Strikeout Tournament -- Round One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
O man I am upset Tay I missed these Sign up =/

If you need a substitute anytime through the tournament I am more than willing to be one, and I have pretty much an open 24 hour availability for the next 2 weeks.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah it's too bad I would love to have you in the tourney but we already have three subs...

Oh well I'll add you to the list!

On another note...If you are in the tournament it is vital that you read this post.

It has come to my attention that there is a major flaw in the way I designed the "global" strikeouts. I think the PM I sent to Junior says it best:
TAY said:
OK so I realized recently while chatting with Brawley that at a certain point there will almost definitely be a "best" pokemon which will be struck out by so many people that it can't possibly be eliminated via usage, despite the fact that it should be the most common. It's already looking like that poke is *******, which has probably been named by like 40% of the players who have submitted strikeouts so far, and it's just going to be named again and again each round since it will clearly be the most useful poke available.

So basically we need to amend the rules so that instead of eliminating the two most used, we eliminate the single most used and the single most struck out pokemon. This is something that really needs to happen for strikeouts to remain relevant in later rounds, and I figured I would run it by you before I edit the thread. PM me back when you get this so I know you understand/approve/hate me/etc.
The actual percent turned out to be less than 40, but still high enough to cause concern. This is a decision which really doesn't affect this round at all, but I figured it would be good to make the new rules of the tournament clear as soon as possible. I'm sorry to have to make last minute changes again, but I hope you believe me when I say that this is very, very important for the health of this tournament.

The rules in the OP should be updated shortly. If you have any questions feel free to post them here, but for now I'll try to be as clear as possible:
  • There will still be two global (i.e. for everyone) strikeouts each round.
  • One of these two will be the pokemon most used in battles in the previous round.
  • The second of these two will be the pokemon which was struck out most in the previous round.
  • You still need to send your battle logs to both me and Junior.
Thanks for your patience, guys.

I too think that is the best method, also hell yeah I got a mention.
:D
Me and Pat will be battling Thursday

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Heh I think I predicted this on the first page of this thread ;D Except I kind of took it as an intentional part of the design rather than a design flaw.

Sent PM to TAY and waiting to see what my opponent has striked out before I build my team.

Puggy vs Gormenghast
Sunday vs Max
Gouki vs Earthworm
Rhykune vs Kankuro
Aeroblacktyl vs Arin
Rojo23 vs guadetjaja
Pride vs Ripchord
Fabbles vs Limitless
Pat vs Brawlex
umbarsc vs snorlax
Ryo vs Alive
Amelia vs Silentmartyr
Sapientia vs darkie
Olie vs Clifford
Eo Et Mortus vs Acenova
KD24 vs Warthog
zerowing vs tennisace
Blame Game vs Fishin
timw06 vs Da Letter El (I'm a pessimistic person!)
imperfectluck vs GBH713
Taylor vs Andeby
Master of the Six Kings vs Ulquiorra
Maji vs gmax
Game Freak201 vs Cooper
Sk vs Aipom
moi vs latinoheat
LonelyNess vs moomoonerd
Venom vs Jabba
Sikh Assassin vs husk
Hipmonlee vs Coconut Storm
Jackal vs RaineStorm
Gaborik vs Rag

Good game Amelia, I wanna thank Snorlax for helping me! I almost won with your help (along with the other guy whose name I can't remember...sorry!)

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Droping out due to unforseen computer issues.
Alright, kane is taking over for Maji. The OP has been updated accordingly.

Something else: At the end of each round I was planning on showing how many players struck out each pokemon, and possibly actual usage stats also. I hadn't planned on saying specifically who had struck out what, in case someone had some strategy they wanted preserved, but Junior suggested I show that information (it would be fairly easy for me since I have been keeping track of the tournament in a handy Excel document).

So if anyone has objections to me posting what the struck out then post here, otherwise I'm going to go through with it.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Jabba and I talked on Shoddy, and should getting our match done somewhere next week.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, kane is taking over for Maji. The OP has been updated accordingly.

Something else: At the end of each round I was planning on showing how many players struck out each pokemon, and possibly actual usage stats also. I hadn't planned on saying specifically who had struck out what, in case someone had some strategy they wanted preserved, but Junior suggested I show that information (it would be fairly easy for me since I have been keeping track of the tournament in a handy Excel document).

So if anyone has objections to me posting what the struck out then post here, otherwise I'm going to go through with it.
Maybe it is just me, but I would really prefer that you do not release what each individual person struck out. I don't mind showing what Pokemon were struck out on an anonymous basis however.

Limitless has contacted me on Shoddy but unfortunately I was away when he did so. We should be able to get it done this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)