ORAS OU TestingDownward's Bird Team

In case you don't know who adman2 is, I mainly play as SaunterDownwards and TestingDownwards on Showdown.

I was fond of heavily offensive teams ever since my Pokemon Pearl Rain Dance Wifi team. My Wifi "double dragon" team of Garchomp and Haxorus back in early BW was a lot of fun for me too. Nothing was immune to Dragon then, so you could overpower everything with Outrage after the enemy's Steel type was eliminated. Now that Gamefreak has made the Fairy type, such silliness is much less viable now. Flying types have filled that power vacuum in XY and ORAS. My team so far has done well on the lower ladder, but falters when confronted with common threats.

The team as it was when I slapped it together:

Swellow @ Toxic Orb, Guts

252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defense, Jolly

Facade
Brave Bird
Protect
U-Turn

Swellow is one of the main sweepers of the team Guts Facade is stronger than Brave Bird on neutral hits, and without that nasty recoil. Brave Bird is for super-effective hits or the occasional Gengar or Scizor. U-Turn provides momentum if Swellow is faster and runs into a bad matchup. The problem is, Normal and Bug do not complement Flying very well, and Swellow will often have to sit there until late game. Stealth Rock damage, Brave Bird recoil, and poison damage wear it down quickly too. However, the real problem is Scarfers and priority. Raw Speed doesn't carry you as far as it used to. Scarfed Keldeo and Landorus-Therian scare him the most. Should I switch it out for Mega Pinsir, Staraptor, or another Flying type I haven't mentioned?

Talonflame @ Choice Band, Gale Wings

252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP, Adamant

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Steel Wing
U-Turn

Talonflame is the star of the team. Choice Band makes for a good revenge killer as well as sweeping in the late game. Flare Blitz gives it the coverage Swellow could only wish for. Stealth Rock is the bane of any Fire/Flying type, and Steel Wing is a filler move in case I run into a rare Diancie. However, it can be played around easily like all Choice users. All of its most powerful moves are recoil as well. Should I try a bulky or Swords Dance set to solve this problem?

Latias @ Mega Stone, Levitate

248 HP, 252 Special Attack, 8 Special Defense, Modest

Defog
Roost
Draco Meteor
Psyshock

I'm not so good at EVing myself, so I mainly rely on Showdown's questionable spreads. This is meant to get rid of entry hazards, and occasionally hit hard with Draco Meteor. Of course, Steel and Fairy types are common enough that its coverage with Psyshock is limited. Perhaps I should change the nature and Special Attack EVs into Special Defense, and maybe swap out Draco Meteor if it's going to stay in longer. The Mega Stone might go too if the team raters think something else can serve the Mega Evolution slot better. U-Turns, Bisharp Pursuits, and other things hurt Latias. Still, it helps to have a Defogger that isn't weak to Rock or Electric and can take Special attacks.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers, Sand Stream

252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Attack, Careful

Stone Edge
Earthquake
Roar
Crunch

I've experimented a bit with this Tyranitar. Crunch used to be Stealth Rock, for example. Sandstorm is mainly there for the Special Defense boost, which only Focus Blasts can get through. It is meant to counter Talonflame, Latias, Volcarona, and other things that might cause problems with this team. As with most team members, Bisharp is a serious problem. Earthquake is mainly for Heatran. A pretty valuable member of the team, I think.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf, Magnet Pull

252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power Fire
Volt Switch

Many players on the ladder underestimate how big of a threat Magnezone is. I don't see as many Skarmorys now, but I've taken out Ferrothorns, Scizors, and even the odd Bisharp or Klefki with this thing. It can revenge kill a weakened Mega Metagross if needed too. Magnezone is a great complement to Flying sweepers. The Scarf is there if it needs to take out fast Water or Flying types. I often lead with Magnezone, as some people send their Steel types first, or it can Volt Switch out, assuming the lead is not the ubiquitous Landorus Therian. Some players higher on the ladder have wised up and put Shed Shell on their Ferrothorns and Skarmorys, making for a much more difficult battle.

And for the true weak link and least valuable player on this team *drumroll*

HITMONTOP! @ Leftovers, Intimidate

252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Attack, Impish

Rapid Spin
Hi Jump Kick
Stone Edge
Mach Punch

This thing is easily the worst member of the team. I thought it would be good for a backup to Latias's entry hazard removal, as well as dealing with Tyranitar and bulky Normal types. The problem is, either Hitmontop or my spread for him seems rather weak even with Hi Jump Kick, which also has bad consequences for missing. Even with its bulky spread and Intimidate, physical attackers tend to wear him down pretty quickly. I know I want to replace him, but what might be a good teammate? A true "jack of all trades, master of none". With this Hitmontop build, emphasize the "master of none" part.

Are there any major threats that I haven't accounted for here? What changes might take this team to the top of the ladder?

EDIT: Garchomp and Mega Sableye are problems for this team too. Mega Sableye can Will-O-Wisp Tyranitar, Knock Off items, and laugh at Hitmontop. Garchomp can Earthquake Tyranitar and Magnezone, Outrage Latias, and Stone Edge the Flying types. You can see an example of this team's weaknesses here:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-205011151

Last edited:
That replay though...

Changes
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: (Whatever is left) HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe (might be more, but I know it isn't full speed.)
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Taunt

Standard Wall-breaker Talonflame

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
248 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Def
Careful Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Punch
-Roar
-Pursuit / Crunch

Hazards break Sturdy / Focus Sash, must have for any offensive team.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
32 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

Paired with T-tar, you have your best revenge killer with RS access.

Swellow needs to be replaced, Toxic killing yourself is not helpful.

That replay though...

Changes
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: (Whatever is left) HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe (might be more, but I know it isn't full speed.)
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Taunt

Standard Wall-breaker Talonflame

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
248 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Def
Careful Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Punch
-Roar
-Pursuit / Crunch

Hazards break Sturdy / Focus Sash, must have for any offensive team.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
32 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

Paired with T-tar, you have your best revenge killer with RS access.

Swellow needs to be replaced, Toxic killing yourself is not helpful.

I'm guessing Excadrill is meant to be the Hitmontop replacement, given that it has Rapid Spin. That sounds like a good idea, as it can take advantage of Sandstorm and hit Fairies, which are a major problem that I've faced.

What would be a good replacement for Swellow? Pidgeot and Pinsir would take up the mega slot, and Staraptor is slower. Maybe Hawlucha?

Thanks for the advice. I'm better at Random Battle than OU, since teambuilding is a bit hard for me.

It seems random battles are rigged against me, i win 1/20 times; OU it is about 4 to 1.

Pinsir would be fine, just change Latias to:

Latias @ Life Orb (makes it more powerful than its Mega Form)
Ability: Levitate
96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Defog
-Recover / Healing Wish (the main reason Latias is used over Latios.)
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)