1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Standards for Grammar / Spelling, What a Good Writer Looks out for

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Jumpman16, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stellar

Stellar true and everlasting
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

It has been used in essentially "every" analysis we have. I was just hoping to change that in the future!
  2. Flashstorm1

Flashstorm1
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but should dual screens (Reflect + Light Screen) be written as is, or "Dual Screens" instead?

Also, I've had different people either capitalize the "b" in bulky when referring to a type, such as a bulky Water-type, or leave it as is. Should the "b" be capitalized when referring to a specific type?
  3. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

neither should be capitalized.
  4. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

Here's a question:

EVed or EV'd? Should you use either one?
  5. Stellar

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

EVed is preferred.
  6. Great Sage

Great Sage

"Outspeed" is fine with me; even though it technically isn't a word, it's ubiquitous in the analyses and within the community at large. It's essentially technical jargon.
  7. Xia

Xia aka Lone Gansel
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Though not technically grammar, I figured here would be the best place to post my question.

When listing EVs of a Pokemon, should the final count add up to 508, 510, just until ythe necessary EVs are in place, or does it not matter?
  8. Stellar

Orange Islands

It doesn't really matter, but generally we tend to make the EVs add up to 508 (the EVs for each stat are divisible by four).
  9. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

I've seen this pop up in a couple of analyses and it drives me nuts for some reason when I see it so I thought I'd bring it up here:

moreso

Is this a word to you or not? The Oxford English Dictionary recognizes it, but Webster does not. (though I think Oxford merely recognizes its U.S. usage) It's more widely accepted as two words (more so) and I'm more comfortable with writing it that way. What do you think?
  10. Stellar

Orange Islands

I would rather it be written as two words.

EDIT: darkie sucks
  11. darkie

is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I've always used it as one word.
  12. Stellar

Orange Islands

I updated the OP with the various issues that have been brought up in the thread since the last update.
  13. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

For Little Cup analysis and guides we have tended to use "Little Cup" rather than "LC", which to some extent goes against the standard of abbreviating tiers (OU, UU, BL, ect). While LC was largely unknown this made more sense (avoided a lot of people going "what's LC?"), but these days most people have at least heard of it.

The question is, should Little Cup be shortened to LC in the same way Over Used is shortened to OU when writing material for the site?
  14. Eo Ut Mortus

Eo Ut Mortus Elodin Smells
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Set-up, set up, or setup? I've seen it used all three ways in various analyses.
  15. diinbong

diinbong *it's in you to give*
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

lol! I thought about this a while ago but outspeed is so widely used that it's fine.

Also Eo, http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammartips/grammar-tip-setup-set-up.asp. You might want to add this to the rules (regarding setup, set up, set-up). I've personally always corrected it when I've seen it.
  16. RCrayons

RCrayons

EVs or evs?
    I'm looking at sets and one seems to stick to evs, is this correct or should it be capital since it's an abbreviation?
  17. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

setup is a noun. As in : computer setup.

If you're talking about set up as in "using curse against an opponent, while he can't do jack to you back, and has to switch, allowing you to get a free stat up," i think it should be set up.
  18. Erodent

Erodent

I believe it's actually "EVs"; "evs" is simply for the on-site HTMLization process.
  19. Xia

Xia aka Lone Gansel
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Wall breaking/wall breaker or wallbreaking/wallbreaker? I'd rather it be consistant throughout the guide, but mtr and I use different styles.
  20. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I would go with Wall Breaking. Seriously, wallbreaking looks so wrong, combining two nouns together like that.
  21. darkie

Public Relations

have you never heard of compound words?
  22. Xia

Xia aka Lone Gansel
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I was actually hoping for a response from a mod, sorry Eradd.

@darkie: Should I take that as a vote for wallbreaker?
  23. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Why? I would prefer OHKOs in all cases.

Moreover, do we have any proof that it's spelled Ho-Oh and not Ho-oh? In my post a while back, I claimed it's Ho-oh, but the first post says it's Ho-Oh. I would like confirmation on this.

I disagree. It would be preferable to use the em dash (—) with spaces. You use it to set something off from the rest of the sentence. Surrounding an em dash with spaces accomplishes that goal. Leaving out the spaces makes it look more like you're trying to connect it stronger than spaces would otherwise imply, which is the exact opposite of your goal.
  24. Arseus

Arseus
    refuses to accept Contributor

mingot and I had a discussion upon the term we should use to describe the new section of the site, and we have reached a consensus on "In-Game" to refer to the things that transpire within the cartridges. For a rationale, one may look at various instances of "In-Depth", where the "d" is capitalized, as opposed to reading "In-depth". It also stems from the fact that most users and writers would casually refer to things as being in-game, as opposed to the fictional word "ingame". If anyone has any objections, please say so, but these are the conclusions that mingot and I have reached.
  25. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, I've done a quick bit of research into a few areas to try and get the 'correct' answer in regards to the Pokémon 'HO-OH'. I've always used (and believed) it was 'Ho-oh' and not 'Ho-Oh', but that doesn't mean I was right, or wrong, for that matter.

My first idea was to look at how it's done in-game, but then I remembered that every Pokémon in-game is in all capital letters, so that got me nowhere. This is the case for every Pokémon, whether it's in an Item description, the PokéDex, mentioned by an in-game character, or something else. Do we really want to have to type every Pokémon's name out in capital letters for every article on Smogon? I don't think so.

Next, I took a look at some of the episode listings from the animé. This was also somewhat inconclusive, as whoever updated it on Wikipedia used 'Ho-Oh', while Serebii.net used 'Ho-oh'. HO-OH has appeared in only one episode title, 'For Ho-oh the bells toll'. Since I found one saying each of the current options, I can't be sure which is going to be right. Maybe if someone can find the official video or DVD release of this episode and take a look at the cover to see how it is on there. This is getting a bit obsessive for something so small.. but I'll keep typing anyway (lol).

The only other Pokémon with a '-' dash in its name is Porygon-Z. Every site I've read Porygon-Z's name on uses a capital 'Z', but we can't be 100% sure if that's right anyway, as it comes under the same situation as HO-OH really. But even then, that could just be because Porygon-Z only has one letter after the dash, not two or more.

In regards to typing, it's always '-type', for example: 'Fire-type' with the latter word, which is more than a single letter long, being in all lower case. However, when we look at moves, the only move to follow this suit is U-turn. Every other move in the game with a dash uses a capital letter, as follows: Double-Edge, Lock-On, Mud-Slap. Sand-Attack, Wake-Up Slap, Will-O-Wisp, and X-Scissor. Lastly, the only Item in-game with a dash is the 'Up-Grade' item, which also uses a capital letter for the secondary word. It's possible that 'U-turn' was an error, as when in-battle, and a Pokémon uses said attack, it shows 'U-Turn' instead.

So, despite me preferring Ho-oh, it seems that currently, there's more evidence to suggest that if Pokémon were typed in mainly lower case letters, it would be 'Ho-Oh' and not 'Ho-oh'. The only way to prove that it should be Ho-oh, in my opinion, would be to do what I suggested in my third paragraph.

So, there you have it, hopefully that shines a bit more light on the bird :)

Edit:

[​IMG]

Actually, I found it. It clearly says 'Ho-Oh' on the cover, so I guess that's the end of that one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)