The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

Lol at how some of you think Saints'll get smashed by the Colts. I'm not particularly a Saints fan, so I have no bias for or against them, but there's no way that the Saints played their best against the Vikings. I'll honestly be surprised if the Saints don't play better against the Colts in the Superbowl.

They BARELY beat the worst team that made the playoffs this year despite the fact that said team was playing even more terribly than they usually do. I am glad everyone agrees with me that the Vikings are garbage now though!
im just curious but how does this logic track when you beat the cowboys the week before 34-3? are you honestly that delusional? the vikings are still a top 3 team like they have been all year. they proved yesterday they were the better team than the saints, but silly turnovers and missed opportunities blew that, and allowed the saints to win in overtime (who aren't bad at all, their only "absolutely poor as shit" game all year was against dallas, and even then they only lost by 7, and they actually mounted a comeback. they called off the dogs against tampa and it cost them after a 17-0 lead, and then they rested against carolina)

i guess experts would rank the top 3 teams in the nfl as colts, saints, vikings, but i would put vikings above the saints based on what i saw yesterday.

tad, whats the point of being a fan of a team if you can never look positively on any aspect of your team? and why does every team suck to you? if the vikings are so terrible, every team below them and they beat must be absolutely shit. i dunno, maybe in reality you are joe montana or some kind of football god or something, but come on, your team wasn't shit this year and to say they are is just saying all football players and teams are absolute jokes, since a LOT of teams finished much more poorly or lost to the vikings this year.

No, I pretty much already outmatched you on every one of your points. Also, the Vikings were outplayed in the punting game!
The only advantage I wouldve given the Saints is that their O-line played pretty good. Brees is a quick passer, but 0 sacks by that Vikings defense was pretty good. Other then that, besides Superstar Brett being a bonehead I cant think of any other way the Saints outplayed the Vikings.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the Super Bowl will end up being good as the Colts' defense isn't as good as the Vikings. Yeah they have Freeney and Mathis for pass rushing, but they lack that smothering run stoppage the Vikings have in the Williams Wall. Also I think (this is just a theory) that Drew Brees has a slight injury to his throwing hand that he is not admitting to. The announcers during the game picked up on his trend of wobbly throws, when normally he throws tight spirals. This is usually a sign that he is feeling some discomfort, and it's most likely related to his grip. I think this was one of the factors contributing to the Saints offense not being as productive, as several passes went errant or were dropped.

That being said, I think the Saints will fare much better against the Colts offensively, being able to develop both running and passing games. On the flip side, the Colts probably won't fumblaya nearly as much, so the Saints D will need to clamp down on their passing game.

Either way I highly doubt this will be a blowout.

The only advantage I wouldve given the Saints is that their O-line played pretty good. Brees is a quick passer, but 0 sacks by that Vikings defense was pretty good. Other then that, besides Superstar Brett being a bonehead I cant think of any other way the Saints outplayed the Vikings.
Vikings had 1 sack

Well, it was a pretty good season considering my Bengals finished 10-6 and made the playoffs, that was more than a win in my book considering the team's abysmal history.

I wanna touch on one point. In the AFC Championship Game, what were the Refs doing? If only for one play, the horrible refereeing was obvious: Sanchez handed the ball to Jones, and was walking away ... and then he's hit with full force 4 seconds later. AND THEY PENALIZE THE JETS! WTF?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Also DM and others, aren't you glad I'm not like those other users who try to make excuses for the Vikings? I just recognize that they played like shit (even more so than normal) and that they certainly did not deserve to go to the Super Bowl.
I'm really over arguing with you, but the reason we all get on your case is because you continually say what a shitty team they are THE SAINTS NEEDED OT TO BEAT THEM IN THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. My team's season has been over since week 7, and YOUR team normally plays like shit? Seriously, give it a fucking rest.

Here is one of the Vikings announcers bashing Favre: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/images/01/25/FavreINT.mp3

So awesome.
Ahahahaha yes, Jim Rome was playing that on his show non-stop and I couldn't stop laughing. It makes me warm and fuzzy to hear it.

im not gonna go through this entire thread to see if anyone mentions it but i have two points.

1) What the fuck. Nice phantom pass interference call to give new orleans a first down. I mean i know new orleans hasn't been to a superbowl in its career but seriously, that call in overtime (at least i think it was in overtime) is just a brutal call by the refs. Granted, New orleans still could have gotten a first down after that, but that was just a horrible call.

2) What point is inserting a rule and not using it. It's like making killing babies illegal but then someone kills a baby and the judge just says, "Oh. I got someone in jail for killing a baby 4 days ago, so im not going to do it again".

Yes, I am talking about the Brady rule. That hit on favre after he threw the interception was a BLATANT roughing the passer. It was just after he threw the ball, and a guy hit him low with his FUCKIGN HELMET!!! I know the ref just called a roughing the passer penalty 4 plays earlier, but that should mean absolutely nothing. A penalty is a penalty. I don't give a flying fuck if the crowd boo's you when you call it; a penalty is a penalty.

So tl;dr new orleans won due to 2 completely horrible calls that gave them the field goal position AND took away an obvious vikings scoring opportunity. The vikings also turned it over 4 (5th one should have been roughing the passer) times and that crucial interception at the end.

Either way, my predicitions for the super bowl. Indy 38- NO 17*

*ASsuming the refereeing isnt atrocious again.

** by the way, im not even a vikings fan, but as a football fan i wanted to vomit

Well, would Sanchez or Flacco really be such bad choices compared to David fucking Garrard at this point? Sanchez played really well in the playoffs, except for his inability to adapt to teams adapting to him.

Anyway yeah, joke bowl is a joke bowl.

You know its funny, I guess only who people who have actually played football would understand how ridiculous that throw was. I mean they teach you from Pop Warner that you never make that throw. After 19 fucking years playing a sport at the highest level you'd think he'd show just a bit more awareness in that situation.

Did anyone mention that Longwell had only missed two FG tries that entire season? (Cue Nate Kaeding comments lol)

Also I love the Peyton Manning doubt and how somehow the Saints are gonna outscore the Indy Peytons with their 26 ranked pass defense lololololol

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
"First lesson: This is how you breast feed. Second lesson: Cry and someone will change your diaper. Third lesson: In the NFL, you don’t throw across your body back into the middle of the field" -Joe Posnanski

HeroMasaki, that applies to more than just quarterbacking though. Like where (again I think Vilma? I forget) a Saints player had a Vikings fumble in his hands, but was trying so hard for a big runback he never even scooped it off the ground and the Vikings recovered it and then went for a touchdown - players are taught to just fall on the god damn ball! The desire for glory trumps the desire to win sometimes, sadly.

Well, Warner's retiring...shame to see him go, I've always been a fan of him personally, even if he played for the Cardinals...

Also hoping this doesn't turn into a Farve stunt, though it shouldn't as Warner doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that sorta thing.

Well, Pro Bowl turned out as expected, pointless and boring. Guess it was nice the AFC won, it being their 50 year anniversary and whatnot.

Wow. The Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha announced he would like to leave the Raiders and go to the Jets to play alongside Darrelle Revis. Think how awesome that would be. They could shut down anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)