The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Alright, I was 7 and had just got pokemon fire red, as I got through mt. Moon I did not want to jump over the edge as I thought I'd be unable to get back... I went back and just grinded.

I ended up with a nice team of level 43 blastoise, a gyarados (evolved by switching) a graveler (at least level 25) amd a raticate (at least level 21) with one badge.

To this date I still have the blastoise, it's on my X version and it have a almost flawless 255/255 def/spe spread thanks to the EV gained from countless zubats and geodudes.

Edit: in the same game, squrtle was my first pokemon to evolve, when it came up on the evolution screen (I am not native English speaking, therefore I did not know what the weird pokemon language meant) I started crying, ran into my dad with my ds in my hand saying "someone is stealing my squrtle"

Last edited:
In diamond me and my friend was trading on gts, he searched for magikarp and there was one offering a shiny (he had 5 people show up, I had 3) I could not find it, the person wanted a level 100 dialga, so I traded my dialga to my friend so he could get me the magikarp! I was so happy and got it to level 98 in 1 day (was Lv. 19) years later I found out it was hacked .-. Mt.Covernent and cought in a cherish ball.

Facepalm worthy things?

• Using the Masterball in legendaries other than Mewtwo. I simply thing it's extremely ugly so it's just... why? why, stupid younger me?
  • Killing Moltres in FR. With a Charizard. Which has a really bad nature and IVs and EVs spread (I mean it's my oldest mon and my favourite forever and ever amen but it's higher stat is like 21 if it is and it's got a 0 in one of them). Using Fire Moves. Jfc I had figured they would have been the safer move??? It took me years to get to Moltres (I'm lazy with legendaries, I still haven't captured the XY bird and the year is aproaching...) and it was outleveled by everything by then, but still.
  • Using the Masterball in an Absol. Stupid choice, but to be fair it prevented me for using it with any other legendaries. And if it is the game I think it is it still does (I have either Ruby or Saphire without being finished. Because there's something in one of them that I can do easily in Emerald and then... boom! I become stupid and fail.)
  • Managing to lose an 10ANIV Ho-Oh in the GTS. It was the IV gen when cloning was easy and all that. And Ho-Oh was really solicited, so those of us who could provided. And then instead of putting an impossible match I put the most common pokemon ever. Cool. So yeah it got lost. Didn't get to be quick enough at shutting down ugh. I felt pretty bad about it until HGSS as it was, for some time, one of my usual pokemon in the post-game along with Charizard and Mewtwo (which I also lost? But I had others I like better so it's all right) because I kinda used the ones that had Sentimental Value there. Now you have to understand that other than that 10ANIV event, up until HGSS, getting a Ho-Oh where I lived was literally impossible. Error 404 File Not Found. Not even counting the GTS as a possibility here. So yeah it was a big deal.

I was playing HG And I saw entei, and I wasted my Master ball on it. 1 week later I saw ho-oh and could never catch it.
/facepalm

I was following a cloning tutorial for Pokémon pearl and since I was young I didn't realize it was fake and it said save the game after you release the Pokémon and I did it and I cried for half an hour ;-; RIP Giratina

That Pokétch app that let you 'spy' on roaming legendaries is on par with 'Do you want to use another one?' in terms of best minor features ever in Pokémon

Why didn't Game Freak keep it? :(
I liked HG/SS' idea much better, since you can actually tell which one is on your route just by opening the map on the PokeGear. They probably didn't keep it because Black and White only ever have one roamer, (Tornadus/Thundurus) and X/Y only sort of has one. (it has to be chased until it comes to rest in the Sea Spirit's Den)

...I ever mention KOing a shiny Suicune in Crystal? Because that was incredibly stupid of me to do.

Yea, there would either be a pic of a suicune, raikou, or entei on a route
Raikou, Entei, Lati@s are the only roamers. (their faces appear on the map) Suicune has to be chased around in all the spots it visited in Crystal, plus a couple more in Kanto before waiting for the player on Route 25 after Misty returns to her gym.

Just remembered another face-palm worthy thing. In Ruby at the Weather Institute, I deposited/withdrew the Pokemon I was using to heal them. I didn't realize that I could just use the bed to heal up...

The egg I got from the Day Care in Crystal hatched a shiny Cleffa. After using it in battle once, I decided it was useless and left it in my box, never to be seen again.

I didn't catch another shiny Pokemon until yesterday.

11 years.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can't think of anything critical, though there's a minor one which I think we all have had everyone in a while:

Using a move that the opponent's Pokemon is immune to.

And I don't mean they switched to a Pokemon which is immune, I mean that you for some reason, even though 99.9~% of every other time know that the Pokemon is immune to a certain attack, for some reason choose a move of that type. And it's not until that "It doesn't effect the opponent" message had appeared when the palm of you hand hits your face and you ask yourself why did you do that.

For some reason I actually do that a good number of times I'm facing a Skuntank in the Battle Maison with a Pokemon that knows a Pychic-type move. It's like:

"Oh, a Skuntank, let's see how your Poison-type likes my Raikou's Extrasensory... which your Dark-type is completely immune to *facepalm*"

I can't think of anything critical, though there's a minor one which I think we all have had everyone in a while:

Using a move that the opponent's Pokemon is immune to.

And I don't mean they switched to a Pokemon which is immune, I mean that you for some reason, even though 99.9~% of every other time know that the Pokemon is immune to a certain attack, for some reason choose a move of that type. And it's not until that "It doesn't effect the opponent" message had appeared when the palm of you hand hits your face and you ask yourself why did you do that.

For some reason I actually do that a good number of times I'm facing a Skuntank in the Battle Maison with a Pokemon that knows a Pychic-type move. It's like:

"Oh, a Skuntank, let's see how your Poison-type likes my Raikou's Extrasensory... which your Dark-type is completely immune to *facepalm*"
Oh god, how many times I've tried to have my Doublade/Aegislash use Shadow Sneak on Clemont's Normal/Electric Heliolisk... I know it can trash the lizard with Sacred Sword, yet the Normal part of its typing has more than once slipped my mind until "It doesn't effect Heliolisk..." pops up to remind me what a stupid choice I made.

That Pokétch app that let you 'spy' on roaming legendaries is on par with 'Do you want to use another one?' in terms of best minor features ever in Pokémon

Why didn't Game Freak keep it? :(
Yeah, the XY bird was a pain to catch.

I don't really know if it's facepalm worthy, but when I was younger I had played pokemon leaf green for 500+ hours, and never met a shiny or a legendary dog, and yes I knew about them :(

When XY first came out, I was looking for some sort of Pokemon in the water (which I found out wasn't avalible in the route I was fishing at) and I found a shiny Skrelp. Now at this point I didn't know too much about chain fishing, so I threw my Master Ball at it, cause it was a new Pokemon and I didn't know if it had Double Edge or something, and you know, Shiny Pokemon.
Within 5 minutes I had found another.
And then another after 7 minutes.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Not sure if this would count since it's moreso hax than player stupidity, but it's still facepalm-worthy (and admittedly quite hilarious). This is from Emerald's battle tower; the very first battle actually.

*Tuber Carlie sent out Feebas*
*Go, Latios (insert shiny animation here)*

-Turn 1-

*Latios used Thunderbolt.
*It's super-effective
*The foe's Feebas hung on using its Focus Band
*The foe's Feebas used Mirror Coat
*Latios fainted

So long story short, my RNG'd shiny Latios fainted to Magikarp's twice-removed cousin. ;_;

"Okay, I deposited my pikachu, and its no longer on my team. How do I get him out? I know, it must be release!"

-Me, my first time playing Blue.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well my turn !

When I was younger I didn't know that legendaries were unique (yes I know it's completely stupid) and I was (still am) really curious so I visited every single houses and caves.
So when I visited the Power Plant, I killed Zapdos,
when I visited the Seafoams Island, I killed Articuno
when I visited the Victory Road, I killed Moltres.

I killed the 2 snorlax aswell but who cares of him. You will ask me why I didn't kill Mewtwo ? I didn't even know the location of the Cerulean Cave ._.

A guy, he's like OMG I FOUND A SHINY KYUREM! AWWWWW YEAH!!! *throws a masterball* *forgets to save* *powers off ds* OMG I FORGOT TO SAVE!!!!! AWWWW NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Note: please add 86336777328147 more exclamation points after this

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The most facepalm worthy thing(s) I've done lately is with breeding, I'll take a full party of freshly hatched eggs to get their IVs checked, then mark the wrong IVs/Pokemon in the PC and release the good ones. For example right now I'm breeding for HP Ground Pidgeys with a 31/31/31/30/30/31 Ditto and 31/31/31/6/30/31 Pidgey. I know I will have hatched a 31/x/31/30/30/31 Pidgey when the IV guy says it is 'outstanding' and doesn't mention attack (since 31/x/31/6/30/31 is usually 'relatively superior'). I hatched one like this but somehow managed to release it and not realise until after I had saved and entered the battle institute... I even thought the IV calculators were at fault before going back to the IV guy for him to say 'HP, attack and speed can't be beat'... Back to the Daycare guy I guess

edit: it's cool, I hatched a 31/4/31/30/30/31 female in the next batch. Time to breed from that and get the ESVs checked!

Last edited:
I remembered my first gameplay of Sapphire years ago, I somehow manged to not notice the masterball in Team Aqua's hideout and spent that entire playthrough without one. By the time I discovered where it was supposed to be, the hideout was sealed up...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)