Stoutland's Time to Shine

Now that Excadrill is up in Uber's, Stoutland has a chance to distinguish himself as a speedy threat in the sand that isn't overshadowed by the mole. I'm a big fan of Mienshao, so I decided to add him to the equation. I made some tweaks based on recommendations I got on GameFaqs, but I'm still looking for improvement. I will present my team here, and then examine a threat list to see what my team can and can't handle. Any suggestions are very welcome. I'd rather not drop Mienshao and Stoutland from my team, though.

LEADING US OFF IS...

Deoxys-S@Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
252 HP/4 DEF/252 SPD
Superpower
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Taunt

Deoxys-S is a natural at setting up hazards. I can almost always get rocks up, and usually at least one layer of spikes as well. Entry hazards are a huge help, especially late game when I'm depending on Stoutland to clear away the remaining enemies. Superpower is to deal with stuff like Tyranitar, though I've also been trying Low Kick. Obviously, I won't lead with Deoxys if I see that the enemy is packing Espeon. I usually bring Jirachi in first, then.

OUR SECONDARY LEAD...

Jirachi@Leftovers
Timid
4 HP/252 SP. ATK/252 SPD.
Calm Mind
Hidden Power (Fire)
Grass Knot
Psyshock

If I can't lead with Deoxys, I usually start with Jirachi and begin boosting right off the bat. I find that Jirachi is a fantastic lure for Tentacruel, who is one of my biggest problems. Once Tentacruel is in, it's cleanly KO'd by Psyshock. Grass Knot deals with Quagsire, Swampert, and Gastrodon. HP Fire is great for those steel types who think Jirachi is running flinchax. Overall, a very useful member of my team. With a few calm minds it's very difficult for an enemy team to stop him.

NEXT UP IS...

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Naive
252 ATK./4 SP. ATK./252 SPD.
Hi Jump Kick
U-Turn
Fake Out
HP Ice

Offensive pivot. I bring him in when I can and wreak havoc. Hi Jump Kicks from him do massive damage, easily scoring 1 and 2 hit KO's. For some reason, people like to switch Gliscor into me, and are promptly greeted by HP Ice. HP Ice also deals with Dragonite and Mence, though HJK does more than enough to Haxorus and Hydreigon. When he's got momentum, he simply can't be stopped. I love him.

AND OF COURSE WE HAVE TO ABUSE...

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid
252 SP. ATK/252 SPD.
Draco Meteor
Surf
HP Fire
Psyshock

Latios is Latios. A fantastic special sweeper. I tend to save him for later in the match in order to put momentum in my favor, though I might bring him in early to dispatch certain threats. All in all, he does the job he's intended for, and he does it well.

AND BRINGING THE SAND WE HAVE...

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant
156 HP/252 ATK./100 SPD.
Crunch
Pursuit
Superpower
Stone Edge

I've run specially defensive mixtar before, and I wasn't impressed. I tried CBTar and I fell in love. THIS right here is the reason why Tyranitar is so scary, he hits like an angry freight train while still having enough bulk to take a hit or two. Pursuit is fantastic for catching fleeing enemies, especially politoed who tends to switch out when TTar switches in, and Latios after using draco meteor. Stone Edge just hits absurdly hard, and Superpower eliminates rival Tyranitars with ease, among other things.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THE TOP DOG...

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant
4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD.
Return
Fire Fang
Crunch
Wild Charge

My late game sweeper and revenge killer. With sand up, he's crazy fast, and with a choice band, his return is a scary weapon. Once the enemy team is weakened by residual damage and hazards, Stoutland's clean-up job is pretty easy. I only wish he had a decent fighting attack in his arsenal, it would compliment him nicely.

Anyway, that's my team. Threat list incoming...

I look at the
Offensive Threats
Here. I'll cover defensive threats when I have the time.
Tyranitar: My own Tyranitar's Superpower is usually enough to eliminate rival ttars. I also have Mienshao's Hi Jump Kick. As a last resort, Jirachi's grass knot can do him in if he's been weakened.
Rotom-W: Latios can usually wrestle him down. Jirachi also gives him problems. In sand, Stoutland easily eliminates him as well.
Scizor: Jirachi's HP Fire. To a lesser extent, Latios with HP Fire as well. Jirachi tends to be a more reliable answer to scizor though.
Dragonite: Stealth rock is very important to have in order to remove multiscale. After that, Latios and Mienshao can easily eliminate him. After a couple boosts, Jirachi can wear him down as well.
Politoed: If it's specs, I'll revenge kill with Latios. If not, weaken him with Jirachi, scare him out with Tyranitar, then pursuit him while he flees. Works pretty consistently.
Heatran: One of the biggest problems for my team. Mienshao and Latios have the easiest time dealing with him.
Jirachi: A pain in the ass for me, all the time. I usually try and wear him down with my own jirachi, or just brute force him with Mienshao.
Latios: Stoutland revenge kill. Crunch or Return both do the job. Also, Tyranitar's pursuit works wonders if latios has used draco meteor and is likely to flee.
Reuniclus: Mienshao fake out + u-turn to soften him up, latios or stoutland to finish the job. Easy.
Deoxys-S: I might try to Taunt him with my own Deoxys if I want to gamble on the speed tie. Otherwise, I'll just use him for setup with my Jirachi, by the time he gets to taunting I usually manage at least one calm mind.
Haxorus: Latios takes him out easily unless he's got dragon dance under his belt, then I have to rely on stoutland to be fast enough to finish him off. Jirachi can also deal with him if he's locked into outrage.
Ninetales: Latios or Tyranitar. Little more than a nuisance.
Conkeldurr: Dangerous if I let him set up. Jirachi's Psyshock helps wear him down quickly, though.
Celebi: Mienshao's U-turn massacres him, but Jirachi deals with him just as easily with HP Fire and Calm Mind.
Terrakion: Nasty. Very hard for me to handle if he's scarfed. Fortunately, he rarely is, so Latios can handle him well enough.
Gyarados: Not a major threat. Tyranitar deals with him easily enough, so does most of my team.
Gengar: very annoying with those subs. Stoutland easily revenge kills him though.
Starmie: Jirachi or Stoutland have little trouble dealing with Starmie.
Infernape: Very dangerous. Latios and stoutland are my most reliable answers.
Volcarona: Stealth rock is mandatory if I know this is coming in. Once rocks are up, it's easily beaten once it switches in.
Magnezone: Mienshao and Jirachi can takes this out.
Espeon: I hate magic coat. Anyway, it's not hard to beat directly. Stoutland can take him.
Salamence: Mienshao can usually get him with HP Ice after stealth rock damage and fake out. Otherwise, Latios can Draco Meteor.
Hydreigon: Mienshao dispatches him easily. Stoutland and Latios are waiting in the wings, too.
Breloom: Breloom's biggest weakness is being so slow. I try to make sure I don't have to switch into him (damn Spore)...because as long as I don't, he's easy to beat.
Latias: I don't see these much. Same way I'd deal with Latios I guess.
Toxicroak: Psyshock from Jirachi. Jirachi can survive a sucker punch, too.
Lucario: Like Breloom, his speed is his weakness. Mienshao deals with him easily, he even takes an unboosted Extremespeed decently.
Virizion: Jirachi and Psyshock. Latios works, too.
Scrafty: Mienshao Hi Jump Kick before he manages to Dragon Dance. Stoutland is still faster than him even after a DD so he can handle scrafty too.
Venusaur: If sun is up, Venusaur is a huge hassle, especially because of sleep powder. Either way, Psyshock does a number on him, as does HP Fire.
Metagross: I almost never see these. I guess I'd hit him with HP Fire.
Mienshao: Latios outspeeds and KO's with Psyshocks. Stoutland can beat him too.
Cloyster: I might try to taunt him. Otherwise, Jirachi can tank him.
Mamoswine: Mienshao doesn't care about Ice Shard and OHKO's with HJK.
Darmanitan: A major threat to me, surprisingly enough, with its speed and massive power. Stoutland is usually my best bet here.
Tornadus: Stoutland and Latios deal with him.

Landorus: Tough to beat, especially with a scarf. That U-Turn is a headache. I try to wear him down with residual damage and let stoutland move in for the kill.

I actually think I'v fought this team before and as I remember it was pretty good. Although I think my HO rain team was able to win because you had a major hole in your defense. My Tornadus was able to Hurricane or Focus Blast everything except Jirachi for the OHKO. You say your Tornadus counter is Stoutland, but in the rain it is easily out sped, and most people run Tornadus on a rain team anyway. Latios is also not fast enough to catch Tornadus, and Hurricane is almost always an OHKO on it as well. You may want to run a single defensive Poke on your team, to help balance your weaknesses. You could use Skarmory as a physical wall and give him rocks, so that Deoxys is free to set up screens, since your team is mostly offensive. Just some things to think about.
Good Luck Danger Mouse

Defensive Threats and how I deal with them.
Tyranitar: My own tyranitar easily beats him with Superpower. Mienshao takes him down easily, too.
Rotom-W: This guy is a bit of a pain for my team, but Jirachi deals with him pretty decently.
Ferrothorn: He's more difficult to deal with in rain, but if rain isn't up, Latias and Jirachi beat him easily with HP Fire. Otherwise, Mienshao can take him out.
Politoed: Ah, rain teams. Probably the single biggest problem I have. Politoed himself is a big threat if he's got specs or scarf, but I usually concentrate on eliminating him first and foremost. Tyranitar can come in on a more defensive politoed, scare him out, then pursuit him when he tries to run. Latios can stand up to politoed, too.
Gliscor: No problem at all. Mienshao laughs at him with HP Ice, while Laitos has Surf.
Heatran: Another major hassle for me. Latios can do a number on him with surf, though. Tyranitar and Mienshao only fear burns.
Jirachi: Another pain. My own jirachi can usually out stall him with Calm Mind and HP Fire though.
Skarmory: Tyranitar's Stone Edge maims Skarmory, but Latios is generally best suited to take him out.
Ninetales: No big deal. Tyranitar kills him easily. Latios can handle him too.
Celebi: Mienshao can OHKO with U-Turn. Jirachi can also beat him.
Forretress: HP Fire from Latios or Jirachi.
Gyarados: Stone Edge from Tyranitar wrecks him but ttar doesn't like Waterfall. Latios can beat Gyarados easily enough, stoutland can beat him with wild charge.
Jellicent: An annoyance. I use stoutland or tyranitar's crunch, but neither like burns. Jirachi isn't really scared of anything Jellicent does, though.
Tentacruel: Packs both toxic spikes and rapid spin, two of the biggest threats to my team, so he becomes my number one target when I see him in team preview. Fortunately, Jirachi tends to lure in Tentacruel, so I can Psyshock him before he manages to do anything.
Gastrodon: Grass Knot from Jirachi is my best way of dealing with him.
Espeon: Crunch and Pursuit.
Blissey: If Jirachi has a couple calm minds set up, Psyshock works nicely. Otherwise, Tyranitar and Mienshao can beat her.
Vaporeon: I just have to hit him as hard as possible, Latios does the job.
Latias: Latios, or failing that, Tyranitar or Stoutland.
Bronzong: Another tough cookie for me. Jirachi can handle him if he's boosted, but otherwise I just have to wear him down with Latios.
Swampert: Grass Knot, again, works well enough.
Mew: Crunch and Pursuit are good. U-Turn from Mienshao can dent him pretty good.
Slowbro: Crunch, Pursuit, U-Turn, I have many ways of wearing down and beating Slowbro.
Quagsire: Grass Knot is my best option, usually.

I actually think I'v fought this team before and as I remember it was pretty good. Although I think my HO rain team was able to win because you had a major hole in your defense. My Tornadus was able to Hurricane or Focus Blast everything except Jirachi for the OHKO. You say your Tornadus counter is Stoutland, but in the rain it is easily out sped, and most people run Tornadus on a rain team anyway. Latios is also not fast enough to catch Tornadus, and Hurricane is almost always an OHKO on it as well. You may want to run a single defensive Poke on your team, to help balance your weaknesses. You could use Skarmory as a physical wall and give him rocks, so that Deoxys is free to set up screens, since your team is mostly offensive. Just some things to think about.
Good Luck Danger Mouse
I run many alts, but my current team is under 'Lord Byron.' When facing rain teams, I try my best to weaken Politoed, scare him out with Tyranitar, then pursuit him. If I can't get Politoed out of the picture, I do often have issues. Stealth Rocks really help against Tornadus, but yeah, in rain, that does seem like a defensive hole.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
yea i also faced this team on ladder, and when i was battling u u had low kick instead of superpower, costing u a ko on my ttar but yea my sash'd alakazam swept ur team cold after i kod ur jirachi it had no problems koing ur team(i had a focus sash to tank stoutlands crunch). Like wit the torndaus problem u could use a more solid sp def wall

Jirachi works pretty well defensively, but yeah, I could use something bulkier. Suggestions? Gastrodon, maybe? He trolls rain teams pretty hard, and rain is my biggest problem ATM...

Instead of using a Jirachi, I suggest a Stockpile Hippo as it can wall most Fighting types attempting to switch in on Stoutland's sweep or a Bulky Gliscor.

Sets:

StockpileHippo
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Trait: Sand Stream
252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Slack Off
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic/Stone Edge/Roar

Toxic is the best in the last spot as it grants great stalling ability with Earthquake. Toxic/Stockpile/Slack Off make Hippowdon into a nearly un-killable tank. Everything that is immune to toxic is comfortably handled by Earthquake as Poison and Steel are both weak to Ground and Hippowdon's attack isn't half bad.

Bulky SDGliscor
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Trait: Sand Veil
180 Hp/56 Atk/56 Def/218 Spe
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

This Gliscor is the best out there.(In My Opinion). 180 Hp EV's make 336 HP which maxes out Lefties recovery. Ice Fang is used as the coverage move as it is only resisted by Bronzong and allows Scor to tank hits like a champ. 56 Atk EV's make Gliscor able to comfortably 2HKO max HP TTar. 218 Speed EV's allows you to outrun Lucario, Heatran, Magnezone, and more.

Gliscor could work, but honestly, that would leave me as only Latios as a special attacker, which is less than ideal to me.

I'd have to think about that.

Okay then, I have another suggestion! This Poke is physically bulky, has a lone weakness to Psychic types AND resists Fighting types! Guess who!

IT'S THE ONE AND ONLY!

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Bold
252HP/200Def/56SpA
-Thunderbolt
-Haze
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisp

I don't get why people don't use this thing! In my opinion, this thing is the perfect Bulky SpAttacker. He perfectly counters ALL versions of a Terrakion and . He burns all physical attackers with WoW and Hazes away any set up sweepers. How good is that! If that doesn't sell him to you, the added bonus of Thunderbolt hits most Rain Teams for SE damage.

Type Synergy:

Psychic: His only weakness. Anyone see a Psychic type? Switch in the CBTar and make it literally crap its pants!
Fighting (Stoutland/Ttar's weaknesses): He has massive physical bulk and can burn any Fighting types that switch in! Halving its attack and neutering it for the rest of the game, except in ConkelDerp's case. Burning it activates its Guts ability.

CurryLemonzz :D

To stop rain teams, why not use a CM Latias over Latios? The more defensive Latias can absorb special attacks and still hit like a truck after a boost or two.

I haven't used this team in awhile. Currently I'm working on a mono dragon team and a team that centers around cincinno, but I'm still open to suggestions for this one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)