Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

If I want to use this exploit for genderless pokemon does that mean that the "pre-breed Magikarp" is useless?

Went through part of the thread and couldn't find it, let's say I figure out the child's IV distribution from its parents. Then I reset the game to when I rejected the egg. Can I essentially save whenever I want afterwards to make sure I find the right pokemon on the friend safari to breed with?

I'm basically asking if saving after the first save when I reject the egg will mess up the RNG?

Nidoran counts as bigender. I haven't yet tested illumise but I assume the same is true.

After the egg is rejected the spread is saved until you generate another egg. Just remember to take out the parents of the rejected egg.

If I use a 50-50 gender ratio test couple, I can only use another 50-50 couple for the actual breeding is that right?

I wana ask about Pure Female/Pure Male Pokemon. Im assuming I cant follow the 50-50 result from the test parents with that gender ratio.
So If I breed a male pokemon with ditto, it would be female. If I breed it with a Female, Ditto is male? So how should the test parents for these pokemon be like?

If I use a 50-50 gender ratio test couple, I can only use another 50-50 couple for the actual breeding is that right?

I wana ask about Pure Female/Pure Male Pokemon. Im assuming I cant follow the 50-50 result from the test parents with that gender ratio.
So If I breed a male pokemon with ditto, it would be female. If I breed it with a Female, Ditto is male? So how should the test parents for these pokemon be like?
It will work just fine, except for the gender, if the test parents have different gender ratios. I'm not sure about Ditto, though.

There are two spreads, one for pokemon that can only be one gender/genderless and one for pokemon which can be male or female. Your test parent needs to be from the same spread as the target. Ditto counts as the opposite gender; in the case of genderless + ditto, ditto is the female.

Has anyone had to update their 3DS recently? For the past few days I keep rejecting the update offer when I get to the 3DS main menu just in case they're trying to fix this because I'd like to get the most out of this pseudo-RNG egg abuse thing as much as I can.

Now suddenly today, I tried connecting to the internet through the Pokemon game and got Error Code 002-0120, which says "In order to use online services, a newer version of this software is required." Found it weird that I never got this message for the past few days that I've been denying the update offer through the 3DS menu, and now I'm suddenly getting the prompt in the game.
I'm still holding it off to play it safe, so no connecting to the internet for me for a while.

Has anyone updated either or both? and if you did, did it affect the effectiveness of this IV distribution method?

edit: thought it might be important to note that I actually have a 2DS, not a clampshell

Has anyone had to update their 3DS recently? For the past few days I keep rejecting the update offer when I get to the 3DS main menu just in case they're trying to fix this because I'd like to get the most out of this pseudo-RNG egg abuse thing as much as I can.

Now suddenly today, I tried connecting to the internet through the Pokemon game and got Error Code 002-0120, which says "In order to use online services, a newer version of this software is required." Found it weird that I never got this message for the past few days that I've been denying the update offer through the 3DS menu, and now I'm suddenly getting the prompt in the game.
I'm still holding it off to play it safe, so no connecting to the internet for me for a while.

Has anyone updated either or both? and if you did, did it affect the effectiveness of this IV distribution method?

edit: thought it might be important to note that I actually have a 2DS, not a clampshell

If it does fix it, you could in theory just delete the update info and use the method, and then re-update when you want to go online. If you can put the update on a SD card and remove it when you want to breed would be even better since then you don't need to keep downloading the update. This is assuming that deleting the update doesn't cause an issue with the game.

The reason you're only getting the prompt now and not right when the update came out is probably just some sort of grace period, or maybe they were just lazy in implementing it.

That said, I haven't updated yet. I've been too busy to play recently.

There are two spreads, one for pokemon that can only be one gender/genderless and one for pokemon which can be male or female. Your test parent needs to be from the same spread as the target. Ditto counts as the opposite gender; in the case of genderless + ditto, ditto is the female.
So..If I use a 100% Male + Ditto as a test parent, then I swap with a 100% Female + Ditto for the actual. Would the spread be the same in this case since the gender ratios of the Pokemon are the same?

Hello there. I have a question about this method.
I successfully used test magikarps to produce a 31/x/31/31/31/31 spread. The female has the hidden ability. Then I saved at this point since this is the spread I would get for the next egg.

I switched to a 7male:1female ratio parents in to produce a perfect IV offspring. This does result in the IV spread I want. However, is the gender locked because I am trying to get a female?

I am wasting time by soft resetting to get a female?

Last edited:
Hello there. I have a question about this method.
I successfully used test magikarps to produce a 31/x/31/31/31/31 spread. The female has the hidden ability. Then I saved at this point since this is the spread I would get for the next egg.

I switched to a 7male:1female ratio parents in to produce a perfect IV offspring. This does result in the IV spread I want. However, is the gender locked because I am trying to get a female?

I am wasting time by soft resetting to get a female?
Yes, gender is locked. Even if your test magikarp hatched into male, once you swap out to pokemon with a different gender ratio, the IV distribtution will still be the same, but the gender won't be guaranteed to be the same as your test magikarp, which is the reason magikarp is really just good for 50/50 pokemon.
For 7:1 pokemon, use test combees. That way you'll get your desired gender.

Yes, gender is locked. Even if your test magikarp hatched into male, once you swap out to pokemon with a different gender ratio, the IV distribtution will still be the same, but the gender won't be guaranteed to be the same as your test magikarp, which is the reason magikarp is really just good for 50/50 pokemon.
I see. So to reiterate, using a 50/50 and switching to a different gender ratio will not result in a locked gender, yes? And if I reset, I will have a chance to possibly get a female?

I was hoping not to use the same gender ratio because the amount of work would be the same, if not more.
The chance of rolling getting the right wild card is 1/6 and combined with a 1/8 chance to get a female, that would be 1/48 chance to get the right IV distribution and gender.

OH ! the spread will be the same?? Ah crap I thought the IV spread only locks for the Pokemon in the SAME gender ratio.
But a different story applies for PURE Male/Female+Ditto and Genderless Pokemon+Ditto? Such that the IV spread will be different? Or will it still be the same?

I see. So to reiterate, using a 50/50 and switching to a different gender ratio will not result in a locked gender, yes? And if I reset, I will have a chance to possibly get a female?

I was hoping not to use the same gender ratio because the amount of work would be the same, if not more.
The chance of rolling getting the right wild card is 1/6 and combined with a 1/8 chance to get a female, that would be 1/48 chance to get the right IV distribution and gender.
No not quite, but it's my fault for my wording ("but the gender won't be guaranteed to be the same as your test magikarp") so I'm glad you reiterated so I could catch that.

What I meant was that just because your test offspring resulted in female, doesn't mean your swapped-7:1 ratio offspring will be female (the chances of it turning out to be male are higher actually), but what results won't change. If it turns out that your post-test egg (or "real egg" if you prefer) is a certain gender, it will be that gender no matter how many times you softreset it (and I've verified this many times).
In other words, if you finally got the IV spread you wanted but the resulting egg was not the gender you wanted, it's back to square one (though my handle on that kind of situation would be to take advantage of that spread and follow through with the breeding--it might prove useful for further breeding or spitback-trading if anything else).

So I guess in a way gender is ALWAYS locked if you think about it like that. My theory on this is that once you lock in the IV spread after the reject/save step, the game locks in all the gender possiblities for all possible ratio pairings. As an example, the game may definitely decide for you get a female as long as your swapped parents are the same ratio as Magikarps, but it may have also already decided what would happen if you swapped out those Magikarps for other ratios, like a resulting male for 7:1, or female for 3:1.

IMO, this is why using Magikarps are great if you don't care about the resulting gender, because as you said, it is less work. But in regards to your problem, just use Combees (which have the shortest hacthing time out of all the 7:1 pokemon I believe, aside from baby-status pokemon). With Combees, the only difference is that you would keep rolling until you got both the spread AND gender you wanted as you've already assumed. Yeah I suppose it would be tedious if you're breeding for perfect, but I've only ever shot for 5IVs, not 6. My advice to make the time pass would be to start breeding other Pokemon using this method. Then if in the middle of your breeding you stumble upon the wildcard stat and it is 31, swap back to your 7:1 Pokemon and hope for the best. This is how I unintentionally got my perfect Squirtle.

Last edited:
OH ! the spread will be the same?? Ah crap I thought the IV spread only locks for the Pokemon in the SAME gender ratio.
But a different story applies for PURE Male/Female+Ditto and Genderless Pokemon+Ditto? Such that the IV spread will be different? Or will it still be the same?
Yep, the spread will definitely stay the same, and yes i think it is a diff story for the ones you've mentioned. As for genderless+ditto, I took someone elses helpful advice and marked the stats as D and G, for instance D/D/X/G/D/G (I use a magnemite as a scout for genderless). As for your question about 100% gendered Pokemon, afraid I dont know (havent bothered to breed in that ratio group yet), but perhaps Arc Tecrh may have answered this.

Last edited:
Regular shininess is NOT inherited by the egg. There was reports about Masuda so I decided to try it out since I just hatched a shiny Scatterbug with those inheritances:

Scatterbug:
HP: Father
Atk: Father
Def: Father
SpA: Random (4)
SpD: Father
Spe: Father

Since it was a shitty spread for a Special Attacker, I decided to 'throw it away' for research. Did not work, my Honedge came with the same spread (penta flawless from Father) but not shiny.
----

Before someone else asked, I reseted again and tried putting in the parents I used to get the spread in the first place(same order, same equipped items). Still not shiny. Tried again substituting the parents just to be absolutely sure, and it was not shiny.

Last edited:
Yep, the spread will definitely stay the same, and yes i think it is a diff story for the ones you've mentioned. As for genderless+ditto, I took someone elses helpful advice and marked the stats as D and G, for instance D/D/X/G/D/G (I use a magnemite as a scout for genderless). As for your question about 100% gendered Pokemon, afraid I dont know (havent bothered to breed in that ratio group yet), but perhaps Arc Tecrh may have answered this.
Ahh I see.

I have another question about Abilities.

Lets say my parent Inkay has Contrary and the offspring turned out with Suction Cups, does that mean if I put in a Suction Cups parent, I will get an offspring with Contrary?

EDIT:
Ok I think 1st Ability OR 2nd Ability are locked. I bred an Axew with Mold Breaker (apparently its 2ND Ability) and that got passed down. Previously about the Inkay, Suction Cups is the 2ND Ability so...I guess it's locked that way?

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I have some information that might help some people when trying to pass down abilities. I had been using the RNG method to hatch a 5iv Gligar, and could NOT for the life of me get the HA to pass down even though both parents had Immunity. So after countless tries, I decided to go get 2 Magikarps with Rattled, it's HA. Went through the whole method, got a Magi-kid from the parents with Rattled on it and BOOM! First Gligar I hatch through RNG has Immunity. Now on the side, I had also been going for a Sturdy Skarmory, decided to get 2 Marril's with Huge Power, it's 2nd ability, and the same results happened, Sturdy came out if the baby had it. Sorry if this is a repost or not even new information, just trying to save people some frustration! Happy hatching!

Hello everyone! I have some information that might help some people when trying to pass down abilities. I had been using the RNG method to hatch a 5iv Gligar, and could NOT for the life of me get the HA to pass down even though both parents had Immunity. So after countless tries, I decided to go get 2 Magikarps with Rattled, it's HA. Went through the whole method, got a Magi-kid from the parents with Rattled on it and BOOM! First Gligar I hatch through RNG has Immunity. Now on the side, I had also been going for a Sturdy Skarmory, decided to get 2 Marril's with Huge Power, it's 2nd ability, and the same results happened, Sturdy came out if the baby had it. Sorry if this is a repost or not even new information, just trying to save people some frustration! Happy hatching!
Great post! HAHA I also discovered this above and I think it's really helpful :D

EDIT!!! ::

Actually is ABILITY locked WITH Gender?
For example:

I used Skrelp with Poison Point (Ability #1) and the child had Poison Point.
I subtituted with Omanyte with Shell Armor (Ability #2) and the child had Shell Armor and not Swift Swim (Ability #1). So...I'm wondering is the Ability locked WITH the Gender ratio.

???

Last edited:
On this whole ability 1 vs 2 thing: I believe the mother's ability has a higher chance of being passed down, rather than a straight 50/50 coin flip. Because of that, there will be cases where changing the mother will change the ability, as above. However, if it works how I expect (will need to be tested) there are also cases where it will be the same.

My hypothesis:
The game checks the mothers ability and rolls for an x% chance of inheritance. If successful, then the child has the same ability as the parent and changing the mother will change the ability.
If unsuccessful, then the coin makes a 50/50 coin flip to choose the ability. This will not change with the mother. This also means that if the mother has ability 1 and the child ability 2, then the child will always have ability 2.

If this is in fact the same mechanism of how a hidden ability is inherited (which is a possibility), then you can check the case for all scenarios by breeding a female parent with a HA and 2 normal abilities and thus be able to see if the child inherited, random 1, or random 2.

This will need some testing to confirm however. Showing that it is the same mechanism as HA inheritance should be enough to prove my hypothesis, since the rest follows. E.G. test the skrelp/omanyte egg above (assuming you haven't saved with it hatched already) with a couple that can pass down a HA, the child should inherit the HA.

Females definitely push abilities more easily, only way to get the HA to pass unless you have a male with it and a Ditto. Even then it is very slim. Also through experimenting, you can not force HA's to pass down. I got a Magi-kid with Rattled and tried to force Gale Wings to a Fletchling with Flame Body and it did not work, I didn't think it would haha! That would have been toooo easy...

On this whole ability 1 vs 2 thing: I believe the mother's ability has a higher chance of being passed down, rather than a straight 50/50 coin flip. Because of that, there will be cases where changing the mother will change the ability, as above. However, if it works how I expect (will need to be tested) there are also cases where it will be the same.

My hypothesis:
The game checks the mothers ability and rolls for an x% chance of inheritance. If successful, then the child has the same ability as the parent and changing the mother will change the ability.
If unsuccessful, then the coin makes a 50/50 coin flip to choose the ability. This will not change with the mother. This also means that if the mother has ability 1 and the child ability 2, then the child will always have ability 2.

If this is in fact the same mechanism of how a hidden ability is inherited (which is a possibility), then you can check the case for all scenarios by breeding a female parent with a HA and 2 normal abilities and thus be able to see if the child inherited, random 1, or random 2.

This will need some testing to confirm however. Showing that it is the same mechanism as HA inheritance should be enough to prove my hypothesis, since the rest follows. E.G. test the skrelp/omanyte egg above (assuming you haven't saved with it hatched already) with a couple that can pass down a HA, the child should inherit the HA.
I tested this again using my Sniper horsea/0iv bidoof test parent and the child gained Ability 1 (Swift Swim) which had 20% chance of passing down from the female since we knw that for the OTHER ability to be passed, there was only 20% chance. So I tried it on my Vullaby with Big Pecks, thinking perhaps this PROBABILTY will be locked. Turns out not. My Vullaby still had the 80% ability (Big Pecks. I was trying to get Overcoat). So I came down to 2 possible conclusions:

1) Ability number is locked.
2) Ability is locked with Gender ratio, such that when u change the parents to those with a different gender ratio, the probability of passing of abilities is also affected.

Females definitely push abilities more easily, only way to get the HA to pass unless you have a male with it and a Ditto. Even then it is very slim. Also through experimenting, you can not force HA's to pass down. I got a Magi-kid with Rattled and tried to force Gale Wings to a Fletchling with Flame Body and it did not work, I didn't think it would haha! That would have been toooo easy...
I think females pass on HA as well definitely. And yes, even with Males and Ditto, I think there's only what...60% chance of the HA passing down. Im still really unsure about the HA probability, so i only do it by trial-and-error. Sometimes I just take a chance with the parents, hoping the HA gets passed and when it doesn't I just reset it.

I tested this again using my Sniper horsea/0iv bidoof test parent and the child gained Ability 1 (Swift Swim) which had 20% chance of passing down from the female since we knw that for the OTHER ability to be passed, there was only 20% chance. So I tried it on my Vullaby with Big Pecks, thinking perhaps this PROBABILTY will be locked. Turns out not. My Vullaby still had the 80% ability (Big Pecks. I was trying to get Overcoat). So I came down to 2 possible conclusions:

1) Ability number is locked.
2) Ability is locked with Gender ratio, such that when u change the parents to those with a different gender ratio, the probability of passing of abilities is also affected.
Your experiment does not contradict my hypothesis, although I expect that like iv spreads + nature this would be affected by the bigender/monogender split and would have tossed the data on that assumption if it had contradicted. If you still have the egg in this experiment, can you check to see if HA is passed down (and even better do it on a poke with 2 abilities, so if not we get the number. It should be 1, still).

I have a question regarding this method. Say that I want to use this exploit for hatching a shiny. After locking in the desired spread, I switch the parents out for a Masuda-eligible pair. Will soft resetting change the shininess value of the egg, or is the shininess value locked in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)