The Fight for Thermopylae (starwarsfan and P2X7 play Greeks and Persians.)

Rules said:
Field Type: Neutral
Complexity: Intense
Format: All
Restrictions: No Digging

Pick the Greek and the Persian either randomly or by agreement.

- Only bring the amount of Pokemon they can send in in the battle, so in 2v2, for example, they can only bring 2 Pokemon
- No Chill or Recovery
- All Pokemon get +1 to each rank (Atk, Def, Spa, Spd), and +10 HP and Spe
- All energy usage is halved
- Every seven rounds, at the beginning of the round the Greeks get reinforcements. A random one of their Pokemon is fully healed and gets +60 Energy.
- Prayer
At the beginning of every round, the Greeks may chose to make a prayer to one of the Olympians. They chose to do so at the beginning of the round when they order. No energy costs are halved. All costs are taken off of an active Greek Pokemon of the Greek’s choice.
Olympian - Cost - Benefit
Zeus - 10 EN - A random opponent is hit by Thunderbolt off of a rank 4 Spa.
Poseidon - 10 EN - All opponents are hit by Surf off of a rank 2 Spa.
Hades - x EN - A random opponent is hit by Toxic. The condition goes away after x/3 rounds.
Hera - x EN - you heal x/2 HP.
Hestia - 10 EN - A random opponent is struck by a Mystical Fire off of a rank 3 Spa.
Athena - 15 EN - Gain an extra Substitution this round.
Ares - 15+x EN - One random Greek Pokemon in play gains +2 attack rank for x actions.
Apollo - 15+x EN - All physical non-contact moves used by the Greeks gain 15% accuracy for x actions.
Artemis - 20 EN - The next attack made by a random female Greek Pokemon will automatically crit.
Demeter - 10 EN - A random opponent is hit by a Bullet Seed that hits 3 times off of a rank 4 Atk.
Hermes - x EN - All Greek Pokemon will go first in their priority bracket for x/10 turns. If multiple are in the same bracket, they will move based on speed.
Dionysus - x HP - The Pokemon gains x/2 EN.
Hephaestus - 10 EN - A random opponent is hit by Flamethrower off a base 4 Spa.
To make a prayer, you must say so in your orders. The format is:
Prayer(God)(Pokemon cost is taken from)~A1~A2~A3
If there is a variable in the cost, the format is:
Prayer(God)(Pokemon cost is taken from)(Variable)~A1~A2~A3
So if I wanted to make a prayer to Dionysus off of my Sunkern and regain 5 energy, I would write:
Prayer(Dionysus)(Sunkern)(10 HP)~A1~A2~A3
- Can bring the normally legal amount of Pokemon (so 3 in a 2v2, for example), AND CAN USE THAT MANY
- Infinite Chill and Recovery
- Energy use is doubled
- Prayer Substitutions
The Persian can make a substitution based on if the Greek prays of not. The Persian can do:
IF Prayer THEN ___, which will activate any time the Greeks pray.
IF Prayer(God) THEN ___, which will activate any time the Greeks pray to that God
IF Prayer(Pokemon) THEN ___, which will activate any time the Greeks pray, with the cost being paid by that Pokemon if it’s Greek or with the effect hitting that Pokemon if its Persian.
IF Prayer(Variable) THEN ___, which will activate any time the Greeks pray with that variable.
Or any combination of the above, ex. IF Prayer(God)(Pokemon) means that in order for the Substitution to activate, the Greeks have to pray to that God, with the cost being paid by that Pokemon if it’s Greek or with the effect hitting that Pokemon if its Persian.

Description:
Thermopylae is a narrow mountain pass in eastern Greece. It is the only way to travel along the Balkan peninsula, and therefore a key strategic location to anyone wanting to attack Greece. To the west are mountains and to the east is the Malian Gulf. On the Persian side of the pass are the floodplains of the Spercheios River, and on the Greek side is a direct route to Athens.
It is only natural, therefore, that the pass would be the site of several battles. The first and most famous of these battles took place in 480 BC. Ten years ago, the Persian army had been dealt its first defeat in battle in over three centuries, at the hands of the brilliant Athenian general Themistocles. After the battle, General Datis ordered a Persian retreat. King of Kings Darius I began planning a new attack, with he himself at the helm. However, a rebellion in Egypt lead to his death, and he was succeeded by his son, Xerxes. It fell to Xerxes to launch the attack, and he did so, launching an invasion in the spring of 480, from Sardis. After crossing the Hellespont, Xerxes set off for Athens.
He encountered no real resistance until September of 480. His scouts had located the first Greek layer of defenses, a mere 7000 Greeks defending the pass at Thermopylae. Xerxes failed to listen to his generals, who suggested that he should attempt to negotiate with the Greeks, or find another way to Athens. He allegedly said (translated from Persian), “I am Xerxes the Great, King of Kings, Ruler of the Four Corners of the World! Not the Greeks, nor the Egyptians, nor anyone else can stand in my way, as they did to my weak father! I will not negotiate with my rightful subjects!” And so, Xerxes decided to attack the Greeks with the full force of the greatest war machine the world had ever known.
The Greek force was under the command of one of the greatest warriors in the history of the Greek people, King Leonidas I the Brave of Sparta. What he lacked in caution he more that made up for in charisma, rhetoric, and skill. Indeed, Leonidas was supposedly the descendant of the great Greek hero Hercules. He had recieved a prophecy from the Oracle at Delphi:
For you, inhabitants of wide-wayed Sparta,
Either your great and glorious city must be wasted by Persian men,
Or if not that, then the bound of Lacedaemon must mourn a dead king, from Heracles' line.
The might of bulls or lions will not restrain him with opposing strength; for he has the might of Zeus.
I declare that he will not be restrained until he utterly tears apart one of these.
The prophecy told him that either he, or Sparta, must perish. When Themistocles gave the order to retreat, and pull the Persians into a trap at Athens, Leonidas came up with a better idea: He would defend the pass with a token force of Spartans. He knew he could hold out for many days, allowing Themistocles to build his ambush. This is how the battle of Thermopylae began.
The small Greek force of 7000, including 300 of Sparta’s best, held the pass for seven days against a better armed Persian force of two million, the largest army in a single battle in the history of Persia. At the end of the seventh, the Persians found a small pass, enough for only a few soldiers, and attacked the Greek’s rear guard. The Greeks would still have held out, however, as they had posted expert snipers at the pass, who could defend it against any amount of Persians long enough for a messenger to reach Thermopylae and for reinforcements to arrive. The messenger, however, was bribed by Xerxes, and betrayed the Greeks, allowing Xerxes to defeat the Greek force from the rear.
(PM me for a more in depth history, and for what happened after the battle)

2v2 LC Singles
All Abilities
Training Items
I'm the Greeks

starwarsfan mons:

Togepi Female WHY CAN'T I FLY
Types: Fairy
Abilities::
Hustle / Serene Grace / Super Luck(H)

Nature: Calm +1 Spd, -1 Atk
Stats:
HP:90
Atk: 0(-)
Def: 3
SpA: 2
SpD: 4(+)
Spe: 20
Size Class: 1
Weight Class: 1
Base Rank Total: 12

EC: 0/9
MC: 0
AC: 0/5

Attacks:

Level Up
Growl
Charm
Metronome
Sweet Kiss
Yawn
Encore
Follow Me
Bestow

Egg
Substitute(Gen 4)
Nasty Plot
Stored Power
Morning Sun
Psycho Shift

TM/HM
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Psychic
Psyshock
Hidden Power [Bug]

Sunkern Male Mendel
Types: Grass

Abilities::
Chlorophyll/Solar Power/Early Bird(H)

Nature:
Modest +1 Spa, -1 Atk

Stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 2(-)
Def: 2
SpA: 2(+)
SpD: 2
Spe: 30

EC: 0/5
AC: 0/5

Attacks:

Level Up
Absorb
Growth
Ingrain
Grasswhistle
Mega Drain
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf
Worry Seed
Giga Drain
Endeavor

Egg
Morning Sun
Encore
Helping Hand
Endure
Nature Power

TM/HM
Solar Beam
Sludge Bomb
Substitute
Energy Ball
Hidden Power[Rock]

P2X7 mons:

Scratchet [Saber] (Male)
Nature: Modest (+1 SpA, -1 Atk)
Type: Normal/Fighting
Normal: Normal STAB; +1 BAP on attacks that match dominant arena type after 3 actions. Unable to have Thrash or Outrage disrupted by oncoming damage.
Fighting: Fighting STAB; ignore weight restrictions on Circle Throw, Seismic Toss, Sky Drop, Storm Throw, Submission, and Vital Throw.

Abilities:

Scrappy: (Passive) This Pokemon's Normal and Fighting attacks carry a special signature that can damage Ghosts, even if they have phased out.
Prankster: (Passive) The Pokemon is always prepared for engaging in sneaky tactics and trickery, giving its non-damaging attacks an increase in priority level.
Vital Spirit (DW): (Passive) This Pokemon has a high vitality and alertness making it immune to sleep induced by other Pokemon. Its normal state of sleeplessness makes it take 1 less damage/action from Ghost Curse. If it is put to sleep by a Pokemon with Mold Breaker it will wake up the next action.

Stats:
Atk: Rank 2 (-)
Def: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 2 (+)
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 40
Weight Class: 2
Base Rank Total: 14

EC: 3/6
MC: 2
DC: 3/5
KOC: 3

Level-up:
Scratch
Fury Swipes
Harden
Focus Energy
Rock Smash
Roar
Taunt
Hyper Voice

Egg Moves:
Confuse Ray
Stealth Rock
Yawn
Haze
Nature Power

TM Moves:
Return
Brick Break
Double Team
Substitute
Rock Slide

Tutor Moves:
Bounce

Togepi [Vol] (F)
Nature: Bold (+1 Def, -1 Atk)
Type: Fairy
Fairy: Fairy STAB: -1 EN on non-Fairy typed Nature, Sound, and Scent moves (Stacks with second STAB where applicable). (Nature Power, Natural Gift; Sound Moves; Aromatherapy, Odor Sleuth, Sweet Scent)

Abilities:

Hustle: (Toggle) No default effect. When toggled, this Pokemon puts immense force and speed into its physical attacks, increasing the Base Attack Power of all its physical attacks by three (3), but the haste used lowers their accuracy to 80% of normal.
Serene Grace: (Passive) This Pokemon has a blessing which doubles the success chance of its attack’s secondary effects. (eg paralysis from Thunderbolt)
Super Luck (DW): (Passive) This Pokemon’s natural skill increases its critical hit levels one stage above other Pokemon, making its normal moves inflict critical hits 12.5% of the time and its high critical hit moves inflict critical hits 25% of the time.

Stats:
Atk: Rank 0 (-)
Def: Rank 4 (+)
Sp.Atk: Rank 2
Sp.Def: Rank 3
Spe: 20
Base Rank Total: 13

EC: 0/9
DC: 0/5

Moves:

Level-Up:
Growl
Charm
Metronome
Sweet Kiss
Yawn
Encore
Ancientpower
Follow Me
Bestow

Egg Moves:
Extrasensory
Foresight
Mirror Move
Morning Sun
Psycho Shift

TM Moves:
Toxic
Protect
SolarBeam
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower

Ledyba [Incandesce] (M)
Nature: Relaxed (+1 Def, -15% Spe, -10% Evasion)
Type: Bug/Flying
Bug: Bug STAB; Adds an additional guaranteed attack on all multi-hit moves (does not include two hit moves) with a total hit cap of five (5).
Flying: Flying STAB; immunity to Ground attacks and the Arena Trap Ability except under the effects of Smack Down and Gravity, even for ground-based flying Pokemon. Will always hit foes with Dig (except other Flying types) and Dive. Cannot be hit by Dive unless the attacking Pokemon has a size class greater than four (4). Unaffected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes when switching in. Able to hit Pokemon in the evasive stage if Bounce, Fly, or Sky Drop with single target moves that hit Pokemon on the field regardless of position.

Abilities:

Swarm: (Passive) When this Pokemon’s HP is lower than 33% (flat), the Base Attack Power of any Bug-typed attack is increased by 2. (eg Silver Wind goes from 6 to 8, X-Scissor from 8 to 10)

Early Bird: (Passive) This Pokemon is used to waking up at early hours or operating in low-light conditions and subsequently sleep status is automatically reduced by one intensity level when inflicted on this Pokemon. When the Pokemon uses Rest they will gain 18 HP per action and only be asleep for two actions.

Rattled (DW Locked): (Passive) These Pokemon are more easily frightened by Ghost-, Bug-, and Dark-typed attacks and will raise their Speed and natural Speed stage by one (1) when struck by attacks of those types. Self-targeted attacks do not increase the natural Speed stage.

Stats:
Atk: Rank 1
Def: Rank 3 (+)
Sp.Atk: Rank 2
Sp.Def: Rank 3
Spe: 46 (46.75) (-)

EC: 0/6
DC: 0/5
Size Class: 2
Weight Class: 2

Moves:

Level-Up:
Tackle
Supersonic
Comet Punch
Light Screen
Reflect
Safeguard
Mach Punch
Baton Pass
Silver Wind

Egg Moves:
Bide
Drain Punch
Focus Punch
Encore
Knock Off

TM Moves:
Toxic
Protect
SolarBeam
Dig
Acrobatics

starwarsfan sends out and equips
P2X7 sends out, orders, and equips, the perfect trifecta of first turn activity
starwarsfan orders
I ref

Also, one of you needs to supply more rules, as the current set is not enough.

How about:
Switch=OK
2 Day DQ
2 Substitutions
Chills/Recoveries are covered by the arena rules, so just look there.

Assuming that this is okay with you, starwarsfan.
"I am Leonidas, descendant of Hercules and Zeus, King of mighty Sparta! Do not presume to dictate terms to me, Persian!"
sure
Mendel @ Nothing

Last edited:
(Okay then.)

"Well, we better start off strong."

Scratchet @ Nothing

Taunt - Hyper Voice - Confuse Ray
IF Sunkern uses SolarBeam a2 or a3, use Fury Swipes that action and push back.

2/3/2/3/40
Hp: 90
En: 100
Size: 1
Weight: 1

2/3/3/3/40
Hp: 100
En: 100
Weight: 1​

fuck nda

A1
Scratchet used Taunt. (-20 en)
Sunkern was Taunted. (6A)

Sunkern used SolarBeam + SolarBeam (-15.75 en)
Crit: 9181 no
Damage: (12 x 2.25 + 3 + 6 - 4.5) = - 33.25 Hp

A2
Scratchet used Hyper Voice. (-12 en)
Crit: 2118 no
Damage: (9 + 3 + 3 - 4.5) = - 10.5 Hp

Sunkern cooled down.

A3

Scratchet used Confuse Ray. (-10 en)
Sunkern became confused. (4)

Sunkern 4922 Hit Itself in its confusion. (-1.5 en)
Crit: no
Effect: N/A
Damage: (4 + 3 - 4.5) = - 2.5 Hp

2/3/2/3/40
Hp: 57
En: 58

2/3/3/3/40
Hp: 87
En: 82
Lemme know if I missed anything. Like the relation of taunt and cool down, I couldn't find it.

starwars fan orders
P2X7 orders
I ref

Last edited:
The only thing that you missed is that Starwarsfan orders first, not me. Also, Sunkern should be taunted for four more actions.

Solar Beam~Solar Beam~Solar Beam
If Scratchet uses Fury Swipes on an action where you would use Solar Beam, change that action to Energy Ball
If Scratchet has at most 8 HP remaining, change that action to Giga Drain
Edit: This didn't have any effect on R1, but you rolled for a crit on the confusion, which can't crit.

Last edited:

"We still have a trick or two left!"

Bounce - Chill - Bounce
IF Sunkern hits itself on its confusion a1, use Roost that action instead. (I believe this is a valid substitution, as SolarBeam has priority on the charge, which I think is when the confusion roll would occur.)

We have run into a bit of trouble here. You, starwarsfan, have edited your orders after your opponent ordered. Now, logic dictates that I ignore your substitutions because of it, so if you can either tell me what you think would be appropriate, or supply me with your original orders and subs, I can change the following reffing to include them.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can confirm the orders S0L1D G0LD, ignore the Fury Swipes sub, the second sub is part of the initial set.

To starwarsfan, I'm confident this wasn't particularly intentional but for your knowledge, due to the turn based nature of the game and time based component to posting editing orders after an opponents post outside of the 5 minute window after the post is policed heavily as we look down on cheating heavily. Like I said, I believe this was a mistake as opposed to anything else, so just keep this in mind for the future.

2/3/2/3/40
Hp: 58
En: 58

2/3/3/3/40
Hp: 87
En: 82
A1

Speed tie 706 sunkern moves first.

Sunkern 7164 did not hit itself in confusion used SolarBeam. (-3.5 en)

Scratchet sprung into the air. (-18.66666666 en)

Sunkern solar-missed.

Scratchet used Bounce.
Hit: 4828 yes
Crit: 2468 no
Effect: 123 (lol 1-2-3!) yes
Damage: (8 + 3 - 4.5) x 1.5 = - 9.75 Hp
Sunkern was crippled. (20%)

A2

Sunkern 9437 no confusion 3480 no para absorbed light. (-5 en)

Scratchet chilled. (+12 en)

Sunkern used SolarBeam.
Crit: 2279 no
Damage: (12 + 3 + 6 - 4.5) = - 16.5 Hp

A3

Sunkern 9155 no confusion 6298 no para absorbed light. (-7.5 en)

Scratchet sprung into the air. (-18.66666666 en)

Sunkern missed.

Scratchet used Bounce.
Hit: 9119 no

2/3/2/3/40
Hp: 41
En: 32.666668 (33)

2/3/3/3/40
Hp: 77
En: 66

Also, ignore my above message starwarsfan, I derped there. Edit thank you Texas Cloverleaf

P2X7 orders
starwarsfan orders
I ref

Last edited:
Wait why would I edit to put in a sub for something he didn't do?
I have no idea what I did I don't really remember but I'm fine with what you said Texas Cloverleaf so whatever.
Just pointing it out, the edit was probably where I said 'Edit:'
Not a complain, just saying.
Edit: I'm fine any way you decide to do it, if you want to reorder P2X7 just say.
Edit2: Mendel's speed is 30, not the 40 you have down, before the para.

Last edited:
Wait why would I edit to put in a sub for something he didn't do?
I have no idea what I did I don't really remember but I'm fine with what you said Texas Cloverleaf so whatever.
Just pointing it out, the edit was probably where I said 'Edit:'
Not a complain, just saying.
Edit: I'm fine any way you decide to do it, if you want to reorder P2X7 just say.
Edit2: Mendel's speed is 30, not the 40 you have down, before the para.
30 + 10 from arena is 40, unless you already assumed the arena bonuses I. Your mons, in which case I have to redo all the calcs so far. So which is it?

Hey S0L1D G0LD, it appears that starwarsfan forgot to apply the effects of Sunkern's nature in the message you were sent, so it should have Rank 4 Sp.Atk instead of Rank 3 after arena effects, meaning that you might want to fix the past reffings.

(That's okay, starwarsfan.)

"We better keep up the momentum..."

Taunt - Chill - Hyper Voice
IF Sunkern uses SolarBeam, use Fury Swipes that action and push back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)