The NBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arenas getting 6 years 128 wtf

I am one of the biggest Gil homers you'll ever see but i'm getting sick of his "not only do you have to pay me you have to pay my boyz" shit, we fucking NEEDED to get rid of Jamison at ANY COST and now we're locked into awful contracts for the next few years.

and all the while we're still a no-defense 45 win at best 1st round playoff exit team.

actually fuck that we probably won't even make it because every other team is getting significantly better

Yea, there are some big contracts out there. That thing about i'll only play if you pay Jamison is pretty funny. If Arenas stays healthy next season, i feel they can get past the first round, but not much farther.

Baron has betrayed us. Guess Warriors are going to suck again, just like in the good ol' days.
Los Angeles Times said:
A tipping point for Davis may have come late last season when Warriors Coach Don Nelson benched him for the second half of a pivotal game.
Baron was pissed off. Also the article says that the Warriors made no counter offer, though Baron is only getting $13 million with the Clippers and he had $17.8 million contract with the Warriors. I suppose it's not just about the money...maybe he wants to be back in LA.

I find it funny that the Warriors made a $90 million offer to Brand to try to lure him away from the Clippers.

EDIT: No more Seattle Supersonics? Oklahoma City SuperSonics? WTF? Honestly...I like when teams stay still.

Boy it must suck being a Seattle sports fans right now. SuperSonics just left, Mariners stink, still 2 months till the Seahawks play ~_~

Just wanted to post that Warren J. Ferguson died. I didn't know this, but before the early 1970s, players wanting to sign had to have four years of college. Ferguson said that this violated the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, thus paving the way for two-year college students and straight-from-high-school players to join the NBA.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
wait, how can you say the sixers will "still" suck. that implies that they sucked last year, which they didn't. haha.

we're a 50 win team now. we had 40 last year. brand gives an easy 10-game improvement.

I think the Sixers have a chance for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. EB is a proven stud in the post + Dalembert should be enough to compete with the other bigs in the East. They also have that other A.I who is pretty damn good.

I think the Sixers have a chance for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. EB is a proven stud in the post + Dalembert should be enough to compete with the other bigs in the East. They also have that other A.I who is pretty damn good.
I don't think home-court in the first round is the future for the Sixers. With Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Washington, and Toronto in the East, it'll be hard for them to crack the Top 4 in East. But there have been sursprises.

I admit:
-Elton Brand is good. But who knows if that injury will still be lingering in the back of his head to maybe, stop him from being the beast he can be. Opinion: I think Elton Brand needs to reestablish his dominance in the paint.
-Samuel Dalembert is a mainly defensive player. With this in mind, think of the elite bigs in the East: Boston's Kevin Garnett and hussle player Kendrick Perkins. Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Jason Maxiel (spelling?). Orlando's Dwight Howard. Toronto's Chris Bosh and Jermaine O'Neal. Washington's improved Brendan Haywood. Opinion: Although Samuel Dalembert will not be guarding all of these players I mentioned, better offense usually beats better defense in the post.
-Ahh... the new A.I. of Philadelphia. Andre Igoudala. He'll only continue to improve, you can pencil in his usual stats on any given night. Opinion: Iggy will continue to deliver, the only downside to Iggy is youth?

Conclusion:
The Philadelphia 76ers will indeed make the playoffs. But it will be unlikely to obtain home-court advantage in the East.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
I don't think home-court in the first round is the future for the Sixers. With Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Washington, and Toronto in the East, it'll be hard for them to crack the Top 4 in East. But there have been sursprises.
Philly is easily better than Toronto, Washington (and Cleveland), and arguably better than Orlando (that roster is so terrible - they wasted money on Pietrus and their roster is capped out).

They'll be no worse than 5th.

Speaking of Washington, am I the only one who thinks we have very little chance at a future? Jamison is a good player but an awful fit for this team. Butler is a bad fit with the Jamison + Arenas combo (they need someone like the player Blatche is supposed to become), our defense sucks and our HC is arguably the worst in basketball.

assuming philly keeps iguodala, which i really havent heard anything about in any rumors so i assume he's staying. (He's a restricted free agent for those who dont know). In that case

Andre Miller
Andre Iguodala
Thaddeus Young
Elton Brand
Samuel Dalembert

with green/evans/williams (assuming the resign williams) as the key bench players. On paper it looks good but its way to early to say anything, because it heavily depends on their teamwork, chemistry, and defence. They look like good 1 on 1 defensively so it will be interesting to see what happens this season for them.

Also, i'd like to ask why everybody is so down on andre miller. Everywhere i see people say philly needs a new pg, louis williams need to step up etc. Then i watch the sixers and i think andre miller was the best player on their team last year, had a great season, and is the biggest part of their 2nd season push to the playoffs. Miller is why the team worked at all. They have him under contract for one more year and i think should look into resigning him next year.

Indiana sends their franchise player to Toronto for some guard? What the fuck?

That's almost as bad as Boston trading Antoine Walker for Raef LaFrentz.

Now I'm worried. I thought Clippers had it when they signed Davis, but now they have Maggette AND Brand going away...ahhh god. I still have hope, but man...

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
Indiana sends their franchise player to Toronto for some guard? What the fuck?

That's almost as bad as Boston trading Antoine Walker for Raef LaFrentz.

Antoine Walker? You mean one of the least efficient players in NBA history (his career FG% is something like .410 - as a POWER FORWARD)? A player who hung on the perimeter as a 6'11 PF? A player who has a history of being a team cancer?

Yeah, LaFrentz isn't great but it's not like Walker was any kind of a star.

Any of you watching the NBA Summer League? Seems like all the games are on NBATV so I haven't seen any.

Sounds like the rookies are doing well.

Sounds like the rookies are doing well.
They'd better be, playing against guys who will be playing in Europe in the fall at best and flipping burgers at the end of the league at worst.

As for the Sixers, let's roll this out RMT-threat list style, shall we?

Boston - Defending Champs and loaded with talent, although Brand is a much better low post presence than Garnett who shies away from the underneath game to try and take jump shots. Still, Boston is ahead of us.

Detroit - Perhaps ready to blow things up? Who knows at this point. They have 'Sheed, who can guard Brand down low. Still a force to be reckoned with, although it's a lot closer

Orlando - Howard's a beast, but who else they got? If they're not making their threes, they're done. I think the Sixers can be better than themt his year.

Toronto - Elton Brand will eat Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh for lunch. Bank on it. Better than them.

Cleveland - I believe in the power of King James, but as a team, they rely on Ben Wallace (lol) for rebounds. Brand kills them. We're a better team.

Washington - Could be a conflict of styles here. They play Nellie-Ball the best out of any team in the East. Close call, but come playoff time, no, sorry.

Atlanta - Could be a problem, but once again, no low-post game to deal with Brand.

Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Charlotte, Miami - lol

So, the only teams I think are clearly better than us at this point on paper are Boston and possibly Detroit. On the court, everything's different, and predictions can blow up in people's faces. Still, it's not all that unlikely to see us with the home court advantage in the first round or even beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)