The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I don't know it just seems Trax finds a hole in everybody except Overeem.

As for Saturday night I'm interested in the TUF finale and Phan. I think Phan can have a lot of success at 145, he kinds reminds of of those small boxers, he just doesn't quit and has a lot of balls. I honestly don't know how the fuck Grove is fighting at 185 standing 6'6, I personally think its ridiculous, but hey if he can make that weight at that height, then I'm guessing its for a good reason.

Rest = who cares?
Agreed lol

Alves is fine where he's at he just has to master his cutting... I don't know why a guy who dominated Koshcheck, Hughes, and hung in there with the best for 5 rounds is getting so much shit.
Alves has hired nutritionist Mike Dolce because he was struggling with his cut, he obviously has difficulties cutting - in 13 fights there have been 3 separate incidents of Alves either missing weight or testing positive for diuretics.

Incidentally Alves himself has said he's too short for middleweight, his kicks have similar range to someone like Nate Marquardts punches.

I'll go ahead and say it: Tyson is the most over rated boxer of all time - definitely a great boxer but not even in the top 5 best heavyweights ever, the guy ducked a fight Foreman in 1990 for crying out loud.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Something very interesting about Sonnen:

Because TRT involves a synthetic form of testosterone administered manually, it elevates the body’s ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone, which, in Sonnen’s case, triggered a positive result for performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). His test ratio was 16.9:1, where the normal threshold ratio is 4:1. However, the CSAC did cite that, while Sonnen’s test results of the ratio itself were high, his actual range of testosterone was within the normal levels for adult males.
Source: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Sonnens-Suspension-Reduced-28540

So just in case yall don't wanna read it:

tl;dr: Sonnen did not have elevated tesosterone levels, he was not superman like many claim, and Silva did get exposed. What brought up the issue was the fact that Sonnen was taking some kind of medication (?) and didn't disclose of the fact that he was using such things pre-fight.

Silva's still due his props with all due respect. He took a beating for 5 rounds and pulled a sub, most guys would have lost heart by then.

@trax-top 5 boxers of all time is a very elite club..you said you wouldn't rank him 'even' in the top 5. Boxing has been around for so long and there have been so many greats that making top 50 is very difficult and Tyson surely makes the cut.

And no I'm not ranking GOAT boxers. :) And I'd agree with you Tyson's nowhere near top 5, I was just stating that prime Tyson was an absolute monster. GOAT candidates had great careers not great primes, and Tyson's personal life obviously interfered with how good he really could have been.

Making a top 5 GOAT fighters list for MMA would be difficult, a top 50 in boxing even more so imo.

@trax-top 5 boxers of all time is a very elite club..you said you wouldn't rank him 'even' in the top 5. Boxing has been around for so long and there have been so many greats that making top 50 is very difficult and Tyson surely makes the cut.
That ramble wasn't entirely directed at you, I'm really sick of every cocksucker who knows nothing about Boxing talking about Tyson like he was the best ever..

He's top 50 in his own weight division (all time) for sure, but it gets very old when people use Mike Tyson in discussions like he was some mythical unbeatable boxer.

I'm eagerly awaiting for Sonnen to kick Silva's ass again, since Belfort will likely lose and Okami...well, I'd like Okami to win, but that probably won't happen. At least all these months off due to suspension will hopefully encourage Sonnen to work on his submission defense XD

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Those 23 minutes of that Silva vs Sonnen fight were just so...amazing. My anticipation is big for the re-match.

Also, it's fucked up what happened to Nam Phan. I support mexican fighters but Nam got completely robbed. It's not even funny.

Well I'm glad Brookins won, he definitely has a bright future in both lw and fw for the UFC; I mean, the dude fought and lasted 3 rounds with Jose Aldo before in the WEC, and he has the general big competition experience as well. I can easily see him being champ somewhere along the line in the future...saying future mainly because there's too many damn LWs now with all the wec ones merged it.

More surprising to me was that I was right on 99% of my predictions, only Nam losing that lame split decision threw it off. Still, Nam will likely be a decent presence to bolster the UFC's FW division now, if he isn't signed yet. And even though English lost I hope they keep him on somehow, it's nice to not have another Bisping-esq brit in the UFC.

The Grove - Maia is a perfect example of how taller fighters aren't really the favored fighters in MMA. If a fighter can get in close enough to clinch or do some damage then that's that. MMA is always about who's the better fighter not who has more muscle mass or who is taller. :P So bringng Tyson into this conversation is like bringing digimon into pokemon.

Ok well. I was expecting something better from Grove though. Maybe some more explosiveness in there near the end of rounds or something. In the third round he should've went all out since he already lost the first two. :P

Anybody know what ever happend to Kimbo Slice after his last loss? lol

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Cut from the UFC and is now considering boxing.

Don't know why anybody would care for this person.

It's always nice to see Henderson win...hopefully he'll be next in line for the LHW Strikeforce belt. Especially after he lost to Shields of all people at MW for that belt...

Bleh, forgot today was 124, most of the prelims look done so here's the main card predictions:

Alves > Howard
Stevenson > Danzig
Miller > Olivera
Struve > McCorkle
GSP > Kos

Edit: Well, hopefully no one's surprised, GSP turns Kos into his own personal punching bag for 5 rounds. Next on the list: some dude named Shields.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Highlights for me were Jim Miller's awesome knee bar and Struve's sweep into mount. Good shit.

Also, did anyone really honestly expect anything other than GSP making Koscheck his bitch for nearly a half hour? Anyone complaining that GSP is a "lay and pray" fighter can fuck right off.

Highlights for me were Jim Miller's awesome knee bar and Struve's sweep into mount. Good shit.

Also, did anyone really honestly expect anything other than GSP making Koscheck his bitch for nearly a half hour? Anyone complaining that GSP is a "lay and pray" fighter can fuck right off.
According to sherdog haters, GSP is now what, jab and pray? Or something similar in that vein. Either way it's BS of course, there's a reason GSP is the best WW out there, he fed Koscheck a very big slice of humble pie tonight.

As for both of them winning fight of the night bonuses, they should have just given GSP the 100k and given the other 100k to other fighters instead of Kos, who did nothing for 5 rounds.

Good to see Jim Miller provide a highlight reel submission and derail a stupid hype train: beating a mediocre TUF winner does not a top fighter make.

Overeem won the K-1 GP too, got a bit lucky with the brackets (also Aerts looked the best he has in years) - his toughest opponents were pretty damn beaten up by the time they got to him. Sad to see Kharitonov lose; he did exactly what he did when he lost to Aleksander - walked into a knee..

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Freddy Roach did something with GSP, pretty good fight.

I think I was more surprised with Hazelett losing than anything else though, until I figured out homeboy who he was fighting was also a BJJ BB.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I dont like the fight of the night bonus being voted by fans, that will make it a popularity contest ; GSP vs Koscheck was too one-sided to win it.

Georges basically praised the crowd, mirza, said it motivated him.

Couldn't agree more. That fight with the red head getting beat up but still being the aggressor for three rounds was more like FOTN material than Kos getting punched in the eye for twenty-five minutes was.

Good card overall; UFC 125 and 126 look great too.

Has anyone heard anything about a date for Velasquez/dos Santos?

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Just looked at Thiago Alves vs vs John Howard, and I don't know how the fuck GSP vs Koscheck was Fight of the Night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)