The Labyrinth - IN BETA; Dramatic Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Who would turn down the opportunity to go explore some weird throne in some weird place?

(in)

Are items allowed for this delve?

EDIT:
This is sort of difficult to adjudicate. What if a Keeper doesn't realize how badly an allowed mon counters their dungeon until they see it in action? It's easy to overlook a devastating move like Bide or Encore in a moveset of 40 to 60 moves. How much "human error" room should a Keeper have? The TC adjustment was my attempt to give that some sort of counterbalance.

It also encourages the players to try such insane tasks as taking an Ice-type into "The Volcanic Pit of Fiery Immolation"!
Just because a Pokemon has Bide and/or Encore doesn't necessarily mean that it is overprepared. In fact, it's pretty much standard for any Pokemon with a family in Gen I to have Bide as one of their moves. Besides, the change in TC rewards also brings more subjectivity in; just because a player played excellently with their Pokemon doesn't necessarily mean they were overprepared, but a Keeper may be tempted to lower their TC reward because the battle seemed easy to them.

On an unrelated note, fiery immolation sounds quite interesting.

I wanted to signup, dang my timezone. Can I be a reserve or something?

EDIT: Agreeing with dogfish on his count. We did both register our interest before those guys as well.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Same position as Metal Bagon - I posted interest before and funnily enough, have literally been given a sort of "ban" from entering the Labyrinth due to my timezone. That's... not exactly fair, and something that SHOULD be worked out when Labyrinths become official, if not sooner.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Leethoof, Engineer Pikachu, and DarkSlay were the first three to post, so that's who I'll be taking.

Throne of the Jungle King is now closed. Please PM me one Pokémon which you intend to use in the dungeon.

edit:

Same position as Metal Bagon - I posted interest before and funnily enough, have literally been given a sort of "ban" from entering the Labyrinth due to my timezone. That's... not exactly fair, and something that SHOULD be worked out when Labyrinths become official, if not sooner.
I'm not going to be the only one running dungeons once this gets fully underway.

It's not exactly fair to bar other people from signing up because someone else called "dibs"; I'm not letting that happen again. From here on out, each test will be conducted 100% to Labyrinth specifications - I can't properly test a system of I keep deviating from it.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Oh no, I'm not claiming that was a fair method either. What I AM claiming is that ANY timezone-specific entry - testing or otherwise - is unfair. I'd rather have a system that sets a deadline and randomizes a group than one which is First Come First Serve. I can understand that if you get 3 people from similar timezones it will generally be easier on a ref, but judging by the times of the posts you have people from different timezones already.

Also: Even if you add more refs, some timezones may end up neglected. The best example of being the people who used to cover Australia in the prize claiming tower (AKA nobody). It obviously falls upon your decision Lou (It'll probably have very little impact on me, considering my wish to ref these than do huge runs in them), but others will have stronger opinions.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
I am going to have Keepers posting dungeons for players to accept.

If it's good enough for the Battle Tower, it's good enough for me. except that it's slightly more efficient since the Keeper declaring the dungeon is likely also your ref

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
Are items allowed for this delve?
Oh, good point. No, they are not.

Just because a Pokemon has Bide and/or Encore doesn't necessarily mean that it is overprepared. In fact, it's pretty much standard for any Pokemon with a family in Gen I to have Bide as one of their moves. Besides, the change in TC rewards also brings more subjectivity in; just because a player played excellently with their Pokemon doesn't necessarily mean they were overprepared, but a Keeper may be tempted to lower their TC reward because the battle seemed easy to them.
What I'm referring to is how easy it is for a carefully-constructed encounter to fall apart to a move you overlooked. That's the main point there.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
Engineer has passed his turn to iiMKUltra.

Conveniently, this leaves three players waiting - Metal Bagon, Dogfish44, and Terrador. I'll get back to you three.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
When Labyrinths are open to the public to make/play, do they have to be approved by you before the post asking for contenders?

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
Rogue Prince's Hideout

Heir to an icy throne, the master of this desolate temple has fled far from his responsibilities and role. Perhaps he preferred the cold of the night air to the cold of the frozen seat. Perhaps he was wooed by a commoner. Perhaps he found a cache of riches. None know, and quite frankly, none care. Except, perhaps, an archeological agency interested in the reports of a significant pendant in the Prince's possession...
Difficulty: Easy
Chills: Every Pokémon has 10 Chills.
Pokémon Restrictions: No Pokémon higher than Battle Hall Rank 2 may apply.
Number of Players: 2

Once this dungeon is full, the thread is again closed.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
The Labyrinth has received a major update.

Summary of changes:
  • Players now elect a single mon in their accepting post. They play as their elected mon, and do not act using a Trainer figure, nor do they bring more than one mon. Teams consist of multiple players or simply aren't teams at all.
  • Player vs. Keeper goal style has been annulled. Instead, the Keeper takes on a more traditional Game Master role, narrating the interaction of players and the dungeon. Rewards are distributed by a designated list of Reviewers, two per delve, who award players with KOC and Keepers with UC on a subjective rubric. Two Reviewers are employed per thread to allow an averaging of opinion.
  • Rewards per delve will receive a static, immutible cap.
  • Combat has become entirely optional. Everything is optional, to be honest, but a boring delve isn't likely to pay well!
  • Midbosses have been nerfed, hard. Lackies and Bosses remain as they were before.
  • Set turn structure and action types have been annulled. Instead, players may discuss in-thread for as long as they please (perhaps asking questions of the Keeper, e.g. "Can I see any doors?") before finalizing bolded actions and asking for an update.

Discuss?

This looks sexy, but it reminds me of PMD slightly, due to you being the pokemon. DW is currently making a PMD thing, correct? is that going to clash at all? probably not, since PMD has different mechanics and objectives, but i'm just pointing that out. The fact that you are your pokemon gives it a PMD feel.

Other than that, i don't really see anything else that catches my eye thats bad. I'd like to see how the 2 reviewers thing works, though. are you giong to have another test?

(if so PICK ME PICK ME I WANT TO GO BACK INTO THE LABYRINTHSSSSSSSSSSSS)

Note: i also like how everything is optional, as that allows for extreme variety and creativity. I like these new rules, they seem pretty interesting. i want to see them in action though (PICK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
This looks sexy, but it reminds me of PMD slightly, due to you being the pokemon. DW is currently making a PMD thing, correct? is that going to clash at all? probably not, since PMD has different mechanics and objectives, but i'm just pointing that out. The fact that you are your pokemon gives it a PMD feel.
Destiny was the one who suggested I do "mon = player," actually.

Ok, i was just saying. i do like the fact that you play as your pokemon, as that not only gives you more ability to flavor your text, but its more fun in general. that's why PMD was so popular, because being a pokemon is just bad-ass.

I like it. PICK ME.

IMO I actually liked the whole trainer+pokemon setup that the lab had before, Although i must say that this setup does look worlds easier to deal with for both refs and lab creators.

While I haven't had any real experience with the Labyrinth, I just want to say that while having fewer Pokemon does make things easier and faster to ref, it also dramatically reduces a player's options which will restrict how complex a dungeon can be. Two or three Pokemon total allows for harder dungeons and players being less likely to stall on a random trap that their Pokemon doesn't have a way around. It also has the bonus of allowing dungeon creators to design somewhat clever puzzles with harder ways around them, as the explorer is two/times as likely to have the required move or trait to solve it. In effect, puzzles can be more than "pick the right door" and evolve into more complicated affairs that require certain skills to bypass.

Just a thought.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
While I haven't had any real experience with the Labyrinth, I just want to say that while having fewer Pokemon does make things easier and faster to ref, it also dramatically reduces a player's options which will restrict how complex a dungeon can be. Two or three Pokemon total allows for harder dungeons and players being less likely to stall on a random trap that their Pokemon doesn't have a way around. It also has the bonus of allowing dungeon creators to design somewhat clever puzzles with harder ways around them, as the explorer is two/times as likely to have the required move or trait to solve it. In effect, puzzles can be more than "pick the right door" and evolve into more complicated affairs that require certain skills to bypass.

Just a thought.
There... will be two or three Pokemon on a team on average. Each mon will be a different player.

Teams consist of multiple players or simply aren't teams at all.
A response to that particular part. As long as there are multiple Pokemon out, it should be fine and most of the changes should generally help to open things up while also streamlizing them at the same time... basically, highly effective for anyone but the dungeon creators who might have to design more scenarios. But that's nothing compared to actually creating a dungeon in the first place.

Of course, its 11:00 and I'm going by what I'm reading in a thread over a real irc conversation, so it's possible I'm reading things incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)