) or replacing awful abilities (like run away or pick up) 2) adding moves to a pokemon's move pool 3) improving base stats where appropriate 4) introducing new abilities or (perhaps species-specific) hold items.

(*)In the case of 2), I will seldom add unintuitive move additions
(*)In the case of 3), I will seldom boost a pokemon's base speed (abilities like speed boost will have to suffice), because I believe a good mod/metagame for this project is one where players can easily anticipate and predict what their opponent will do. If pokemon all now have new base speeds, predicting who goes first on a turn could become simply too problematic and un-fun. It's not fun if Beedrill pulls some asspull you couldn't predict because you haven't memorized this project and I have no intentions of creating or maintaining or asking players of this mod to read a wiki of patch note changes (though I will provide a patch note list for clarity).
(*)In the case of 4), I will very seldom do this, to prevent the associated QA work, but for some pokemon, this may be ultimately necessary. I will not introduce new types or game mechanics (like a new status effect), in order to retain the intuitiveness of this mod.

#6 I will revert changes this mod introduces to pokemon in various circumstances. #2 does not prevent me from nerfing pokemon if the nerfs involve rolling back changes I have made myself.

#7 NFE balance takes a lower priority to FE pokemon. Raichu's competitive viability has a higher priority than Pikachu, whose priority precedes Pichu. It may be completely impossible to make all NFE pokemon competitively viable, but that's the goal of this project, even if it may not be entirely attainable.

#8 Pokemon will retain their spirit. This means my approach to balancing Farfetch'd may involve only small stat increases with a large emphasis on items, abilities, and move pool additions (or intended synergies). Farfetch'd may become some sort of crit-based glass cannon, with perhaps a high attack stat, and perhaps a higher SpA and HP stat. I'm unsure exactly at the moment, but in general, the goal is not to make every pokemon approach 600 BST. Some pokemon should have poorer overall stats than others in exchange for more varied move pools or abilities, or interesting synergies and strategies.

#9 I will not take favorites. Although I have my fair share of favorite pokemon, this is less about making my favorites viable and more about making everyone's favorite pokemon viable. For instance, I love doing monobug teams in OU, and this mod will certainly involve a lot of changes to bugs, since there are so many unusable ones, but I'm not being biased by introducing these changes - Gamefreak just hates bugs.

#10 I will try to make changes as consistent as possible. I will provide my logic behind changes when I make them. This is a solo project, I don't want anyone else directly helping, but I will be sure to invite community involvement if this idea of mine is well-received. You all will (hopefully) be playing this thing, after all.

===

So, with all these rules and things laid out, the purpose of this thread is to... well, be entertaining, if nothing else. I want to hear about everyone's favorite not-OU, not-Uber pokemon. If you have just one, great, but don't stop there if you have more. Please follow the following form:

1. Name of favorite non-OU pokemon.
2. Do you use this pokemon in OU?
3. How do you feel about this pokemon? Does it belong in a tier other than the one it's in? Do you think it's already good, but people maybe don't realize it? Why do you like this pokemon? What do you feel about it? Are you frustrated with it? Do you still find delight in it? Why do you like or dislike it?
4. What pokemon do you feel this pokemon is good against? Bad against? What pokemon do you feel has the greatest impact in preventing or enhancing is usage rate?
5. If you were to improve it, how would you? Please bear in mind the rules above when suggesting improvements to this pokemon.

Also, please mention in your post whether you play a lot of OU, UU, etc. What's your playstyle like?

If you think this project is a dumb idea or have other comments too, I'm not going to stop you from voicing them. I'll probably just ignore negative comments like that though.

===

One of the first things I've done is write a few programs to parse the changes I've made to the base game and print them in a more manageable format. The following pastebin for instance, contains the very first "super rough" changes I've made to the base.

http://pastebin.com/ZZ4Zprym

They are super rough, some half-baked ideas that will likely not stay the same, but maybe you can see my thought processes and iterate on them. For instance Speed Boost Beedrill is a potentially good way to make him viable, but then... how does he compete with Ninjask and Scolipede? Isn't he just an inferior version of one of those? Doesn't giving him speed boost dilute the 'uniqueness' of that ability? Does it fit his physical characteristics?

My other idea is - hey, Slaking is almost amazing. What if we gave him Slow Start instead of Truant? Could that make him viable? Would normalize work? It'd make him easy to wall, but a huge threat potentially, maybe too good.

The NFEs tend to have stronger abilities than their evolved forms. This is intentional, though an idea I'll definitely iterate on. Consider the pastebin a very rough draft of ability ideas. That's why I'm really looking for some input from users.

Last edited:
I first used this set under the name "Rocket Giovanni," and it ended up with huge popularity before long in 1v1.
Persian (M) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Return
- Thief
Back when I was obsessed with role-playing, I took it upon myself to name myself after everyone's favorite PokéMafia boss and use his signature Pokémon, Persian. After looking at Persian, I noticed his outstanding Speed and STAB Fake Out.

'Fixing' Persian is soo tricky in my mind. It's so tempting to say, "Well, if Persian had +10 base speed..." but I really want to avoid doing that.

Making Persian into a hybrid mixed-attacker + support type could work. Though, that's currently its role at the moment. We could make it better by making its base Atk/SpA higher, but then what? That doesn't seem like a good fix either.

Giving it access to a move like Head Charge could work - 20% recoil, better power than Return and less recoil than DE. But it seems like it doesn't fit Persian.

I was thinking about the following changes (where ? indicates some more thought):

Atk: 70 -> 80
SpA: 65 -> 75 (80?)
Move Additions: Quick Attack, Extremespeed(?), Hyper Fang(?), Parting Shot(?), Snarl, Night Daze(?)

Persian is best represented as a quasi-Dark Type. I agree, he should also have a strong 'Team Rocket' theme, with offensive/speedy moves, possessing some utility. Definitely lead focused. Maybe a unique ability that interacts with Pay Day? But I want to refrain from introducing stuff like that. I like intuitiveness.

Ambipom fills a similar role and is 'much better', so it's maybe good to compare the two:

100 Atk vs 70 atk
60 spa vs 65 spa
115 spe vs 115 spe
Similar defenses

Ambipom is much scarier, but giving Persian some more attack AND SpA with Extreme Speed could put it in a similar league as it.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Beartic :) I've used in OU when I was a total n00b, but its speed is too low to be practical. +Speed, -SpA perhaps?

Nobody uses his SpA anyway. It'd be pointless to raise his Spe in exchange for it. Furthermore, I'm not going to double his speed, which is what it would take for it to make him comparable with someone like Ursaring, Kangaskhan, etc.

The tentative idea I had was to give him Refrigerate. This would make him IMMESENLY scary with Thrash or Flail. I could maybe give him Ice Shard too, but that would maybe make him too good?

His usefulness is weakened mainly because of his SR weakness. Considering SR is basically the 'strongest move in competitive pokemon' and the way it tends to make a lot of NU pokemon stay in NU... I think I need to consider a way to make it more manageable. This would promote the use of Beartic. But that's perhaps not enough either - Beartic is so slow, a fire attacker is pretty much sure to easily deal with him.

The one solution I can think of involves giving him access to Aqua Jet (he IS a polar bear, they can swim). That might make him pretty threatening. Maybe +5 to his base attack, access to aqua jet would be enough, perhaps in combination with fridgerate.

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Would giving him a Fighting type (and some fighting attacks) help?

Well, it could. It'd make SR not SE. But we have a copious amount of fighting pokemon? I guess Fighting/Ice isn't exactly abundant (but neither are pure Ice types).

I suppose that could be a good solution.

I am also toying with the idea of creating an ability which nullifies or reduces damage from hazards...? But an ability like this seems rather boring - a poor way of dealing with the SR issue.

If I can help it, I'd like to preserve Beartic's typing, but your suggestion is a good one.

===

I'm interested in any ideas to improve http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/delcatty

I 'could' just improve its speed and atk or spa base stats, but I'm looking for something more creative before I do something quite like that.

Last edited:
Make Normalize boost attacks by 30% before changing them to Normal-Type.
But yeah, you do need to buff the stats a bit to make it work.

So yeah, literally JUST made this account to comment here.

This is a really cool idea, imo. Right after X and Y came out and I saw Super Trainer, I started thinking on ideas for a team I could make. Unfortunately, so many pokemon that I love to death are terrible.

Beedrill has ALWAYS been one of my tops. Ever since Gen1, I've loved his design, and his sheer power early in the game. In my opinion, Beedrill seems like he would be most relatable to pokemon akin to Scizor or Genesect. U-turn-ing and using speed or priority to deal damage. I've always thought it would be cool to give Beedrill fake-out or Sucker-punch maybe. I imagine him as retaining fairly low base stats, being very soft and vulnerable, and needing to use nasty tricks to keep ahead.

There's also Meganium. Gen2 is still my favorite Generation, and probably isn't going anywhere. Chikorita was always my starter, pretty much every playthrough. In the past, I built him as a Special Attack cannon, but I now see him as much tankier than that. I would love to see him become a magnificent staller, he already has dual-screens, Leech Seed, Synthesis... Thick fat might be overkill on him, but maybe boosting he defenses slightly?

I would put Mawile on my list. But with her new Mega-form, she seems to have found herself a nice niche in OU as an amazing physical sweeper. Likewise, Jolteon-another of my mains-sits very comfortably in OU it seems.

I would like to see Flareon get a pretty simple buff; Physical move pool. Give it some nice physical fire attacks, alongside other physical attacks for coverage, and Flareon can become a very strong pokemon.

Last but not least is Dunsparce. Dunsparce is a pokemon that's fascinating to me, it's design is so strange yet unique, and it's Permaflinch is a very cool strategy. But I'm not sure how to buff such a playstyle while keeping it healthy for the game. <.>

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Make Normalize boost attacks by 30% before changing them to Normal-Type.
But yeah, you do need to buff the stats a bit to make it work.
For a change to normal type (because normal type sucks), I would recommend a +50% boost instead. If it's too OP nerf it as you please, but think about it. Normal type has no super-effective hits :p

Beedrill: Excellent suggestion. I think Sucker Punch and Fake Out could be good moves to add to his arsenal.
Meganium: I've considered giving him access to Shield Dust, which would further enhance his role as a bulky support type. Thick Fat is an interesting suggestion and could be too good, but it's worth considering. Giving Bayleef Thick Fat could be really interesting (in combination with Eviolite it could be crazy amazing)...
Mawile: Got love from Gamefreak, yeah. But, I don't necessarily mind buffing base Mawile in the form of a new ability - considering it will lose its ability when it transforms anyway.
Flareon: Mold Breaker was an idea I had, so that it couldn't be walled by Flash Fire, but that's DEFINITELY not enough. He got Flare Blitz this generation, which is a big boost, but he's still terrible. Giving him Reckless could work... giving him Draught certainly would (but I'm not wont to hand out weather abilities too easily, considering how game-changing they are). I think addressing his move pool is a core concern, because he has stats that /could/ work, at the very least, on a trick room team or with a baton pass speedboost team. But - he does have move pool issues that reduce the effectiveness of that strategy (he's also easily 2HKO'd by bullet punch from Scizor, which is pretty sad).
Flareon is a huge mess of a pokemon.
Dunsparce: My ideas for him involve giving him more interaction with Serene Grace (for instance, he'd be pretty interesting with Luster Purge? Always reducing the SpA of your attacks by 1 stage every turn. But Luster Purge doesn't really fit his 'character'), but it's something I have to think more deeply about.

Changing the way Normalize works is one possibility. I don't see why it couldn't work like a reverse Pixilate, that's true. However, that'd axe my plans for Slaking (giving him Normalize is one potential way to buff him while keeping him balanced). I think Delcatty needs some targeted stat buffs and move pool changes - but I'm not exactly sure what kind of role it should have. Support Wisher? Lead Status'er? Versatile hybrid attacker? It's a cat, so it has a lot of competition for finding a unique niche all its own.

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently, I'm dreaming up changes to Unown, who will likely require the most inventive work. Here are my (very, very rough) ideas:

48 hp -> 78 hp
72 atk
48 def
72 spa -> 86 spa
48 spd -> 76 spd
48 spe
Abilities: Levitate, Technician, Aura Break
Move Pool: Hidden Power, Power Gem, Ancient Power, Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Baton Pass, Geomancy, Light Screen, Reflect, Recover(?), Gravity, Psywave
Reasoning: Unown is connected to the Regis, so it makes sense he would have access to a rock, steel, and ice move. Technician allows him to have a 90 power HP or Ancient Power. Geomancy is the unique flavor move - with a power herb you could baton pass a boost in two turns. The other moves are to give him niche as a support. Aura Break is a tentative idea, if I am actually going to end up giving some pokemon Fairy/Dark Aura.

His limited move pool makes him relatively predictable, but he has a pretty nice niche with Rock/Ice/Steel/HP coverage and some support. Boosting his defensive stats a little also makes him a little hardier.

My wildest idea however, lies with fixing Castform.

I love Castform, as an idea. However, fixing him is something I'm really unsure of. My first idea is this:

Castform retains his current 70 in all stats spread, along with his only ability, Forecast. However, his alternative forms all receive +110 BST boosts, which may be a bit un-fun or excessive.

Sunny - 70->120 Atk, 70->130 SpA
Rainy - 70->90 atk, 70->110 def, 70->80 spa, 70->110 spd
Icy - 70->90 atk, 70->100 spa, 70->100 spd, 70->110 spe

He also gains the following egg moves: ice shard, freeze dry, waterfall, heat wave, eruption, power gem.

This would make Castform rather varied, but I'm not so sure it'd give him a niche. People wouldn't build around his ability to shift with the changing weather, but would rather use him in their weather team, so it doesn't really 'fix' him.

My alternative idea is to make it so that Forecast not only transforms him, but has the following passive effects:

While not transformed, Castform's weather-inducing moves last 8 turns. (so a free heat rock or whatever)
While Sunny Castform gains +1 SpA every turn in the sun.
While Rainy Castform gains +1 SpD every turn in the rain.
While Icy Castform gains +1 Spe every turn in the hail.

But this presents its own problems and it still seems unusable given Castform's poor base stats and lack of a recovery move, which could be altered too, but... I really like the idea of a Pokemon that's about controlling weather somehow. Maybe Forecast causes weather to change randomly during battle? But that's maybe just as problematic.

I'd rather keep the changes simple, but at the same time Castform is so unique, simple changes could undermine his unique identity.

====

Update: http://pastebin.com/1X2nSWzU

An updated, yet still very tentative, ability listing. A few cursory stat changes are mentioned here too, but don't pay much attention to that.

I have removed most non-beneficial abilities (Run away, pick up, etc.) and replaced them with potentially more useful abilities... but not on all pokemon (anticipation and forewarn exist still on pokemon that are already OU and don't really need any more versatility).

I've also given Regigigas Stall as an option, which I think is all you need to do to make him balanced for OU. Though, it'll require some play testing.

Last edited:
Updated: http://pastebin.com/jim6J4Wn

Made my second iteration today, my main focus was NU pokemon. It's hard to say if all of these changes will be positive or not. I'm currently utilizing the strategy of taking underused signature moves and giving them more usage (for example, Glaciate is basically a better Icy Wind. Kyurem only has access to it, but some NU Ice pokemon could benefit from it? Perhaps Glaciate is a poor example, but for instance, Luster Purge plus Serene Grace could be a pretty strong combination for a NU pokemon).

I'm finding myself improving the stats of most NU by just a little (in some cases, by as much as 60 BST). I'm trying to restrain myself here, but I do believe around 90% of NU pokemon will need some stat boosts in some capacity - 10 SpD here, 10 Atk there - just to put them in competition with pokemon that occupy similar niches.

I may have overbuffed Stunfisk, Armaldo and Bastiodon. But short of actually testing these things... I'm going to have to get a server up and running soon.

My priority right now is to fix NU pokemon, then RU, then address NFEs (who will lag behind in terms of completion for a while).

Last edited:

Expulso

The Bug type in general is somewhat underwhelming. I've been thinking, and maybe Bug needs a common Physical attack.

Power Sting:
- Physical
- 15 PP
- 85 BP
- 15% chance to poison
- 5% chance to flinch

A move that purely outclasses X-scissor in every way...? I think it's just X-scissor that needs a little tweak, and maybe some 100 BP bug move with a draw back. Though, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of changing x-scissor, since that effects ALL pokemon, OU or not.

The main issue is the strongest bug moves are Megahorn (unreliable), Bugbuzz (only 90 power, Special), and X-Scissor (no bonus effect, only 80 power). Comparatively, Dragon or Fire or Psychic, etc. have multiple things to utilize with over 90 power.

Last edited:

Expulso

Oops, forgot X-Scissor. Well, they could buff it to the above (maybe without the poison, and 10-15% flinch). Also, idk if it is, but make it a TM?

Here's my philosophy regarding changes like that:

1. Who are we seeking to improve?
2. What is the global effect of our change?

If the answer to 1) is 'all bugs' then changing X-scissor doesn't do this. Dustox isn't effected by the proposed change - and many other non-bug pokemon are impacted. Many non-bug pokemon learn X-scissor.
If the answer to 2) is 'Well, bugs can randomly flinch and/or poison things when attacking and they do around 5 more base power now...' then all we've done is make bugs a little randomly obnoxious - whether Ninjask can flinch 5% of his opponents or not has little bearing on his overall performance.

It's better to more concretely answer #1 and #2.

1. A list of bug pokemon that really suck:
Dustox, Masquerain, Butterfree, Kricketune, Beautifly, Mothim, Beedrill, et cetera

2. Changing these pokemon will empower them to deal with specific threats in the metagame.

Adding a move that all these people can take advantage of though, it's pretty much impossible. Plus, I don't think these pokemon need a new move to become viable. Butterfree almost is good. Masquerain is almost good. A few stat and movepool and ability changes will fix a majority of bugs. Note how I've given Butterfree access to Magic Guard. This means, in exchange for giving up high-accuracy sleep powder, you can have a support bug type that is immune to stealth rock. Butterfree may need a little more help than that, but negating its SR weakness is one big leap in the direction of making it carve out a competitive niche. Giving butterfree a random flinch or poison or a little extra damage would not help it significantly. It's worth adding Butterfree gets access to Defog (or at least, I think it does). A magic guard defogger is potentially very powerful.

====

Maybe it would be good to clarify what changes I've made to bugs, since bugs comprise a large amount of NU.

Butterfree - Added Magic Guard, improved SpD by +10, added Moonblast

Reasoning: Butterfree is closely related to fairies, or at least, that's aesthetically the case? It's a butterfly with psychic moves. Moonblast gives it an added, powerful coverage option. SpD makes it tankier against SpA threats, which is fine because of its low speed. Butterfree is still very weak to physical attacks (and rock in general). Magic Guard allows it to come in safely against status effects and hazards and can provide a lot of support in the form of Sleep Powder, Whirlwind, Defog, Stun Spore, Toxic, or Tailwind. Thanks to Magic Guard, Butterfree may now finally be able to function as some sort of support or lead. May need some further buffs down the road, but what I've given it so far is significant.

Beedrill - Added Adaptability, improved Atk by +10, added Fakeout, Quickattack, suckerpunch

Reasoning: Giving Beedrill SpeedBoost would be cool, but he'd be an inferior version of Scolipede in that case.

Adaptability with 100 attack gives Beedrill a huge damage boost with Poison Jab and X-Scissor. Fake Out, Quick Attack, and Sucker Punch allow him to more easily revenge kill (and work well with a choice set).

Beedrill may need further tweaks down the road, but these are also pretty huge gains compared to his current form.

Beautifly - Added Competitive, improved HP by 5, SpA by 15, Atk by 30; Added Dazzling Gleam, Sticky Web, Sleep Powder

Reasoning: Turning Beautifly into a mixed attacker seemed like a good idea. Competitive is a weak ability, but has some amount of potential I guess. Sticky Web and Sleep Powder give it some non-offensive threat, but are there more for set variety than general usefulness (I imagine most players won't use them). Using Beautifly properly will still be very challenging even with these rather large gains. Stay tuned for more ideas? It's still slow and frail, though its offensive stats are pretty good now.

Dustox - Added Poison Touch, improved HP by 10, SpD by 15, SpA by 5, Atk by 5; Added Seed Flare, Seed Bomb, Mirror Coat, Powder

Reasoning: Dustox is obviously intended to be a bug/poison wall. The attack increases are to make his offensive potential slightly less pathetic, but he's still going to be pathetic at hurting things. The improved HP and SpD should let him more properly do his job. Poison Touch is meant to be an alternative option to relying on Toxic. Seed Flare exists as flavor - and a reason to make him threatening. Reducing your SpD over time is a big deal against a wall. Powder allows him to predict fire switch-ins and deal with them 'safely'. His ability to perform his role as a bug/poison tank is definitely improved, but will probably still need a few buffs in the future.

Kricketune - Added Huge Power;Added Vice Grip, Fake Out, Pursuit, Leaf Blade

Reasoning: - Huge Power now makes his offensive potential relevant, with 170 base attack. He's still slow and made of paper, but Pursuit and Fake Out should at least make him reasonably threatening. Vice Grip is for flavor and kind of because it seems like he should just get it, I doubt anyone will use technician with it, but hey. Leaf Blade is for coverage - he needs it.

With Speedboost support (or something similar) he might be a threat in OU. He's not quite as viable as MMawile, but he doesn't use a megastone either.

Mothim - Added Poison Heal, Atk +6, SpA +6, +25 Def; Added Spider Web, Morning Sun, Gastro Acid, Cross Poison, Mud Bomb, Clear Smog, Growth, Spore

Reasoning: What the hell Gamefreak? Beautifly vs Mothim they're basically the same damn pokemon. Comparatively now, Mothim is more defensive with slightly less offensive power. As a result, Beautifly will probably need a few more move options to carve its own comparative niche.

Poison Heal makes Mothim much more sturdy than Beautifly. The new moves give him some much needed utility? But maybe that doesn't fit so well on a mixed attacker pokemon. I may switch out spore for - maybe - cotton spore. I like the fit of Poison Heal though.

Wormadam - Fuck yeah Wormadam:

(bug grass) Poison Heal Stench;
(bug ground) Sand Force Sand Rush;
(bug steel) Filter Iron Barbs;

All three of them gained +45 BST with some (generally) defensive abilities to make them more hardy. They're meant to be tanks. No new moves yet... but I should consider giving each one a signature move that makes their function stand out. Maybe... Spikes for Steel, Stealth Rocks for Ground, and Leech Seed for Grass?

Vespiquen - Added Flare Boost; Powder, Agility, Sleep Powder

Reasoning: Vespiquen is pretty solid, stat wise I think? Flare Boost will let it perform a move offensive SpA role, Sleep Powder and Powder are to help it deal with switch-ins. Definitely needs a few more buffs, however.

Ledian - Basically doubled its attack to 68, raised Spa to 82 from 55, Added 15 SpD, Added Vital Spirit... And it gained the following moves: Flying Press, Rapid Spin, Belly Drum, Zen Headbutt.

Reasoning: Okay, wow, well, weird moves, right? But Lediba is kind of round, so I said... what the hell, Rapid Spin's fine, right? Plus, it probably gets Defog anyway. The more interesting moves are Flying Press (As an offensive flying type with four arms, I think it fits) and Belly Drum. Belly Drum is going to be the game-changer for Ledian. I mean, look what it did to Azumaril. With an Iron Fist'd +6 punch move, Ledian is going to be pretty threatening, even with only 68 base attack. And you can pull it off, maybe, if you can switch it on a SpA attacker Ledian is resistant to. The added SpA lets it still function in a more offensive role, but with its low HP and Def, Ledian is even more frail than Butterfree or Chansey to physical attacks of any kind.

Ariados - Raised Atk by 8, HP by 22, SpA by 16, SpD by 11; Added Phantom Force, Crunch, Topsy Turvy, Hypnosis

Reasoning: Okay, Ariados is known for its access to Spider Web and Sticky Web. Plus, he's pretty damn cool lookin'. With improved defensive stats (though, still relatively poor) and offensive stats, and his pretty wide move pool, he presents an interesting, if very slow threat to teams. Topsy Turvy and Hypnosis are to give him some extra surprise factor, while Phantom Force and Crunch give him some more ghost/dark moves to pull from. These changes were more about making Ariados better at what he already does best.

Parasect - Raised Spa by 12; Added Clear Smog, Belch, Acid Spray, Infestation, Powder, Earth Power

Reasoning: More versatility. Powder lets Parasect better deal with Fire type switch ins. Powder, Infestation and Spore give Parasect some very tricksy options to deal with opponents. Clear Smog and Acid Spray are for more variety. Earth Power is to sweeten the otherwise inferior SpA variant.

Leavanny: +10 to HP, +33 to SpA

Reasoning: I think Leavanny is a deeply underappreciated pokemon because of its typing. But because it already has access to so many support moves (such as magiccoat), is pretty damn fast in the sun... and many other fun properties, I think it just needs some +SpA to give it some extra unpredictability factor (or add in the potential for filling the role as a mixed attacker like Victrebell).

Still a few more bug pokemon to update, but I think most of these changes will empower them enough to be competitive choices for your OU team. If they don't fix them outright, they should at least pave the way to more final changes.

Surskit: Drizzle, increased HP by 18, SpA by 17, SpD by 20; added Quiver Dance and Aqua Ring.

Reasoning: Surskit has awesome typing. Drizzle makes him relevant, by his small stat gains allow him to wether certain special attackers while using eviolite. Quiver Dance is main function, with Hydro Pump being his main offensive tool. He'll probably need a little more buffing, but as far as NFE goes, he's the most 'complete' looking one.

===

Update:

I'm thinking through some changes to some really poor NU pokemon:

Sunflora:
New Ability: Draught
HP75->100
ATK75->80
DEF55
SPA105
SPD85->100
SPE30
New Moves: Overheat, Fiery Dance, Petal Blizzard, Powder

I definitely think these changes would propel Sunflora into OU. It's incredibly slow and fairly weak to physical moves -- plus, it makes itself extra vulnerable to fire attacks when switched in. However, it becomes a psuedo-fire type, with access to Overheat and Firey Dance. Growth allows it to become even more threatening, while Petal Blizzard empowers its physical side. Powder allows it to deal with reactive fire switch-ins.

The common set though, will probably be...

Solarbeam
Overheat
Earth Power
Morning Sun / Powder / Growth

Trick Room support with this pokemon would be really deadly.

Also I could really use some help thinking up fixes for:
Dewgong
Fearow
Linoone
Girafarig
Bibarel
Carnivine

What roles should these pokemon play? What moves should they get? Any new abilities? Why? Should I simply adjust their stats?

Last edited:
Sorry for the multi-posting. Just wanted to update and say I'm still working on this.

This the current iteration:

[url]http://pastebin.com/Gdws0bN9[/URL]

I'm hopefully going to get a server running soon, as I guess it's hard to ask for feedback and ask people to parse such a long document.

Expulso

Bibarel needs boosting moves. (With Simple.) Maybe like Improvement, boosts all stats by 1.33x? (Same amount Hone Claws does for accuracy)

Carnivine needs better coverage moves.

1 stage of accuracy = .33% additional accuracy (which is simply unlike 1 stage of anything else = 1.5x -- this is because 1.5x for accuracy would probably make it pointless to get more than 2 stages of +accuracy), I can't do a third of a stage for any stat. It also sounds a bit too strong, especially with simple. Bibarel already gets access to Work Up, but I could give him Curse I guess, he wouldn't be too strong with it.

I'll give Bibarel access to Curse, Skullbash and Rage. Rage obviously isn't that competitive, but it could be funny and maybe a little effective, since you'll get +2 to Attack every time you're hit. Skullbash is a little more viable if it gives +2 defense on turn one. Curse will obviously be his 'go to' move with Simple.

Well, this is really disheartening. It seems as though the 'legality checker' stuff is all controlled by a SQL backend which Zarel does not provide. So, while I can make a mod, it will be ridiculously convoluted to make accessible, because it will display something as "illegal" in the team builder, even if the ability/move chosen is legal.

The mod will still run, of course, but in order to make this idea of mine accessible at all, I'll need to write my own jquery code from scratch. It seems Zarel hasn't even done this for his own mod (Gen-NEXT), so I imagine this is a lot of work.

Well, I may still attempt this, but it's going to be significantly longer to release this than I first considered.

Carnivine would be very good if it got a bit more Speed - it has access to Swords Dance and Power Whip. Also, a bit more HP could help it to create a Leech Seed stall, one of my favorite tactics.
Also, editing the critical hit ratios for some moves (like Drill Run, Cross Poison, and Night Slash,) would help Pokemon like Drapion and Fearow to gain in usage.
Linoone could gain better Defenses as to be able to set up its trademark Belly Drum, and also moves like Flame Charge, Low Sweep, and Slack Off.
Girafarig could gain Flamethrower and a slight buffing of each of its stats, or at least Speed.
Bibarel either needs a Speed gain or an unbanning of Moody to become legitimately overpowered.

Hope these help!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have no intentions of buffing the crit rates of under-used abilities, but I do hope to create situations that make these under-used abilities more useful.

Cross Poison / Drill Run have no excuse being so bad though. It's a shame.

Beartic :) I've used in OU when I was a total n00b, but its speed is too low to be practical. +Speed, -SpA perhaps?
Actually what if Swift Swim could only be banned for Pokémon that are also Water-type? That was really the whole problem with it-Pokémon were moving first and getting boosted STAB attacks. That change could bring Pokémon like Armaldo and Beartic up a notch while stopping the Kingdra crisis from repeating itself.
Surskit: Drizzle, increased HP by 18, SpA by 17, SpD by 20; added Quiver Dance and Aqua Ring.

Reasoning: Surskit has awesome typing. Drizzle makes him relevant, by his small stat gains allow him to wether certain special attackers while using eviolite. Quiver Dance is main function, with Hydro Pump being his main offensive tool. He'll probably need a little more buffing, but as far as NFE goes, he's the most 'complete' looking one.
Why don't we just do this for Masquerain? I don't know if this change is way too drastic, but what if we changed Masquerain's Flying back to Water? Do you actually want every Pokémon being used, because I had assumed that this was for mostly fully-evolved Pokémon-not ones that belong in LC. I doubt that Surskit would be used with Politoed-even if it did have Drizzle.
HP Atk Def SA SD Spd
Surskit: 40-> 58 / 30 / 32 / 50 -> 67 / 52 / 65 -> 85
Masquerain: 70/ 60 / 62 / 80 / 82 / 60
Politoed: 90 / 75 / 75 / 90 /100/ 70

The only thing Surskit has over the rest is Speed, and that is actually a problem for a weather user. Let me explain-if a Drizzler and a Droughter are both leads, the slower Pokémon's weather stays. So Politoed's slowness works to its advantage. But if you look more closely, you'll see that Masquerain has lower Speeds than both of them! And that could easily be remedied after switch-in (the ideal time to boost a weather-inducer's Speed-just ask Tyranitar,) with Quiver Dance, as long as Masquerain gets it just like Surskit.
There is one thing that Surskit might be able to pull off-Baton Pass. From the data you've provided, it seems like it's to learn Quiver Dance and Aqua Ring, two Baton Passing gems. I know that Surskit can learn Baton Pass naturally, so that might help. It would need much more bulk to pull that off, so maybe it could negate the Special Attack and Speed boosts so they could be replaced by Defense and Special Defense increases? I hope these help more than the whole Critical Boost idea.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions.

I really want to hold back from type changing, and Masquerain does have wings so I really would like to keep him flying-typed. There is merit in your idea - but just to defend Surskit at the moment, he would differ greatly from Politoed, able to bring in rain and baton pass which is a totally different function from what Politoed does. Politoed is a lead, frankly. Surskit has the potential to force a switch against certain fire types, can quiver dance, then baton pass straight out of there. I also don't want to increase Surskit's defenses too significantly, because he is visually tiny and frail-looking. I could maybe buff his speed up if I were to give Masquerain a water-typing, but then what purpose would he serve better over Masquerain? Baton passing just a little better, with less offensive potential?

Your idea does have some merit, but the goal of this project is to make NFEs viable in OU (not LC). It's not the highest priority right now, but the eventual goal is there to be definitive difference between Bulbasaur, Venusaur, Venusaur w/o MEVO and Ivysaur. You would pick one of these pokemon for a specific (set of) roles(s) that they excel at over their pre-vo or evo. Bulbasaur might get access to an ability that lets him have higher speed than his evolutions, allowing him to set up, or maybe with eviolite he's more defensively bulky than Ivysaur or Venusaur? It's going to be a challenge to balance these ideas, which is why it's a low priority, but the goal is for pre-volutions to have (mostly) inferior stats to their evolutions, but perhaps have abilities which let them perform in a different niche (a good example of this is Gamefreak's utilization of Prankster for Murkrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)