The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ravens cut Mason, McGahee, Gregg, AND Heap? Jesus Christ. In Oz we trust but still.

Pleased to see McGahee go, but I really do hope we can resign Mason at least. Heap maybe depending on the price, as we drafted two pretty good TEs last draft.

I love Nnamdi, but I think it will be a mistake if the Ravens pay him that much money - I would rather save it to make sure Ngata, and eventually Rice and Flacco stay Ravens for their careers.

Ravens Steelers Week 1 yeahhhhhhhh

Kolb as a short term QB? He's only 26, a year older than Rodgers when he started for the Packers in '08. Assuming that any trade that happens will come with some sort of contract extension like Matt Cassel's did, he could very well be a top-15 QB for the next several years for whatever team he ends up with.

I see little hope for Clausen, to be honest. He'd have to play in place of an injured/benched Newton and perform well to have any trade value at all, so he'll probably end up as nothing more than an expensive backup for the next couple of years. He might get another chance with another team eventually, but don't count on him netting Carolina any draft picks with a trade.

Surprised to see Mason and McGahee get released as well, but I guess this is going to be the reality for the several teams over the salary cap this week.

Week 1 will be fantastic. Saints @ Packers, Steelers @ Ravens, Colts @ Texans, and Falcons @ Bears should all be very good games. Too bad the last three are all at 1:00 and we're left with boring MNF games though.

lions will finish 11-5 and take a playoff spot away from the packers as the bears will own the tiebreaker between them

stafford will pull through

Rumor is that Seattle has agreed to a deal with Tarvaris Jackson and Hasselbeck won't be returning.

Cowboys also intend to cut Roy Williams, Leonard Davis, Marion Barber, and Kris Brown. With Williams gone, looks like Dez Bryant will be in a position to put up some big numbers this season.

Cutting Marion Barber for no good reason...he better have lost his legs or something.

WaterBomb, being obsessed with short term solutions is not much of a problem when it comes to trying to secure the quarterback position. Again, the league has been designed into one that is ALL about passing. With that as reality, chasing a very probable top 15 quarterback is a great gamble. Why would a team want to be going to war with Tavaris Jackson and Matt Leinart instead of Kevin Kolb? It is worth a sacrifice to make that happen. It is the exact same as chasing a quality goalie in hockey or worldfootball. If I were the Vikings or whomever I would be all over Kolb's dick.

The Cowboys were like 20mil over the cap. I pretty much expected them to cut Williams and Barber. I was more surprised that they cut 2 of their best offensive linemen when their offensive line already sucks.

NFC North, AFC South for the Falcons. Should be a good test to see if they are ready to finally make a super bowl!

So, any reason why Seahawks would want Jackson? I mean...eh...is about all I can think of to describe him. Apparently Seattle's also making an offer for Leinart as well, talk about reuniting all the good ol' Cali boys...who's next, Bush too?

Looks like Jets are making a run for Asomugha as well, kinda mixed feelings given his age, but there's no questioning that he is a dominant CB. Though I'm surprised they aren't making Cromartie an offer instead, as he has youth at least...

What else...Broncos shopping Orton makes him a nice name for teams to pursue, especially if they aren't enamored with the ideal of giving up the bank for Kolb. Orton can at least come in to a team and likely stop the bleeding, whereas Kolb is an unknown still.

Talks about Nnamdi with Jets scare the bejesus out of me. How do you actually pass to receivers covered by Nnamdi AND Revis? Luckily they'd have to give up Holmes and Braylon and a few others to actually achieve that so perhaps all will be well.

Though they're also taking about him going to Ravens and well...that's just quite as frightening.

I can understand why the Ravens let Mason go, he dropped too many important catches this year...but Heap on the other hand was playing well. The defense is as stout as ever, so I think any matchup with the Steelers will be as good as always.

Its about time Marion Barber is cut...he's past his prime and honestly i'd rather let Felix Jones and Tashard Choice take over the running duties. Dropping Roy means Romo's gunna have an even more potent receiver in Bryant. Hopefully we can manage more wins under the new coach...

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh, I think the main reason I am cynical about the trade is because I am very skeptical of Kolb himself. He is being touted as a "Top 15" QB, which may end up being true, but I just have this feeling he's not gonna be all he's cracked up to be. I also consider him a "short term" solution because he's being brought in to stop the bleeding, not to win them a title. Kolb may very well function adequately for a few years, but they would still need to focus on bringing in their "QB of the Future" if they hope to become a true contender. In my opinion, Kolb just isn't good enough to make them into that, even after a few years. To me he's equivalent to Matt Cassel, more or less.

Jets have resigned Holmes, so Nnamdi and Edwards are unlikely to go to/stay with New York.

I really like the move for Matt Hasselbeck to the Titans. Locker wasn't ready to start right away, and between CJ and Britt/Washington on the outside Hasselbeck should settle into the "game manager" roll nicely. I'm not expecting a huge jump in production or anything, but the Titans should still be decent this year.

On the other hand, McNabb to the Vikings will not make them dangerous. Rice is gone, Berrian is washed up, and no one's really sure if Harvin has what it takes to be "the man" again. If they can sign another WR to accompany him and Shiancoe, maybe that will give McNabb an opportunity, but otherwise games will be firmly set on AP's shoulders, which historically hasn't worked very well.

Still curious to see what happens to Palmer. I actually like the stance that the owner has taken on the situation:
"Carson signed a contract. He made a commitment. He gave his word," We relied on his word. We relied on his commitment. We expected him to perform here. He's going to walk away from his commitment. We aren't going to reward him for doing it."

I expect Palmer to cave before retiring, but who knows?

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Still curious to see what happens to Palmer. I actually like the stance that the owner has taken on the situation:
"Carson signed a contract. He made a commitment. He gave his word," We relied on his word. We relied on his commitment. We expected him to perform here. He's going to walk away from his commitment. We aren't going to reward him for doing it."
You actually LIKE this? What about that commitment from the side of the teams, who cut players sometimes just a few years into their deals? Where's the commitment then? Mike Brown needs to speak like an owner and a professional, not like a butthurt Cincinnati fan.

Well WaterBomb, he had pretty miserable numbers last season, but he has also has always been the backup, finally got handed the reigns, then had to deal with the pressure of "um well this job is not secure at all even though I was named starter". I want to see one season of him actually getting to just fucking quarterback...if he gets back to that 2009 64% completion number, he will end up a lot better than just top 15. Even if he just stays where he is, you get a probably slightly more competitive Jason Campbell (lol). I see him and Vince Young as very good bets.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're close to the mark there CK, I feel the same way. I'd like to see him actually go through a whole season. Your comparison to Jason Campbell (lol) is also accurate :D.

You actually LIKE this? What about that commitment from the side of the teams, who cut players sometimes just a few years into their deals? Where's the commitment then? Mike Brown needs to speak like an owner and a professional, not like a butthurt Cincinnati fan.
Players that are cut still get guaranteed money from their contract, while the teams of players that hold out get nothing. Cut players can still sign somewhere else, while players that hold out pretty much can't be traded because of the associated "baggage."

If I were a staff member on the Bengals, a fan, or a player, I'd be pretty pissed off at Palmer for being selfish and demanding out. In reality, he was pretty stupid for signing a six-year extension while still having 3 years left on his contract, so the reason he's stuck in Cinci is his own damned fault to begin with.

So, McNabb to Vikings providing he reworks his contract...personally I'd deny it just to fuck with the Redskins to force Shanahan to cut him after benching him last week, though that's not to McNabb's personality. Hasselback to Titans, eh. Just gonna be a backup/mentor type of deal likely, he knows what he's getting into once Locker is ready to go. I like Jets resigning Holmes, they definitely need his big play abilities, and honestly if they could find a way to keep Edwards (and keep him out of trouble), could be interesting. Then it's just finding a good corner to compliment Revis...

Only Dolphins making a play for Orton? I find that hard to believe, he has to have more suitors than just them...

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Players that are cut still get guaranteed money from their contract, while the teams of players that hold out get nothing. Cut players can still sign somewhere else, while players that hold out pretty much can't be traded because of the associated "baggage."

If I were a staff member on the Bengals, a fan, or a player, I'd be pretty pissed off at Palmer for being selfish and demanding out. In reality, he was pretty stupid for signing a six-year extension while still having 3 years left on his contract, so the reason he's stuck in Cinci is his own damned fault to begin with.
I understand that they still get their guaranteed money, but when someone says that X player signed a $70 million dollar contract, they only receive a portion of that. If teams and players were forced to actually live up to the contract that they sign, you wouldn't see anymore 5-6+ year deals.

Usually the "baggage" is resolved simply from moving somewhere else; in Palmer's case he just doesn't want to be there anymore, in others people aren't given the opportunity they feel they deserve.

If I was a Bengals fan, I'd be pissed off at Mike Brown for the way the franchise has performed under his tenure, not Palmer.

Panthers making moves: resigned D Will, Johnson, Davis and Anderson. Unfortunately, that sounds like their team last year (except Davis and D Will were injured)

If I was a Bengals fan, yes I'd be disappointed at Palmer, BUT I'd be even more pissed off at Brown. If he doesn't trade Palmer, he's letting assets get away. There are teams willing to trade for Palmer and even a future draft pick is better than teaching Palmer a lesson. You hold the team back as well because his salary is still on cap. Just cut him loose and the fans will resent him, but at least he can bring back some assets. Even LeBron was able to provide the Cavs with a nice trade exception that led to Baron Davis which led to the #1 pick from the Clippers.

And could you really blame Palmer for wanting out? He's been trying to lead this team but injuries took a hold of him and anyone who had to deal with 85+TO for a whole season would also want a fresh start removed from that ordeal.

So fuck Bengals management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)