Stormy Seas - An Uber Warstory

It was a hot summer night, and I was fighting to maintain my recently acquired position in the top 10 on the Uber ladder. I pressed “Find Match” to find myself up against fellow leaderboarder PokemonMasterHSA for the third time in a row and knew right away that a fierce struggle was about to take place. We had split the first two battles, and I doubted that either of us wanted another close encounter, so this meeting would decide who would emerge victorious for the day. Little did I know at the time that the next few minutes were to be some of the most intense and exciting I have experienced on Shoddy Battle since the Smogon Tour. I believe that this warstory shows why the Uber metagame is the best one out there, and I hope that you will feel the same way after reading it! And now, some explanatory details about what everything is going to look like. :toast:

Note: Since we knew each other’s teams quite well by this point, they are displayed below for you to view if you want. Only the Pokémon are shown, with none of their characteristics revealed; you will have to learn those gradually during the course of the battle. Many of our choices in switching and in choosing moves were made with an understanding of both teams in mind, so read the commentary carefully or you could miss something important!

The text of the log will look like this.
My comments will look like this.
Other text will look like this.
-Standard ladder rules apply.
-Chat will be removed but discussed in the comments.
-The status of the Pokémon on the battlefield will be shown after each turn.
-Percentages are rounded to the nearest whole number, so a Pokémon can be left with 0% health and not faint.
-A Pokémon is described as “locked into” a move only if that status is due to the move itself, not an item.
-Scores will be shown in bold after each KO.

Deep Thought’s Team:

PokemonMasterHSA’s Team:

BEGIN!
Deep Thought sent out Gaia (lvl 100 Mew).
PokemonMasterHSA sent out Deoxys-f (lvl 100 Deoxys-f).
Deoxys-f is exerting its pressure!

(100%) vs
(100%)

For the third time, my cute pink…whatever it is finds itself facing a mutated space virus. It seems odd, but I actually have the advantage here – his Deoxys-A is without Shadow Ball, so Mew can U-turn away into the Pokémon of my choice and break its Focus Sash while losing only about a third of its health to Ice Beam. For those of you wondering what a Mew is doing in the lead position of my team, its moveset consists of Taunt, Stealth Rock, Explosion, and the aforementioned U-turn. I run 252 HP/222 Speed/36 Attack with a Jolly nature and a Lum Berry, making for a surprisingly effective suicide lead that often nets me an advantage right from the beginning of the battle. If you haven’t tried it out, I highly recommend it – you won’t be disappointed! Anyway, I decide to go to Mewtwo for the KO because I don’t have anything faster than Deoxys-A and I don’t want to leave Scizor or Rayquaza (my two priority users) open to being revenge-killed by PokemonMasterHSA’s Wobbuffet.

Deoxys-f used Ice Beam.
Gaia lost 36% of its health.
Gaia used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Deoxys-f lost 100% of its health.
Deoxys-f hung on using its Focus Sash!
Deep Thought switched in Uranus (lvl 100 Mewtwo).
Uranus is exerting its pressure!

(100%) vs
(0%)

Raise your hand if you chuckled at seeing “Uranus is exerting its pressure,” because I sure did! (I assure you, it was a COMPLETELY unintentional side effect of the nickname. Believe it.) On a more serious note, that turn went exactly as planned: Mew exits the stage and is replaced by its clone, which will shortly take care of the annoying virus-thing just as it did in our second meeting. As long as Mewtwo isn’t frozen by Ice Beam, I will draw first Pokéblood and be in control of the battle, which is vital in a matchup of two offensive teams such as ours.

Deoxys-f used Ice Beam.
Uranus lost 42% of its health.
Uranus used Ice Beam.
Deoxys-f lost 0% of its health.
PokemonMasterHSA's Deoxys-f fainted.
Uranus's leftovers restored its health a little!
Uranus restored 6% of its health.
---
PokemonMasterHSA switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
Dialga is exerting its pressure!

(64%) vs
(100%)
6-5 Deep Thought

Down goes Deoxys-A, and in comes his Support Dialga. Last time, I decided to Taunt a predicted Thunder Wave and wound up eating a Dragon Pulse; I know he knows I run Taunt+Calm Mind, so this time I’ll just go ahead and use Aura Sphere for what should be a 2HKO. I wonder why he brought in Dialga when it loses this matchup…

Uranus used Aura Sphere.
It's super effective!
Dialga lost 51% of its health.
Dialga used Dragon Pulse.
Uranus lost 53% of its health.

(17%) vs
(49%)

One more Aura Sphere should do it.

PokemonMasterHSA switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ♂).
Uranus used Aura Sphere.
Garchomp lost 39% of its health.

(24%) vs
(61%)

So that’s why he sent in Dialga – to bait me into using Aura Sphere while he brought in ScarfChomp for the KO. The best course of action for me is simply to sacrifice Mewtwo so I can scout its move and react accordingly.

Garchomp used Dragon Claw.
Uranus lost 24% of its health.
Deep Thought's Uranus fainted.
---
Deep Thought switched in Mars (lvl 100 Scizor ♂).

(100%) vs
(61%)
5-5 Tied

Scizor was the obvious choice to switch in once Mewtwo went down because of its resistance to Dragon Claw and ability to keep the momentum on my side by U-turning away from whatever he sends in next. Let’s see what he does now – I bet he’ll switch to Dialga to eat the U-turn and then use it as death fodder.

PokemonMasterHSA switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
Dialga is exerting its pressure!
Mars used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Dialga lost 21% of its health.
Deep Thought switched in Gaia (lvl 100 Mew).

(64%) vs
(28%)

He sent in Dialga as I expected, so I switch to Mew because there won’t be a better time to set up rocks. I hope he doesn’t also use Stealth Rock, because it would hamper my ability to constantly switch around Pokémon like I’ve been doing so far. However, I don’t think he knows what to expect from Mew, so I should be safe for this turn.

Gaia used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Dialga used Thunder Wave.
Gaia is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Gaia's Lum Berry cured its Paralysis!
Dialga is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Dialga's Lum Berry cured its Paralysis!

(64%) vs
(28%)

That went off perfectly – I got rocks up and he gained nothing except the knowledge that my Mew has a Lum Berry. I want to get my own Dialga in for the KO, but I really don’t want it to be paralyzed as that would render it essentially useless for the rest of the battle. Therefore, I decide to use Taunt instead of U-turn. Even if he decides to go for the Dragon Pulse, things will turn out fine because Mew can survive it easily and explode the next turn.

Gaia used Taunt.
Dialga fell for the taunt!
Dialga used Thunder Wave.
Dialga can't use Thunder Wave after the taunt!

(64%) vs
(28%)

Good, now I can get Dialga in without being statused. It will lose about half of its HP to Dragon Pulse in the process, but since he’ll probably send in Wobbuffet for the revenge-kill I’m not too concerned about the damage. And if he doesn’t go to Wobb, Dialga lives to fight another day, which could be useful later on in the battle…

Gaia used U-turn.
Dialga lost 6% of its health.
Deep Thought switched in Saturn (lvl 100 Dialga).
Saturn is exerting its pressure!
Dialga used Dragon Pulse.
Saturn lost 54% of its health.

(46%) vs
(21%)

The next turn is obvious – the only question is what will he switch in next?

Saturn used Dragon Pulse.
Dialga lost 21% of its health.
PokemonMasterHSA's Dialga fainted.
---
Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.

(46%) vs
(55%)
5-4 Deep Thought

Hmm, he picked Garchomp, which was probably a wise move because it poses the largest threat to me out of all his remaining Pokémon. I can’t afford to mispredict against ScarfChomp, so I decide to sacrifice Mew because it’s the most expendable member of my team once it’s set up SR. Well done Gaia, you did your job of getting the momentum on my side right from the start, now it’s time for you to go back to your Pokéball and get some rest!

Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
Gaia lost 55% of its health.

(9%) vs
(55%, locked into Outrage)

Beastly Mew is beastly. What can I say? Since Scizor now has no problem switching in on a resisted Outrage, Mew can stay around for a while longer in case I need death fodder later or it gets the opportunity to explode.

Garchomp used Outrage.
A critical hit!
Mars lost 69% of its health.

(31%) vs
(55%, locked into Outrage)

OK, that was…REALLY bad. Choice Banded Bullet Punch won’t come close to KOing Garchomp at 55%, and Outrage still has another turn left before it ends, so it looks like Mew is going down sooner rather than later.

Garchomp used Outrage.
Gaia lost 9% of its health.
Deep Thought's Gaia fainted.
Garchomp's rampage ended.
Garchomp became confused!
---

(31%) vs
(55%, confused)
4-4 Tied

Metal Bug VS Rampaging Dragon: The Rematch! But this time, things are a bit more interesting, because PokemonMasterHSA now has the option of predicting a Bullet Punch and switching out. If he switches, U-turn is the best option, but if he stays, I need to Bullet Punch and hope that Garchomp hurts itself instead of KOing Scizor. I base my decision on my knowledge of what PokemonMasterHSA is like as a battler: he won’t risk the confusion chance because he knows how useful Chomp has been thus far and will continue to be as long as it stays alive. Therefore, he’ll try to gain the upper hand and switch in either Palkia or Kyogre, so U-turn it is.

PokemonMasterHSA switched in Palkia (lvl 100 Palkia).
Palkia is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Palkia.
Palkia lost 12% of its health.
Mars used U-turn.
Palkia lost 58% of its health.
Deep Thought switched in Jupiter (lvl 100 Rayquaza).

(100%) vs
(30%)

My gamble paid off, and now the obvious choice is to have Rayquaza use Extremespeed. Die, giant space penis!

Jupiter used Extremespeed.
Palkia lost 30% of its health.
PokemonMasterHSA's Palkia fainted.
---
Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.

(100%) vs
(49%)
4-3 Deep Thought

It’s a matchup of two dragons, one clearly Uber and one whose tier status has been hotly debated for quite a while. You’ll notice that there was no Life Orb recoil when Rayquaza KOd Palkia; that’s because I run CBRay, which is NOT outclassed by CBChomp in the slightest. (Trust me, it’s awesome!) I don’t know whether Extremespeed can hit 49% damage on Garchomp, but I know it’ll be very close, so let’s find out, shall we?

Jupiter used Extremespeed.
Garchomp lost 48% of its health.
Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
Jupiter lost 100% of its health.
Deep Thought's Jupiter fainted.
---

(31%) vs
(0%, locked into Outrage)
3-3 Tied

Wow. Just wow. Here are the damage calcs I ran after the battle was over: 598 Atk vs 226 Def & 358 HP (80 Base Power): 152 – 179 (42.46% - 50.00%), showing that PokemonMasterHSA did make the right decision bringing Garchomp in on Rayquaza. Now my hand is forced: I have to use Bullet Punch or be KOd and probably lose the battle. The endgame has now begun in earnest; the next few turns will decide the match’s outcome.

Mars used Bullet Punch.
Garchomp lost 0% of its health.
PokemonMasterHSA's Garchomp fainted.
---
PokemonMasterHSA switched in Wobbuffet (lvl 100 Wobbuffet ♂).
Pointed stones dug into Wobbuffet.
Wobbuffet lost 12% of its health.

(31%) vs
(88%)
3-2 Deep Thought

I hate Wobbuffet.

Mars used Bullet Punch.
Wobbuffet lost 45% of its health.
Wobbuffet used Counter.
Mars lost 31% of its health.
Deep Thought's Mars fainted.
Wobbuffet's leftovers restored its health a little!
Wobbuffet restored 6% of its health.
---
Deep Thought switched in Neptune (lvl 100 Kyogre).
Neptune's Drizzle caused a storm!
Rain began to fall!

(100%) vs
(49%)
2-2 Tied

Let me tell you, it’s always a good feeling having a full health SpecsOgre out on the field. Of course, he has one too, but it won’t be coming in unharmed unless he sacrifices Wobbuffet, which puts me up 2-1. Either Surf or Water Spout will bring down the blue blob, but Water Spout will do more to his Kyogre if he tries to be sneaky and save Wobb for when my Dialga is forced to use Thunder or be KOd. Show him who the king of Ubers is, Kyogre!

Neptune used Water Spout.
Wobbuffet lost 49% of its health.
PokemonMasterHSA's Wobbuffet fainted.
The rain continues to fall.
---
PokemonMasterHSA switched in Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre).
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
Pointed stones dug into Kyogre.
Kyogre lost 12% of its health.

(100%) vs
(88%)
2-1 Deep Thought

At this point, I should have the win wrapped up, because I seem to remember SpecsDialga being able to OHKO 4 HP/0 SpDef Kyogre with Thunder. However, Dialga has to come in unscathed so that it can survive a SpecsOgre Thunder if need be; therefore, though it pains me to do so, I have to let my magnificent leviathan get electrocuted.

Kyogre used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Neptune lost 95% of its health.
Neptune used Water Spout.
Kyogre lost 3% of its health.

(5%) vs
(85%)

My Kyogre barely survives the thunderous onslaught, but does pitifully little with Water Spout. RIP Neptune.

Kyogre used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Neptune lost 5% of its health.
Deep Thought's Neptune fainted.
---
Deep Thoughts switched in Saturn (lvl 100 Dialga).
Saturn is exerting its pressure!

(46%) vs
(85%)
1-1 Tied

PokemonMasterHSA and I say our gg’s, as it looks like this will be the last turn of the battle. It was an excellent contest, but the might of a super-effective 120 BP move coming from 598 SpAtk should secure me the victory…

Saturn used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 82% of its health.
Kyogre used Thunder.
Saturn lost 35% of its health.

(11%) vs
(3%)

I’m really, really surprised that Dialga didn’t KO with Thunder. (In fact, this turn should have been impossible according to Libelldra. See my post-ending note under Slops.) However, there’s no time to wonder about anomalous damage calcs, because this battle is officially down to a speed tie! The moment of truth has arrived. *prays to Arceus*
*Scroll down*

Saturn used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 3% of its health.
PokemonMasterHSA's Kyogre fainted.
Deep Thought wins!

Final Score: 1-0 Deep Thought

I release the long breath I’ve been holding ever since Dialga came out to face off against Kyogre, and say gg once more to PokemonMasterHSA, a more than worthy adversary in these three battles. “Warstory” is the first thought that pops into my head after reflecting on the events of the past few minutes, but now it’s time to get off Shoddy Battle because I can’t handle any more of this intensity!

The battle’s over, which can mean only one thing: time for Props, Slops, and MVP Lollipops!

Props:
-Garchomp, for KOing half my team and surviving a CBRay’s Extremespeed with virtually no HP remaining
-Scizor, for standing up to Garchomp on multiple occasions and keeping me in control of the battle with its U-turns
-SpecsDialga, for showing SpecsOgre who’s boss and giving me the idea for this warstory’s title
-PokemonMasterHSA, for three fun and close battles with a truly EPIC finale and generally being a very cool guy!

Slops:
-Outrage crit on Scizor
-Shoddy Battle glitching and making me sweat for another turn because Dialga only did 82% with Thunder (Libelldra says 598 SpAtk vs 316 SpDef & 342 HP (120 Base Power): 326 – 384 (95.32% - 112.28%)
-Me, for having to sacrifice half my team!

The MVP Lollipop goes to
:
It gained me the upper hand right from the get-go, then came back later to set up Stealth Rock and keep Dialga from being paralyzed, then came back once more to take not just one, but TWO Outrages from Garchomp so that its rampage would end and I could send in Scizor to get the momentum back. And all this from a suicide lead that no one uses. Hopefully now they will! *gives Rare Candy to Mew*

Credits:
the_arctic_one, for making Warmachine 1.0, which was used to pre-format much of this warstory
Uchihaex, for helping me find the webpage for the Warmachine download
Bloo, for helping me out a lot with formatting the final product for posting on the forums
The Cave of Dragonflies, for the sprites
The Libelldra Forge, for its damage calculator
You, for reading all the way through!

Good warstory. I actually read the entire thing! ^^ The only thing I have to say is why use waterspout if you knew his last poke was kyogre? Iirc, surf would've finished wobb and done like 40% to ogre, but the ending with a speed tie probably made it better. ;) Good job guys. Maybe one day I will write a warstory. ^_^

Edit: I got the 1st post on something! Woot!

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not bad. I didn't think that there was too much prediction but the ending was cool and your comments were pretty good.

This was an above-average fast paced battle. As it was fast paced, it didn't provide a lot of mindgames and predictions, but it was a good battle nontheless.

Something that let me down was the fact that every 5 lines of commentary by you was matched with a line or two by him. Your commentary was excellent, while his was below-average and lackluster.

Overall, I would debate upon giving this *** or **** if I had a bagde. ;p

Good gob!

PS: Try adding spaces between both your comments, it'll help. (That goes for Props & Slops too)

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
i could have expanded the comments but i`m sorry because i was really pressed for time when i was writing these

I`ll expand them if you want and pm you

Awesome warstory.Battles like this one make me want to play ubers more (too bad though that threre arent many people on the ladder).What I liked the most though was that the outcome of the battle depended on a speed tie!

Scarfchomp is the best revenge killer IMO and this battle shows it (although I like the Haban SD Chomp set better).

-Deep Thought I want to battle you sometime.It's really a shame that you havent become first on the leaderboard yet.

-PokemonMasterHSA I have battle you many times and if I recall correctly you win me 4-2.Do you want a rematch?

9.5/10 from me

ps.Destiny Chaser on Shoddy

8.5/10 (read: 9/10)

well written, and it is interesting that you use four choice users
mew lead is very good, I will start experimenting with a lead jirachi(healing wish and gravity aren't nothing)

-Shoddy Battle glitching and making me sweat for another turn because Dialga only did 82% with Thunder (Libelldra says 598 SpAtk vs 316 SpDef & 342 HP (120 Base Power): 326 – 384 (95.32% - 112.28%)
you do know that a lot of people run HP evs on kyogre right?

The only thing I have to say is why use waterspout if you knew his last poke was kyogre?
Because he might save Wobbuffet for last like this: He switches in Ogre, I use Surf, I'm forced to sacrifice Ogre because Dialga is at low health, then I have to use Thunder to KO his Ogre, then Wobb comes in, survives, and KOs me with Mirror Coat. If I use Water Spout as he sends in Ogre, Dialga can finish it off with Dragon Pulse after my Ogre faints and then be able to KO Wobb for the win. They may not be entirely justified, but those were my thoughts at the time, so I picked Water Spout.

As it was fast paced, it didn't provide a lot of mindgames and predictions, but it was a good battle nontheless.

Something that let me down was the fact that every 5 lines of commentary by you was matched with a line or two by him.
The mindgames and predictions were not as obvious as in some warstories, but they were there. You have to understand that right from the beginning of the battle, I was trying to create a win condition for myself, and since PokemonMasterHSA knew my team quite well, I had to constantly be thinking about what he would expect me to do, what he would expect me to expect him to do, etc. So there was prediction, but you have to dig deeper into the battle to find it.

About the commentary - PokemonMasterHSA has already told me he will be rewriting his comments, so that situation should be rectified in a matter of days.

you do know that a lot of people run HP evs on kyogre right?
After the battle, I asked PokemonMasterHSA what spread he ran on his SpecsOgre and he said that it was 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/6 HP. Dialga should have been able to hit at least 95% damage with Thunder, but it didn't because Shoddy glitched for some weird reason. It did add more tension to the end of the battle, and it didn't affect the outcome, so I'm not too worried about it.

Keep up the replies everyone, all feedback is appreciated and I'll try to address any comments that need addressing!

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
good warstory, but i didnt even bother with pokemonmasterhsa's comments. either cut them out or make them as insightful as yours ^_^ solid 4 stars if you only count deep thought's comments

It was a very fast paced, simple Ubers match. This is what an above average Ubers match looks like - I enjoyed the story, good job!

I also think he's one of the best (if not the best) revenge killers in UBER (would be a monster revenge killer as well if he ever came back to OU). That thing is a savage lol.

Nice battle to both of you, it was fun reading it XD

a fun read, nice warstory. the comments were really nice because they went through what choices you had for each turn and showed why you acted the way you did. i don't play ubers but it's getting increasingly attractive :o

he probably put some hp evs into ogre

he probably put some hp evs into ogre
Except for the part where HSA says his Kyogre is 252 SpA 252 Spe and 6 HP.

It's generally a good idea to read the whole thread before posting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)