The Everything NHL Thread

Well, my Edmontonian gang unfortunately got butt fucked by Calgary 4-0 in the good ol battle of Alberta.
This calls for some real payback, but I noted our backup goalie is very good.... much better than Roloson.

Well this sucks. I picked up Jonathon Bernier hoping he'd make the team and rake me in a few wins, but he got sent back down yet again. LaBarbera is projected to be the #1 goalie, and Coach Terry Murray likes what he sees from Jonathon Quick (who is fighting with Ersberg for backup). I'm kind of desperate for wins, should I risk picking up Quick? (Some asshole took both LaBarbera and Ersberg)
I wouldn't start a Kings goalie if there was no one else on the market, tbh. The defensive core is getting better but they're still young and the goalies themselves aren't very strong. It's a weak team in the strongest division - not a situation I would want to get involved in.

Plus I suspect they'll end up with Khabs anyway.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Man you guys are excessively civil for an active fantasy hockey league.

In other news, Great Manager Aldaron (GMA) has pulled off another great move to start the season, by dropping the risk that is Sami Salo in his #4 d man slot and picking up Penguins D man Kris Letang, who should pick up the primary offense lost from Ryan Whitney and Sergei Gonchar.

Awesome.

Looks like the gap between GMA and the rest just keeps getting bigger...

I wouldn't start a Kings goalie if there was no one else on the market, tbh. The defensive core is getting better but they're still young and the goalies themselves aren't very strong. It's a weak team in the strongest division - not a situation I would want to get involved in.

Plus I suspect they'll end up with Khabs anyway.
I guess you're right. Would picking up Rinne (Nashville) be worthwhile? I don't think Ellis will start 60+ games, as he's not really use to it.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
An offline BAP update..

Just finished up my second season and first full 82 game season as an NHL player. The Columbus Blue Jackets went all the way this year, dominating regular season play (59-15-8) for the President's Trophy and capping it all off with a 16-3 playoff run to take home the Stanley Cup in a tight series against the New Jersey Devils. Two games went to overtime and it was a defensive battle for most of the series. Brodeur ended up letting in the costly cup winning goal on an error which made me extra happy. C. Arasim lead playoff scoring with 29 points on the top line, but was denied the Conn Smythe because of Pascal Leclaire's stellar 1.10 GAA and 93.6 SV% performance.

Besides getting his name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup, C. Arasim also took home a boatload of hardware:
- Art Ross for leading the league in scoring
- Hart Memorial for being most valuable to his team
- Lady Byng for best sportsmanship and high standard of play
- Lester B. Pearson for NHL's most outstanding player
- Maurice Richard for most goals in the season

The gaudy season statistics for the sophomore RW:
82 GP, 87 Goals, 46 Assists, 21 PIM, +91

Only two more seasons until free agency and that big money offer from a good team..

Edit: for some reason my performance tracker says I have the Art Ross, Calder, Hart, Lady Byng and Conn Smythe trophies.. weird. And I'm not sure why my legend card is still locked even though it says 100% for progress..

played for Sioux City?
Yeah green, Pacy played for Sioux City with one of my good friends (he was their goaltender) and he is playing for Michigan tech now. But yeah i got the opportunity to skate with them two seasons ago so that was cool and all.

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
Actually just wanted to check if you played there, cuz if you were also around for last year you would have skated with some guy from the same town as I was born in. And seeing dutchies playing hockey in the United States is kind of a rare thing, it would have been cool if you would have played with him aswell ;)

Ah no, im not that cool. I went the college route too soon otherwise I probably would have played in the USHL though

Offline BaP question: In my first season, tearing it up in the NHL. I made my player as a defense-first Power Forward, but it seems my teammates just can't score enough to win us games. I currently have 27 goals and 2 assists through 25 games, which is really unrealistic, especially considering my role. Am I being unrealistic in expecting to make the play-offs (Penguins), but only score 30ish goals with 60ish assists?

Not at all. Dear Sidney Crosby, how is it that you helped with the penguins playoff run in 2006-2007/2007-2008 getting and average of about 30g 60a. I think that the playoffs scene is realistic with those stats, but you also have to have the scorers to put in your assists. I guess it just kinda depends on how the computer players want to play and thats about all.

Also, based on your current stat spread, I'd suggest you stop shooting if you want those 60 assists haha.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My first season was played with Montreal and most of those guys are playmakers like I'm assuming people like Crosby are. This means they will pass a lot more than you're going to want them to and it is pretty frustrating. Just remember that you can force people to shoot with the RB button.. sometimes those shots do go in. If you do that in combination with controlling the zone well enough, your teammates will score for you eventually.

I also find it's much easier to play with guys that are power forwards or snipers in terms of getting assists. My numbers doubled when I switched over to Columbus and got to play with Nash and Umberger because they would actually shoot and/or crowd the net for rebounds (and Nash can actually finish). So if you're given an offer to a team with some snipers on the top line at the end of the season, think about seriously taking it.

As a Power Forward, I tend to crash the net quite a bit, and when I don't I'm still always covered (since I lead the league in goals). RB tends to get me tripping penalties, since its also the Poke Check button.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
and in Europe, which has me psyched.

Time to prove theres a huge market there for the NHL.

Prague and Stockholm are great cities for this.

I'm definitely glad they picked cities and countries that actually care about hockey this time, the fuck was that London bs ~_~

I'm very excited for the season to start though, playing NHL 09 for last month or so has made that lack of real hockey that much more difficult to ignore so it'll be sure nice to be aware it's happening tomorrow while Versus doesn't televise it.

At least we get the Sunday games...

That's my point. If I don't score, no one does.
I see that but I merely answered your question about "is it unrealistic....score 30 goals and 60 assists......playoffs, etc"

And no it isnt. But if your target is 30g 60a, you are much closer to the 30 ginos than the 60 a's

I'm definitely glad they picked cities and countries that actually care about hockey this time, the fuck was that London bs ~_~
The fuck are you talking about, people like Smallenberg would be appalled! The whole city of London backs his ass as does the entire country. HAHA

Not to mention Smallenbergs like 60 point season (he outpointed his overall attribute stat)

I see that but I merely answered your question about "is it unrealistic....score 30 goals and 60 assists......playoffs, etc"

And no it isnt. But if your target is 30g 60a, you are much closer to the 30 ginos than the 60 a's
On that note. Now sitting at 35G, 5A with 43GP (in the season, I have about 30). I have a -9 rating, and we are in 14th in the East, 7 back of 8th.

Just a small BAP update. I started over on a forwar, my EASHL position, and in 3 games i have roughly 9 points 6 assists. So I think passing is my thing...

well, my NHL carreer is at a halt, for now at least. I was sent down to the marlies after 18 games, with 20 goals and 16 assists, a 2 Point per game average. The reason I was sent down was due to a trade, which involved the leafs receiving a second line center.

Now, I'm back with the marlies, tearing it up. I'm somehow still second in the league scoring race, 1 point behind with 19 games behind. In the 4 games I've played, I've scored 13 goals with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)