Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by alexwolf

General Stats:

Current tier: UU

Swampert: 100/110/90/85/90/60
Mega Swampert: 100/150/110/95/110/70

Abilities:
Torrent: This Pokemon's Water-type attacks are boosted when it is below 1/3 health
Damp: The moves 'Explosion' and 'Self Destruct' cannot be used when this Pokemon is in play
Swift Swim: Under rain, this Pokemon's Speed is doubled. (Exclusive to Mega-Evolution)

Usable Moves (STAB in Bold):

Waterfall
Earthquake

Ice Punch
Stone Edge
Superpower
Stealth Rock
Scald
Roar
Curse

Overview

Swampert is back in Generation 6 with a second chance in OU due to its new Mega Evolution that will be released with ORAS. This new Mega Evolution gives Swampert tremendous bulk, as well as a stupidly strong base 150 Attack stat. Swampert also now has Swift Swim as an ability, allowing it to hit with a STAB Waterfall under rain and sweep. Swampert, under rain, with only 156 Speed EVs, outspeeds everything up to Timid Mega Sceptile, which means Mega Swampert will outspeed every Pokemon in the tier and hit them hard. Furthermore, Swampert's unique STAB combination not only grants it good coverage and only one weakness, but it also means that Mega Swampert cannot be stopped short of its sweep by Thundurus's Prankster Thunder Wave, which is why rain sweepers such as Kabutops struggle to completely sweep teams. Swampert's great bulk also means that priority attacks from Pokemon such as Scizor and Talonflame (who does only 54%) will not always stop its sweep under rain. Given its extremely high Attack stat, great STABs and typing, Mega Swampert's new mega evolution is sure to give it a huge niche in OU and a place on teams.

Potential Movesets

Rain Sweeper

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp (Swift Swim)
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power Up Punch / Rain Dance

This uses Swampert's extremely high Attack stat and ability to perform a late-game sweep with its rain-boosted STAB Waterfall. Earthquake from Mega Swampert is also just as threatening, as it has a higher base power and covers threats that resist Waterfall. Ice Punch can pound most Grass-types not named Mega Venusaur, and it also hits Latios and Latias, who both laugh at Mega Swampert's other STABs. Rain Dance is manual rain setup, which lets you begin to sweep. This set also works well with Politoed, as Mega Swampert doesn't want to take most hits while setting up. The EVs outspeed Mega Sceptile.

Let's discuss how viable Mega Swampert will be this generation.​

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
#Mysteriasavestheday

On a side note, the EV spread on Mega Team Player in rain can be re-optimized to outspeed Timid Mega Sceptile. Also, would a Rain Dance 3 attack set be viable? Or a bulky non rain support set.

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
here is one of the best rainy offence mon I have many seen many ppl using this mon in rainy team I guess this mon going be A+ or maybe S for sure with its amazing Stats also typing water and ground with only one weakness this set is common as I have observed while laddering in Oras ou in rainy team

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp (Swift Swim)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Low kick

Shouldn't Swampert run superpower for walls like ferrothorn? SwampertMag could be interesting, with Magnezone taking out it's main counters (Ferro, Skar, Scizor etc) and then later setting up rain dance and letting swampert sweep.

Reactions: pj
You could probably run a politoed on the same team with damp rock to make rain longer, and you can free up the rain dance slot for superpower imo. That seems to work better, because 5 turns probably isn't enough for swampert to sweep, and missing out on superpower is sort of huge.
EDIT: Could an SR set be viable? It doesn't seem worth it to use your mega slot for a stealth rocks setter, but then again it's really bulky and counters lots of in OU like scizor, thundurus, tyranitar, excadrill(?), and many more.

Last edited:
Probably someone to deal with Rotom-W too, so maybe something like PoisonHealSubPunch Breloom lol? idk
Specs Magnezone can also hurt physically defensive Rotom-W really hard, and nails Ferro with HP fire.
Swampert probably won't replace kingdra in rain, because kindra can go mixed, and is very unpredictable, and special kingdra can nuke lots of stuff. Yeah but obviously this thing is going to replace seismitoad as the only swift swimmer that isn't screwed up by thundurus. It'll probably replace Kabutops or something, but it lacks the boosting item and SD. A rain team like politoed, mega swampert, keldeo, kingdra, ferrothorn, latios could be pretty good. Ferro could get up hazards, Latios clears them away while getting boosted surf, and mega swampert is a strong physical sweeper, kingdra is a strong special sweeper, and keldeo rain boosted hydro pump is pretty strong.

From my post in the ORAS discussion thread (there's more, but it gets more specific):

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature

That allows it to outspeed base 65 speed foes with speed boosting natures (ex Timid Goth, Jolly TTar) and 70 base speed foes with neutral natures (ex Adamant Bisharp). Alternately, 228 Jolly allows Swampert to outspeed Adamant Diggersby (base 78), and 244 Jolly allows Swamp to outspeed Adamant Dragonite and Adamant Mamoswine (base 80).

That's the basic speed tier info for Mega Swampert outside of the Rain. I'll post more thoughts later on in the week, but I figure I'd leave that here for now.

Last edited:
While it does seam a bit gimmicky / wasteful of potential, I think that a Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks set can be pretty fun to use. Mega Swampert is extremely bulky, with awesome 100 / 110 / 110 defense stats, so I don't think it's too out of the question that replacing Rain Dance with Stealth Rock is a bad idea. Being able to (most of the time) beat opposing leads (TTar, Hippowdon) is pretty nice, and I don't imagine that setting up Stealth Rock is going to be very worrisome when they can't really 2HKO you.

Edit @below: Sorry, I don't reread posts, and when you had edited that in, I wasn't reading it.

Last edited:
I agree that Rain Dance really shouldnt be slashed first in the fourth slot as Mega Swampert reaches it's fullest potential when used with Politoed, like other Swift Swim Sweepers. With that in mind, Swampert has a few interesting options for it's fourth slot. My personal favorite is Power-Up-Punch. Power-Up-Punch allows Swampert to boost its attackwhile still dealing out chip damage. The main problem with mega swampert is that while it may be powerful, it is slightly underwhelming. Power-Up-Punch fixes this and Swampert has the bulk to take a hit if needed. PuP works especially well if you know your opponent is gonna sack something to swampert too, as it makes them pay. Finally, the combination of PuP and then Earthquake does 77.5%-91.7% to standard Ferrothorn, meaning with some prior damage you can net the 2hko. Another cool option Swampert has is surprisingly toxic. Toxic cripples would be counters such as Gastrodon, Rotom-W, Chesnaught, and bulky walls in general in case swampert cant quite muscle through them. Swampert also has superpower, for the guaranteed 2hko against ferrothorn, or stealth rock if your team needs it. Finally, swampert could use rain dance as a plan b in case you lose your Politoed, but in reality it should almost always be teamed up with a toed.

Edit: Hydro Pump with an Adamant nature is a guaranteed 2hko against defensive skarmory. If you prefer the reliability, surf gets the guaranteed 2hko with an adamant nature after leftovers recovery with 44 sp atk evs. Reducing special defense could possibly be better than this (naughty nature), as surf is a guaranteed 2hko with no investment, but im too lazy to look at the exact stats and evs saved etc. so im not completely sure. Adamant hydro pump is probably better anyways

Last edited:
I agree that Rain Dance really shouldnt be slashed first in the fourth slot as Mega Swampert reaches it's fullest potential when used with Politoed, like other Swift Swim Sweepers. With that in mind, Swampert has a few interesting options for it's fourth slot. My personal favorite is Power-Up-Punch. Power-Up-Punch allows Swampert to boost its attackwhile still dealing out chip damage. The main problem with mega swampert is that while it may be powerful, it is slightly underwhelming. Power-Up-Punch fixes this and Swampert has the bulk to take a hit if needed. PuP works especially well if you know your opponent is gonna sack something to swampert too, as it makes them pay. Finally, the combination of PuP and then Earthquake does 77.5%-91.7% to standard Ferrothorn, meaning with some prior damage you can net the 2hko. Another cool option Swampert has is surprisingly toxic. Toxic cripples would be counters such as Gastrodon, Rotom-W, Chesnaught, and bulky walls in general in case swampert cant quite muscle through them. Swampert also has superpower, for the guaranteed 2hko against ferrothorn, or stealth rock if your team needs it. Finally, swampert could use rain dance as a plan b in case you lose your Politoed, but in reality it should almost always be teamed up with a toed.
With my experience in ORAS OU, I've only found Rain Dance to be good in the final slot because any other options would provide overlapping coverage, but PuP sounds interesting, so I'll slash it.

Minor nitpick: Mysteria , check the Overview. Right in the beginning, you mention "150 Special Attack", it should be just Attack.

I'd do all the fancy and correct quotings and boldings but mobile laziness :|

What exactly is EQ hitting that Superpower or waterfall won't hit harder?
It's a STAB, so it basically hits anything for good damage. Superpower lowers your main stat- Attack, isn't STAB, and Earthquake hits almost ANY target of Superpower for even better damage without the drop.. Earthquake also hits things Waterfall resists, such as Keldeo and Azumarill. Honestly that's an incredibly silly question, STAB Earthquake is great. It's probably the MOST standard thing on any swampert set :/

Also Earthquake is way more spammable than Superpower, and anything that resists water will basically wall you because neutral superpower is weaker than STAB neutral earthquake, so in general earthquake is probably better. Also by running superpower you are completely walled by jellicent which albeit rare, is still sometimes used to counter keldeo.

Yeahhh in retrospect that was a massive derp. I don't know why i thought replacing it's stab was a good idea, i think i thought forgot that it was a ground type. *sigh. Oh well, sorry guys.

On another note, damp rock tornadus i is a niche option as a partner, as Mega Swampert really appreciates flying stab as well an emergency rain to get it into revenge. I don't think tornadus should be used as a main rain setter, but it would be nice in clutch situations, clearing the way for a sweep w/o wasting a turn setting up rain dance, as well as, again, having a stab that complements Mega Swampert. Other more viable pokemon carry flying stab, but its still a nice niche.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Has anyone tried a 3 attacks + Toxic set on M-Swampert? I'm just wondering cause I've been thinking about building a team around it because two of the most common things I see that switch into M-Swampert are Rotom-W and Slowbro. At least then they can't switch for free. Kind of curious more outside of rain cause rain is rain so you should just be applying offensive pressure anyways.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone tried a 3 attacks + Toxic set on M-Swampert? I'm just wondering cause I've been thinking about building a team around it because two of the most common things I see that switch into M-Swampert are Rotom-W and Slowbro. At least then they can't switch for free. Kind of curious more outside of rain cause rain is rain so you should just be applying offensive pressure anyways.
I haven't tried that, but running toxic on offensive pokes such as mega swampert, mamoswine, mega lopunny, etc is always cool to lure in stuff like rotom-w.

Just a side note on the EV spread : 96 + 252 + 156 = 504, 4 EVs are missing

And Timid Mega Sceptile hits 427 speed with 252 EVs, MegaPert hits 214 speed with only 152 EVs and then, 428 under the rain. So 152 speed EVs shouldn't be enough ?

Sorry if I sound silly, but this is just a little thing who was picking me off ^^"

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a side note on the EV spread : 96 + 252 + 156 = 504, 4 EVs are missing

And Timid Mega Sceptile hits 427 speed with 252 EVs, MegaPert hits 214 speed with only 152 EVs and then, 428 under the rain. So 152 speed EVs shouldn't be enough ?

Sorry if I sound silly, but this is just a little thing who was picking me off ^^"
Yeah, agreeing with this. The best set IMO is an all out attacker:

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Basically praj.prans set but with a more effective EV spread to make better use of its decent bulk while being able to outpspeed timid mega sceptile in the rain.

You should probably make it 228 or 224 speed evs (whatever outspeeds max speed scarf lando-t), and add low kick/superpower as an option in the last slot. Nailing ferrothorn is very crucial on most rain teams.

Do you guys think it is worth putting enough speed to outspeed non-scarfers or rather just max speed to not even care about anything that could outspeed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)