1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Stat Experience Training in RBY/GSC

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by NixHex, May 19, 2012.

1. NixHex

NixHex what is béisbol
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Pokemon Red and Blue Versions

How many times must I beat the Elite 4 and Rival to max out the Stat Experience of One Pokemon?

I was about to ask this question in the SQSA thread and saw that the latest post asked the same exact question. Instead of fretting, I went ahead and made a spread sheet and calculated it myself.

Player Starts w/ Bulbasaur

HP: 37
    Atk: 31
    Def: 32
    Spc: 32
    Spe: 34

Player Starts w/ Charmander

Player Starts w/ Squirtle
    Spc: 33

Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal Versions
    # of Rounds
    HP: 34
    Atk: 28
    Def: 31
    Spe: 37

Look at how few battles must be completed to train for Attack! Lance's entire team, especially the three Dragonite, has a huge effect on that. The levels of the E4's Pokemon are much lower here than they are in RBY. If you're lucky enough to contract the PokéRus, cut those encounters in half. In other words...

Do All Stat Experience Training in GSC!
  2. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Lets have fewer stickies.

Nice work though!
  3. Unbreakable

Unbreakable

so basically, the point of this post is how many times you need to run through the gen 1/2 league before a given pokemon's stats are maxed, then all that's left to do is to get them to level 100?

Good to know, I guess.
  4. NixHex

NixHex what is béisbol
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Yes, now cut the negativity PLEASE for Christ's sake.
  5. Golden Gyarados

Golden Gyarados

I'm a HUGE Gen I/II Stadium junky. I continue to raise new Pokemon to level 100 with different movesets to play through the Stadium mode with, or give the Free Battle computer competitive monsters for me to fight against. I've often wondered how many times I should cycle through the E4 before I could call my training for each Pokemon "done," and this is exactly what I needed. This is awesome, thank you!
  6. vmajster

vmajster

great idea! after I saw your original thread yesterday, I went and done the same thing for GSC, but now I see you beat me to it ,) (or was it there before and I just missed it?)
    anyway - my calculation for Speed in GSC says only 33 rounds, otherwise I have the same values as you... will you check it?
  7. M. Rock

M. Rock

So let me see if I understand this: if I want to max out a Pokemon's Atk in GSC, said pokemon has to gain experience from EVERY pokemon the E4 + Champion has 28 times (and this experience can be gained indirectly from the Exp. Share or having said pokemon single-handedly defeat the E4 + Champ)? That's what you mean by beating the league X amount of times, right?
    Yikes. And I just thought making a Stadium 2 team was leveling up + teaching moves X_X
  8. NixHex

NixHex what is béisbol

37, if you want to max out all of them. 28 is the absolute minimum, that is assuming you're going for Attack only.
  9. M. Rock

M. Rock

Well, that's not so bad if you're only training a few mons...considering how easy the league is, I guess you could go through a few times each day.
  10. vmajster

vmajster

yup, that would be correct... 28 times, if your poke didn't have any stat. exp before = you didn't battle with him and you didn't give him any vitamins (with 10 vitamins, it would take only 14 times)... exp share should give you same part of stat exp as ordinary exp (according to bulba)
  11. NixHex

NixHex what is béisbol

Remember that if you're doing this in RBY, Exp. All does not share Stat Exp.
    But you should really be trading forward to GSC where the E4 is cake, training is quicker, and Exp. Share gives it to the holder as well.
  12. vmajster

vmajster

I'm sorry, in a previous post I was asking, if you can check those 37 rounds for speed (gsc), because in my spreadsheet, it was only 33 rounds... (maybe you missed it)
    I hope you don't mind...
  13. v

v I just...do things
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    ULTRA Moderator

Now I can lord another advantage over my high school friends when we get together and play the old pkmn games!! Cool resource imo, nixhex
  14. imapedarsag

imapedarsag

I'm glad someone else did the calculations as well. Although I got different results, especially for the speed in GSC. Would you mind double checking?

Here's my calculations.

GSC Elite Four Stat Exp. Given

Will

Hp 385
    Atk 370
    def 370
    spc 530
    spe 370

Koga

hp 405
    atk 440
    def 425
    spc 345
    spe 350

Bruno

hp 275
    atk 495
    def 467
    spc 200
    spe 358

Karen

hp 365
    atk 385
    def 347
    spc 485
    spe 411

Lance

hp 526
    atk 716
    def 507
    spc 529
    spe 551

Total

hp 1956
    atk 2406
    def 2116
    spc 2089
    spe 2040

GSC Number of Rounds Without Vitamins and Minerals

65535/Total stat exp (rounded up for each stat).

HP 34
    Atk 28
    Def 31
    Spc 32
    Spe 33

GSC Number of Rounds With Vitamins and Minerals

(65535-25500)/Total Stat Exp (rounded up for each stat).

HP 21
    Atk 17
    Def 19
    Spc 20
    Spe 20

So all in all, it will take 34 to fully train a pokemon without vitamins, or 21 with the vitamins, in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

I remember reading somewhere else that it took 20 with vitamins in RBY. From my experiences, this number has proven true, and in actuality, most stats are full by the 18th round, and the last two are for HP.

But I would still train in Gold/Silver/Crystal because the Elite Four is significantly easier as they are a much lower level.

Edit: On a side note, if you want to be exact in the calculations, I believe at 65025 the stat is maxed out, similar to how with EVs, the "max" is 255, but at 252 the stat is maxed. I didn't use this number in the calculations, but it is something to keep in mind in case you see varying results.
  15. Jade88

Jade88

How can you tell if your Pokemon's stats are maxed?
  16. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Once you do round(s) of E4 + Champion, deposit and withdraw the trained Pokemon into your PC Box. If you don't see any stat changes, then it's safe to assume that your Pokemon is maxed out.
  17. Golden Gyarados

Golden Gyarados

All of the GSC numbers would be halved if you've got the Pokerus, right? So if you took all vitamins, AND had the Pokerus, you'd only need to go through the Elite Four 10 times?

I literally *just* contracted the Pokerus about five minutes ago in my Crystal cartridge for the first time ever. I'm very excited about this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)