'Sup fellow bibliophiles

one of my friends in high school a few years ago had a kindle and i made so much fun of her. i got the kindle touch with 3g and it's a breeze to use once you learn the controls. i tried out the kindle with the keyboard but i had no idea how to use it and it really just frustrated me. it's not exactly the same as reading a physical book, but it's similar and after 5 books with it, i've grown accustomed to it.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Kindle is amazing, for the sole reason you can lie on your side and dont have to worry about how to hold the book when you want to read the lowermost page.

The only thing that isnt way better than normal books about kindle is you cant lend your books out after you read them.

Paper books should probably be printed with each page printed twice, that would kinda solve that problem.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is my threadly plug for House of Leaves. You'll either think it's bullshit or the most extraordinary thing you've ever read, and I fall into the latter category. It's a book about a book about a movie about a house that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and like the plot the book is layered in such a way that you can approach it from a different angle each time you read it. It was a horror story the first time I read it, a love story the next time, then an account of one man's struggle with depression. The typographical style can be a turn off to some people, but I highly recommend the book to everyone.
You're my favorite. House of leaves is sooo awesome, some of the passages are just terrifying. I remember trying to figure out why they scared me but I couldn't ever quite figure it out. Its not that its scary, I've never really been afraid while reading a book, but I'd have to put House down cause I'd be totally freaked out, like I've never been before. The way that dude writes is amazing.

Yay! The op mentioned Kingkiller! I love that series, super cool.

I'm a HUGE fan of Orson Scott Card, I've read all of Ender and Bean's stories and have moved on to his Homecoming series, which is so enthralling I'll pick it up for a few minutes and find two hours have slipped by.

Unfortunately school has sucked up all my time atm :(

EDIT: Kindles rule!

I just really cannot focus on reading a lighted screen for hours on end. It bothers me. I also just really love the feel and smell of books. Give me paper books any day! (I'm such a bad environmentalist) :(

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My mums got one of the first kindles, and I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I laughed when I gave it to her for Christmas thinking "Why not just buy a book, this will never take off". They seem pretty damn popular now, so I was wrong there. I also borrowed it for a day or two on holiday, and I couldnt beleive how easy it was to use, and comfortable to hold. It seems really ergonomically thought out. You must admit, carrying that is infinitely easier than taking books with you!

I read things on my iPod touch all the time. It's more convenient than carrying around a book, but I just don't like it as much as actual books.

Anyway, back on topic... I've always been a fantasy/sci-fi reader. Lately, I've been reading Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series. Um... They're good? I'm not sure what else to say...

I just really cannot focus on reading a lighted screen for hours on end. It bothers me. I also just really love the feel and smell of books. Give me paper books any day! (I'm such a bad environmentalist) :(
that's the thing! aside from the kindle fire, e-readers like the kindle and the kindle touch use e-ink to show the words and pictures on the screen. this means it's not a lighted screen in the same way a nintendo ds or a cell phone screen or laptop screen or ipad screen would be. it strains your eyes the exact same amount that reading a paper book would.

i understand your point about the smell of books though. books have an awesome smell to them.

Ah, but see, that's the thing about the Kindle. It doesn't use the backlit LCD type screen that a laptop or iPad uses, that constantly refreshes. It generates a static image out of some special kind of ink, and it only refreshes when you turn a page or whatever.

I have difficulty reading documents on my laptop for a long time, but I have no such issues with the Kindle - it really is just like reading a paper page.

EDIT: Oh, beaten to it.

I too have a definite preference for the paper medium over e-readers, three reasons

1) I work on computers pretty much all day at work.
2) I honestly prefer the feel.
3) I fucking hate touch screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)