Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs Slowbro:

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature/Quiet Nature

- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam/Trick/Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast

Slowbro makes an amazing Specs user IMO. It has good SpA, regenerator which helps it to come in and out repeatedly each match, and a very good offensive movepool, including Fire Blast to turn Ferrothorn from a solid check to nothingness. Scald is a great move for bulky waters, and SpecsBro does a good amount of power with it. Psyshock is another great move, allowing Slowbro to damage special walls who would normally be problematic. Ice Beam has good coverage, helping hit Mandibuzz and dragon types, who are prevalent in this any meta. Trick is an option over this (courtesy of boltsandbombers), allowing Slowbro to cripple bulky walls who can't be hit SE, such as Alomomola and other Slowbro. As other Slowbro resist all normal options to this set, Shadow ball is a niche option to hit them, although most are crippled by Trick. Fire Blast is the main reason I even thought of this set, with amazing coverage helping it to destroy Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Bisharp among others, who would normally be reasonably safe switch ins (Bish risks scald burn though). The only times I've encountered SpecsBro it's done well, proving itself on my TR team (the rest of it sucked, but SpecsBro was a gem) and in a battle I lost to it where it played a big part. Quiet is slashed for TR teams.
Also note don't use focus blast, despite the fact it hits Crawdaunt, MDos and Sharpedo who kinda ruin this set, you shouldn't keep the Bro in on them, and it's probably going to miss if you predict a switch in. They also don't enjoy switching in to scald for risk of a burn as well.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Specs Slowbro:

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature/Quiet Nature

- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Slowbro makes an amazing Specs user IMO. It has good SpA, regenerator which helps it to come in and out repeatedly each match, and a very good offensive movepool, including Fire Blast to turn Ferrothorn from a solid check to nothingness. Scald is a great move for bulky waters, and SpecsBro does a gopd amount of power with it. Psyshock is anothr great move, allowing Slowbro to damage special walls who would normally be problematic. Ice Beam has good coverage, helping hit Mandibuzz and dragon types, who are prevaient in this any meta. Fire Blast is the main reason I even thought of this set, with amazing coverage helping it to destroy Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Bisharp among others, who would normally be reasonably safe switch ins (Bish risks scald burn though). The only times I've encountered SpecsBro it's done well, proving itself on my TR team (the rest of it sucked, but SpecsBro was a gem) and in a battle I lost to it where it played a big part. Quiet is slashed for TR teams.
Cool set, although trick is a really good option for specs slowbro (which I've seen used here and there) to cripple stuff like Celebi that likes to switch in.

p2

Banned deucer.
Slowbro @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Heal Pulse
- Recycle
- Slack Off

:D

Slowbro has a pretty cool movepool, but I really don't know what it could use because a lot of it is pretty useless or physical moves, so I guess I'll go with Yawn Slowbro

Slowbro @ Leftovers / Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Yawn

It's pretty simple, try to cripple and force stuff out with Yawn and screw over setup sweepers. Due to Slowbros large physical bulk, it can come on Physical attackers fairly easily and shut them down for a teammate. And because of Regenerator + Slack Off, it can stay healthy for a pretty long time and can in general, be really annoying for opponents, as long as they don't have a Magic Bouncer. I got the idea from ben gays replay using Empoleon, which gives an idea of how annoying it can be

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
OTR Slowbro. o:

Slowbro @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

While Slowbro is usually used as a Physically Defensive wall, this set makes use of its solid base 100 Special Attack, abysmal 30 base Speed & solid coverage to turn it into a devastatingly powerful attacker in Trick Room. Life Orb + Regenerator works similar to that of OTR Reuniclus being able to fire off attacks at will, switch out of checks / counters, then come back out (Recovering off damage) to dish out some more damage. Water / Psychic / Ice gets amazing coverage, only missing out on Slowbro itself, Slowking, Crawdaunt, Empoleon, & Mega Gyarados.

252+ SpA Life Orb Slowbro Surf vs. 248 HP / 224 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 190-226 (47.1 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Slowbro Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 244-289 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 187-221 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 172-203 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Mega Altaria: 195-231 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
3 attacks + Slack Off tankbro :]
or

Slowbro @ Slowbronite / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Although Mega Slowbro is usually used for Calm Mind sweeping, it can actually function very well as an offensive tank with 3 attacks + Slack Off to heal off damage. As Ciel stated, Slowbro has very nice coverage between its STABs and solid coverage moves such as Fire Blast and Ice Beam (pretty much team dependant which of the two you take) and a solid Special Attack of 130, which coupled with its Defense, makes this set a great addition to balanced teams that want more immediate power and / or do not need another wincondition, yet need Slowbro's typing and / or bulk. This works best with Slowbronite but if you already got another Mega Evolution then you can just use regular Slowbro.

Belly Drum Slowbro

Sub' Bro + Disable

Slowbro @ Leftovers

EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Scald
- Filler

Similar to Gengar but more passive and annoying. The aim of the set is to spread scald burns and annoy the opponent with the combination of Sub+Disable. The spread lets the sub' not to be faded by a moonblast from 0 spa. Clefable. The 4° move slot can be use for either coverage, status or calm mind.
PS: I really wanted to do BD 'bro but it´s revengable(i don´t know if that´s how you say it) afk :[

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Combining OTR and Yawn to TR Setter Slowbro

Slowbro @ Slowbronite / Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator / Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Yawn
- Scald
- Fire Blast / Slack Off

Trick Room teams really like momentum to get their Trick Room sweepers / wallbreakers in for free and Yawn is a good way to do this. Using Yawn and Trick Room gives you a free switch into one of your trick room attackers as they will be put to sleep if they don't switch out.
Leftovers is often prefered because you want to save your mega slot for Camerupt, Ampharos, Heracross or Abomasnow, but if you have the slot left Mega Slowbro is better most of the time because it can get a Trick Room up more reliable.

This will be interesting... Not sure what to call it, but we'll call him TortureBro.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Special Defense
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Yawn
- Nightmare
- Dream Eater

With this set, you'll basically send Slowbro in on something that it can wall well, and trap it with Whirlpool. Then, you use Yawn and, lo and behold, they can't switch even while asleep. The enemy will take Whirlpool damage and Nightmare damage over time (Nightmare is when they're asleep, of course). Leftovers and Dream Eater will keep you alive at the same time until you finish the job. Another fun part is that you can't be taunted with Oblivious. Yay~.

How about CurseBro Rain Support Slowbro.
Slowbro @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Toxic (basically filler)
- Psyshock (basically filler)

This set aims to be a reliable Rain Dance setter throughout the whole match. Although it isn't able to set up rain immediately like Politoad, Slowbro has numerous advantages over the frog. First of all, unlike Politoad, Slowbro has reliable recovery in Regenerator and Slack Off (though only Regenerator is needed), allowing Slowbro to set up rain numerous times during the match. Slowbro also has noticeably more bulk, allowing it to survive longer. Slowbro also has an added psychic type, giving it useful resistances to Fighting and Psychic.

For the EVs, Slowbro has maximum defense and HP so it is able to survive longer in battle. By having maximum bulk, Slowbro can usually set up rain multiple times throughout the match.

Rain Dance and Scald are mandatory on this set. Fro the last two sets, you can pick from Slowbro's wide movepool, such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, Yawn, Slack Off, Ice Beam, and Psyshock. It really depends on what your team needs.

Dual Screen Support
Slowbro @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Scald
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Psyshock

With Regenerator and immense bulk, Slowbro makes for a great screen setter. Thanks to Regenerator, it doesn't need to use up a 3rd moveslot for recovery, giving it some flexibility and allowing it to be useful outside of setting the screens. Slowbro is nice for being able to consistently set screens throughout the match while spreading status and doing bits of damage to support the team.

The set has two main faults, however. Its low speed means that every Defogger outspeeds it, so support from a Defiant Pokemon like Bisharp or Thundurus is greatly helpful. Slowbro is also very vulnerable to Taunt on this set, as it can only Scald (or Psyshock) if something Taunts it. Otherwise, it is an effective screen setter that prefers longevity over speed unlike Latios, Azelf and Klefki.
I hate to be that guy, but Slowbro doesn't learn reflect. Sorry :-(

This is a set i have been testing recently to some success
Colbur Berry Slowbro

What is a Knock-Off (Slowbro) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

I'm an avid user of Slowbro on allot of my balanced teams, and even some offensive teams because of its amazing defensive synergy with sand cores (slowking as well). However I was becoming frustrated with the big weakness it opened up to Bisharp, Mega-Gyarados, Pursuit Trappers and the fact it had to spam slack off so much against Mons with random Knock Offs, so I decided to run Colbur Berry. And oml this thing nets so many surprise kills and is just a pain in the ass to take down in general.
(for those of you who don't know, Colbur berry is a one time use item that reduces the power of a SE dark attack by 1/2, essentially giving the user a one time Dark Neutrality)
Here are some calcs to show you what that colbur berry does:

+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 331-390 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Takes next to nothing from M-Gyara's crunch, can T-Wave back and 2HKO with Focus Blast after rocks damage
+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 331-390 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Survives it at even +4 :0 and get a T-Wave off, making it easy for a team member to come in and revenge kill
0 SpA Slowbro Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 138-164 (41.6 - 49.5%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 270-320 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Easily eats up a +2 jolly LO knock off after SR
0 SpA Slowbro Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 464-548 (170.5 - 201.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And OHKO's Back

252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch (or pursuit on switch out) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 91-108 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- 55.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
Eats up all of TTar's attacks, can 2HKO back with focus blast + Scald

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 133-156 (33.8 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Gobbles up Weaviles attacks, easily OHKO's back with focus blast

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 83-98 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- 97.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
And gives 0 fucks about what conkeldurr + other fighting types with knock off do.

As you can see, Colbur berry makes 'Bro extremely difficult to take down with dark type moves, and gets incredible synergy with sand cores (as they struggle with M-Gyara and Bisharp), Gengar (loves ScarfTar and Bisharp being lured in and removed) and is just a generally great wall.

Evs are just max-max, as there is no need to invest in special defence to avoid the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Hydro after rocks, as it takes 84 EVs to do that and its not worth sacrificing all that physical bulk. Scald and slack off are standard moves for Slowbro, and should be run on every Slowbro set, thunder wave is done to annoy offensive pokemon and shut down M-Gyara's that think they can kill you with crunch, as well as being security when you don't want to rick focus blast missing, and focus blast is in the last slot to OHKO Bisharp, as well as 2HKO'ing TTar, and dealing with allot of other dark and steel types.

This is definitely a cool set that I would encourage more people to use, seriously people try it out its absolutely amazing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)