The NBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of the year again! For some reason, by the time the finals roll around, I lose my interest and only end up watching like 2 games. Werid. Anyways, Lakers are getting the calls in Game 3.

lol your assertion is ridiculous omni - they are up 2-0 in the NBA finals! It is no guarantee, but they sure as hell should be on fire and so excited, while the Lakers are probably quite a bit more demoralized.

I found this in the Daily Dime, from Curt Schilling's blog (a guy who, whether you like him or not, is very honest in his blog, so I like this take a lot). I never got why people are ready to pronounce Kobe as changed and some better person or some shit. He is a whiny ass guy. Yeah, he is a killer player and I would still probably want him on my team, but he pretty obviously is a chemistry killer; he has NOT brought his team together or any shit like that.

"This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn't know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy bitch at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren't doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about "hey let's go, let's get after it" or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team.
"...as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after-effects of conversations. He'd yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a 'whatever dude' look."

I don't think they can be that demoralized right now. They need to protect their home court, I mean, the lakers were down 2-0 to the Spurs a few years back and still won as well as the Heat coming back from 0-2 against Dallas.

As for Schilling? Who the fuck is he to judge Kobe based on what he saw from his court side seat. Hell, I see Garnett cussing all the time at teammates and opposing players. Kobe may be whiny but he is not a chemistry killer. I would yell at my teammates if they were not aggresive and playing hard too. He led them to the best record in one of the toughest Western conferences ever. Hell, Kobe has 3 rings...what about the perfect chemistry guys like Garnett, Pierce, Allen? Oh yah NO RINGS yet (hopefully it stays that way = P).

Celtics in 6.

The sports media apparently doesn't do much research. They said that Tim Donaghy, the referee that rigged games, made allegations about a 2002 playoff series being extended to a 7th game and that the series was unspecified. I looked this up on Wikipedia (the best source for this kind of thing), and it showed only one 2002 playoff series going to 7 games: the Western Conference Finals, in which the Lakers faced the Kings.
"In a highly contested game 6 at the STAPLES Center, the Kings lost narrowly. The Kings shot nine free throws in the fourth quarter to the Lakers 27. The Kings would go on to lose the series. In the seventh and final game, poor free throw shooting would doom the Kings; making only 16 of 30 free throws (53.3%)."

I think that's the one.

Ok, now it's up on ESPN.com, so I was correct. When I posted, it was still unspecified.

Who else loved the foul call on Pierce (at 66-64) where Farmar's feet were BLATANTLY moving, but no sir, that is an offensive foul!

Thegreenguy do you fucking realize the Heat did not beat the Mavericks; only shitty refereeing did. The Mavericks completely dominated five of six games and the Heat were demoralized as fuck until every call started going their way.

yeah that was a bad call kirby, but the one thing the refs did really pissed me off.

With about 1:30 left in the game pierce took it to the basket and did that thing all scorers do to get fouled by jumping into defenders, arms flying everywhere, no call. Im okay with them not calling that, as long as their CONSISTENT. That wasnt the bad part however. The lakers because of that bad shot got the fast break, and fisher just dove into the celtics to draw the foul, EXACTLY the same way pierce did. That really pissed me off. When pierce drove the celts were down 5, if he made free throws it would of been a 3 pt game with 1:30 left, instead it was a 7 pt game with 1:25 left, that made a huge difference.

Yet i will say the lakers played better for most of that game (except 3rd quarter) and deserved to win, i give credit for the celts almost stealing one with pierce and kg vitually invisible. Pierce will not be held under 10 again.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
that was a fairly bullshit game in terms of favoring LA

I'd like to say "Odom and Gasol won't be held under 10 again either" but they've sucked this whole series

EDIT:

Why has nobody talked about the allegations referring to Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals involving the Lakers and Kings?

I'm not sure how credible Tim Donaghy is to you but let me tell you - why the fuck would he lie to the feds? I definitely feel that there were cases of blatantly awful officiating *cough Lebron James travel game 3 of 2006 1st round cough* that clearly served what the league would want.

Personally I want to lakers to win because Boston already has 8 to the Lakers 2, but I don't think there going to win Games 4 and 5, and if they go down 3-2, winning 2 in Boston will be difficult.

Well the only thing Kobe knows how to do is be an ass towards teammate, if you want him to shut up and not yell at them, then we can all look to that second half of game seven against the Suns like 2 years ago. He pretty much proved there that it's only his way and no other way. To be honest, Jordan was pretty much an ass too, except it wasn't that public and his teammates were better than Kobe's so you wouldn't expect to see some headline such as "Jordan Cusses Out Pippen!"

As for Game 3, after the whole Game 2 FT thing, it was guaranteed that Lakers would get a lot of calls. There's no way they would have ignored all those comments from Phil Jack and the media and everyone else. It was pretty much like that Subway commercial where the ref was like, "That was a bad call. We had no reason to make that call, but don't worry, in the second half we will make another call for the other team, for no reason, to make up for that last call."

Also KG is still a choke artist.

Odom was always a choke artist.

Sam Cassell 1 shot attempt per 40 seconds still is amazing.

Hornets would've won the whole thing this year if they didn't didn't let Pargo play the 4th quarter.

And that seems to sum up all my thoughts up until now.

all the lakers do is whine, what a bunch of crybabys

man up and play the game. If you look at the celtics, with the exception of perkins, NOBODY complains, they just play the game. They know they had some bad calls against them, but they just play it how it should be, the past.

the WHOLE LAKERS TEAM complains on every single play, its really getting annoying, and i wouldnt be suprised if the refs are seeing this too. If i was a ref right now, i'd hate all the lakers nagging me for every call, and lean towards the more mature celtics.

For game 4, i think this is the best shot the celts have to win in LA, and i think tonight will be LA's first home loss. Looking for pierce to redeem himself after that pitiful performance. Also, the rumor going around is that tony allen is going to get alot of playtime tonight. Hopefully doc will just play house/tony at backup pg, and no cassell at all, he helps the lakers more then he helps the celts.

I am such a L.A L fan and I am really looking forward to the game today.
Lakers played so well on Tuesday and I'm really proud of them.

BTW, did you see that slam dunk miss by KG?
That was funny as hell

you can't call any team mature cause every single player fucking bitches. pierce arguably bitches as much as any laker so you're just being a hypocrite and a total homer

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow Lakers you started out strong but just couldn't finish it!

MVP Kobe, crowd? MORE LIKE PIERCE MUTHAS!

Celtics... so... awesome.

I believe my Celts in 6 prediction is coming true before my very eyes. Celts in 5 would be ridiculous. Nobody wants to be schooled on their home court twice.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Lakers are soft physically and mentally and their defense is mediocre at best.

Defense wins championships; that will never change, no matter how much the "casual fan" would like it to.

That bicycle by Pierce in the third quarter was the most exciting shot of the whole finals so far. Not only was it an amazingly beauiful shot, but the timing (nearly tying the game) was even better after everything preceding it.

Since I am in Austin and all the Spurs and Mavericks fan root against the Lakers, everyone went crazy at the end of the game at the gym that I was at.

I would just like to say that it's amazing that the Celtics have made it this far with a mediocre-at-best coach like Doc Rivers. Just imagine how dominant they would've been with a real coach.

Even if and when the Lakers lose, they're going to be absolutely terrifying once Bynum returns ._. Lamar Odom as a fourth option scares me.

Anyway, even though I dislike both teams extensively, I definitely picked the Lakers to win-I just didn't think Gasol and Odom were that soft on the boards. Getting outboarded by Garnett is a given, but Kendrick PERKINS? Leon Powe? =p

(P.S: boston fans suck. you only jump on the wagon for teams when they get in a championship position, but during the hard times you guys are nowhere to be found. Exception being the Sox fans.)

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
rivers was actually pretty good in this game and hasnt been too bad in the finals overall. hes finally playing house over sam cassell's corpse and giving posey big minutes down the stretch. also I think both fan bases are pretty insufferable and filled with bandwagoners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)