The Monotype Teambuilding Workshop [Currently Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by scpinion
OP stolen from Trinitrotoluene
Art by Disbelief

Hey everyone I'm Paleo. Throughout my time in Monotype I have noticed that a good chunk of newer players do not know how to effectively team build or have no access to good teams to get started with. In an effort to rectify that, I have joined forces with several experienced Monotype builders to host this team building lab. Here users can post Pokemon sets / cores that they would like us to build a team around and one of us can reply with their team and the team building process we used so the requester can see our thinking processes and get ideas on how to build their own teams in the future. It'd also be nice if users could reply their experiences with the teams, during ladder matches or tournaments, and provide replays of them battling with it.

Teambuilders
Paleo
Anttya
Cell
1 True Lycan
Omega-Xis14
Ridley.
iVid
Disbelief
ThimoTheUltimateBOBO

Rules:

- Have about a one paragraph description with the set / core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
- Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams. (Think C+ or above in the viability rankings)
- Please note that we can choose to ignore requests for extremely generic pokemon and/or cores as well as cores that have already been built around. Be sure to check this post to avoid breaking this rule!
- Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or that they can't build one themselves.
- Each user is allowed one request per week and any user found requesting multiple will have their post deleted and may see further punishment.
- Please remember that these teams are first drafts and as such will not be perfect. Edit them as you please.
- You are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
- However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here.
-Please do not ask to become a builder, I handpick the list
-Remember to specify which type(flying,water,ground etc.) the monotype team will be, if its not blatantly obvious by the members of your team.
-If you request a team/pokemon/core that is already listed in the OP you'll be blacklisted from requests for 2 weeks. It takes less than a minute to check. It's your job to check, not ours. Don't be lazy.

Last edited:
Pending requests:
  • Dr. Ciel's Mega Gardevoir Fairy - Disbelief
  • all falls down's MegaAmph Electric Offense - Paleo
  • Tidal Rage's tailwind Grass - unreserved
  • Trichotomy's Metagross Cobalion Steel - Blackjak
  • ImpCheese's New MegaSableye Ghost - iVid
  • Or1hara Izaya's Metagross TrickRoom Psychic - Paleo
  • Aparctias' DD MegaTtar Dark - Omega-xis14

Last edited:

sceeeeeenes

Banned deucer.
Ok lets start with an easy one. A mega ttar dark, with ttar this set:

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast/twave

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
- Swords Dance
-
-
-

I'd also like a rock setter and the team to be hyper offensive. I don't mind what other 4 mons you use. I look forward to seeing what you come u with . GL! :)

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's another fun one!

This is a 'mon/core I've been thinking about building around for a while now. I was gonna use this with a Delphox over Hoopa for MPL, but Jirachi got banned from Mono UU Psychic teams (RIP). I think this can still work in standard Mono though.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe (evs are just the teambuilder spread, feel free to optimize them to a more fast/bulky build)
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Psyshock

Hoopa-Unbound @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

The idea here is sub-cm Jirachi carries unresisted STABs except against Steel types and a couple other Pokemon in the Mono meta (e.g. Slowbro, Starmie, Crawdaunt). So I thought it'd make an unexpected, but good, partner for something that dismantles Steel teams/types, like Steel-breaker Hoopa. I think this would work best on a balanced build where you can easily cover the 'mons these two are weak to, but if it ends up being offense then idc.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Hey could i request a team for..

Fairy Double Mega Core

Double mega teams may sound weird and wonky to someone who has never played mono but truth be told its actually effective. The reason to use double mega on fairy is simple and its because of one match up: Water. Mega-Gardevoir does a lot better against water than Mega-Diancie does and since water is really popular and amazing in this meta right now using double mega doesn't sound that crazy. It also kinda helps against poison more. Gardevoir without item(when Diancie is mega) is still a great pokemon. I would love if the team could be offensive but balance is probably the best way to go. Having some hazards would also be nice. You can work around with the sets if you like but i would hopefully the double mega idea would stay as the same.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Hey guys! I'd like to request a flying team build around Mega-Aerodactyl. Using Mega-Aerodactyl does have some advantages over using the more common flying types megas like Mega Charizard Y and Mega Gyarados. For example, it has the ability to pursuit trap big threats like weakened Hoopa-U and scarf Victini. Moreover, its matchup vs types like dragon, fire and opposing flying is really good.

Set:
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

The moves, I think, are the best to use on Mega-Aerodactyl are double STAB moves in Stone Edge and Aerial Ace. Ice Fang is there to hit Landorus-T, Gliscor and Garchomp and Pursuit traps the above mentioned threats. The EV spread lets it outspeed Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedril once its mega evolved. Feel free to change it, if you guys can find something better.

Cell

Birth By Sleep
MPL Champion
Here's another fun one!

This is a 'mon/core I've been thinking about building around for a while now. I was gonna use this with a Delphox over Hoopa for MPL, but Jirachi got banned from Mono UU Psychic teams (RIP). I think this can still work in standard Mono though.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe (evs are just the teambuilder spread, feel free to optimize them to a more fast/bulky build)
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Psyshock

Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

The idea here is sub-cm Jirachi carries unresisted STABs except against Steel types and a couple other Pokemon in the Mono meta (e.g. Slowbro, Starmie, Crawdaunt). So I thought it'd make an unexpected, but good, partner for something that dismantles Steel teams/types, like Steel-breaker Hoopa. I think this would work best on a balanced build where you can easily cover the 'mons these two are weak to, but if it ends up being offense then idc.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
reserved

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Hey could i request a team for..

Fairy Double Mega Core

Double mega teams may sound weird and wonky to someone who has never played mono but truth be told its actually effective. The reason to use double mega on fairy is simple and its because of one match up: Water. Mega-Gardevoir does a lot better against water than Mega-Diancie does and since water is really popular and amazing in this meta right now using double mega doesn't sound that crazy. It also kinda helps against poison more. Gardevoir without item(when Diancie is mega) is still a great pokemon. I would love if the team could be offensive but balance is probably the best way to go. Having some hazards would also be nice. You can work around with the sets if you like but i would hopefully the double mega idea would stay as the same.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
Reserved Nya~~~

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Volcarona @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest / Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz / Roost
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Requesting a Mono Bug team made around Volcarona. Volcarona is one of the best mons in Bug Mono due to it's awesome sweeping capabilities with Quiver Dance, and ability to beat Steel types with Fire STAB or HP Ground if Heatran. (Also is a neat check to Scizor). It does have a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, however, meaning it must have some support to work correctly. Thanks in advance! I'm not married to the set or moves, so you can change it up if you like n_n

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Requesting a team build around this. This thing will beat threats to Water such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y and I'd like to see a proper team build around this. In case you think this is a joke, it is not! Use this exact set please. Thanks in advance!
Your boy Thimo.

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Volcarona @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest / Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz / Roost
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Requesting a Mono Bug team made around Volcarona. Volcarona is one of the best mons in Bug Mono due to it's awesome sweeping capabilities with Quiver Dance, and ability to beat Steel types with Fire STAB or HP Ground if Heatran. (Also is a neat check to Scizor). It does have a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, however, meaning it must have some support to work correctly. Thanks in advance! I'm not married to the set or moves, so you can change it up if you like n_n
Reserved :)

While Psychic might be a common type, these two sets aren't, and are a lot of fun to play with. The team is probably going to end up being HO, but if not that's cool too. LO attacker Deoxys-S is a long time favorite set of mine, but it just really doesn't get to shine very much. Also, Sashed Hoopa-U is an awesome idea that I think should really be explored further. There's some speed control and threat control built into this core, so I'm interested in seeing where you can go with this! The Hoopa-U moveset can be changed to meet your needs, but please keep the sash! I want to really play with Magician.

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hoopa-Unbound @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Drain Punch
- Hyperspace Hole

Edit: Messed up Deoxys-S EVs and Nature. Sorry!

I think a really fun thing to build around would be Mega Beedrill! Personally, its 1 of my favorite megas, and it shines a bit on Poison due to the fact that 1, its incredibly fast (fast enough even to outpace base 80 scarfers that threaten Poison Teams, Hoopa-U, Togekiss, Gardevoir, and Chandelure being great examples), and it has the ability to sweep Psychic rather easily. Despite the fact that it is frail, and its movepool is on the shallow side, I think with proper teammates, it could work great! Here's the set I would probably use:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Protect

Thanks a bunch! This was a brilliant idea Paleo, looking forward to see what other creative ideas spark up :)

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I want a flying team based around this:
(Raj x chakra x glack) Driftblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spdef / 8 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stockpile
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Disable

Before I ran this as a spinblocker on my HO flying team with this weird set. Stockpile to increase defenses to live SE hits and act WP. Sub for status. BP to pass stats. Disable is good.

I use good sets in pokemon i swear!!

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I want a flying team based around this:
(Raj x chakra x glack) Driftblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spdef / 8 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stockpile
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Disable

Before I ran this as a spinblocker on my HO flying team with this weird set. Stockpile to increase defenses to live SE hits and act WP. Sub for status. BP to pass stats. Disable is good.

I use good sets in pokemon i swear!!
Yo let me get this! I have some interesting ideas already. Probably gonna try and finish the two I have before moving on to any others though.

Cell

Birth By Sleep
MPL Champion
scpinion

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Psyshock

Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Naive Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Spikes

Overall it was a really cool core to build around with that leaves a lot of options. During my first glance at the core I noticed that next to the Jirachi spread the owner said he was fine with however the evs were changed so I ended up running 40 evs to creep tank chomp, Gliscor, Tyranitar, etc. After looking at the core, I noticed it was fairly week to Bug and was often forced to sac something causing me to make the decision to add Victini since it provides a much needed revenge killer and a Bug check. Needing something that helps against Flying, I added Starmie since Flying does not have much switch-ins to a Hydro Pump, Psyshock, or Ice Beam aside from mega and regular Gyarados.

Starmie is also a heavily appreciated hazard remover to the team. Next, the team was weak to dark so I added Gardevoir-Mega. I added Calm Mind to break Normal better and hit the opposing team a lot harder. Finally, the team needed a Stealth Rock user with a good Speed tier, which in this case Deoxys-Speed was a good choice for this spot. Due to the lack of sufficient walls the team is very weak to teams that use an offensive playstyle such as Ground and Steel. The strategy the team uses is somewhat basic, simply get hazards up with Deoxys-Speed to apply pressure for the rest of the team to take advantage of and try to get into a sweeping position.

Shoutout to Attribute for help with the initial draft!

Last edited:

Cell

Birth By Sleep
MPL Champion
I think a really fun thing to build around would be Mega Beedrill! Personally, its 1 of my favorite megas, and it shines a bit on Poison due to the fact that 1, its incredibly fast (fast enough even to outpace base 80 scarfers that threaten Poison Teams, Hoopa-U, Togekiss, Gardevoir, and Chandelure being great examples), and it has the ability to sweep Psychic rather easily. Despite the fact that it is frail, and its movepool is on the shallow side, I think with proper teammates, it could work great! Here's the set I would probably use:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Protect

Thanks a bunch! This was a brilliant idea Paleo, looking forward to see what other creative ideas spark up :)
Reserved

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Azelea

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Hasty Nature
- Protect/Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Memento
- Stun Spore

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Foul Play/Light Screen
- Thunder Wave/Magnet Rise
- Reflect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Flamethrower
- Aura Sphere

I wanted to make this kind of into an offensive tailwind team after thinking about it a lot. Starting off with Diancie, I decided to add rocks next to protect to ensure a main hazard on this fairy team, just encase Diancie does or does not mega. Seeing how Gardevoir and Diancie both had weaknesses to Physical Attackers and most importantly Scizor and Bisharp, I decided to add Klefki as a soft check with Foul Play as an option as well as Reflect. It also provides more hazards on my side of the field which is good for the offensive build and pressure. I then added Togekiss with a Choice Scarf as a Soft Landorus Check with Air Slash because Landorus is a threat against Fairy. Aura Sphere and Flamethrower are coverage moves against Scizors and Tyranitars. Seeing how this team was weak to Specially Defensive mons and I needed more physical coverage I added Belly Drum Azu as a potential sweeper and physical mon coverage. Finally Whimsicott was added for tailwind, and to paralyze a threat against this team such as Landorus, and to ensure a set up with azu/less damage on the team memento was added. It was fun building this team

Last edited:
Yo lemme get a grass team with

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

Ive been playing alot of UU lately and have fell in love with this mon. Life Orb Whimsicott is so fun to use

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

Ive Never seen this mon used in mono, LIKE EVER. Spikes user for a more offensive grass team unlike ferrothorn

Cell

Birth By Sleep
MPL Champion

Landorus (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Shortly after Smooth Rock ban right around when Hoopa was released I was randomly playing around looking for potential Landorus sets and I found that it had access to both Sand Force and a decent Physical movepool including U-Turn and Knock Off allowing it to be a proficient Physical attacker. Requesting a Ground build around this.

Yo lemme get a grass team with

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

Ive been playing alot of UU lately and have fell in love with this mon. Life Orb Whimsicott is so fun to use

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

Ive Never seen this mon used in mono, LIKE EVER. Spikes user for a more offensive grass team unlike ferrothorn
Gonna give this a go

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Landorus (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Shortly after Smooth Rock ban right around when Hoopa was released I was randomly playing around looking for potential Landorus sets and I found that it had access to both Sand Force and a decent Physical movepool including U-Turn and Knock Off allowing it to be a proficient Physical attacker. Requesting a Ground build around this.
Seems cool reserved

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cell

Hippowdon @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Landorus @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 176 HP / 248 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ancient Power

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Superpower

I wanted to make a sand team so Hippowdon was a must with the Sand Stream to set the Sand up. I assumed by the core that the team was going to be offensive. Hippowdon is a mixed wall with Slack Off to recover HP as well as Rocks to pressure opponent. It also has Whirlwind to stop set up sweepers as well. Earthquake is attacking move used so that Hippowdon is not a sitting duck. I went with mixed defensive because looking at the rough sketch of the team I had nothing besides Hippowdon could take repeated special and physical hits although Seismitoad and Camerupt can take some hits. Eject button is used to have the maximum amount of sand turns although it is a one-time use and can be replaced with Leftovers. So next I added Excadrill to abuse the sand that Hippowdon summons to the field. I went with Item Life Orb over Choice Band due to fact of having two Mons that are both Choice Banded is usually not a good idea due to being set up bait. I went with Dual STAB(Earthquake and Iron Head). The two other moves I choose were Rock Slide for extra coverage and Rapid Spin for hazard control. Swords Dance can be ran over Iron Head or Rock Slide to increase Excadrill's sweeping potential. I went with Mega Camerupt on this sort of style because I thought it would fit in better than Mega Garchomp on this team because I didn't want half of the team to rely on an unreliable factor being Sand. Although, Mega Garchomp can work outside of Sand. Camerupt also helps fill the void that is left by not having a Special Landrous-I. The 84 speed EVs are used to outspeed base 30's most notably Slowbro after Mega Evolving. Fire Blast and Earth Power are both STAB and hit very hard with Sheer Force. Ancient Power is a coverage moves for Pokemon like Charziard-Y. Wil-o-Wisp is used to burn your opponent and cut their attack stat in half. Seismitoad is the water check of the team the 184 speed EVs allow it to outspeed Jolly Crawdaunt allowing Seismitoad to deal massive damage to Crawdaunt with Earth Power. (Yes Earth Power does more than Grass Knot). Sludge Bomb is used to deal with fairies such as Azumaril that can be major threats to this team(Can be replaced with Sludge Wave). Scald is the other STAB primarily used for fishing for Burn. Grass Knot is used to kill water Ground Mons (Swampert, Gastro, other Seismitoads) I looked at the team and saw that the core struggled a bit with the flying core ( more specifically Gliscor although uncommon on Flying Teams was a problem along with Skarm Zapdos Core) so I added Nidoking. Earth Power and Sludge Wave are main STABS. Ice Beam is used to kill most flying types that are not dealt with by other team members. Superpower is used to catch bulky Normal Pokemon such as Chansey of guard by doing massive amounts of Super Effective damage to them.

Hi! I'd like to request a team with the core of two interesting sets for two common mons in flying: Charizard Y and Gyarados.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 132 SpD / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Taunt

Physical DD Zard Y is a set that I've tried in OU a bit (back in 2014) and it's helped to lure certain mons such as chansey, as Zard Y is usually special and a +1 FB in the sun does over 70% (max roll of 83.6%) to a 252 hp and 252+ def chansey. Solarbeam helps deal a huge chunk to water types that believe zard Y is a solely a physical set and takes out faster water types that try to revenge kill zard (at +1 speed, zard y is faster than threats such as starmie and keldeo). Since the physical set usually carries earthquake, dragon claw helps to lure the lati twins.

+1 252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 501-589 (71.1 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 296-350 (112.9 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 282-334 (87.3 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+1 252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Dragon Claw vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 246-290 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With that specific zard y set, it gets completely walled by heatran, has trouble with rain teams, and rocks are an issue. Support gyarados helps alleviate all three issues. Waterfall deals a good chunk to heatran, thunder wave helps cripple faster threats (such as kingdra and kabutops in rain), and taunt helps prevent rocks from getting set up when gyara is against slower SR setters (60 speed evs to creep upon some sr setters such as heatran). Rest is there for longevity. Gyara also beats non stone edge mega swampert in rain (edge from adamant mega swamp has a 4.7% change to 2HKO gyara after lefties recovery). A specs draco from Kingdra does 74% max to gyara (so you can take one draco even after rocks, cripple with twave, then rest up), while a -1 edge from kabutops 2HKOs gyara. The given spread of 248 hp, 68+ def, and 132 spd allows gyara to do this. So, if played correctly, gyara can cripple both kabutops and kingdra with twave.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 132 SpD Gyarados: 246-291 (62.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 68+ Def Gyarados: 180-214 (45.8 - 54.4%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 68+ Def Gyarados: 289-343 (73.5 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Feel free to change either of the spreads on both mons. Thanks for giving this a read :]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)