Summer Freedom IV Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cougar hasn't responded to my PM and hasn't been on nb for two weeks =/

Siphai said:
Why would that be gay? You have to lose twice to be knocked out, and that should apply to everyone.
I don't know I always played double elimination tournies in another game and perfered it when it ended in a single game final. THe winners bracket playing every other round tends to even things out.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If it's double elimination, and the winner of the losers bracket has to beat the winner of the winners bracket only once, that means the winner of the winners will have lost once, not twice.

For a really sucky scenario, imagine if Groudon80 beats me round 1, and then goes on to be undefeated. Say I sweep the losers bracket, and we face each other in the final match, and win that match. If I don't have to beat him twice, then that means we will both have beaten the other 1 time, yet I win.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
End Battle! Floppy Disk [UU] wins!
Score: 5 to 0
Floppy Disk [UU]: I piss on little kids.

[22:22:37] <andiimon> tell the guy i was supposed to fight in the sf that i'll beat him later
[22:23:32] <goofball> Do I just post on the forum?
[22:23:37] <andiimon> yeh
[22:23:39] <goofball> saying you will battle him tomorrow?
[22:23:50] <andiimon> not tomorrow... just tell him to find me
[22:24:07] <andiimon> tell him to pm nate when he sees him on so nate can tell me to battle on irc
[22:24:15] <andiimon> coz i probably wont be on netbattle

meh andii lives in england so please excuse him its like 5 in the morning when you guys started battling I assume

Chronicles said:
No, I don't think it would help either. BEE's last activity on the PR server was on the 11th of May. From what I could gather from his occasional pop-ins on the PR forums, he's been really busy lately.

Obi2Kenobi said:
If it's double elimination, and the winner of the losers bracket has to beat the winner of the winners bracket only once, that means the winner of the winners will have lost once, not twice.

For a really sucky scenario, imagine if Groudon80 beats me round 1, and then goes on to be undefeated. Say I sweep the losers bracket, and we face each other in the final match, and win that match. If I don't have to beat him twice, then that means we will both have beaten the other 1 time, yet I win.
This is why the double win for the finals is in. In KW's case he was probably just better and he got unlucky in the first round. If you can win once, chances are you can win twice aswell. In the scenario that you described it would be 2 people of equal skill, and in that case I'd say that it is indeed more fair if the winner of the losers bracket has to beat the winner of the winners bracket twice.

No matter what, you have to lose twice in order to be eliminated, right?
So it would only be fair if this also applied to the person that didn't lose at all except in the final battle.

Another factor that goes into it is that the winner doesnt get any action for weeks while in the loser's bracket you constantly have to win which gives you more drive imo.

Well, by the looks of it, I won't be going too far this year...I really do need a counter for Meg.

End Battle! Fish wins!
Score: 0 to 4

Good game.

Actually Anyone (last year's winner of the winner's bracket) bitched about luck in one or both of the matches, but I didn't see how much that actually mattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)