The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
KyleCole

I can't believe none of these sets have Encore though wtf
encore is kinda standard i think
like tailwind, beat up, encore, fake out i think is the main one so people didn't want to put standard because this is the next best thing

reserving specs, band, scarf, LO, liechi berry, power herb, trick room, eZ, AV, DONUT STEAL

Tornadus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 140 HP / 136 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Protect

This nifty Tornadus set is the doubles version of a suicide lead/support. Its purpose is to get off tailwind as quickly as possible, and since sitrus berry will probably be activated, it can start hitting things with acrobatics. Tornadus is not very bulky, but this one lives a rock slide from Landoge, lives a Double-Edge from adamant Mega Khan at -1 (bring intimidate support!) 100% of the time, and lives a stone edge from -1 Landoge. It probably does other things too, but it's late zzzzz these are the most important. The speed investment lets it outspeed timid keldeo, and the attack lets it ohko Keldeo with acrobatics (without an item). The idea is to get up tailwind, and then wham. Either way, I really don't recommend using tornadus in smogon doubles because it's pretty bad, but if you do end up using it, give this set a try (and let me know if it sucks, but it looks great on paper! :])

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 84 HP / 148 Def / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Protect
Balanced Manual Rain Tornadus is one of the few reasons to consider using Tornadus in Doubles, but Torn does perform this role well. Rain Dance + Damp Rock gives Rain 8 turns instead of 5 once you activate it. Hurricane is nice for not only doing damage, but swinging hax in your favour with a 30% chance to confuse the opponent, and of course it can't miss in rain. Focus Blast is Tornadus's best option for special coverage on a rain team, and Protect does that thing that Protect does.
The EV spread gives Tornadus maximum special attack and hits a speed stat of 264, outspeeding Pokemon that want to speed creep base 70s (the smogdex Thundurus set for example, among others), the remaining EVs were split between HP and Def to survive a Mega Kangaskhan Return with as much HP as possible.
Tailwind > Focus Blast is an option, but having double set up with one attack doesn't capitalize on Tornadus's Offensive potential, and I didn't want to give up Protect.

This Tornadus set works best on a team trying to include a rain mode/option on their team but doesn't require using it, or on a team that is so weather reliant that just having Politoed isn't enough

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's a Tornadus I've used before as a secondary + manual rain setter that also helped me clear away things that cockblocked rain.

Wind Waker (Tornadus) (M) @ Sky Plate / Expert Belt
EVs: 200 HP / 128 Def / 156 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Protect
- Tailwind / Focus Blast

I didn't consider using Damp Rock as the Politoed already had that, so I opted to use a Sky Plate instead. Sky Plate combined with the 156 SpA and a Modest nature guarantees an OHKO on 252 / 72+ Amoonguss which is an absolute bitch to play against as a Rain team, it also gets the OHKO on 252 / 0 Mega Venusaur, which Modest 252 fails to guarantee the ko on. It also has a roughly 2/3 chance to OHKO 252 / 80 Mega Venu, which is pretty sweet as well. The 24 Speed EV's creep 70's and the 200 HP / 128 Def guarantees you'll survive a Jolly MKang Return 100% of the time (bar crits obviously) and survives the Adamant variants 7/8 times iirc. I personally opt for Tailwind over Focus Blast, so that Tornadus can also benefit the rest of the team outside of setting Rain and fucking up Grass types, but Focus Miss can be used as well to get heavy damage off against Ferrothorn, Tyranitar and Heatran. Just a word of advice, if you're using Focus Blast, I recommend using an Expert Belt, which when combined with the 156+ EVs, has a 25% chance to OHKO 252 / 4 Mega Tyranitar in Sand, and literally annihilates it outside of Sand.

Relevant calcs:
Offensive:

Vs Amoonguss: 156+ SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 432-510 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs Mega Venusaur: 156+ SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 368-434 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs 80 SpD Mega Venusaur: 156+ SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Mega Venusaur: 342-404 (93.9 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
156+ SpA Expert Belt Tornadus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 355-422 (87.8 - 104.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO <--- damn son

Defensive:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 200 HP / 128 Def Tornadus: 276-325 (79 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 200 HP / 128 Def Tornadus: 303-357 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

I'd like to submit a set (first time ever :3): Torment Tornadus:

Tornadus (M) @ Sky Plate
EVs: 176 HP / 152 Def / 156 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Protect
- Torment

So why Torment? Because Tornadus is bulky. And that implies that every mon will want (need?) to use their most efficient move to get rid of it... Except that won't be possible. Which means that Tornadus is gonna stick around for quite a while. So while he's at it, Toxic people, get a life. Now Tornadus is also one of the quickest Pranksters in the Tier (there's always Whimiscott but there isn't much to be done here), and they don't usually pack a lot of Speed EVs, so he can Taunt them before they can Taunt him (as Kyle Cole said, 24 Speed EVs outspeeds 20 Speed Thundurus and Taunt him before it can T-Wave him).
The EV spread is of course optimized to bulk as much as possible:

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus: 278-330 (81 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus: 270-320 (78.7 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 176 HP / 144 Def Tornadus: 265-315 (77.2 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 176 HP / 144 Def Tornadus: 148-176 (43.1 - 51.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO
52+ SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus: 246-290 (71.7 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard Heat Wave vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus in Sun: 141-166 (41.1 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 176 HP / 144 Def Tornadus: 297-351 (86.5 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

That doesn't sound that awesome, but then again, don't forget Torment: 2HKO is worth 3HKO (with that move). And Protect saves you another turn, while Toxic is at work. OK so it doesn't practically work that way exactly, but if you can handle predictions with your other mon, you're good to go!

Now offensively, I have opted for Sky Plate and Air Slash, for a 30% flinch and a little damage that can prove, even without EV, surprisingly good:

0 SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 204-240 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Air Slash vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Ludicolo: 158-188 (48.3 - 57.4%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Hitmontop: 204-242 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Air Slash vs. 24 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 258-306 (78.4 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Sky Plate Tornadus Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 236-282 (54.6 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

It's not very impressive either, but it puts these Tormented mons in reach of Tornadus' teammate.

And one last point, it works awfully well in TR: if the Taunt wasn't enough to prevent it from setting up, prankster and stalling will ensure that it is useless.

xoxo

Last edited:
I'd like to submit a set (first time ever :3): Torment Tornadus:

Tornadus (M) @ BrightPowder
EVs: 176 HP / 152 Def / 156 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Protect
- Torment

So why Torment? Because Tornadus is bulky. And that implies that every mon will want (need?) to use their most efficient move to get rid of it... Except that won't be possible. Which means that Tornadus is gonna stick around for quite a while. So while he's at it, Toxic people, get a life. Now Tornadus is also one of the quickest Pranksters in the Tier (there's always Whimiscott but there isn't much to be done here), and they don't usually pack a lot of Speed EVs, so he can Taunt them before they can Taunt him (as Kyle Cole said, 24 Speed EVs outspeeds 20 Speed Thundurus and Taunt him before it can T-Wave him). BrightPowder is an item that makes Rock-typed moves really unreliable on to hit him: Stone Edge? Rock Slide? No way sir! Plus, you know, the slight chance of being missed by an Ice Beam or so. Kinda little bonus there.

The EV spread is of course optimized to bulk as much as possible, and not waste anything on unexistant-offense:

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus: 278-330 (81 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus: 270-320 (78.7 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 176 HP / 144 Def Tornadus: 265-315 (77.2 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 176 HP / 144 Def Tornadus: 148-176 (43.1 - 51.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO
52+ SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus: 246-290 (71.7 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard Heat Wave vs. 176 HP / 164+ SpD Tornadus in Sun: 141-166 (41.1 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 176 HP / 144 Def Tornadus: 297-351 (86.5 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

That doesn't sound that awesome, but then again, don't forget Torment: 2HKO is worth 3HKO (with that move). And Protect saves you another turn, while Toxic is at work. OK so it doesn't practically work that way exactly, but if you can handle predictions with your other mon, you're good to go!

And one last point, it works awfully well in TR: if the Taunt wasn't enough to prevent it from setting up, prankster and stalling will ensure that it is useless.

xoxo
I would literally never consider using Tornadus with zero attacks. You EVd your Tornadus very nicely, and it's a pity that you would waste these great EVs on such a gimmicky set. Torment is cool, but you should definitely include at least one attack. Also, Toxic is generally completely useless in doubles (I would say Air Slash>Toxic on this set, but idk).

Yeah I really wanted to put an attack, but at the same time I wanted the EV spread to maximize bulk, so I wasn't sure if the attack was gonna be relevant... I guess Air slash could be good though, or acrobatics if you take BrightPowder off.

Yeah Moudou can you please replace Toxic with an attacking move and remove BrightPowder? If you do that I'll allow your set to be voted on, but right now it's much too gimmicky to be considered.

I usually don't do this but you seemed to have put in a lot of effort into your set, so I want to make sure it has a chance to be voted on.

Yeah Moudou can you please replace Toxic with an attacking move and remove BrightPowder? If you do that I'll allow your set to be voted on, but right now it's much too gimmicky to be considered.

I usually don't do this but you seemed to have put in a lot of effort into your set, so I want to make sure it has a chance to be voted on.
Thanks a lot really, sorry for the trouble :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)