Sports that you play

Whether you're on a team or just play it recreationally. Talk about what sports you play or even ask how to improve, things like that.

I run track, just started this year (my season ended yesterday), it's my first high school sport (sophomore). I'm OK for someone who hasn't really played a sport in 4 years, but not good compared to the other distance runners on my team. I did improve a decent amount in the season from my first meets though (6:36 1600 to 5:46 1600, please don't laugh at my awful times) I'm not sure what I should be doing off season to improve other than run more (my coach told me specifically NOT to lift weights, though, but I'm mainly interested in working leg and core). I know a huge problem I have is a lack of kick at the end of a race (yesterday, I was leading the slow heat in the last 400 until I was outkicked at the last 100m, then I ended second last). I have very little muscle though so that may have something to do with it.

Planning on joining cross country next year. So what sports do you guys play? (Any answers to how I could improve over the summer is appreciated too)

Middle School, I played for the school's basketball every year and baseball team for two years I was there. My basketball team won the championship when I was a 6th grader, but I played mostly garbage time. I also tried track for a little bit, but I didn't like it, so I bailed out before any major events started.

High School, I played for the school's basketball team for two years (freshman, sophomore) before quitting for personal reasons. My highlights during those years were my sophomore year when I started at PG and helped the team make it to city finals b4 losing to our rival school. I also played recreational for my district team during my freshman year.

Nowadays, I just play basketball, beach football, bowling, and baseball (if anyone wants to play) whenever I get a chance. I would also like try other sports like tennis, golf, soccer, etc. if I was given a great opportunity to be good at it.

edit: to you to get better. I dunno lol, run everyday? my roommate runs 2 miles everyday to strengthen his calves and stamina/endurance

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
Playing sports are definitely a big part of my life. I played basketball and baseball in high school. Basketball as a freshman and sophomore, wasn't good enough for varsity. Baseball I played as a soph, junior and senior. I liked playing basketball more but I was a bit better at baseball so I stuck with that. In college, there are a ton of IM sports to choose from and its all pretty casual so I've played the usual stuff like basketball and flag football and some more eccentric sports like dodgeball and broomball. I play tennis and pickleball just casually and golf occasionally (basically whenever i can steal my dad's clubs)

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't enjoy as many sports as the two koalas posting before me do, but I have two I've participated in since I was ~4 years old: Ice Hockey and martial arts (first at an aikido dojo, then the mix muay thai / bjj dojos that started popping up everywhere about 8 years ago).

I played on various town and club hockey teams growing up, played on the varsity team at my high school and then played at our club team here at Case (unfortunately we don't have an official team). I was so incredibly lucky to find a cheap muay thai / bjj dojo near campus that I go to 4 times a week.

What helped me improve in both (and really any physical activity) was learning how to stretch properly and work on balance. It took me a while but I only started doing post workout / game stretching my last year in high school, and I have to say that improved my recovery time drastically.

I've played cricket since I was 8 or so. It dominates my life during the summer - I have spent most of this term sacrificing my degree to get out on the cricket pitch - fun times. I used to think I was an all-rounded but my batting prowess has slowly decreased over the years, but fortunately my bowling has steadily increased. I would like to think I will pick up the batting again some time, but as long as the bowling works, I'll be more than happy.

Samesies with golf - always been proud of my medium to short irons. Just don't ask me to play off the tee or around the greens :D

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing cricket for as long as I can remember and I have had some decent success with it. I made it into a local county trial and I am consistently picking up wickets for my local club's senior team. I currently top the league's averages so far, with 10-98, so it's all going well. I haven't had chance to bat yet this season, but I am not too confident with my batting, I prefer just chucking in some medium pace now and again.

I also play Rugby League. I used to play for a club as a winger for about 4 years, until I decided I couldn't be arsed anymore. I play for the school team regularly though and we only recently lost a semi-final.

Another sport I play a lot is football (soccer), but I don't really rate my skills at this. I play at right back and am pretty solid with tackling and passing.

I used to run cross-country for my school and came 4th in a local trial race, 1 place off being selected for the local squads. D:

Loki, care to explain broomball a little? It sounds interesting.

I ran cross-country from 7th grade to 9th grade until the cartilage in my knees started messing up. I really enjoyed it, but now I can't remember how it feels to run without my knees aching.

I wrestled from 5th grade to 11th, but again, I started getting cartilage problems. I would have easily placed in state my sophomore year, but in the last tournament before region, I tore my MCL. I wrestled the guy who ended up winning region, and he only beat me 3-2 with a torn ligament. That healed, but it was looser, so my kneecap could move around too much and it wore away cartilage.

So my senior year I went back to swimming (which I had done from kindergarten to 7th grade), and that was fun. I wasn't too serious about it, and I still got on the A-team for the 400-meter relay, so all in all a really good season.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I play in the sense that I play mostly with friends. We go out and play game of pick up soccer, or some tackle football, with half the field LOL.

Not athletic at all. I am an average runner, and have horrible coordination and have no arm strength. I cannot catch for shit. I, however, can kick a soccer ball, and dribble with and get past defenders, which I'm okay with.

Trying to improve on those arms. Maybe I could fulfill my dreams of actually being good at basketball. Years of watching my cousin pummel people in street ball kinda makes you want to do the same (and he's my size, but has arms three times as mine, and runs like a tank and fast enough so that he could made the Varsity track team in university).

I play football competitvely in one of the semi-pro teams in my area as well as enjoy swimming, alot. I have good speed although my stamina is slacking. I also am currently doing Kung-fu lessons and have obtained an orange belt (for the meantime).

I play varsity soccer for my high school (Sophmore, to be Junior) and I'm hoping to get a scholarship to a good college and then play in the MLS! I love it and I've asked plenty of people here for advice before (especially Stathakis) and it's greatly improved how well I do. Soccer is just about all I can do, though, so I'm glad I'm good at it. (Go Fire)

Rugby Union for a local team. I know a lot of US peopele may not understand what rugby is (unless they have seen invictus) but suffice to say it is probably the 2nd most popular sport in the UK - and a big part of sporting culture in France, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and France.

And it is an obsession in my native Wales!

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
I swim for my highschool and do pretty well in it, this past season I placed 10th in the 200 IM (individual medley) out of 36 other nigs. Which is pretty good because it was my first competitive year swimming and the district that my school is in is one of the hardest districts in the whole state. I also enjoy basketball but don't play it very much since I started swimming I just go hard at that.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ever since i was young, i've only played basketball until grade 11. recently, i've been boxing now and i am almost quitting basketball -- lost of interest that's all. however, i'll only play basketball occasionally shirts versus skins with girls. other than that, boxing for life !

I used to do a lot of Tae Kwon Do, generally 3-4 times a week for a few years. I got to Black Belt in Oct 2007 and just kind of got bored, the instructor became a bit of a douche really, and club numbers started to wane so it wasn't as enjoyable. I did a few tournaments and picked up a couple of medals, best/biggest was Silver Medal in the Welsh Champs for Tag Sparring. I always did TKD as more of a hobby, and it simply stopped being fun.

I used to do a lot of running (not "competitive", just as a way of keeping fit) but that stopped when I got lazy. It's definitely something I want to pick up again though because I don't really do much exercise anymore so I guess that would be a decent way to keep fit.

I can't throw a ball or anything to save my life, so that rules out quite a few things!

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
High School Soccer from freshman to this my Junior year...not doing next year (senior).

If only my school had wrestling, I'd probably have a real reason to go the school then!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I play soccer and I am pretty good at it too. I also enjoy playing Tennis and Cricket. Its harder to find time to play though with UNiversity and work taking up much of my time.

Been playing basketball and baseball since 6th grade. I dropped baseball since I wasn't really that good with it. Started by being a casual thing then joined several teams and got progressively better. Made my high school's varsity team during my freshman and sophomore years then kind of lost interest. I moved to Colombia and now I play it as more of a for-fun thing since the team I played on for my school was knocked out of the city-wide tournament in the semi-finals.

Hey guys, it's Clint Dempsey. Just wanted to say thanks for your support throughout the World Cup. I promise the cup.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Started playing soccer when I was 2 and living in Scotland and I played that all the way through high school, took a break for a few years in college, then picked it up again. I currently play both indoor and outdoor adult soccer.

Played basketball for about 8 years in a league through my grade school years, and I continue to play but just pickup.

I enjoy playing lots of different sports in pickup scenarios like football, volleyball, and tennis. I hate baseball.

I play soccer itself
I play the goalkeeper position, and my coach says I am the most important member of the team :)
I dont want to sound like I am bragging or to be too modest, so I will say that I am an alright player. I have saved my team's asses a couple of times. (Which is what they are supposed to do)
I once played cricket for 1 year but left since it was boring

I suppose if you want to help yourself run better, you could do short sprints alternating
Eg. Sprint for 20m, then jog for 20m, Sprint for 20m, Jog for 20m ad so forth

I play soccer for fun and to lose some weight. I'm a defender, which means anyone trying to score a goal shall be walled by me. I'd say I'm pretty average, just need to learn some tricks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)