Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Had another thought! (Sorry for the double post, etc)

Maybe Beta Pokemon and beta Moves can be implemented? I think it'd be fun seeing how the meta plays out if there was an Unreleased Pokemon Mode that has Beta and Unreleased-as-of-now Pokemon allowed in it!

Add a type of color change that only appears to you, for example if you decide to change your color from Purple to Blue then you will see your name as Blue, but other people will see it as Purple
This still would make faking logs much easier, though you can already do this if you just download your own copy of the client and add in like, one additional line of code.
Regardless, name colors are not there to look pretty, it's a functional and important part of keeping the chat readable and possible to moderate. It's IMPORTANT that not everyone has a good name color because that helps ensure that the name colors are diverse as possible. If it was possible to change name color in any ways it's a very real possibility that a majority of people would have red names or whatever color happens to be popular.
Further, the fact that every name color is different (It's very improbable to see two of the exact same color because there are tens of thousands of possible colors) actually makes each username more unique. You might not like your color but you're sure to know that it makes you different from everyone else, even if it looks very similar.

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, and I REALLY hope it hasn't, but we should have the ability to search for battles with no Smogon rules; just normal gameplay. Meaning no banned items, no banned Pokemon, no banned moves; just playing how you would play in the actual games. I know you can do this by asking someone, but you should also be able to do it with the "Look for a Battle" button. Without it, it just limits your freedom of playing the game. Not everyone plays competitive, so why isn't this already a feature?

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, and I REALLY hope it hasn't, but we should have the ability to search for battles with no Smogon rules; just normal gameplay. Meaning no banned items, no banned Pokemon, no banned moves; just playing how you would play in the actual games. I know you can do this by asking someone, but you should also be able to do it with the "Look for a Battle" button. Without it, it just limits your freedom of playing the game. Not everyone plays competitive, so why isn't this already a feature?
Because Pokemon Showdown is a competitive server, and a mode with nothing banned is uncompetitive and therefore something Showdown is very, very unlikely to support.

Isn't that basically what Ubers is?

Because Pokemon Showdown is a competitive server, and a mode with nothing banned is uncompetitive and therefore something Showdown is very, very unlikely to support.
But why not have a feature for non-competitive players? Or even just something for people who play the games normally to play with. I'm sure plenty of people who first discovered Showdown actually expected this feature, and it's literally the most basic feature any Pokemon simulator can have. It won't be for competitors or for tournaments; just nice, fun, casual play that you can jump on and do at any time.

But why not have a feature for non-competitive players? Or even just something for people who play the games normally to play with. I'm sure plenty of people who first discovered Showdown actually expected this feature, and it's literally the most basic feature any Pokemon simulator can have. It won't be for competitors or for tournaments; just nice, fun, casual play that you can jump on and do at any time.
Can't you just play Ubers? It's honestly much more fun because people can't spam OHKO moves and such.

It just really isn't worth the effort to implement.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Theoretically you could challenge someone to an unrated battle but it's definitely not the worst idea in the world.

Can't you just play Ubers? It's honestly much more fun because people can't spam OHKO moves and such.

It just really isn't worth the effort to implement.
Things like that are a little more uncommon than they seem. If even the game developers can give the player the freedom to have whatever moveset they please, there's no reason at all for a simulator to take away that freedom.

Theoretically you could challenge someone to an unrated battle but it's definitely not the worst idea in the world.
Yeah, I could do that, too. But it'd also be nice to just have that option for random searching battles, so not everyone has to carefully cherry-pick around their team just to get something that they can use.

In 350 Cup and Tier Shift, doing /data within a battle room should show the Pokémon's modified stats.
On that note, why not just make such mods able to alter the teambuilder when they are the selected metagame if said metagame is supported on the current server, similarly to the way they modify the battle itself?

...I know I've been a pill about this suggestion on the IRC... and for my stubborn behavior, I wholeheartedly apologize to anyone whom I've frustrated; but, I figure that if I talk about it in a different setting and in a different mindset, I might get different results. I'll let you know: I'm a (novice) programmer myself, so I can only guess how tall an order my request must sound like to you. Just know that I can be patient regarding a feature like this, despite anything I've said before. More than anything, I'd just like to know whether such a concept is or is not possible with the way Showdown is currently coded. If it is, I wouldn't mind learning it at all... and though I am a relative novice as I previously, anyone who remembers either Captain's Modded Server or Snowy Mountains on Shoddy Battle is likely well aware of what I can do when I learn.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Looks like my suggestion was ignored or missed, so I'm gonna repost it, and elaborated on -

Maybe Beta Pokemon and beta Moves can be implemented? I think it'd be fun seeing how the meta plays out if there was an Unreleased Pokemon Mode that has Beta and Unreleased-as-of-now Pokemon allowed in it!

Basically I'm saying make Beta Pokemon, Beta Moves, etc Available in Pokemon Showdown!. They could just have the tier 'Unreleased' like Volcanion has. It could make beta fans like me pretty happy.

Then as for an Unreleased Pokemon Mode it could basically be a tier which makes Unreleased Pokemon physically usable. So really it can make Mega Latias/Latios available to use along with Volcanion and Hoopa. If you think the other Pokemon should be used go for it!

Just to give some ideas to start with if this is even considered or touched -
*Adding in Honoguma, Kurusu and Happa as starting Pokemon
*Add Body Blow (Tackle replica) and Serene (Synthesis Replica)

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Looks like my suggestion was ignored or missed, so I'm gonna repost it, and elaborated on -

Basically I'm saying make Beta Pokemon, Beta Moves, etc Available in Pokemon Showdown!. They could just have the tier 'Unreleased' like Volcanion has. It could make beta fans like me pretty happy.

Then as for an Unreleased Pokemon Mode it could basically be a tier which makes Unreleased Pokemon physically usable. So really it can make Mega Latias/Latios available to use along with Volcanion and Hoopa. If you think the other Pokemon should be used go for it!

Just to give some ideas to start with if this is even considered or touched -
*Adding in Honoguma, Kurusu and Happa as starting Pokemon
*Add Body Blow (Tackle replica) and Serene (Synthesis Replica)
There is an unrealed metagame. So you can use the unreleased mons there. I am unsure if it's on the server in challenge mode, yet there won't be an official ladder using unreleased mons until they are released. There's always custom game challenging. And what you're talking about sounds like an OM, I don't think it would fit there, yet it may. I am unsure. You're free to try and send it in as an OM pet mod if you want, yet no guarantee of anything being added for beta move tiers

On that note, why not just make such mods able to alter the teambuilder when they are the selected metagame if said metagame is supported on the current server, similarly to the way they modify the battle itself?

...I know I've been a pill about this suggestion on the IRC... and for my stubborn behavior, I wholeheartedly apologize to anyone whom I've frustrated; but, I figure that if I talk about it in a different setting and in a different mindset, I might get different results. I'll let you know: I'm a (novice) programmer myself, so I can only guess how tall an order my request must sound like to you. Just know that I can be patient regarding a feature like this, despite anything I've said before. More than anything, I'd just like to know whether such a concept is or is not possible with the way Showdown is currently coded. If it is, I wouldn't mind learning it at all... and though I am a relative novice as I previously, anyone who remembers either Captain's Modded Server or Snowy Mountains on Shoddy Battle is likely well aware of what I can do when I learn.
Because /data and the teambuilder are both rendered client side, that'd mean that this is a client side only change with the way that Showdown is currently coded. It's not so much that this can't be done, as I think there is a bit of an objection to increasing the client size for something which is only accessed in a niche situation of other metas. I'll ask in the IRC to confirm this, but I suspect it won't get added.

Add a type of color change that only appears to you, for example if you decide to change your color from Purple to Blue then you will see your name as Blue, but other people will see it as Purple
This is actually possible to do. Here's how btw:
  1. Go to userstyles.org and install it.
  2. Click it and go to 'Manage Installed Styles'
  3. From here, click 'Write New Style'
  4. Then put this in:
    Code:
    [data-name=" username"]
    {
      color: #0066FF;
    }
  5. Then, change " username" to your own and 'color: #' to whatever you want. Note #1: It's important to have a space in between " and username! Note #2: For Staff of any room, just put the corresponding group before username like +username or Username, etc.
  6. Next, click 'Specify' and input http://play.pokemonshowdown.com
  7. Now you have your username any color you'd like!

:]

Stratos

Banned deucer.
or at least not order the pokemon by singles tiers after i explicitly select "Doubles" i swear to god if one more person uses dragonite i'm gonna fuckin end it

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
There is an unrealed metagame. So you can use the unreleased mons there. I am unsure if it's on the server in challenge mode, yet there won't be an official ladder using unreleased mons until they are released. There's always custom game challenging. And what you're talking about sounds like an OM, I don't think it would fit there, yet it may. I am unsure. You're free to try and send it in as an OM pet mod if you want, yet no guarantee of anything being added for beta move tiers
OM? No...it's not OM, in fact I don't even know what an OM is. I mean as in scrapped Pokemon - The ones that didn't make it into the final game.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
This is actually possible to do. Here's how btw:
  1. Go to userstyles.org and install it.
  2. Click it and go to 'Manage Installed Styles'
  3. From here, click 'Write New Style'
  4. Then put this in:
    Code:
    [data-name=" username"]
    {
      color: #0066FF;
    }
  5. Then, change " username" to your own and 'color: #' to whatever you want. Note #1: It's important to have a space in between " and username! Note #2: For Staff of any room, just put the corresponding group before username like +username or Username, etc.
  6. Next, click 'Specify' and input http://play.pokemonshowdown.com
  7. Now you have your username any color you'd like!

:]
A note: what should be done is to change the bar to "URLs starting with" first in the specify part. Also, a note is that this is client-side only, and doesn't effect the appearance in the upper-right corner.

Is it possible to order Pokemon in the teambuilder by their position in the Viability Rankings, rather than alphabetically.
I'm fairly certain that viability rankings are only stored on Smogon, not Showdown, and as such I'm not sure how this would best be done. Probably what this change would take is having some way for showdown to generate an list of viability ratings by pulling them from somewhere on Smogon on start up, and then this list could be used to achieve the sorting. That's a pretty involved change though, so you'd probably have to talk to an admin if you're really adamant that this is a good change.
Also I am concerned about whether or not this is even a positive change. Viability ratings are nice, but searching alphabetically is the fastest way to determine a Pokes location. Further, part of learning compeditive Pokemon involves using things that don't work so that you have a better understanding of what actually makes a Pokemon viable or not. If it is made so easily possible to mindlessly just select pokes towards the top of the viability list you're both risking the meta becoming more stale, as well as taking away an opportunity for newer users to learn.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Be able to see your Pokemon's happiness in Challenge Cup.

In the past few months we've gained the ability to see lots more information about your and your opponent's Pokemon. Players can see their Pokemon's stats as well as a range of Speeds for the opponent's Pokemon. Happiness is also a useful thing to know because Return and Frustration are so common in Challenge Cup, so players have to always decide if it's worth spending a turn finding out whether Return will do a good chunk or 1% damage.

Hi can we have a battle type to test out Pokemon XY 3-3 single battles (with the same ban range, same move bans)? I play 3-3 quite a bit and wanna test out various strategies thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)