Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

Honestly I don't think that Pult would become an issue. Things like Clefable only need to invest a little bit into Special Defense, and with Weavile gone it would actually worry less about defense and I think would just be a very good Pult check. Things like SpDef Lando and AV Melm can already beat down Pult. Hydreigon basically forces Pult to use Draco Meteor which can be played around, and overall even with Specs 100 Special Attack just isn't enough to be a gamebreaking threat. Pult will absolutely stay a top threat with the threat of Weavile gone, but it won't be overwhelming I dont think.
This is all true
Blissey, Mandibuzz, Toxapex, Tyranitar, SDef Clefable, SDef Heatran, and SDef Hippowdon are still available answers and much of them get better in Weavile's absence and more offensive threats To it include zerora , scarf fini, and Bisharp and galar moltres . And there is spdef lando nowadays too as you mentioned

However these are mostly answers to its choice specs set and not sure if in a weavile- less meta band or ddance would get better

Honestly I don't think that Pult would become an issue. Things like Clefable only need to invest a little bit into Special Defense, and with Weavile gone it would actually worry less about defense and I think would just be a very good Pult check. Things like SpDef Lando and AV Melm can already beat down Pult. Hydreigon basically forces Pult to use Draco Meteor which can be played around, and overall even with Specs 100 Special Attack just isn't enough to be a gamebreaking threat. Pult will absolutely stay a top threat with the threat of Weavile gone, but it won't be overwhelming I dont think.
Clefable and others would be fine checks, but on the grand scale how will teams adapt to its sets and vise versa. Dragapult has a lot of tools at its disposal, and has plenty of room to experiment in the absence of Weavile. Not all of its sets share common checks and counters, and it can be difficult to tell what set it is from the preview. I wouldn't compare it to Kyurem, but is it really that far fetched to say that its offensive presence and the variety of its sets will be problematic, requiring multiple specific checks just to deal with it? Especially if they have to dance around its coverage, due to its deep move pool.

"I'm just gonna click Knock Off with my Scarf Kartana and-- oh damn it was Colbur Berry my bad bro ggs"

"I think my Clefable checks his Dragapult, just gotta finish it with Moonbla-- oh, it was bulky Weakness Policy."

"Bro there is literally no way he isn't Specs *proceeds to run into Modest Spell Tag*."

"Just gonna switch in with my physical check and 'The opposing Dragapult used Will-O-Wisp!' WHY."

Those are just some niche examples. All of a sudden everything has to prepare for the extremes of its sets and watch out for previously uncommon situations because Dragapult is less concerned about staying that little bit ahead of Weavile. I think putting Dragapult into the small frame of its currently manageable sets doesn't respect the entirety of the problem it could pose.

Last edited:
Mr. Rime

627px-Henry_Sutekkin.png

"Mr. Rime is highly skilled in tap dancing and waves its ice cane while it moves gracefully."

Mr. Rime's StatsPotential Stat Total (EV Investment)
HP:
270 - 364
Attack:
157 - 295
Defense:
139 - 273
Sp. Atk:
202 - 350
Sp. Def:
184 - 328
Speed:
130 - 262

"Mala, for the sake of my sanity, please stop talking about PU and ZU Pokemon in Overused; I beg of you. You've been doing this for years; please get a hobby, so we don't have to read this crap." - Half of Smogon, probably, idk.

On a non-comedic note (or possibly still comedic, it's pretty funny to think about Mr. Rime having OU use), Mr. Rime has been one of my favorite Pokemon to slot on my OU teams for the last month. I've been using three specific sets (I will explain the functionality of each of the three), and they each fit onto specific team archetypes quite well. So why does Mr. Rime dance its way into the competition within OU's insane power crept landscape? Simple; a vast movepool with significant role compression alongside an excellent offensive typing and a stat combination that's deceptively flexible. First, I will talk about Mr. Rime's unique qualities; then, we'll jump into the three sets I have frequently used. While these three sets aren't the only sets of Mr. Rime's that I have tested, they are the only ones I have EXTENSIVELY tested and thus will be the only sets I will talk about here (I will give a special mention to Trick Room variants right here, but more testing needs to be done overall). Afterward, I'll talk about partners that I've been using for Mr. Rime, and the types of benefits that they bring to the table regarding team synergy and core builds.
mr-rime.png

Unique Qualities:

Screen Cleaner

This unique ability (exclusive to Mr. Rime and its pre-evolution) instantly removes Aurora Veil, Light Screen, and Reflect's effects upon switching in. This ability eases the burden of prediction against Screens / Veil teams, creating potential offensive openings for you and your team and giving Pokemon that wouldn't be able to muscle through screens-protected teams a chance to clean house. It also puts innate pressure on your opponent, who now has to rethink damage calculations and their team switch dynamics entirely.

Support Move Variety + Role Compression

Being able to dismantle Screens and Aurora Veil instantly is not Mr. Rime's only strength. Mr. Rime has access to reliable recovery in Slack Off, the ability to get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin, and the ability to cripple an opposing threat with Encore or Trick. In addition to these fantastic choices, Mr. Rime has access to additional support options such as Calm Mind, Fake Out, Foul Play, Nasty Plot, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Trick Room. If you desire, it can also set up its own screens as it has access to Light Screen and Reflect.

Offensive Profile + Output

Mr. Rime's offensive typing is fantastic in OU, with its Ice / Psychic STABS hitting the following OU staples super effectively: Buzzwole, Dragapult, Dragonite (4x), Garchomp (4x), Hawlucha, Landorus-Therian (4x), Rillaboom, Tornadus-Therian, Toxapex, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Zapdos-Galar. In addition, its two best coverage moves, Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, allow Mr. Rime to nail Barraskewda, Corviknight, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Volcanion (Thunderbolt) and Bisharp (4x), Ferrothorn, Heatran, Kartana, Magnezone, Melmetal, Tyranitar, and Weavile (Focus Blast) for super effective damage.

Mr. Rime's solid base 110 Special Attack with 252 EVs and a Modest nature reaches a respectable 350, which allows it to hit some crucial damage benchmarks with its STAB moves. Here are some specific examples:
mr-rime.png

252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 476-564 (113.8 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 366-432 (115.4 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 386-456 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 314-372 (86.7 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 212-252 (69.7 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 434-512 (127.2 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO​

In addition to this, Thunderbolt as a coverage option is robust, accurate, and hits some pretty impressive thresholds, even without STAB.
mr-rime.png

252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Barraskewda: 332-392 (126.2 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 198-234 (49.6 - 58.6%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Volcanion: 208-246 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

Focus Blast is notoriously unreliable due to its accuracy. Still, it's an excellent coverage move in terms of power that hits a wide variety of Pokemon for powerful, super effective damage.
mr-rime.png

252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 680-804 (250.9 - 296.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 166-196 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 242-286 (74.9 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 314-370 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 280-330 (99.2 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Mr. Rime does have additional offensive movepool options. For example, Energy Ball or Grass Knot could be used instead of Thunderbolt to still reach the same damage thresholds against Barraskewda and Slowbro while also being able to hit Pokemon such as Swampert (although I've found that Thunderbolt is generally the better option). Likewise, Freeze-Dry instead of Ice Beam would be used to compress handling Water types into a single slot, potentially allowing you to use a more specific coverage or support move. Still, the power difference between Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry is an annoying trade-off. Additional coverage options include Dazzling Gleam (repetitive coverage, but does allow you to hit Dark types super effectively), Foul Play (will enable you to hit Mew, Victini, the Lati Twins, and Alakazam super effectively, but should only be used if you need help with those Pokemon), and Shadow Ball (repetitive coverage, but does allow you to hit Ghost types super effectively). Finally, Thunder is also an option over Thunderbolt if you're running Mr. Rime on a rain team for higher power, a notably increased chance to paralyze, and 100% accuracy.

Defensive Profile (Typing + Stats)

While Ice and Psychic defensively only give you resistance to Ice and Psychic-type attacks, that's not the beauty of Mr. Rime's defensive profile. To start, Mr. Rime has a critical neutrality to Fighting-type attacks that other Ice types would kill for, courtesy of its secondary Psychic typing. Second, Mr. Rime's defensive stats of 80 / 75 / 100 are solid (especially with proper EV investment), particularly its special bulk. (I'll go into specific defensive damage calculations once we start talking about individual sets, as the context of the calculations won't make sense without the set explanations). Third, movepool-wise, Mr. Rime's access to Slack Off means that defensive variants and overall sustainability are significantly heightened. Finally, Mr. Rime's typing means that several common archetypes within OU play to Mr. Rime's favor. For example, Mr. Rime functions well on and against Hail teams, as it is not passively worn down by Hail damage. In addition, Mr. Rime operates well on and against Rain teams, as not only does it eliminate Mr. Rime's Fire type weakness (allowing it to breathe more easily against Pokemon like Heatran, Volcanion, and Volcarona), but it allows Mr. Rime to utilize Thunder as a coverage option reliably.

It also works well under each set terrain from Rillaboom and the Tapus. Grassy Terrain gives Mr. Rime passive recovery, halves Earthquake's damage against its more squishy Physical defensive profile, and boosts the damage of two of Mr. Rime's more fringe coverage options by 30% (Energy Ball / Grass Knot). Electric Terrain prevents Mr. Rime from being put to sleep and boosts the power of Mr. Rime's very usable coverage options by 30% (Thunderbolt / Thunder). Misty Terrain gives Mr. Rime an immunity to status and halves damage from Dragon moves against it, allowing some unexpected potential switch-in opportunities. Finally, Psychic Terrain boosts Mr. Rime's STAB Psychic's power by an additional 30% and prevents Mr. Rime from being hit by priority moves (especially notable for priority moves that are super effective against Mr. Rime like Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch). Speaking of priority, Mr. Rime is one of the few Ice types that has a neutrality to Mach Punch, in addition to the already existing benefit of resisting priority Ice Shard. On top of this, Mr. Rime resists Future Sight, meaning that it's an excellent answer to Slowtwins Future Sight spam (along with being able to chunk Slowbro and Slowking with Thunderbolt).

Movesets

Scarf Screens Negator Mr. Rime
Dream_Choice_Scarf_Sprite.png

Mr. Rime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Screen Cleaner
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Trick
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin (I prefer Focus Blast)​

This is tied with the Assault Vest Spinner set as my favorite Mr. Rime set. With 176 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Mr. Rime reaches a respectable speed stat of 363, allowing it to outspeed base 60 Speed Timid Scarf users such as Magnezone and Tyranitar (both of which don't appreciate taking a Focus Blast). 363 Speed will also allow Mr. Rime to outspeed the majority of OU unboosted, with the exceptions of Weavile and Dragapult (who you don't want to keep or switch Mr. Rime in on anyways), Regieleki, Zeraora, and Timid Tornadus-Therian (Torn-T needs at least 212 EVs with a speed boosting nature, Modest/non-speed boosting nature variants are always outsped regardless of EV investment). The rest of the EVs are pumped into Special Attack, Special Defense, and a little bit into HP to reach specific defensive benchmarks. The specific Special Defense EV allotment also allows Mr. Rime to avoid being OHKO'd, and 2HKO'd by particular threats.

252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 242-288 (79.8 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 120-142 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 252-296 (83.1 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 135-159 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

Mr. Rime's role as a scarfer is unique because it's the only scarfer in OU that does not care about screens being up thanks to Screen Cleaner, meaning things are generally more squishy. The offensive combination of STAB Psychic, STAB Ice Beam, and Focus Blast is enough to hit most of OU super effectively. In addition, having Trick allows Mr. Rime to cripple an opposing threat once its usefulness as an offensive scarfer has run out. Mr. Rime utilizing a Timid nature does not affect its damage output too much, as it still gets most OHKOs and 2HKOs that the Modest variant gets (especially with a little bit of chip damage).

Assault Vest Spinner + Screens Negator Mr. Rime
1611933166679.png

Mr. Rime @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt / Focus Blast (I prefer Thunderbolt for this set)
- Psychic​

As I mentioned above, this set is tied with the Scarf set for my favorite Mr. Rime set. Do you want to know precisely how well Mr. Rime can take a hit on the Special side with an Assault Vest? Let's look at some calculations (first super effective STAB choice specs calculations for emphasis, then neutral attacks to bring the point home).

Super Effective STAB Choice Specs Hits:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 218-258 (60 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 288-338 (79.3 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 320-380 (88.1 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Neutral Hits:

0 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 86-101 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- 78.3% chance to 4HKO
+2 4 Def Mew Body Press vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 147-173 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 58-69 (15.9 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 177-208 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 55-66 (15.1 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime in Electric Terrain: 102-121 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 154-183 (42.4 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
168+ Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 98-116 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Mr. Rime has many switch-in opportunities and is one of the few Assault Vest Pokemon that can be used for utility thanks to Screen Cleaner and Rapid Spin (which also boosts Mr. Rime's speed, giving it an edge against specific defensive stalwarts). Thanks to the calculations above, you already know the power output with the Modest variant. This Mr. Rime variant especially appreciates Wish support to offset the lack of recovery and Stealth Rock damage. Still, given that, as shown from the damage calculations, Mr. Rime can easily take some special hits (and even physical in some cases), it's not as much of an issue as you would believe. Generally, this specific type of role compression is well suited for teams looking for a way to break Slowcores that also have problems with Special Attackers, who also want to condense handling screens and hazards into a single slot.

Heavy-Duty Boots Spinner + Screens Negator Mr. Rime

Mr. Rime @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Freeze-Dry
- Psychic​

This set compresses the longevity of Slack Off, the screen dismantling of Screen Cleaner, and the hazard cleaning of Rapid Spinning onto a single set. Rapid Spin's speed boost is even more relevant here thanks to the additional speed EVs, and this set ignores the problems of hazard damage with Heavy-Duty Boots. The loss of coverage can suck, but the potent offensive combination of STAB Ice Beam and STAB Psychic is not lacking. If you have an issue with water types such as Toxapex, or the Slowtwins, you can instead take a slight power cut to use Freeze-Dry, which is viable on this set in particular due to the lack of access to Thunderbolt. It's the most simple of the movesets, but it's also the most efficient and is more suited to a general blend of teams than the other two mentioned above are.

Great Partners:

Landorus-Therian helps cushion the blow against Mr. Rime's more vulnerable physical side thanks to Intimidate. Landorus-T's Ground / Flying typing has excellent synergy with Mr. Rime's Ice / Psychic typing. Landorus-T can also set up Rocks, cripple a Pokemon using Knock Off, and gain momentum with U-Turn. This combination of tools helps wear the opposing Pokemon down and bring them into Rime range. Not to mention powerful STAB Earthquakes work pretty well offensively, taking care of Fire, Rock, and Steel types that Mr. Rime (non-Focus Blast variants for the last two) would have issues handling.

Physically defensive Toxapex variants (especially with Rocky Helmet) are a fantastic partner to Mr. Rime. They punish physical attackers who would try to come in and prey on Mr. Rime's weaker physical defensive profile. Additionally, having access to Regenerator with Recover keeps Toxapex alive and has Scald to possibly cripple a physical attacker for the rest of the match.

While all of the Tapus make excellent partners, I want to specifically mention Tapu Lele because of the power boost it gives to Mr. Rime's STAB Psychic and the immunity Mr. Rime gains to priority moves. Additionally, utilizing Specs Lele with Scarf Rime is a potent combination that should be considered, as pairing the two allows for specific coverage options (like alternating Focus Blast or Thunderbolt) to be switched between the two of them for even more unpredictability, opening up room on each of their movesets for more specialized options.

Magnezone is another fantastic choice for a Mr. Rime partner, thanks to Magnezone's ability to trap Steel types. The combination is beneficial for playing mind games; as soon as Magnezone is shown in the team preview, your opponent will be more cautious about throwing their Melmetal out into the fray.

Conclusion

Mr. Rime is a uniquely quirky Pokemon with the qualities needed to make it work well in OU. Are there Pokemon that can do its team tasks better? Sure. Are there Pokemon who can compress its unique traits into one team slot while simultaneously exerting offensive pressure? Not likely. Mr. Rime won't fit onto every team archetype. Still, thanks to its vast movepool and very beneficial qualities both offensively and defensively, Mr. Rime is worth consideration as a unique, unexpected, and highly flexible option for your OU teams.

Thank you for reading, everyone!

Galarian-Mr-Rime.jpg

"I suppose that’s one of the ironies of life – doing the wrong thing at the right moment."
- Charlie Chaplin

Last edited:
I’m sorry but saying Darkfu, Zygarde, and fucking Mosa should’ve stayed in OU but then believes rocks are unhealthy in boots meta is rather questionable coming from a respectable top player.
Hello, I have been following this thread a little bit again, and I just wanted to say that I personally think this un-culture of putting down and discrediting others based on their takes (even if they´re hot takes) should stop. Eeveeto hasn´t been spamming the thread with opinions about a single subject like other posters have in the past, and has always remained respectful, and I personally think I have learned a lot from watching him talk about his building and playing habits, even if I don´t personally agree with his opinions and even though I have never exchanged a single word personally with him.

On the subject of Weavile, I agree that it isn´t as overbearing on the tier as it used to be, though for different reasons. Much of it corresponds in my humble opinion with the rise of Rain teams which can attempt to simply out-offense Weavile teams with their Swift Swimmers (especially Barraskewda), and other similar strategies of out-offensing standard offense have cropped up as well. I won´t say any more, as World cup qualifications are ongoing for my team, but I´m probably going to put some more of my observations on the metagame here, once it is over.

Last edited:
Hello, I have been following this thread a little bit again, and I just wanted to say that I personally think this un-culture of putting down and discrediting others based on their takes (even if they´re hot takes) should stop.
Respectfully, I sincerely doubt Greninja meant to come off as putting anyone down. Or discrediting anyone. It was more blunt surprise.

On the subject of Weavile, I agree that it isn´t as overbearing on the tier as it used to be, though for different reasons. Much of it corresponds in my humble opinion with the rise of Rain teams which can attempt to simply out-offense Weavile teams with their Swift Swimmers (especially Barraskewda), and other similar strategies of out-offensing standard offense have cropped up as well. I won´t say any more, as World cup qualifications are going on for my team, but I´m probably going to make a huge dump (of questionable quality) of teams, opinions and general observations on the metagame here once everything is over.
Certainly you can attempt to out offense teams using Weavile and it can work. Though I respectfully disagree that rain is on the rise in the metagame. Certainly it's more popular post kyurem but rain still isn't an amazing style right now. It's got a lot of inconsistency issues vs other teams and specific pokemon.

Mr. Rime

View attachment 425138

"Mr. Rime is highly skilled in tap dancing and waves its ice cane while it moves gracefully."

"Mala, for the sake of my sanity, please stop talking about PU and ZU Pokemon in Overused; I beg of you. You've been doing this for years; please get a hobby, so we don't have to read this crap." - Half of Smogon, probably, idk.

On a non-comedic note (or possibly still comedic, it's pretty funny to think about Mr. Rime having OU use), Mr. Rime has been one of my favorite Pokemon to slot on my OU teams for the last month. I've been using three specific sets (I will explain the functionality of each of the three), and they each fit onto specific team archetypes quite well. So why does Mr. Rime dance its way into the competition within OU's insane power crept landscape? Simple; a vast movepool with significant role compression alongside an excellent offensive typing and a stat combination that's deceptively flexible. First, I will talk about Mr. Rime's unique qualities; then, we'll jump into the three sets I have frequently used. While these three sets aren't the only sets of Mr. Rime's that I have tested, they are the only ones I have EXTENSIVELY tested and thus will be the only sets I will talk about here (I will give a special mention to Trick Room variants right here, but more testing needs to be done overall). Afterward, I'll talk about partners that I've been using for Mr. Rime, and the types of benefits that they bring to the table regarding team synergy and core builds.
View attachment 425139

Unique Qualities:

Screen Cleaner

This unique ability (exclusive to Mr. Rime and its pre-evolution) instantly removes Aurora Veil, Light Screen, and Reflect's effects upon switching in. This ability eases the burden of prediction against Screens / Veil teams, creating potential offensive openings for you and your team and giving Pokemon that wouldn't be able to muscle through screens-protected teams a chance to clean house. It also puts innate pressure on your opponent, who now has to rethink damage calculations and their team switch dynamics entirely.

Support Move Variety + Role Compression

Being able to dismantle Screens and Aurora Veil instantly is not Mr. Rime's only strength. Mr. Rime has access to reliable recovery in Slack Off, the ability to get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin, and the ability to cripple an opposing threat with Encore or Trick. In addition to these fantastic choices, Mr. Rime has access to additional support options such as Calm Mind, Fake Out, Foul Play, Nasty Plot, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Trick Room. If you desire, it can also set up its own screens as it has access to Light Screen and Reflect.

Offensive Profile + Output

Mr. Rime's offensive typing is fantastic in OU, with its Ice / Psychic STABS hitting the following OU staples super effectively: Buzzwole, Dragapult, Dragonite (4x), Garchomp (4x), Hawlucha, Landorus-Therian (4x), Rillaboom, Tornadus-Therian, Toxapex, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Zapdos-Galar. In addition, its two best coverage moves, Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, allow Mr. Rime to nail Barraskewda, Corviknight, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Volcanion (Thunderbolt) and Bisharp (4x), Ferrothorn, Heatran, Kartana, Magnezone, Melmetal, Tyranitar, and Weavile (Focus Blast) for super effective damage.

Mr. Rime's solid base 110 Special Attack with 252 EVs and a Modest nature reaches a respectable 350, which allows it to hit some crucial damage benchmarks with its STAB moves. Here are some specific examples:
View attachment 425139
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 476-564 (113.8 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 366-432 (115.4 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 386-456 (113.1 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian: 314-372 (86.7 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 212-252 (69.7 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 434-512 (127.2 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO​

In addition to this, Thunderbolt as a coverage option is robust, accurate, and hits some pretty impressive thresholds, even without STAB.
View attachment 425139
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Barraskewda: 332-392 (126.2 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 198-234 (49.6 - 58.6%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Volcanion: 208-246 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

Focus Blast is notoriously unreliable due to its accuracy. Still, it's an excellent coverage move in terms of power that hits a wide variety of Pokemon for powerful, super effective damage.
View attachment 425139
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 680-804 (250.9 - 296.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 166-196 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 242-286 (74.9 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 314-370 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mr. Rime Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 280-330 (99.2 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Mr. Rime does have additional offensive movepool options. For example, Energy Ball or Grass Knot could be used instead of Thunderbolt to still reach the same damage thresholds against Barraskewda and Slowbro while also being able to hit Pokemon such as Swampert (although I've found that Thunderbolt is generally the better option). Likewise, Freeze-Dry instead of Ice Beam would be used to compress handling Water types into a single slot, potentially allowing you to use a more specific coverage or support move. Still, the power difference between Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry is an annoying trade-off. Additional coverage options include Dazzling Gleam (repetitive coverage, but does allow you to hit Dark types super effectively), Foul Play (will enable you to hit Mew, Victini, the Lati Twins, and Alakazam super effectively, but should only be used if you need help with those Pokemon), and Shadow Ball (repetitive coverage, but does allow you to hit Ghost types super effectively). Finally, Thunder is also an option over Thunderbolt if you're running Mr. Rime on a rain team for higher power, a notably increased chance to paralyze, and 100% accuracy.

Defensive Profile (Typing + Stats)

While Ice and Psychic defensively only give you resistance to Ice and Psychic-type attacks, that's not the beauty of Mr. Rime's defensive profile. To start, Mr. Rime has a critical neutrality to Fighting-type attacks that other Ice types would kill for. Second, Mr. Rime's defensive stats of 80 / 75 / 100 are solid (especially with proper EV investment), particularly its special bulk. (I'll go into specific defensive damage calculations once we start talking about individual sets, as the context of the calculations won't make sense without the set explanations). Third, movepool-wise, Mr. Rime's access to Slack Off means that defensive variants and overall sustainability are significantly heightened. Finally, Mr. Rime's typing means that several common archetypes within OU play to Mr. Rime's favor. For example, Mr. Rime functions well on and against Hail teams, as it is not passively worn down by Hail damage. In addition, Mr. Rime operates well on and against Rain teams, as not only does it eliminate Mr. Rime's Fire type weakness (allowing it to breathe more easily against Pokemon like Heatran, Volcanion, and Volcarona), but it allows Mr. Rime to utilize Thunder as a coverage option reliably.

It also works well under each of the set terrains from Rillaboom and the Tapus. Grassy Terrain gives Mr. Rime passive recovery, halves Earthquake's damage against its more squishy Physical defensive profile, and boosts the damage of two of Mr. Rime's more fringe coverage options by 30% (Energy Ball / Grass Knot). Electric Terrain prevents Mr. Rime from being put to sleep and boosts the power of Mr. Rime's very usable coverage options by 30% (Thunderbolt / Thunder). Misty Terrain gives Mr. Rime an immunity to status and halves damage from Dragon moves against it, allowing some unexpected potential switch-in opportunities. Finally, Psychic Terrain boosts Mr. Rime's STAB Psychic's power by an additional 30% and prevents Mr. Rime from being hit by priority moves (especially notable for priority moves that are super effective against Mr. Rime like Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch). Speaking of priority, Mr. Rime is one of the few Ice types that has a neutrality to Mach Punch, in addition to the benefit of resisting priority Ice Shard. On top of this, Mr. Rime resists Future Sight, meaning that it's an excellent answer to Slowtwins Future Sight spam (along with being able to chunk Slowbro and Slowking with Thunderbolt).

Movesets

Scarf Screens Negator Mr. Rime
View attachment 425146
Mr. Rime @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Trick
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin (I prefer Focus Blast)​

This is tied with the Assault Vest Spinner set as my favorite Mr. Rime set. With 176 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Mr. Rime reaches a respectable speed stat of 363, allowing it to outspeed base 60 Speed Timid Scarf users such as Magnezone and Tyranitar (both of which don't appreciate taking a Focus Blast). 363 Speed will also allow Mr. Rime to outspeed the majority of OU unboosted, with the exceptions of Weavile and Dragapult (who you don't want to keep or switch Mr. Rime in on anyways), Regieleki, Zeraora, and Timid Tornadus-Therian (Torn-T needs at least 212 EVs with a speed boosting nature, Modest/non-speed boosting nature variants are always outsped regardless of EV investment). The rest of the EVs are pumped into Special Attack, Special Defense, and a little bit into HP to reach specific defensive benchmarks. The specific Special Defense EV allotment also allows Mr. Rime to avoid being OHKO'd, and 2HKO'd by particular threats.

252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 242-288 (79.8 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 120-142 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 252-296 (83.1 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 8 HP / 72 SpD Mr. Rime: 135-159 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

Mr. Rime's role as a scarfer is unique because it's the only scarfer in OU that does not care about screens being up thanks to Screen Cleaner, meaning things are generally more squishy. The offensive combination of STAB Psychic, STAB Ice Beam, and Focus Blast is enough to hit most of OU super effectively. In addition, having Trick allows Mr. Rime to cripple an opposing threat once its usefulness as an offensive scarfer has run out. Mr. Rime utilizing a Timid nature does not affect its damage output too much, as it still gets most OHKOs and 2HKOs that the Modest variant gets (especially with a little bit of chip damage).

Assault Vest Spinner + Screens Negator Mr. Rime
View attachment 425147
Mr. Rime @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt / Focus Blast (I prefer Thunderbolt for this set)
- Psychic​

As I mentioned above, this set is tied with the Scarf set for my favorite Mr. Rime set. Do you want to know precisely how well Mr. Rime can take a hit on the Special side with an Assault Vest? Let's look at some calculations (first super effective STAB choice specs calculations for emphasis, then neutral attacks to bring the point home).

Super Effective STAB Choice Specs Hits:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 218-258 (60 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 288-338 (79.3 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 320-380 (88.1 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Neutral Hits:

0 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 86-101 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- 78.3% chance to 4HKO
+2 4 Def Mew Body Press vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 147-173 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 58-69 (15.9 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 177-208 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 55-66 (15.1 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime in Electric Terrain: 102-121 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Mr. Rime: 154-183 (42.4 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
168+ Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 98-116 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Mr. Rime has many switch-in opportunities and is one of the few Assault Vest Pokemon that can be used for utility thanks to Screen Cleaner and Rapid Spin (which also boosts Mr. Rime's speed, giving it an edge against specific defensive stalwarts). Thanks to the calculations above, you already know the power output with the Modest variant. This Mr. Rime variant especially appreciates Wish support to offset the lack of recovery and Stealth Rock damage. Still, given that, as shown from the damage calculations, Mr. Rime can easily take some special hits (and even physical in some cases), it's not as much of an issue as you would believe. Generally, this specific type of role compression is well suited for teams looking for a way to break Slowcores that also have problems with Special Attackers, who also want to condense handling screens and hazards into a single slot.

Heavy-Duty Boots Spinner + Screens Negator Mr. Rime

Mr. Rime @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Freeze-Dry
- Psychic​

This set compresses the longevity of Slack Off, the screen dismantling of Screen Cleaner, and the hazard cleaning of Rapid Spinning onto a single set. Rapid Spin's speed boost is even more relevant here thanks to the additional speed EVs, and this set ignores the problems of hazard damage with Heavy-Duty Boots. The loss of coverage can suck, but the potent offensive combination of STAB Ice Beam and STAB Psychic is not lacking. If you have an issue with water types such as Toxapex, or the Slowtwins, you can instead take a slight power cut to use Freeze-Dry, which is viable on this set in particular due to the lack of access to Thunderbolt. It's the most simple of the movesets, but it's also the most efficient and is more suited to a general blend of teams than the other two mentioned above are.

Great Partners:

Landorus-Therian helps cushion the blow against Mr. Rime's more vulnerable physical side thanks to Intimidate. Landorus-T's Ground / Flying typing has excellent synergy with Mr. Rime's Ice / Psychic typing. Landorus-T can also set up Rocks, cripple a Pokemon using Knock Off, and gain momentum with U-Turn. This combination of tools helps wear the opposing Pokemon down and bring them into Rime range. Not to mention powerful STAB Earthquakes work pretty well offensively, taking care of Fire, Rock, and Steel types that Mr. Rime (non-Focus Blast variants for the last two) would have issues handling.

Physically defensive Toxapex variants (especially with Rocky Helmet) are a fantastic partner to Mr. Rime. They punish physical attackers who would try to come in and prey on Mr. Rime's weaker physical defensive profile. Additionally, having access to Regenerator with Recover keeps Toxapex alive and has Scald to possibly cripple a physical attacker for the rest of the match.

While all of the Tapus make excellent partners, I want to specifically mention Tapu Lele because of the power boost it gives to Mr. Rime's STAB Psychic and the immunity Mr. Rime gains to priority moves. Additionally, utilizing Specs Lele with Scarf Rime is a potent combination that should be considered, as pairing the two allows for specific coverage options (like alternating Focus Blast or Thunderbolt) to be switched between the two of them for even more unpredictability, opening up room on each of their movesets for more specialized options.

Magnezone is another fantastic choice for a Mr. Rime partner, thanks to Magnezone's ability to trap Steel types. The combination is beneficial for playing mind games; as soon as Magnezone is shown in the team preview, your opponent will be far more cautious about throwing their Melmetal out into the fray.

Conclusion

Mr. Rime is a uniquely quirky Pokemon with the qualities needed to make it work well in OU. Are there Pokemon that can do its team tasks better? Sure. Are there Pokemon who can compress its unique traits into one team slot while simultaneously exerting offensive pressure? Not likely. Mr. Rime won't fit onto every team archetype. Still, thanks to its vast movepool and very beneficial qualities both offensively and defensively, Mr. Rime is worth consideration as a unique, unexpected, and highly flexible option for your OU teams.

Thank you for reading, everyone!

View attachment 425145

"I suppose that’s one of the ironies of life – doing the wrong thing at the right moment."
- Charlie Chaplin
Do you have any replays of Mr. Rime in action?

Again I will bring up something I've talked about before.
Being in support of a suspect test does not mean you want it banned on the spot.

I am in full support of a Weavile suspect test not because I want it banned asap, but because a suspect would throw all the attention on Weavile and give people a true chance to either find counterplay, or even flesh out Weavile even more to justify a ban. Weavile tiptoes the line as not only is it almost unwallable like Lele, but its speed tier is bonkers. If Weavile had Lele's speed tier this wouldn't even be a discussion as things like Kart, Blaceph, the Lati twins, Alotales, and Volcarona would all become an instant issue for Weavile, but because it outspeeds all of them it can Triple Axel Kart and the Latis, Knock the Latis, and Blaceph, and CB Beat up can blast through Volcarona and Alotales without them being able to respond without a scarf.

If it was JUST SD HDB Weavile I think it would be a beautiful A+ tier threat, but the problem is CB Beat Up. If Weavile gets in while all 6 pokemon are alive on their side, you just lose. Its a no-contact move so Ferrothorn becomes irrelevant, and the speed tier is so overwhelming that only things like Koko can truly fight against CB Weavile, but all Weavile needs to do is Beat Up Koko once on the swap, then the next time Koko can't swap in so something needs to be sacked. It's an absolutely ridiculous set thats really powerful.

The immense power, incredible offensive typing and 2 different sets that are both incredible viable makes Weavile hard to teambuild around and I think it deserves to be suspected.
Beat Up is a situationally useful move that has diminishing returns as the battle progresses. You don't even need to knock out the opponent's Pokemon to make the move less powerful; you can just status members of their team with a random Toxic or T-Wave and Weavile's Beat Up damage output is diminished. As such, Beat Up is probably most useful early on in the match, when status conditions and entry hazards aren't set up and at that point, the opponent facing Weavile does have more options at play to counteract Weavile since their checks haven't been worn down yet. I definitely think Icicle Crash is the better move on band sets since it is also contact-less, has consistent damage, and the 30% flinch rate can swing more fringe match-ups into Weavile's favor, like against Ferrothorn.

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
I feel as though the discussion on Weavile has gone on for too long, as pretty much everything relevant about it has been said. The council, at least a couple of them if i'm not mistaken (and correct me if i'm wrong) have made it clear that they do not intend to suspect it in the near future, and honestly it gets kinda tiring to read the same 4-5 people argue about the topic. I've already stated my opinion on Weavile (in short words I don't think a suspect is in order) but it'd be cool to see discussion about a diff mon or trend. For instance what y'all think about Zeraora, despite hating Lando-T that speed tier is unmatched and I'd like to know what sets people like running on Zera nowadays.

I feel as though the discussion on Weavile has gone on for too long, as pretty much everything relevant about it has been said. The council, at least a couple of them if i'm not mistaken (and correct me if i'm wrong) have made it clear that they do not intend to suspect it in the near future, and honestly it gets kinda tiring to read the same 4-5 people argue about the topic. I've already stated my opinion on Weavile (in short words I don't think a suspect is in order) but it'd be cool to see discussion about a diff mon or trend. For instance what y'all think about Zeraora, despite hating Lando-T that speed tier is unmatched and I'd like to know what sets people like running on Zera nowadays.
Zeraora is my favorite electric type in the tier right now thanks to its power and speed. As for sets, I mainly use a standard BU set, but my favorite set has to be a CB toxic set
:sm/zeraora:
Gigawatt (Zeraora) @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Toxic
Toxic here is to punish most of zeraora's switchins such as the grounds and buzzwole.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
For instance what y'all think about Zeraora, despite hating Lando-T that speed tier is unmatched and I'd like to know what sets people like running on Zera nowadays.
I'm with RedDiamond on this one about it being a good electric type. I prefer it over Koko because Koko gets walled by a very annoying durian while Zera does not. Bulk up sets can be very good wincons especially since from full, Zeraora can survive scarf Kartana or Lele's attacks. Landorus isn't even a big issue for Zeraora since it is usually paired with mons that pressure Landorus like aqua tail Garchomp or eruption Heatran, Although I think that the bigger problem for it are Garchomp and Buzzwall. It's never gonna get past Buzz while utiltiy Chompers will two shot you with earthquake if you have +1 def or straight up kill you if you have no boosts

At this point though, I think Zeraora really only has two sets, band and bulk up. Toxic can be good but the other moves on its sets are nearly mandatory

I have no gripes with that, a change in pace would be nice and it is kinda tiring for the conversation to continue so long. Though, I do want to correct that they had no intention of suspect testing it unless the opinion on Weavile shifted, and in the last few months we've seen a lot of discussion and a lot of evidence on whether it has been banworthy or not. It may or may not be in the relative future for that reason (bar metagame analysis and polls, plus vr update), but that's all I have to say.

I cannot respond at length as I am busy today and I am sorry for this, but I don’t think every team needs to have hard counterplay to everything and having a wide variety of very good Pokemon rather than you can check or minimize is just the sign of a more proactive tier, which we are experiencing right now, rather than a tier in need of bans.

Of course, I get that some people think things are broken. Weavile can be a bit silly with Beat Up and Triple Axel, Heatean is very hard to handle with Magma Storm and it’s other tools, many people find Dragapult overbearing, etc. — I am happy to act if appropriate, but I do not think we need to force anything and I don’t think we are there yet
Personally I’m happy to look into Weavile as a future suspect and even open to a discussion on boots (although I find action to be unlikely unless there’s a major shift in public perception). We are actually going to have a survey in the coming weeks to discuss these topics before WCOP and ST Playoffs, too, so keep your eyes open to that. If there is support, I will gladly act quickly.
As shown in the quotes above from Finchinator , the last time we saw discussion from a council member was a month ago which to be fair wasn't that short a while ago. And since that time I myself have changed my stance on weavile , previously thinking it didn't deserve a suspect test but now I do.

And finch said with enough support he be glad to act "quickly " and there will be another survey soon. And to be completely fair the generation will be ending soon so it's actually best to have a suspect sooner than later. A look at weavile and quick claw /quick draw would be nice.

That said , I find bulk up zeroara to be my favorite set to run on it and I personally don't see the need for volt switch or grass knot in that fourth slot at that moment. With a bulk up you become pretty resilient to priority and zerora is the fastest mon in ou unboosted sans regieleki which you beat anyway so it can snowball late game pretty easily after lando has been worn down over the course of a game after you knock off its leftiez.

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
I've been running an electricspam team with it and regieleki, and it's honestly really fun. I rrun it alongside SD LO Aqua Tail Garchomp (lures and destroys grounds) and TA mew (can OHKO lando or tankchomp turn 1 if it leads against it, also running colbur CC to kill weavile.)I
Its a really fun team and it works pretty well. Electricspam is a super good archetype in a meta where most teams only run 1 electric immune that's really easy to lure.

(mew set if you're curious:
Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

It puts grounds in range of a zera knock off or even a regieleki espeed
220 Atk Mew Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 136 Def Garchomp: 396-468 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- approx. 81.3% chance to OHKO
-1 220 Atk Mew Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 324-384 (84.8 - 100.5%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO)

Last edited:
Electric spam does seem very viable right now, there just aren’t that many good electric immunities in OU, and none the viable ones have reliable recovery. Regieleki generates so much pressure just by existing, and Koko provides so much utility + electric terrain for more pressure on the other team. Overall I think it’s a playstyle that should be explored more in depth, but what do y’all think?

Electric spam does seem very viable right now, there just aren’t that many good electric immunities in OU, and none the viable ones have reliable recovery. Regieleki generates so much pressure just by existing, and Koko provides so much utility + electric terrain for more pressure on the other team. Overall I think it’s a playstyle that should be explored more in depth, but what do y’all think?
Electric spam is very immediately threatening, and the pressure it puts on electric immunities or resists is both a tool for the opponent's counterplay and your own strategy to threaten the few good defensive ground types. If I see a garchomp paired with Eleki, Koko, or Zeraora I do tend to immediately be wary of the possibility of it having aqua tail, but sometimes it's hard not to want to switch Lando into something like Chomp because of the 50/50 that creates, since you might just get murked by an Earthquake. When I use Nidoking I basically need Lando anyway so I'm not as worried in those kinds of teams (though Nidoking's frailty is its biggest flaw I think).

Though not the most "electric" of the electrics, offensive Zapdos (boots or specs, pick your poison really) is something that I've been seeing great success with as well (and am also scared sh!tless of in team preview lol). It's been talked about quite a bit recently but I think it also pairs really well with other electrics since I tend to just see KokoEleki. I love it as a volt switcher because grounds really do not want to risk switching into a hurricane and in rain there's the obvious threat of weather ball, too. Zeraora wouldn't be too scared of it but it doesn't like taking its neutral hits at all.

With a lot of teams relying on Lando to blanket check special attacks there's a big opening for the things that pressure it or it has trouble switching into, since the current special tanks I feel have some issues fitting into my teamslots? Does anyone else have that problem? Dealing with strong special attacks makes it hard for me to want to use balance a lot and I've been gravitating towards trying to just out-offense since I also find that trying to play the long game with rain is really irritating lol

Last edited:
As far as monotype duo cores, I think electric is about mid tier. The sheer prevalence of having a ground type almost required in your team construction, and the amount of decent Special tanks I think does a good job keeping the relatively frail offensive electric types in check. If you go Regi+Koko for example, you can't switch them into most attacks in the tier, so you really need to construct the rest of the team around finding ways to get them in, and resolving their issues with ground types and the special tanks. I haven't played electric spam, but at least on paper, I'd feel like my match-ups are better covered by going a fast+tanky pair (like pivot koko+rising voltage magnezone), or mix up the offenses (such as pivot zeraora+discharge zapdos). Looking at what cores like that need to sweep, I think either a lure or trapper would help a lot with the ground types, such as a whirlpool trapper or shuca bait.

On the topic of monotype duo cores go, we've seen a few different ones pop up over the course of gen 8, and I'd be curious to see what typings people have found more viable or less, perhaps even a loose ranking. Ghost spam has arisen a bit as of late, but with the rise of weavile and the continued existence of special sponges like blissey, these frail cores need a lot in their team building consideration. Grass spam was once fairly common with kartana+rillaboom being a ladder classic, but with the falling off rillaboom and the skies full of birds this seems to have become much less popular. Psychic Spam with Tapu Lele and Slowbro/Alakazam hits a lot of the tier hard, and if they can answer or overwhelm the dark, steel, and special spongers it feels quite powerful still. Rain teams and fire teams both respectively represent the most commonly seen duo water and duo fire cores, and have remained a mainstay in the tier despite varying usage. Yet these typings still have a lot of viability outside of weather. A water core of urshifu and slowbro allows you to run a double pivot combination as well as steady breaking potential with future sight and urshifu forcing switches while checking dark types that would seek to absorb future sight. A fire combination of blacephalon and heatran/volcanion has felt very strong in some of my testing, the first two can pack a huge array of options that make it hard for teams to be fully prepared for them, and their strong stab combinations can punch wholes through a lot of teams. Hail and Sand albeit less popular at the moment it seems are the last two I could immediately think to touch on (outside of duo steel types, but those tend to use the typing more than they use it for move selection). Hail relies a lot on aurora veil, but seems to struggle in a lot of common match ups. Sand is interesting, because the two main sand setters in Tyranitar and Hippodown are both good outside of weather strategies, and sand represents ground, rock, and steel duo cores potentially. Despite this sand teams like Hail struggle in a lot of common match ups and because of how prepared teams typically are to deal with ground typing they need to be exceedingly careful with how they switch.
EDIT:
With a lot of teams relying on Lando to blanket check special attacks there's a big opening for the things that pressure it or it has trouble switching into, since the current special tanks I feel have some issues fitting into my teamslots? Does anyone else have that problem? Dealing with strong special attacks makes it hard for me to want to use balance a lot and I've been gravitating towards trying to just out-offense since I also find that trying to play the long game with rain is really irritating lol
Because of Lando not resisting the very common and strong water, fire, ghost, fairy, or psychic attacks commonly run into, I can never justify using him as my sole Special check. Without recovery on him it's very difficult to manage teams with multiple special hitters without making sacs and going for revenge kills. Even just a fairly common pairing of Lele+Tran is more than enough to overwhelm Lando after just two switches. I feel pretty similar in that it just feels better to try and out offense teams, overwhelming their checks, and trying to play less attrition. I'm actually surprised with the increase in spdef lando Rain hasn't seen a big jump in usage. Most of the time I'm so deterred from wanting to swap lando in to sponge attacks because it really limits the long term utility, and he is needed to check so many things.

Last edited:
So moving on from Weav discussion. I want to highlight a previous gen staple who has been in the shadows for most of Sword and Shield since Crown Tundra. It is a mon that I believe can make a comeback. The hairy Regen pivot ofc is Tangrowth.

C6700F74-D400-4A29-B338-1155C9CAF677.gif

What does Tangrowth Do and Why it fell?
Tang is an incredibly physically defensive Regen pivot known for checking Urshifu/Kart/Chomp/Zera/Ferro all while providing utility in Knock Off, Sleep Powder, and/or Stun Spore. Add to the fact that Tang could also pack coverage in EQ, F-Blast, and even Sludge Bomb making it awkward to switch into safely. With these good qualities in mind, why did it fall in the meta? It is simple, competition.

FBA060AB-5781-4840-9844-F850E3C68B95.gif
B69FF7BB-D347-4BEB-A666-DD0C7F827A33.gif
One of the main problems with Tang and the reason these two outclass it is due to its inconsistency in checking the mons it is tasked with facing. Relying on Focus Miss to check Kart and the 75% acc Sleep Powder on top of sleep turns to check Chomp. This is not the case for these two. Bro can either teleport into something that can rkill Chomp like Weavile or Scald burn/Ice Beam it. Buzz can outright beat Kart/Chomp on it’s own while also being difficult to switch into for certain team structures. It is also worth mentioning that while it completely walls Ferro, it doesn’t stop it from setting up three layers of spikes on its face. This is also considering how Ferro started running PhysD after the Kyu ban for Weav and it becomes even harder to fit on teams.

So we know that in Gen 8 Tangrowth only runs PhysD, however in Gens 6 and 7 it ran AV (especially in Gen 7 where it was it’s best set). Basically what I’m saying is that we should bring back AV. First, let me explain what does AV Tang do and how could it help the metagame?

AV Tang and how it could save SS OU

6786E777-00ED-40F5-B863-EC4A0607C0EB.gif

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake/Infestation​

Even with Tang’s meddling 50 SpD, AV was utilized to take one some big name special attackers while having the natural physical bulk to still be a capable physical wall. Back in USUM it was a check to threats such as Ash-Gren, Koko, Gliscor, AV Magearna, and M-Zam. However, as you might notice, none of them aside from Koko are in Gen 8 (or in Magearna’s case, too broken for OU now). So does this mean AV Tang is long gone and a relic of older gens? No.

I recently talked about an issue that has been on-going in SS OU where the tier is too mu fishy. Teams have a problem playing around Lele, Pult n’ friends because it is difficult to do that while dealing with Weavile. There are also other, smaller issues like Fini and rain for some teams. What if there was a mon that

-Can pivot into the likes of Koko/Lele/Pult

-Can check NP Washtom

-Beat all Fini variants

-Can check most rain threats

-Soft-check Chomp

-Check SD Kart and BU Zera

-Knock items off

All of this while remaining healthy with Regenerator? Enter AV Tang. A mon that can act as a safety net to help Balance and even BO handle the merit of threats that the tier has a difficult time switching into. Think of this. You have a Heatran and a Weavile. Your up against Weavile/Lele. The Tran not only risks being one hit with one Focus Miss to oblivion, but even Psychic chunks Tran p hard. Meaning it won’t be healthy enough to take on Weavile. This also applies to Pult/Lele. With AV Tang alongside Tran, you can pivot into one or two hits from Lele and then bring in something like Weavile if they click Psychic or Tran if they click Moonblast. This way Tran’s Hp will be preserved enough to be able to take on Pult/Weavile later on. Even without Dfse investment, it can still pivot into Urshifu, Kart, and a few other major physical attacker in the tier.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 118-141 (29.2 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 178-210 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 198-234 (49.1 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and trapping damage

0 Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Tapu Fini: 176-210 (51.3 - 61.2%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 76-91 (18.8 - 22.5%) -- 1.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth in Psychic Terrain: 210-247 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 169-199 (41.9 - 49.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth in Psychic Terrain: 207-244 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 254-300 (63 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 289-341 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (4 hits) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 268-324 (66.5 - 80.3%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 204-240 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just to list out its pros and cons

Pros
• Regenerator and Knock Off
• Can pivot into both Lele and Dragapult
• Is a long-term answer to Fini
• Can live a hit from Tran and Zapdos, then proceed to cripple them with Knock and/or EQ
• Infestation is an option to gain momentum and chip down/trap certain mons

Cons
• Dislikes Knock Off
• Still an inconsistent SD Kart check
• Can struggle vs fat
• Running Tang means not running Ferrothorn

Good Partners include
• Heatran
• Slowbro
• Toxapex
• CM Glowking
• Rotom-Wash
• Landorus
• Corviknight
• Tyranitar
• Gastrodon

Overall, I feel like AV Tangrowth should be explored more. It can help play around some of the more troublesome threats while providing utility in Knock Off. Quite surprised this set didn’t come into consideration despite it being used since AV’s introduction. If you want to try it out yourself, here is a team I made that makes full use of it.

https://pokepast.es/8c7248fc5c316491

I think knock off and toxic being on so many sets is another reason why it saw a decline, possibly equal to the impact the slow trio and buzzwole had on it. The AV set especially relies on it to long-term check the special threats because of its innate low SpDef. The stats all those mons have are just much better to work with when knocked off and hard a bit harder to overwhelm in that inevitability. I don't think it's bad, and I agree that Tangrowth still has much to offer, but you definitely want to pair it with a mon that cares much less about getting knocked like Pex or Torn, ironically giving you a fairly decent regenerator core. Corv, the Slows, and Buzz ironically all seem like decent partners that can help cover the other end of the defensive spectrum while being alright at absorbing knock offs.

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
As far as monotype duo cores, I think electric is about mid tier.
I do not agree with this. The electric immunities in the tier currently are extremely lacking. Neither lando nor chomp have any reliable recovery, and can be lured easily enough. They get chipped so much during a game that even though an electric resist is near mandatory on teams, usually most teams only run one or run something that barely counts as an electric immune like zeraora. Lando is extremely easily lured by something like Aqua Tail SD chomp or any random ice move, and that can immediately put it in range for something like a koko dgleam or zeraora knock off.
Electricspam might notbe the BEST "spam" archetype, but it's definitely in the lower top tiers of viable archetypes.
Right now I've also been playing around with psychic spam (https://pokepast.es/41b62c1adf7565b5) and I'vebeen doing super well. Psychic spam is a super strong archetype especially with spikes, and since almost every psychic resist gets slammed by fighting or dark/ghost coverage, everything gets slammed.

Weighing in on the electric spam bit, something that isn't talked about enough is how good the type is right now offensively. People often lament how OU is lacking in splashable sturdy ghost resists (and it's true), but something that is similarly lacking in defensive checks are electrics. As was stated above me, both Garchomp and Lando lack recovery and are very prone to being overwhelmed if relied on to be a team's main electric immunity.

OU is sorely lacking in sturdy switch-ins for electrics, with Hippo falling off, and people are realizing how important it is to manage your ground immunities so they can be around to check them. Losing that immunity makes it much harder to check these electrics long term.

I do not agree with this. The electric immunities in the tier currently are extremely lacking. Neither lando nor chomp have any reliable recovery, and can be lured easily enough. They get chipped so much during a game that even though an electric resist is near mandatory on teams, usually most teams only run one or run something that barely counts as an electric immune like zeraora. Lando is extremely easily lured by something like Aqua Tail SD chomp or any random ice move, and that can immediately put it in range for something like a koko dgleam or zeraora knock off.
Electricspam might notbe the BEST "spam" archetype, but it's definitely in the lower top tiers of viable archetypes.
Right now I've also been playing around with psychic spam (https://pokepast.es/41b62c1adf7565b5) and I'vebeen doing super well. Psychic spam is a super strong archetype especially with spikes, and since almost every psychic resist gets slammed by fighting or dark/ghost coverage, everything gets slammed.
Shardless Weavile, that's a new one-- unfortunately, it opens more problems for the team than it solves. Weavile on Psyspam are usually running Ice Shard anyways as the emergency button for Dragon-types like Garchomp, Dragonite, and Dragapult which can otherwise get out of hand quickly for cores that don't already have another solid check to them. There are a couple other problems too, like the lack of Stealth Rocks and the weakness stacking with Dragonite + Landorus knowing these building issues. You're also lacking a lot of momentum, something necessary for the archetype, and a better sequence of checks to answer CM Clef. I'm not saying you haven't had some success with it, but that team has a lot of holes.

For once I think Xeno isn't a little crazy. You have to remember that Mono-Electric offense is already competing with other type stacking like Rain, Hail, Ghost-type spam, Steel-type stacking, Grass-type spam, Dragon-type spam (DragMag), Psyspam, and a few others. It would certainly be higher than some realistically, but I think putting it much higher is bloating it, at least on paper. I understand that the Electric immunities in the tier aren't perfectly solid against stuff like Eleki, Zeraora, Koko, Zapdos, Raichu-A, and Magnezone all the time, but they are more reliable than given credit for. Stuff like Landorus or Garchomp, commonly, are ubiquitous in the teambuilder and remain relatively consistent despite how generally overwhelmed they are in the structure of a team. They aren't always to easy to bait or remove either, due to support from Electric-type resistances like Slowking-G, Buzzwole, opposing Electric-types, etc.. You might generally be clued in as to what they might have if you see several Electric-types from the preview as well, which makes some lures less effective. Somewhat nontraditional team structures can even forego Electric-type immunities (solid ones, anyways) and run a team full of resists and still be consistent against Mono-Electric cores too.

Of course it still boils down to how you handle your checks and counters, but for the reasons above I don't think of it too highly (not to mention the teambuilding troubles with stacking Electric-types over other reliable slots that can make teams dedicated to the Elec spam MU fishy in general).

Weighing in on the electric spam bit, something that isn't talked about enough is how good the type is right now offensively. People often lament how OU is lacking in splashable sturdy ghost resists (and it's true), but something that is similarly lacking in defensive checks are electrics. As was stated above me, both Garchomp and Lando lack recovery and are very prone to being overwhelmed if relied on to be a team's main electric immunity.

OU is sorely lacking in sturdy switch-ins for electrics, with Hippo falling off, and people are realizing how important it is to manage your ground immunities so they can be around to check them. Losing that immunity makes it much harder to check these electrics long term.
I will refer to what I've said above, but it's also worth noting that recent trends have injured the viability of many Electric resistances in OU which contributes to why this might seemingly be the case.

Last edited:

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
Shardless Weavile, that's a new one-- unfortunately, it opens more problems for the team than it solves. Weavile on Psyspam are usually running Ice Shard anyways as the emergency button for Dragon-types like Garchomp, Dragonite, and Dragapult which can otherwise get out of hand quickly for cores that don't already have another solid check to them. There are a couple other problems too, like the lack of Stealth Rocks and the weakness stacking with Dragonite + Landorus knowing these building issues. You're also lacking a lot of momentum, something necessary for the archetype, and a better sequence of checks to answer CM Clef. I'm not saying you haven't had some success with it, but that team has a lot of holes.
Thats not the team i was actually using
that was the one i was forced by my friend to use lol
there's a different team i'm actualyl using on the ladder, i was mentioning that paste as an example of what kind of team a zam would go onto
(its a terrible team and it made me lose like 400 elo.)

My thoughts about Electricspam are from my experiences on the ladder. I'm a high mid ladder player (~1690 elo normally) and i was basing my post off of my experiences. Electricspam is a little bit matchup fishy especially in tournament games were you're playing against actually good players; but on ladder I've done pretty well. I got a new peak running an electricspam team (1786!)

I'm not the best player so take really anything I say with a grain of salt, but what i say comes from my experience using espam on the ladder

Last edited:
I'm using bulk up zeraora but I don't have access to knock off on it. Assuming that knock off is not an option what is the next best thing when the other moves are plasma fist and close combat?

I'm using bulk up zeraora but I don't have access to knock off on it. Assuming that knock off is not an option what is the next best thing when the other moves are plasma fist and close combat?
I'm confused, are you referring to in-game? Knock Off is integral to Zeraora, seeing as it allows it to clip a lot of really important stuff and removing some longevity from Ground-types like Garchomp and Landorus. If you don't have that and you intend on playing competitively with it somehow, I recommend just dropping it altogether. There are ways for it to learn Knock Off, the first being a transfer from SM / USUM to SWSH, and the second being the DLC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)