The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh, I really don't think the Jets deserve to be in the playoffs. I still don't understand how they managed to get into a position where they could control their own destiny, with how badly they've played. Yes, the Steelers have lost some games to pretty bad teams, but they were never blown out or outplayed, and most of the time they won the stats battle but killed themselves with turnovers. I would rather see the Texans in the playoffs than the Jets.

Oh well, hopefully Cincy and New England will be competing for that 3rd seed so they'll beat the Jets and the Texans, opening the door for Pittsburgh to grab that 6th seed with a win (I hope) over Miami. Thank God the Ravens also beat Denver this year to activate the head-to-head sweep tiebreaker if it comes down to us 3. Unless my math is wrong, if Pittsburgh wins and Houston/New YorkJ lose the Steelers will nail the 6th seed. Hell, they could even get the 5th seed if Baltimore loses to Oakland, but I'm not holding my breath on that one lol.

Also, I don't think Cincy will lose on purpose so they get to play the Jets instead of the Steelers, because a loss will likely put them into the 4th seed, pitting them against the 5th seed opponent (likely Baltimore, not New York).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Let's be honest: none of the AFC wild card teams will deserve to be in the playoffs.
I don't know about that, I think if Houston or Baltimore get in they'll be relatively deserving. Pittsburgh is a playoff-caliber team but they aren't really deserving by virtue of the way they've given up the games they have. The Broncos are alright as well, but their offense is too conservative to make them a big threat. The rest of the teams are nowhere close, though.

Eh, I really don't think the Jets deserve to be in the playoffs. I still don't understand how they managed to get into a position where they could control their own destiny, with how badly they've played. Yes, the Steelers have lost some games to pretty bad teams, but they were never blown out or outplayed, and most of the time they won the stats battle but killed themselves with turnovers. I would rather see the Texans in the playoffs than the Jets.

Oh well, hopefully Cincy and New England will be competing for that 3rd seed so they'll beat the Jets and the Texans, opening the door for Pittsburgh to grab that 6th seed with a win (I hope) over Miami. Thank God the Ravens also beat Denver this year to activate the head-to-head sweep tiebreaker if it comes down to us 3. Unless my math is wrong, if Pittsburgh wins and Houston/New YorkJ lose the Steelers will nail the 6th seed. Hell, they could even get the 5th seed if Baltimore loses to Oakland, but I'm not holding my breath on that one lol.

Also, I don't think Cincy will lose on purpose so they get to play the Jets instead of the Steelers, because a loss will likely put them into the 4th seed, pitting them against the 5th seed opponent (likely Baltimore, not New York).
Its not even that theyve played so bad.... Their D/Run game has been top in the league, its just their QB/Special Teams has failed them. They could of eaily been a 10+ win team this year, but those two factors failed them in so many games this year. If their special teams just hits 2/3 field goals against the Falcons they pretty much lock up a playoff spot right now

colts are so wrong in this situation, in every situation. i am so shocked that i am going to rant on every reason why they made a terrible desicion

1.) momentum - this is pretty simple, going undefeated is going to give you the mojo of "we can't be beat". yes, it could lead to them becoming too overconfident, but with peyton manning controlling things, i doubt it

2.) rememberance: quick, as a casual sports fan, who won super bowl 8, 17, and 30? can you do it, without looking it up? probably not. Now what is the team that went undefeated in the 72 season, the 07 regular season? if the colts went undefeated they would always be remembered, (i doubt 16-0 is ever going to happen again, the 07 patriots are possibly the greatest team ever assembled). if they win the super bowl? uh, thats a great accomplishment but a team wins it every year...

3.) fans - honestly, what fan wants to sit to what basically becomes a preseason-type blowout to their favorite team? The fans wanted 16-0, and they paid money for their tickets. why let them boo you.

4.) past - hey, do you remember when the colts rested starters and won the super bowl? oh, neither did I. That's because this has happened before, again and again where they rest starters early, and then lose in the playoffs. The one year they won the super bowl, they did not rest their starters, they had to play them through.

5.) completely ruining the season for some teams. - um, believe it or not colts, the jets were still in the playoff hunt. and after you lost to them, they now control their own destiny. if they win, they are in. sucks for the texans, steelers, broncos, and ravens, as one of those teams will be screwed out of the playoffs, assuming that at least two of them go 9-7. The jets should be 7-8, i don't think they really had a chance at all until painter came in. you made a complete mockery of the playoff race imo =/

6.) rested ... too much - the colts had hit a stride, now they are likely going to be resting their starters for almost a month. There is such a thing as being to fresh, and going stale from not having played.

7.) problems next week - uh so what, are they going to break peytons rising streak of consecutive starts? how will it look if they play their starters again in the first half? fans will just say, "why the FUCK would you not play them against the jets if you were going to play them today anyway?"

8.) Manning - taking away mannings ultimate desire.... honestly, manning works everyday to become perfect. he never quits, he has the same routine, and he makes himself do better everytime. What better reward for the "perfect quarterback", than a perfect season? honestly, you could tell how pissed he was he was benched, even if he said all the right things. which leads me to:

9.) disrespect - honestly, do you think caldwell is gonna get any respect from these guys for a while? he took away their dreams of a perfect season. The colts will play football in the playoffs, but not for him.

10.) business wise for the nfl, how do you think goodell and others think about this? i bet they aren't saying, "yes, the colts are no longer undefeated, which means we don't have to sell that annoying angle for snf, or the playoffs, or the super bowl!". No they are probably cursing at how much potential money was lost. ratings and attendance and marketbility and whatever income from being able to sell "undefeated" is gone. i remember, when the pats were 18-0, going to the super bowl. I have never heard so much hype for a game in my life, in school, on tv, whatever. Even teachers who didn't enjoy football were going to watch the super bowl to see if they could do it.

i hate the colts, so i guess i can laugh at them, but this infuriates me and im sure plenty of other people. i really, really hope they go 1 and done in the playoffs. doubt you could ever fire caldwell for that, but honestly, i would just yell at anyone who played a part in making this desicion.

WHO DAT? lolsaints.

Giants blown out. Steelers win... heard it was a really hard fought game.

Just a note: Jerome Harrison is looking pretty good right now.
In all honesty, the only reason the Steelers won was because the Ravens shot themselves in the foot, repeatedly.

This win puts Pittsburgh in much more favorable position to make the playoffs with JAX and MIA losing, and hopefully NYJ and DEN as well. However, another unlikely contender has surged into view, and could possibly be the one team to ruin it for Pittsburgh -- the Texans. Now, even if Pittsburgh wins next week, Houston MUST lose or tie to stay below them. I'm encouraged that they have to go to New England next week, but I need the Pats to still play despite clinching their division. Never thought I'd be wishing the Pats to win a game ever, but...
WaterBomb, I agree that the Steelers have a much better chance at the playoffs now, but given that this season has been rocky for them, it could go either way.

What if Peyton gets injured?
Manning has started every game his entire career, has never been worse than probable in rare appearances on the injury report, and wasn't even getting touched by the Jets. Why do people constantly think the moment the Colts clinch the highest seed they can get, Manning is instantly as fragile as a potato chip? What if Manning falls down the stairs at his house during his three week vacation? Hell, Sorgi found his way on injured reserve in spite of not taking a single snap this season. Also, didn't you watch the game? Manning was livid when he was benched.

So why risk messing that up by saying "LOL 16-0 HERE WE CUM"
You play to win the game. The goal of every team is to strive for 19-0. Also, there is no correlation between resting starters and Lombardis.

Manning has started every game his entire career, has never been worse than probable in rare appearances on the injury report, and wasn't even getting touched by the Jets. Why do people constantly think the moment the Colts clinch the highest seed they can get, Manning is instantly as fragile as a potato chip? What if Manning falls down the stairs at his house during his three week vacation? Hell, Sorgi found his way on injured reserve in spite of not taking a single snap this season. Also, didn't you watch the game? Manning was livid when he was benched.

You play to win the game. The goal of every team is to strive for 19-0. Also, there is no correlation between resting starters and Lombardis.
Exactly. So if Peyton gets injured (eventually a rex ryan defense IS going to get to peyton) they've obviously showed they can't win with Painter. Obviously Peyton's mad. All players want to play, its the coaches responsibility to make the choice that would be best for the team in the long run.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't know about that, I think if Houston or Baltimore get in they'll be relatively deserving. Pittsburgh is a playoff-caliber team but they aren't really deserving by virtue of the way they've given up the games they have. The Broncos are alright as well, but their offense is too conservative to make them a big threat. The rest of the teams are nowhere close, though.
Sure, they're relatively deserving over the rest of the 9-7/8-8 teams that don't make it, but I wouldn't put any of them in the same league as any of the division winners, even the Bengals. If there is a wild card upset in the AFC this year, I will be more surprised than I have in a very long time.

iduno. Houston gave Indy a run for its money twice.

i'm pretty amazed by the fact that denver may miss the playoffs after a second half collapse...again.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact is, the ONLY time that Indy has NOT pulled this "rest the starters" bullshit, they won the Super Bowl. Other than that year, they are 2 and 6 in the playoffs. It is a losing mentality, it is the epitome of playing scared, and personally, Polian/Caldwell should have been fired on the spot, because, as KD24 said, they have, in one fell swoop destroyed the mojo and confidence of a VERY young team, all for what? For the 0.01% Peyton gets hurt? To make a statement that "the regular season isn't important"? Tell me, what possible benefit is there to THROWING AN NFL GAME?!

Well, you know what? The Colts will not only not win a Super Bowl, they will be a first round exit.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
What up bitches.
I love your avatar, but you'd better hope the Steelers don't make the playoffs :D

If Pittsburgh does make it in, chances are they'll get Polamalu back for their run. Judging by how they've played with him in the game, I'd say they'd be a major threat to make it back to the big game. I know I wouldn't want to face Pittsburgh in the playoffs with Polamalu back in the lineup, that team would be so fired up it's crazy.

lol so maybe tad was right all along. to the bears...

at least it worked out that AP + Longwell beat Favre + Harvin for 3rd place in my FF league this year. :)

lol@Peterson fail...maybe he'll learn to run out of bounds instead of taking a hit for 2 extra yards. Brett Favre had some amazing drives and Peterson went and blew it, and their 2 seed.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Adrian Fumbleson proving once more why he is inferior to MJD and Chris Johnson. But hey, that Vikings loss... opens up the remote possibility of a #2 Seed for my Cowboys! If that somehow happens, I will splooge my pants. And if the Steelers somehow make the playoffs, I will rage. :pirate:

colts are so wrong in this situation, in every situation. i am so shocked that i am going to rant on every reason why they made a terrible desicion

Is that you who posted almost the exact same thing on the GameFAQs NFL board?

As a Patriots fan, I am excited that the Colts lost for obvious reasons. On the other hand I can see why people get upset about them resting their starters, but in reality it is a meaningless game. However much props to Manning for being a goddamn professional and saying "I'm not the coach, we do what he says" unlike the Queen in Purple who decides to not come out of a game where he's getting raped in the ass by Carolina.

I'm personally rooting for the Saints to make it to the Superbowl in the NFC. I really like Brees and the team is exciting. Obviously I hope the Pats get there too, but the Chargers are kinda becoming the dark horse coming under the radar until the past few weeks. They look scary right now.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
All I can say is I hope that teams don't get into the playoffs because they happened to face opponents in the last two weeks that were resting starters (read: Jets). I feel like that would just be unfair to the teams that had to fight and earn every win they got, rather than get handed their last two. I hope New England and Cincinnati actually play to win this Sunday (and damn it do I hate to root for those two teams...)

That was an amazing game last night. I finally saw that Vikings team that was blowing out teams in the second half... maybe they can put two halfs together. Too many mistakes to win though... missed extra point (the hold was botched).

EDIT: I like how everybody is calling the vikings a bad team. Its fairly obvious that they could've won that game if it weren't for so many mistakes by the team as a whole. At least AP got going again... 94 yards :)... then a fumble. Bleh an exciting game nonetheless.

P.S: did anybody notice how Favre to Rice looked like Eli to Burress/Roethlisberber to Holmes.

Too many mistakes to win though... missed extra point (the hold was botched).
Haha that was hilarious. I didn't think much of it initially but as the game unfolded, that mistake became more and more important! If only they had made it, then they would have won. The Vikings' special teams had trouble throughout the whole game though, what with those two huge Manning returns...

It was a crazy game, but that's what Monday Night Football is all about. I was going to turn it off when I saw that the Bears were up 16-0 at the half, but something told me Favre would make a comeback and he sure did. Wow.

EDIT: I like how everybody is calling the vikings a bad team. Its fairly obvious that they could've won that game if it weren't for so many mistakes by the team as a whole. At least AP got going again... 94 yards :)... then a fumble. Bleh an exciting game nonetheless.
Err... the Vikings lost to the Bears. The Bears are an absolutely shitty team. The Vikings are probably the worst team in the NFL right now, because I can't think of very many teams worse than the Bears. I would bet money that if the Vikings played any other team in the NFL at this moment, they would lose. This includes teams like the Rams, Browns, Lions, etc., because the Vikings are that bad. I guarantee that the Vikings will lose their first game in the playoffs once again. Hopefully the Vikings' management will realize the horrible mistake they made in giving Childress a contract extension and just get rid of him immediately.

Err... the Vikings lost to the Bears. The Bears are an absolutely shitty team. The Vikings are probably the worst team in the NFL right now, because I can't think of very many teams worse than the Bears. I would bet money that if the Vikings played any other team in the NFL at this moment, they would lose. This includes teams like the Rams, Browns, Lions, etc., because the Vikings are that bad. I guarantee that the Vikings will lose their first game in the playoffs once again. Hopefully the Vikings' management will realize the horrible mistake they made in giving Childress a contract extension and just get rid of him immediately.
There's no sense in arguing with your logic... especially when its never going to change lol.

I've never seen a fan hate his team so much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)