Team Tyranitar (OU RMT)

Hello. I’ve been battling for about a month now, and I’ve made what I think is an almost decent team. Although I did very well the first few times I battled, more and more tough players made me rethink my team and this is what I have come up with. It was doing well, but I have hit a plateau where I have about a 1:1 win loss ratio. If anyone can help me get this team rolling and (hopefully) get me a winning record, that would be great! Anyway, I’ve done my best to build this team around Tyranitar, my favorite Poke, and use him to sweep. So here it is…

Changes in bold

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

I’ll start with Swampert. He has been an amazing lead, and has never failed to get up the rocks, whether it be early or mid game. He takes on Metagross, who would otherwise give Tyranitar a very hard time. The moves are pretty standard. Protect lets me scout possible Grass moves, heal with Leftovers, and allow Sandstream to take it's toll on my opponent. Earthquake/Hydro Pump for stab, and Stealth Rocks for my sweepers. He is definitely an appreciated member of my team.

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt

Jolteon has helped me with a lot of unsuspecting opponents and goes on "mini-sweeps" as I call them. She gives great coverage and revenge kills many problem Pokes that don't expect the firepower behind her. She also covers for Gyarados when the obvious Thunderbolt is coming. I thought about a Sub-Passer because of Boah, but the coverage is too much to give up. Signal Beam is staying, because a 2HKO on Celebi isn't enough for me. Without Jolteon, Celebi can take on my entire team, With moves such as Grass Knot, HP Fire, and the occasional Psychic.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor

A new test for me. SD Scizor is a very competent sweeper, just like Lucario. It was suggested to me to use Scizor over Lucario, and the typing advantage is very nice to have. I'm considering Roost, but then I lose coverage for survivability, but again, I like testing new things, so I'll give it a try. Scizor works well in tandem with TTar, as both like to draw each other's counters out, as august stated.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

RestTalk Gyara has been very useful when it comes to status absorbsion and covering fighting moves. When I fake for the Dragon Dance sweeper, everyine freaks out and tries to paralyze me or explode (and this thing lives through most explosions at full health) and I just laugh until they realize it's not meant to sweep. Roar is a great addition which I didn't think of before (thanks, Haunter). It also allows Swampert to run Protect for his own reasons. Very useful; I've also tried Machamp but the typing advantage of Gyara is very important to my team.

Weezing (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt

I know, I know. I seem very ignorant for sticking with Weezing, even though many of you like Latias more, but for some reason, this guy just works. I just can't handle some threats without the stinkball. Threats he stops are:Metagross, Gyara, Salamence, Scizor, Abomasnow (who is actually quite annoying), Lucario, Machamp, and so on. He's a very useful part of the team, and even if I'm the only person who likes to use him, that's OK.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
Tyranitar (M) @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 176 SpA / 28 Spe
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Punch

When I played Pokemon Gold years ago, Tyranitar was always the Poke I would use to sweep Red or the entire Elite Four. Now that I’ve tried out competitive battling, I wanted to duplicate that, or at least include him in on breaking down other teams. I'm trying out many versions, and each one has different success, depending on how the other team is prepared for it. Boah's fun to use, especially when stall my opponent is trying to stall or just can't come up with a good counter. Setting up is extremely easy, especially with this team that has been built around him. He works just as well as DDTar, who I like to juggle around with to keep things fresh. At any rate, he's awesome, and an irreplaceable member of my team.

Also testing:

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake/Taunt
- Stone Edge

Notes:
-Anyone on my team is replaceable if you guys have better ideas, which I’m sure you do.
-That said, T-Tar is not, but if something like CB, Boah, or even as a lead looks better, then I’m all for trying it out.
-I play on NetBattle. I don’t know if this makes a difference, but I can’t get Shoddy to work on my computer. NetBattle sucks, because so many people abuse a “free turn glitch”, but it’s better than nothing.
-Please be nice. I’m still new at this, so don’t say this team is terrible (although it isn’t the best). I’ve put a lot into this, but now I need help to make it better!

Thanks for reading!

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hello.

Running Substitute Calm Mind Raikou in a team with Tyranitar is just asking for trouble. Sandstream severely hinders Raikous attemps to sweep because it cancels out Leftovers recovery. Raikou will also prove to be absolute deadweight against stall since the only time it can really afford to go for a setup is against Rotom-a and most stall teams carry Hippowdon / Swampert to easily force it out. Stall is also a huge problem in general to your team because nothing in particular can really beat stall apart from Tyranitar, who is countered by Swampert and Hippowdon and even if they are absent, it will be worn down from Spikes / Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes rather quickly.

That being said, Dragon Dance Tyranitar and Swords Dance Lucario is very difficult for many teams to counter since they are both physical powerhouses that constantly have oppurtunities to set up. Swords Dance Luke and DDTar are also countered by the same stuff, meaning that if one can manage to KO the counter, the other one can also sweep. DDTar is also an excellent switch into Luke checks like Zapdos, ScarfTran, and Scarf Rotom H. Therefore, I recommend Lucario over Raikou.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance

Next off, I second the suggestion of Latias over Mesprit. With a Choice Scarf Latias can easily revenge kill DDGyarados, DDSalamence, and provide a nice check to mixed and Swords Dance Infernape. Trick will also help you cripple stall teams. Latias' Pursuit weakness may actually be good in this case, since Lucario and Tyranitar can both easily set up on choice locked Pursuits. Latias' weakness' are covered by Luke + Tar, and Latias resists Fighting, Water, Fire, and has a ground immunity meaning it covers both Luke and Tyranitar's weakness'. Trick can help in many situations, such as a Snorlax getting too many Curses.

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP/176 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Trick

Also, since Mesprit was a prime fighting resist and Latias does not have recovery, I think you should make Gyarados a Restalk Dragon Dancer with a spread of 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Speed. It will provide an excellent check to Scizor, Lucario, and give you a general fighting resist which always proves useful. Restalk also means you have a reliable status absorber that can also sweep once the floors have been mopped by Lucario and Tyranitar. A status absorber also means you can now run Leftovers on Swampert over Lum Berry so you can switch in on more mons and get the extra 6% every turn, because trust me, it's useful.

Good luck!

EDIT: The user below me is incorrect, Tyranitar does 118.86% - 140.21% with Fire Punch after a DD.

Impressive, here's an idea!

I have played with DD Tyranitar many times and he hasn't failed to amuse me every time. I'm surprised how gamebreaking he is, CB Tyranitar is completely outclassed in my opinion, since Tyranitar forces switches like insanity. I have learned from experience that if running a Jolly Nature, you do outrun those threats, which is vital. In place of Fire Punch, I used Earthquake, as this allowed me to OHKO Lucario after a DD, whereas Fire Punch would fail to do this and I would be KO'ed by CC. Not that Lucario is going to stop Tyranitar, or be useful late game after he is sufficiently weakened, but I knew Fire Punch was only useful against Bronzong, and Bronzong OHKOs with Gyro Ball after you DD anyway, so you would switch anyway. Earthquake has more power behind it and has a better chance of success at killing Machamp. Besides, Skarmory takes about the same amount of damage from Fire Punch as he does from Stone Edge, and even then he will live and then Whirlwind you away. However, I guess Fire Punch does have one specific good point, but only if a) you can predict Scizor coming in, or b) you are using a Babiri Berry. Sorry man, but Bullet Punch from CB Scizor or even Life Orb Scizor will OHKO without HP or Defense investment. I don't believe I have ever decided to stay in against Scizor with Tyranitar, unless I predicted he would use U-Turn, then I decided to OHKO with Stone Edge. I thought the important thing was the damage output. I also tried using Ice Beam specifically to kill Gliscor who will survive any of your attacks, but when it comes to countering only one specific threat, hands down, generally using something else is better. But you have done one thing I haven't done, made a team worthy of DD Tyranitar's spot.
Good Luck!

Using a Gyarados without Waterfall just seems wrong. With Ice Fang and EQ, what are you going to hit Skarmory with while you try to set up on it? After Gyarados takes SR damage, Skarm can Brave Bird you down until you are easily killed with a priority attack. Meanwhile you will be hitting him with a 65BP Ice Fang which is NVE. August's RestTalk Gyara seems alot more useful as he can come in on Lucarios and Scizor that threaten your team.

Wow wow wow. I can't believe this great input from you guys. Thanks so much!

august: I did what you said about replacing Raikou with Lucario. You are absolutely right. He is amazing along with Tyranitar. Speaking of Tyranitar, I also gave Boah a shot. He is doing very well, especially when people bring in counters and I set up a Sub! Amazing, and ends games. Anyway, about Latias. I like the idea, but after testing, I've found Specs Jolteon to be a bit more effective. Not only does he kill of Celebi, he absorbs T-Bolts aimed for Gyarados. The set is this:

Jolteon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 HP/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Grass)

I was thinking of making a Sub-Passer to pass to Boah, but I don't want to lose the ability to take on Celebi and Swampert, among others, with this one set.
Anyway, I would like some input on these changes, and I will keep testing and modifying on my own. I have also worked with that RestTalk Gyara, thanks a lot for that. Slapping Dragon Dance on him makes a big difference.

DarkCyberElf: You make a very interesting point. I like the Earthquake idea, and I might test it out. I've also use Taunt on DD T-Tar, and it worked wonders, but Scizor forced me out. I may try Earthquake, Taunt, and possibly Substitute just to see how it goes. I'll juggle Boah and DD Tar around to see what's most effective. The former has been amazing at putting opponets in checkmate positions and has won me a few games. Great stuff coming from him.

xWOLFYx: You're right. I made these changes and it works much better.

Thanks everyone, I'll post changes later. I would like more input on these, especially what you think about Boah and Jolteon. Also, what do you think of poossibly using Scizor over Lucario?

haunter

Banned deucer.
Got your PM,

this team seems pretty good actually. I definitely second August's suggestion of a rest talking Gyara, but I'd prefer roar over DD for several reasons: firstly because you already pack enough sweepers on your team, hence DD on Gyara is not exactly needed, and secondly because without roar you're giving Salamence, Dragonite and opposing Gyarados the chance to set up on you, and that may be deadly for an offensive team like yours. If you follow my advice, then move the Spe EVs to Def.

Weezing is really a mediocre counter for Salamence, as a life orb'd draco meteor can ohko it, also, since Gyarados is already covering almost all of TTar's weaknesses, I don't see how it can help your team. I'd definitely give a try to the scarf-Latias suggested by August. It can work nicely even when paired with Jolteon. She would provide a good check for Gyarados, a sure revenge killer for Salamence and Dragonite, and an excellent pursuit bait for things like CB TTar and Scizor, meaning that you'll be able to set up your sweepers on them.

Definitely fix your EVs on Lucario, I hope that's just a typing mistake... be sure to run an adamant nature and an EV spread of 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.

I'd definitely try baton pass on Jolteon: dry passing may be really useful to scout for your opponent's counter for Jolteon and switch in accordingly. You may replace signal beam which is really useful only for Celebi, which, by the way, is already 2hko'd by shadow ball.

Good luck with your team!

Thanks for responding, Haunter! I'll try Latias more now that you made the point about Special or mixed attackers that Weezing can't take on, I didn't think about that.

If I run Roar on Gyarados, I'm going to try protect on Swampert for random Azelfs with Energy Ball/Grass Knot. I can't handle Ninjask without Roar, but then again, I think only need one pseudo-hazer.

Ya, Lucario's EV's were a mistake... my bad.

I would really like to keep Signal beam for the OHKO on Celebi, but I'll try anything. Thanks!

This team seem to have a problem with stall. One word "boah" my old sandstorm was like yours I tried to make dragon dance work with tyranitar, but it didn't for some reason, I tried different sets, I tried superpower I tried a salac berry and endure, but it wasn't working.

I was suggested boah and shrugged it off, but I tried it out once, and god it works, physical walls stay in like forretress and are OHKOed by fire blast, fire blast even OHKO's skarmory, after seeing dark pulse, sub and fire blast, the oponent send in blissey, FOCUS PUNCH, handles those special walls.

Other sugestions:
- grass knot over t-bolt on latias more devistating, no loss of coverage and allows you to counter swampert
- Suicune over gyrados, suicune has superior defences and sp.def, also intimidate only changes the damadge to 2/3 of it's original, it doesn't half it when it goes down, and suicune add some sp atk to your team. Or get dragon dance if t-tar goes boah
- Scizor over lucario, no fighting and ground weaknes, still do a sword dance life orb pritoty sweep, except with more power and not destoyed by gengar
- Lead aerodactyl over swampert if the other changes are made, as you don't have a rapid spinner and aerodactyl can stop rocks going up.
-

Thanks, george182.

I really like using Boah, and if you think he fits better on this team, I'll use him (I've used him with a lot of success before). My only problem is deciding what moves to use, as in Ice Beam or Flamethrower. I'll juggle it around and see.

I like Suicune, but know I'm iffy about using legendaries. I don't know why, but it's one of the reasons I was avoiding Latias at first (I know I was using Rakou and Mesprit at first, but I've tried to change that). I was also thinking about Slowbro because Machamp is somewhat of a problem, especially if it carries Thunderpunch, which usually OHKO's Gyara.

I'll definitly give Scizor a go, I like using the bug. I was wondering if he'd be better, thanks for that suggestion.

Honestly, I don't like Aerodactyl at all. I've tried him a few times, and, at least to me, was useless at most points of the game outside of Stealth Rock. I'm not a fan of suicide leads because I don't like the idea of a deadweight Poke or starting the battle 5 to 6 with the only advantage of having the rocks up. But thats just my preference, and the way I like to play (with all my pokes alive).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)