Spelling and Grammar Standards

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For what its worth, "parashuffler" sounds super colloquial to me, and I was pretty surprised when I saw it accepted in the standards.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For what its worth, "parashuffler" sounds super colloquial to me, and I was pretty surprised when I saw it accepted in the standards.
"Parashuffling" and "parashuffler" are accepted to fit together with "paraflinching" and "paraflincher". The other way to say "parashuffler," "Pokemon that paralyzes and phazes," is super long and clunky, so that's another reason if you need one.

"Pursuit trap" should probably be added as a coined term, meaning "to threaten a Pokemon that is likely to switch with Pursuit" or something similar

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The term Pursuit trap is accepted as meaning "KOing or threatening to KO a Pokemon that is likely to switch with Pursuit."

Let me know if ya want something else Oglemi or whoevs

Reactions: Muk

tehy

Banned deucer.
Hey, so I saw the term "SturdyJuice' over at the Pineco analysis; i skimmed through the rest of the lc sturdy mons' analyses, and this term is only in one of them (Shieldon), but a lot of LC analyses could really use its existence from what I saw; there are sets are named 'Sturdy+Berry Juice', and 'the Sturdy+Berry juice combination' or (very) similar show up in quite a few of these analyses.

I guess some LC people should also weigh in, but is there any possibility of this becoming a coined term?

Edit:
Electrolyte
not sure where you got efficiency from (when i said 'they look like they could use it' i meant they looked like the guy wanted to say sturdyjuice but couldn't, possibly). That said, if the term isn't that entrenched, whatever (this is why i wanted lc people to weigh in).

Also someone take it out of Shieldon and make sure it leaves Pineco

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just talked to Briyella

@Electrolyte: is the term "sturdyjuice" used much now
@Electrolyte: tehy brought it up in the gp Q&A thread
@Electrolyte: I don't remember it being a term back when I played but I wanted to check with people that actually play now first
Goddess Briyella ♥: yes
Goddess Briyella ♥: but
Goddess Briyella ♥: SturdyJuice
Goddess Briyella ♥: if you want to be safe, just say the combination of Sturdy and Berry Juice
@Electrolyte: ok because I don't want to force it to be a term for the sake of efficiency if it's not already a term
@Electrolyte: everything already says sturdy + berry juice so if they're even equally as used then I don't see the point

We shouldn't necessarily "coin terms" just for the sake of efficiency; if that were the case, analyses would spiral into the chaos of slang. Therefore, because most analyses already have "Sturdy + Berry Juice" and "SturdyJuice" isn't so popular to the point where people readily use it instead of the fleshed out version, I don't see the point of making it official and changing all of the already existing analyses, as even any possibility of efficiency would be cancelled out by the fact that we'd have to go back and make all of those changes.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This has bugged me forever. You cannot faint a Pokemon. You make it faint or KO it.

Faint is an intransitive verb. It cannot take an object.

So why is this allowed in Smogon's GP standards?

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This has bugged me forever. You cannot faint a Pokemon. You make it faint or KO it.

I've actually always had a similar problem with flinch.

Fake out shouldn't flinch Pikachu. Pikachu flinched because of Fake Out.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean, with SturdyJuice you can already tell what the term is referring to, but yeah if I see it again I'll change it because it isn't that big of a deal.

also, some words of wisdom from a departed soul
[23:36:51] +fleurdyleurse: sturdyjuice doesn't really matter and is really a matter of convenience 9.9
[23:37:19] +fleurdyleurse: i mean if you want to change it you can just do mass sweeps on the scms, which apparently take 2-3 days to do
[23:39:46] +fleurdyleurse: i agree with faint/flinch pretty much because if we're going to emphasize commas before as, because > since, and all that stuff, there really isn't any reason to be even more correct.
[23:40:15] +fleurdyleurse: furthermore, faint means "lose consciousness for a short time because of a temporarily insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain," not "to make something lose consciousness for a short time because of a temporarily insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain."
[23:41:45] +fleurdyleurse: same for flinch: it means "make a quick, nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain," so "flinching" something isn't very correct.
[23:43:30] +fleurdyleurse: imo we don't have to change every instance of "faint x" or "flinch x" that has been used so far, but after this "faint x / flinch x" shouldn't be used.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps I am being too nitpicky, but a ton of dex entries use the phrase: Pokemon X "makes for" a good partner for Pokemon Y. Why not just "makes a good partner for" or "is a good partner for?" The added "for" feels like the frowned upon "useless filler" condemned in the op.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps I am being too nitpicky, but a ton of dex entries use the phrase: Pokemon X "makes for" a good partner for Pokemon Y. Why not just "makes a good partner for" or "is a good partner for?" The added "for" feels like the frowned upon "useless filler" condemned in the op.
'Makes for' isn't exactly wrong, as essentially what it means is like 'produces this result' or 'fulfills this purpose', which is perfectly valid. It's more of a style preference than anything; for instance, I think that it makes for smoother and better writing. That's obviously subjective as all hell and that's exactly my point. There's no real reason to make this a hard rule, especially when it's so minor and extremely common.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm not sure of any cases that faint was used as a verb (I certainly can't remember times I've seen it), but I reworded the use of it as a verb in the standards. That was my mistake anyway.

Another thing for you guys: I've seen a lot of use of "straight up" in analyses. Everything I see about it has its definition as "truthfully" or "cool". Saying "Diggersby can straight up KO many walls" doesn't make any sense at all. If you guys see this, make sure to change it to something suitable.

GatoDelFuego

Another annoying thing I've been seeing a lot: stop saying stuff like "Ice Beam is a good move that hits Flying-types super effectively" or "Substitute is the standard move that lets [Pokemon] avoid status". Phrases like 'the standard move' or 'the good move' are just a rewording of 'crux of the set'; they offer completely useless filler and pad length. The above sentence could just remove it to say "Ice beam hits Flying-types super effectively" and would be fine. It wouldn't be on an analysis if it wasn't a good move :)

GP people just be aware of it and remove it if you see it. It's already in the standards, so there's nothing to add, but recognize this new form.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Another annoying thing I've been seeing a lot: stop saying stuff like "Ice Beam is a good move that hits Flying-types super effectively" or "Substitute is the standard move that lets [Pokemon] avoid status". Phrases like 'the standard move' or 'the good move' are just a rewording of 'crux of the set'; they offer completely useless filler and pad length. The above sentence could just remove it to say "Ice beam hits Flying-types super effectively" and would be fine. It wouldn't be on an analysis if it wasn't a good move :)
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes

This is just pure fluff, contains 0 information except 'is a good move', which no shit

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

GP people just be aware of it and remove it if you see it. It's already in the standards, so there's nothing to add, but recognize this new form.
Really, if something is obvious don't say it at all. If you can't think of a specific use that a non-STAB move on the set has, then you haven't played with the Pokemon enough to be writing an analysis for it.

This isn't something that needs to be codified, but mods/GPers/QCers should definitely keep this in mind when going over things.

GatoDelFuego

I've seen this usage for over half of the past 10 analyses I've checked, and I wanted to double check something with you guys before I added it to the standards. Currently, we have...
  • Use "switch-in" when referring to a Pokemon that often switches in on another (Scizor is a common switch-in to Latias).
Now, switch-in is a noun here, but refers to the Pokemon that is coming in. I've been seeing a lot of use of "U-turn and Volt Switch users can provide free switch-ins for X" and "X can provide free switch-ins for the opponent if it sets up too early".

In this case, switch-in is still a noun, but instead is referring to the free switch that you or the opponent is getting. In these cases, 'switch-in' should be 'switches', as in "U-turn users can provide a free switch in for your team". I'll add a bit on this after the switch-in rules in the standards if nobody has any objections.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure of any cases that faint was used as a verb (I certainly can't remember times I've seen it), but I reworded the use of it as a verb in the standards. That was my mistake anyway.
Not to be a whiner about this lol but I do just have to say the reason it was driving me crazy is because I've seen it quite a few times onsite. A recent example of it skating through is here in your own check: "Final Gambit faints Accelgor"

Anyway, thanks for changing it. I don't expect anyone to go back through analyses already on site and do SMCS edits (I certainly don't have that kind of effort in me), but it'd be great going forward if people were particularly attentive to this :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
"U-turn and Volt Switch provides [X Pokemon] with a free switch in" is the correct terminology, since switch is the verb (adverb?) in this case. "switch-in" is a noun to describe what is being switched in. "switch into" is the act of switching a pokemon into an attack.

Please do not ever say the sentence "U-turn provides free switches for your team" because a) no shit and b) switches as a noun sounds awkward as hell

GatoDelFuego

Oglemi I have a proven track record of making really awful example sentences. Let me know if this is alright or should be altered at all...

• A "free switch in" refers to the act of a Pokemon coming into battle with no downsides (A slow U-turn or Volt Switch can provide a teammate with a free switch in).

But the main point was that "free switch-in" (w/ hyphen) is totally wrong because it makes no sense everyone pls stop using it ;_;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)