Super Cool Things, Inquire Inside

Hello Smogon RMT Forum! I was messing around with UU because OU is herp derp weather right now, I built myself my most successful team yet. I got to about 75 on the leaderboard, at about 1100 points, which I'd say is pretty good since I've been playing competetive for a couple weeks now. Anyway, after winning a grueling stall war, I fell way down the latter. However, I like the team, and am looking so improvements to make. So, let's get on with it, shall we?

Tangrowth@ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Att
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power ICE
-Leech Seed

Tangrowth is the first of my physical walls. I was originally looking to build a FWG core, and debated between Celebi, Roserade, and Tangrowth. Upon testing, Tangrowth's Regenerator ability was too good not to use. It can come in on most physical attacks and proceed to stall using Leech Seed and Giga Drain, and with Lefties, Tangrowth's getting a lot of HP back. When things are looking grim, Tangrowth can swich out to regain HP and be replaced with an according wall to continue tormenting my opponent. Oddly, I find myself not using Sleep Powder much, but it sure is helpful when I need to shut down something fast. Hidden Power ICE offers great coverage with Giga Drain, hitting Grass types immune to Leech Seed.

Slowbro@ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Att
-Thunder Wave
-Surf
-Psyshock
-Slack Off

Look familiar? After falling in love with Tangrowth, I knew I wanted Slowbro too. These two wall most physical attacks I find, switching out whenever the other one needs to heal. Thunder Wave is for status support, for things that can't be Poisoned, and dangerously fast threats. I chose Surf over Scald so it wouldn't unneccessarily burn something when another status would be more helpful, and to give it more offensive prescence. Psyshock is another STAB to hit on the physical side, so Special walls aren't such a pain in the ass. Psyshock is also helpful for taking down Fighting types, which Slowbro handles greatly. Slack Off is so he doesn't die as fast.

Zapdos@ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure (GameFreak release DW Zapdos already!)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Att
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power ICE
-Roost
-Roar

Another physical wall? Yes. This was originally a physically bulky Arcanine, but I found Zapdos does the job better. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power ICE are usual offensive options, while Roost is for healing. Roar phazes dangerous threats. Pretty self explanitory. Zapdos doesn't seem to take hits quite as well as the others, but his Ground immunity is really nice. An Electric immunity would be even better. Le sigh...

Empoleon@ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Calm
252 HP / 4 Sp.Att / 252 Sp.Def
-Stealth Rock
-Hydro Pump
-Grass Knot
-Roar

Empoleon was chosen for his great Special walling abilities and his awesome resistances, as well as being a great partner for Zapdos. Hydro Pump was chosen over Surf to scare my opponent a little more, and Grass Knot because I have too many Ice attacks already, though I have yet to use it. Roar is for when I get scared. Empoleon is meant to use his resistances to switch in on threats and set up Stealth Rock. Do to lack of a recovery move, Empoleon dies much faster than the others. As well as he pairs with Zapdos, I find he's not quite doing his job. I tried replacing him with Deoxys-D, but he was even worse. But I felt a Special wall was needed on my team of physical walls.

Chansey@ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Calm
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Def
-Aromatherapy
-Softboiled
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss

And speaking of Special walls, here's Chansey. I chose a Special walling spread because I have enough physical walls on my team, and she tanks Special hits way too well. Aromatherapy and Softboiled are chosen over Wish and Protect because my team hates status, so a cleric was needed to keep my walls fixed. Toxic is so Chansey can help the other walls do their job, as well as herself, and Seismic Toss is there so I'm not Taunt bait and I can actually damage things outside of Toxic. Chansey is invaluable, though a bitch to run into myself. One-on-one, this Chansey beats most other variants.

Froslass@ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Timid
252 HP / 4 Sp.Att / 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Protect
-Spikes
-Ice Beam

I was unsure what to do with this last slot. I was recommended Froslas for Spikes support, and she does a damn good job. Substitute and Protect help me stall out things, although it is much less effective without Hail. Speaking of Hail, Froslass laughs at those teams as she sets up precious Spikes. I'm not sure if I want to keep her around though. My team lacks a spinner, but Froslass prevents my hazards from bring spun, and provides my with free 25% damage to the majority of the metagame. The HP EVs allow Froslass to actually take a hit and set up Spikes, and Speed so she gets them down fast. She usually dies after getting Spikes up though, providing little to no late game utility.

So that's the team. Any criticism/advise is appreciated. Let me know what you guys think. Will update with a Threat List later. Thanks in advance!

THREAT LIST:
Most of my attacks are Special, so Chansey walks in with no probs. Essentially immune to status, while healing her teammates HP and Status, means she shuts down my efforts to wall her teammates.

Eviolite: Many Eviolite users are simply to bulky for my Pokemon to break through, often abusing status on me. Gligar isn't really an issue do to the amount of Ice type attacks I have, but I found myself having problems with Roselia and Gloom :/.

Sand: I didn't expect Sand to be that bad in UU, but it rips right through my team. With Speed/Power boosts, they just muscle their way through my walls, negating Leftovers all the way.

Substitute and NP variants alike just love setting up on Chansey, while desimating the rest of my team as they attempt to break the Sub, and when they do, she just sets up another one.

If you want to complete a FWG core, you could try a Choiced Rotom-H.
You lack a special sweeper/scouter, and I think Rotom-H could fit into your team nicely.
Take outFrosslass, since you already have SR, and most pokes don't really take damage from Spikes.

This is just my opinion.

This seems like more of a stall-oriented team, so I am surprised you do not have Toxic Spikes somewhere to aid with that. Unfortunately, the only team member I can think of replacing is Froslass, (for something like Roserade), but then that gets rid of your spinblocker.

@Zomeonez: I tried Specs Rotom-H with 4 HP / 252 Sp.Att / 252 Spe, with Volt Switch / Overheat / HP Fighting / Trick. It gave my team the offensive power I needed and hit a lot of threats hard. However, being Choiced and with Volt Switch, it was taking a lot of Stealth Rock damage that really shortened it's life. I'll test it further with a spinner, but I liked it.

@chanazn: Unfortunately, I didn't intend this to be a stall team, but rather bulky offense, and since I'm awful with EVs, I don't know how to portion out the EVs in offenses and defenses. I've tried Toxic Spikes in the past, however it ended up being wasted effort a lot of the time by having them either absorbed by Poison types or ignored by Steel and Flying types. If I replace Froslass with Roserade or Drapion, then I only have two special walls and I lose my spin blocker, giving the opposition another way to make my TSpikes worthless. I will try both Pokemon though and report back with the results.

Thank you both for your input. :)

I have currently run a stall/bulky team in UU so I think I can give you some suggestions.

First, as everyone said, Frosslass is the weakest link. You say you want it for spinblocking but Frosslass, as you said, often doesn't last the entire battle. For this reason, I'd suggest you replace it with Eviolite Misdreavus It can easily function as a special wall for this team, and has access to utility moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Perish Song, Taunt, Torment, Magic Coat, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, and even Mean Look. I personally use a Rest talk set with Perish Song and Shadow Ball, but a set with Pain Split can work equally as well.

Now that you lost spikes, I will suggest Deoxys-D over Slowbro. This will allow you to keep spikes and keep the defensive presence you had with Slowbro. The only thing you lack really is regenerator. It also has access to Taunt so it will make your Chansey problem a little better.

Good Luck with the team!

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
there aren't many physically oriented threats that zapdos + slowbro can't handle, so i honestly don't think you need tangrowth. with tangrowth out of the picture, you're free to add roserade, who can provide you with toxic spikes, which is almost needed if you want a chance at beating other defensive teams. just a tiny suggestion.

With 4 methods of recovery, Tangrowth would make a great user of Substitute. As well as making it Chansey proof with a point or two extra in speed, it provides an essentially free safety buffer against strong special attackers. This allows you to safely Sleep Powder or stall them out while Chansey's not around.

EDIT: Leaving threads open for ages ftl...

Empoleon has no EVs

You really don't seem to need Tangrowth. Toxic Spikes Roserade would be so much better there, since you already have physical walls in Slowbro and Zapdos (and Chansey). Speaking of chansey, you currently have absolutely no way of dealing with it, so Toxic Spikes would be really appreciated for your team. Also, I think your Froslass could be changed for a stalbreaker set. Taunt, Pain Split, WoW and Spikes should do, try out the bulky set on the analysis

Looks like a pretty cool team, but without Hail there doesn't seem to be much reason to run Substitute and Protect on your Froslass. I'd recommend using Taunt and Destiny Bond, your team seems quite stall-orientated and it'd probably help to have a better defense against other stall teams. Taunt shuts down opposing setup sweepers whilst Destiny Bond can be used to get you a free kill with the correct timing. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)