The Legend of Hodou Masaka - OU RMT

The Legend of
HODOU MASAKA

Introduction:

This team originally started with one of many failed ventures into the higher ranks of the Standard ladder on my main. I had been attempting to use a Hyper Offense team, and early attempts at originality slowly left me in the dust. I began stacking my team with hard-hitting beasts like Latias and Heatran to try and scrounge a few more points by, but losses still came more often than not and I began to fall. It seemed every change I made only served to make the team worse. And so, I started from scratch, under a new alias: Hodou Masaka.

The new team was a result of working to mix fast, high-powered offense with capable tanks to create a team that mixes typical Stall concepts and Pokemon into a team that's largely meant to be offensive. The idea is to stall the opponent and set up hazards without losing the threat produced by an offensive Pokemon, using walls that also pack brutal attacks like Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Bronzong. While the enemy tries to break through these three, Gengar and Crobat hang back and wait for openings to come in and strike the enemy with full force, while Magnezone waits to trap the various Steel-types that those two would typically have trouble defeating.

The Team:

(CORA ka) Crobat @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn

For this team, I needed a lead that could stall (or ideally prevent) the placement of Stealth Rocks, while also being able to deal serious damage on its own. Originally I used Aerodactyl in this position, but since so many common leads are immune to Earthquake, I began using a Brave Bird Crobat. He has a powerful STAB option in Brave Bird, while being able to scout its own counters with one of the fastest U-Turns in the game. Like many of the sets here, he's just the standard Smogon set. I use him mostly to determine what the first Pokemon on the opponent's side will be (aside from their lead) and switch out to the appropriate wall. Though it's helpful to keep Crobat around to deal Brave Bird and U-Turn damage later on, he can be sacrificed more often than not without hurting the team much.

(HOPI ka) Hippowdon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Roar​
The first of the team's bulkier half. Her moveset is very much standard Hippo -- she comes in, sets up Rocks, then proceeds to EQ or Roar whatever comes against her and heals when it's necessary. The EV spread is slightly different- Hopi's definitely not meant to take any of the special attacks on the team, and so she's EVd for maximum defense in order to take even the strongest of hits from the likes of Choice Band Tyranitar and Swords Dance Scizor. Hippowdon holds a Lum Berry in order to pair with Bronzong and Gengar for status absorption. When Blissey or another obvious status user comes out, it's as simple as switching to Hippo to check the move. Hippo then stays out on Thunder Wave, sends Bronzong or Crobat out to take in Toxics, or (in the Rotom vein) throws Gengar in to shrug off the burns.

(BORN ka) Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 216 HP / 86 Atk / 208 SpD
Sassy nature
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Yes, you read that right. Heatproof. In today's metagame, EVERYBODY expects Levitate on a Bronzong. And it's so remarkably easy to fake -- switch Bronzong in on a Metagross and nobody will look at you funny, a mindgame no other Pokemon can really play. Before long, they're sending in Heatran, Mixmence, etc. to try and deal with you, only to see their Fire Blasts fall flat and recieve a brutal EQ or Gyro Ball to the dome. By being the underused, inferior ability, Heatproof actually becomes a risky tradeoff that can be very similar to having both abilities at once. Since I already have several Pokemon that ignore or resist EQ (and very little means of taking powerful Fire attacks,) I decided Heatproof was the best ability for my team. As mentioned before, Bronzong resists Toxic and TSpikes, counters Heatran and Mixmence, and Hypnotizes counters it can't deal with. Top it all off with an Explosion, and it does more for my team than a typical Blissey ever could. (Ironically, if everyone started to use Heatproof, it would become totally worthless. Thank god it's still "inferior.")

(GENA ka) Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 190 Def / 68 Spe / 252 SpA
Timid nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fire
- Destiny Bond

Gena's job is simple -- wait in the shadows of Hippowdon and Bronzong for the opportune moment to jump into the battlefield, deal as much damage as possible, and disappear again before anything gets the chance to hit her. The most unusual thing about this Gengar set is obviously the EVs. Who the hell gives defensive EVs to a Gengar? Somebody who wants to be able to kill Scizor and Dusknoir in a pinch, that's who. If it's necessary, these EVs allow Gengar to survive a Choice Banded BP from Scizor and even a max attack Shadow Sneak from Dusknoir, and then kill them with HP Fire and Shadow Ball respectively. Now Gengar against Scizor isn't quite a guaranteed loss after all, and this set still has enough Speed EVs to successfully outrun and kill Scarf Rotom. STAB Shadow Ball has always been a brilliant attack on Gengar that can easily sweep a weakened team. And if I accidentally let an opponent set up to the point where I can no longer wall them, Destiny Bond can sacrifice Gengar to remove them from the game.

(MAZE ka) Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- HP Grass
- Magnet Rise

Like Gena, Maze sits behind Bronzong and Hippowdon for an opportunity to come out and pick off unsuspecting targets. In this case, the target is the pesky common household pest known as the Steel type. Without Magnezone, Empoleon would easily tear through the team and I'd get walled by enemy Bronzong. He also kills Scizor locked into Bullet Punch when necessary. Since I have enough ways to go up against the ever-common Salamence and Dragonite, I opted for HP Grass since it outspeeds and kills Swampert with hazard damage (another common problem.)

(SKAR ka) Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Irrelevant, Skarmory's abilities suck.
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 16 Spe
Impish nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Originally, I spent several matches trying different hit-and-run attackers like Gengar to fill this spot. It wasn't long before I realized the real problem wasn't attack coverage, but defense -- though Hopi and Born could sufficiently wall most attacks together, if Hippowdon fell early in the game the team was often rendered useless. I didn't need more firepower, I needed a thicker shield. Enter Skarmory, whose main role is as support for Hopi. He can take any of the physical attacks that give Hopi trouble, whereas Hopi will give a rude awakening to any Magnezones and other electric-types attempting to pick off Skarmory (I gave him a Shed Shell when I realized my team wasn't exactly happy to see Magnezone sometimes.) He also lays down Spikes to increase the already-potent entry damage from Hopi's Stealth Rocks, and provides his own STAB Brave Bird (albeit weaker than Crobat's.)

SYNERGY:

Yes, it's true, a lot of these Pokemon are either completely ripped from or heavily based on the basic Smogon sets. But hey, they're there because they work. And on this team, they definitely work. The real point of this team isn't unique sets or fresh ideas, but combining the mentalities of stall and stab with good synergy. Each Pokemon here (with maybe the exception of Crobat) can take the pain off of something else on the team:

CROBAT:
Physical Attacks, Electric or Rock= Hippowdon
Special Attacks, Psychic= Bronzong

HIPPOWDON:
Special Attacks= Bronzong
Grass= Crobat, Skarmory, or Bronzong
(Overwhelming) Physical Water= Skarmory

BRONZONG:
Physical Attacks= Hippowdon or Skarmory
Ground (when they know about the ability)= Crobat, Gengar, Hippowdon

Fire (when they don't know about the ability)= Tee-hee...

SKARMORY:
Electric= Hippowdon
Superpower/Close Combat= Hippowdon

Fire= Bronzong (though sadly, this gives away his ability...)
Special Attacks= Bronzong

MAGNEZONE:
Physical Fighting= Hippowdon or Skarmory
Special Fighting= Crobat or Skarmory
Ground= Hippowdon, Gengar, Crobat, Skarmory
Fire= Bronzong (see Skarmory)

GENGAR:
Bullet Punch = Magnezone, Hippowdon
Sucker Punch = Hippowdon
Ghost = Depends on the attack type and whether or not they use status
Psychic = Bronzong

SPECIAL THANKS:
TVBoyCanti, for the Gengar sprite (which I recolored to Shiny)
Pokemon Elite 2000 for the other sprites (recolored Crobat and Skarmory)
Obi, whose old stall team RMT inspired me to consider Skarmory as a Hippowdon partner

My only question is on Bronzong. The Heatproof trick does work, however, if there are Spikes in play, then simply put, the game is up. There is no guarantee that someone doesn't learn from a mistake. If Heatran fails to do its expected damage, then the opponent will suspect Heatproof and react accordingly. And if someone knows that you will switch out of EQ, they could use it as an opportunity to set up and sweep.

This has to be the most heatran weak team I've ever seen. Even if you're running heatproof zong, you still take decent neutral damage on the switch to fire blast. I'm not sure of the calcs, but if it's less than a 2hko then they'll just switch out and if it IS a 2hko then it's gg. Scarfgar is not a reliable check to it as it is so easy to pursuit kill.

You're also decently stall weak. You are reliant on gengar's destiny bond to take trap bliss (no way would they stay in on bronzong with the common threat of explosion, they can just go to rotom/skarm/forry). But the problem with that is you run scarf, meaning that they can see the d-bond on the switch and just heal up everything with wish. All the while you are wasting PP and HP with sand.

I would start by taking away bronzong as it does next to nothing on your team. You need a fire resist like trees need water so I would strongly advise you get something like heatran or T-tar. If you go with tar, change gengar into a standard lefites set with protect. This way, if Tar trap opposing blisseys, gar can go on a rampage against stall. Maggy should then be scarfed imo to counter the likes of gyara.

Good luck.

You have three Pokes weak to fire, no resists, Heatran, Fire punch DDtar, and of course FB DD Salamence can also cause havoc, thanks to Bronzong having heatproof instead of EQ, if you predict wrongly and switch on its DDed EQ, chances are, you will get KOed. I suggest you change your rather fragile, suicide revenge killer to Jirachi with this set:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
- Thunderpunch
----------------------
This set revenges DDtar, if luck's in your favor maybe even hax can kick in. And of course Ice punch kills Salamence, and lets hope you win the speed tie after it gets that DD.

Thanks. I actually want as much help as I can on this, so I'm not adverse to switching out Pokemon for more effective ones (despite having made that big team portrait, lol. didn't mean to give the wrong impression.) I'm going to take animenagai's suggestion and start testing both Heatran and TTar in Bronzong's spot to see if it works better.

As for Jirachi, I'd rather avoid that if possible. First, because I'd like to maybe recreate this team in-game at some point, and second, because I just really, really don't like Scarfrachi, and third, because I fail to see what it counters that either my current team or animenagai's suggested changes can't already handle (barring the obvious hax, of course.)

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
I see the benefits of a Scizor beating Gengar but that comes at the cost of a huge DD Salamence weakness. With sitting pretty behind a substitute, and your reluctance to go to a scarfrachi, max or close to max speed scarfgar is the best fix. You would keep your fighting immunity, and keep yourself safe from a salamence DD, unlikely though that seems. Of more concern would be the new mixmence. Dealing massive damges to all your walls, and with a lack of a move to at least force a switch, Bronzong needs to be in near perfect health to keep the team intact ( especially if they use FB on you first).

Anyways, if you dont opt for max speed gar, i would at least suggest HP ice over hp fire, and hp fire on magnezone, but thats not really even too important. The Magnezone set you have now is more than capable than beating out scizor an many other steel types, and coming out with a sub to smash whatever comes in.

Anyways I hope this doesn't tweak the team much and good luck in shoddy.
Oh and i might be making a wifi team soon, but i'll probably get an AR for pokesav for christmas!

I see no point in Gengar's current EV spread. I see the role of it killing Scizor and all. It's just that YOU HAVE A SKARMORY, MAGNEZONE, AND BRONZONG ON THE TEAM. The three steels and bronzong lol wall Scizor respectively. This is why I recommend changing Gengar's current set to the Mystic Gar set found on the stradegy pokedex. This little set is the perfect Scizor lure. Protect to scout out the move, and then switch out or stay in depending on what it is. You can easily trap Scizor's this way as you carry a Magnezone.

Now that I'm talking about Magnezones, changing your current set will just make it overall better.

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Sp.atk / 216 spe
Naive nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- HP Grass
- Explosion

With this set, you can make use of the powerful base 130 (i think) sp.atk stat, and the magnificent ability Magnet Pull.

To be honest, this team can be used some serious adjustment. I hope other people can cover them as I'm way to tired to finish this.

-iShedinja

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Sp.atk / 216 spe
Naive nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- HP Grass
- Explosion

With this set, you can make use of the powerful base 130 (i think) sp.atk stat, and the magnificent ability Magnet Pull.
This wins for most ironic post ever because when I initially posted this RMT, my Magnezone DID have Explosion over MR. I don't remember why I changed it.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Honestly, I don't know what you're doing against MixMence, SD Luke once Hippowdown is gone, and Taunt Gyarados. Gengar is easily removed thanks to pursuit Pokemon like Scizor and Tyranitar, your only means of effectively revenge killing Gyarados. Tyranitar and Gyarados is also a very common combo, unfortunately for you. Also, how do you deal with stall? Now to the points mentioned earlier. I think a Gliscor over your current Crobat would help deal with stall, by using Taunt and Toxic in conjunction. With Taunt, you cut off their recovery, prevent them from setting up, and whittle their health down with Toxic. I'd go with an EV spread of 252 HP, 40 Def, and 216 Spe Jolly. I'd go with the moveset of Earthquake, Taunt, Toxic, and Roost. The EVs are to help with Gliscor's natural bulkiness, as well as outspeeding Lucario, another threat to your team. Gliscor also helps with Ice Beam-less Tyranitar.

Nextly, I think a different Sandstorm summoner is in order. Hippowdown and Gliscor share similar typing, so that's why I think you should replace Hippodown with a ScarfTyranitar. Scarftar easily handles a lot of physical threats that harm you, as well as providing excellent synergy with Gliscor. I'd go with max attack, max speed and a Jolly nature, with the leftovers EVs in HP or whatever. Just use a moveset of Earthquake or Superpower, Stone Edge, Crunch, and Pursuit. This set also can trap Pokemon like Rotom and Latias, which can severely punish your team if played correctly.

Nextly, I think you should change Gengar's set a bit. As I mentioned previously, Gengar doesn't like Pursuiters such as Tyranitar and Scizor, so that's why I think you should change the set to be able to beat them. With a moveset of Protect, Shadow Ball, HP Fire, and Focus Blast. You don't have to worry about Latias without a 30 IV outspeeding you since you'll have Tyranitar, which traps Latias. I'd go with the item Life Orb and run 4 hp, 252 spa, and 252 spe. This way you can lure in stuff like Scizor and Tyranitar and hit them or protect.

For my final change, I'd like you to change Skarmory to Forretress for several reasons. The first reason being that without Rapid Spin support, Bronzong is going to be giving away his ability if Spikes are in play, and Hippowdown can spin them away. The next reason being so you can have another check to Salamence, while also hitting Rotom and Gengar with Payback on the switch, hitting them for super-effective damage while they try to block your spin. Go with EVs of 252 hp, 112 att, and 144 def with an impish nature. Use a moveset of Gyro Ball, Rapid Spin, Spikes, and Payback. I hope this helps, and good luck with the team!

PS I meant only Lucario is a problem once Hippo is down. Hippowdown doesn't stop Gyarados...

With this you'll still Gyarados weak, so maybe change Magnezone to Rotom. Good luck!

I like the drawing, not the team. There is definitely a Heatran weakness, and you can make an immediate fix to that with Gliscor. Consider running the bulky stallbreaker type:

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 88 Atk/204 Def/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Brongzong also seems redundant with Skarmory, consider Breloom, if you're going for a sleeper.

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed

I recomend you to use something else over either Skarm or Zong since ScarfHeatran 1-2HKO'es your whole Team with Fire Blast. Either a special sponge like Blissey or Bulky Waters like Pert and Cune could help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)