The Characteristics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hyra said:
Okay, so it takes the highest IV and divides by 5. If the remainder is 0, it shows the Mod 1 description for that stat. Remainder 1, Mod 2 and so on. Am I right?
Kind of. Reminder 0 = description 1, remainder 1 = description 2. The remainder on divison by 5 is what is known as "mod 5". If you're still confused you can consider modulus as an operator, call it "%", and we have:
25 % 5 = 0
26 % 5 = 1
27 % 5 = 2
28 % 5 = 3
29 % 5 = 4
30 % 5 = 0
...etc.

Hyra said:
So that's means that the second description for each stat indicates a perfect IV. What happens if you have multiple perfect IVs?
According to an earlier poster in this thread, who said one of his pokemon had a perfect DV, it's the first. So maybe they're listed randomly in that list, or cycled in some fashion.

Okay, so it takes the highest IV and divides by 5. If the remainder is 0, it shows the Mod 1 description for that stat. Remainder 1, Mod 2 and so on. Am I right?

So that's means that the second description for each stat indicates a perfect IV. What happens if you have multiple perfect IVs?
It divides by 5 and gets the remainder (the modulus). If the remainder is 0, the mod is 0, and it shows the discription for a returned value of 0. Remainder 1 mod 1, remainder = mod.

Someone said it picks a random IV if there is a tie for the highest IV.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah, that was me. I have a couple of perfect IVed pokemon from WiFI trades and they don't show the same message. Maybe they just get randomized, or the game looks into the nature as a second way of determining

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Jibaku said:
Yeah, that was me. I have a couple of perfect IVed pokemon from WiFI trades and they don't show the same message. Maybe they just get randomized, or the game looks into the nature as a second way of determining
Or we're wrong. So then, I suppose it has nothing to do with modulus if this is true.

well with this discovery, this is what I got-

Budew-MAX thing is Def
Starly-Max thing is HP
Piplup-Max thing is HP
Shinx-Max thing is Sp.atk-and its Jolly><

So is this basically the new version of the Breeding Master in Emerald?

Say I got an Rash Chimchar with flawless Speed for the IV. Would the characteristic say that "It loves to run"?

And why was this not discovered until the US Release date? I find it weird that Serebii didn't mention it...

what about the second line? my turtwigs says "somewhat stubborn" and "happily eats anything" does this have something to do with its berry preference?

Say I got an Rash Chimchar with flawless Speed for the IV. Would the characteristic say that "It loves to run"?
The message for max speed appears to be "Alert to sounds", my max Spd Salamence (also max SAtk) has the message.

Also all the 31 Atk things I have say "likes to thrash about."

EDIT: Well, this Chimchar I bred that "likes to thrash about" killed my theroy by having 24-26 atk IVs.
what about the second line? my turtwigs says "somewhat stubborn" and "happily eats anything" does this have something to do with its berry preference?
Yes.

EDIT: Well, this Chimchar I bred that "likes to thrash about" killed my theroy by having 24-26 atk IVs.
31 % 5 = 1
26 % 5 = 1

If the messages are based on modulus 5 with each answer corresponding to one of the values (0,1,2,3,4) Then it would make sense that you got the same message. In fact 1,6,11,16,21,26,31 would all give the same message, of course they would have to be the highest stat in the first place for it to display.

that kinda sucks though if your poke has low IV's all around. you might think you have something with perfect IV's only to see it have 6's or 11's all around >.<

It could be used to confirm IVs. Like in the example above he said 24-26, but this characteristic pointed to 26.

Also could be used as a real quick glance, right after you hatch you can look to see what is the highest stat, and could then quickly tell if it could be a flawless, or from this immeditately know that it is not.

Also could be used as a real quick glance, right after you hatch you can look to see what is the highest stat, and could then quickly tell if it could be a flawless, or from this immeditately know that it is not.
The problem with this is that eggs hatch at Lv. 1 now, and a lot of the time it looks like the IVs for most stats on most things I've bred could be anything 1-31.

Hey, i don't have the game (Euroopeee! Euuuurooooppeee! EUROPE! Fuck no!) yet but i think it may be usefull to calculate HP type and power... But i don't get the whole thing, so meh... (I don't even know if it displays it for every stat or only one... :( )

The problem with this is that eggs hatch at Lv. 1 now, and a lot of the time it looks like the IVs for most stats on most things I've bred could be anything 1-31.
True, but if the modulus theory is right then 1,6,11,16,21,26,31 IV wil provide the same text. So if the IV is any of the other 24 possiblities it won't be the same text. Meaning it can't have any flawless IVs, which allows you to rule it out without having to use rare candies.

Albeit for the times that it is the correct statement you would have to rare candy to confirm. And even in those cases it will help because it can be used to narrow it down faster (eg you know the IV is between 28-31, well if the characteristic says 31, then you know earlier)

@up
Checking IV's of freshly born pokeyman isn't much problem, thanks to option in online battling that makes all pokemon level 100/50 IIRC.

@edit
Crap, i just noticed that this post renders my previous one useless :E

Bit more proof on the modulus theory: I got a Cranidos off the GTS with the "Likes to thrash about" characteristic, and it had 21 IVs in Atk.

From my understanding of Japanese, the link posted earlier indeed says that only the highest IV will be "displayed" (そのポケモンの一番高い個体値を5で割った余りで決定される). The text between the bolded parts is about the modulus thingy.

However, they seem not to EXACTLY know what happens when multiple IVs are maximum either, so they whipped up three hypotheses:
- Stat priority (優先順位があり); if so, probably HP>Attack>Defense>Speed>Sp.Atk>Sp.Def, or reversed.
- Stat picked at random (ランダム); this might be referring to the four-byte personality value (responsible for gender, natures, abilities, Unown shape, Wuemple's evolution and Spinda's spots).
- Lowest base stat gets priority (最高個体値の種族値の低い方).

Can anyone translate
"Kakekko ga suki"?
"It likes *something*" Unfortunately, I have no idea what "kakekko" is.

Also, I can pretty much confirm that "Is alert to sounds" means a 31 (or at least very high) IV in speed, as all the Pokemon I've been breeding that have a 31 in speed are alert to sounds

In any case, this probably won't be of much use. Although I can see a situation where you can check whether or not your newly bred Gabite has a 31 Speed IV with the message "Alert to sounds". Of course, it could also be any one of the other stats with the same module. Which is why Characteristics aren't all that helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)