Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel this skill would limit MegaAmp to just Volt Switching and Heal Belling. It would essentially be a better looking Rotom-W. It doesn't play off anythign new or creative. The current sets involved using Agility to set up a hard hitting bulky sweeper that can 2HKO everything and Cotton Guard to pretty much wall all physical attackers.

Yeah it would be cool to just tank a hit and Volt Switch out, but it's kind of a boring/predictable strategy that is already used by Rotom and some others. If anything Senrene Grace would be cool on it because it gets Signal Beam, Snore and electric based moves. It could conparaflinch an entire team while using Rest to heal up and Snore for flinches. That would be a little more fun and creative IMO.

While Regenerator doesn't make much sense on Mega Ampharos, it sure makes a lot more sense than its random Dragon typing. Seriously, how is this thing a dragon?

Anyway, I think Ampharos would have a great niche as a cleric on bulky offensive teams because it has both great offensive presence and can keep momentum with Volt Switch, something no other cleric in the game can offer. Regenerator would let it be able to perform its job many times throughout the match while not giving up tons of momentum, unlike any other cleric in OU.

Last edited:
While Regenerator doesn't make much sense on Mega Ampharos, it sure makes a lot sense than its random Dragon typing. Seriously, how is this thing a dragon?

Anyway, I think Ampharos would have a great niche as a cleric on bulky offensive teams because it has both great offensive presence and can keep momentum with Volt Switch, something no other cleric in the game can offer. Regenerator would let it be able to perform its job many times throughout the match while not giving up tons of momentum, unlike any other cleric in OU.
Ampharos is actually named "electric dragon" in japanese, though I don't know latins but the particle -ros (or -aros) may mean some how resemble dragons also.

Btw, concerning the meta, there we go, another role is replaced by a volttuner now, although it is unfortunately a mega, sigh.

I can agree with this, it just seems like a slapped on ability which takes away from the whole concept.

-Anyway

Regenerator on any Mega would be quite nice as they don't have items and most of the times also lack the moves for recovery. (Pain Split MBanette comes to mind and MegaVenu of course).
You're forgetting that Mega Charizard has Roost. Not that it'll help it much, but, ya know, it's there...

From a design standpoint, there's always Dolly the cloned sheep, you could say that clones regenerate. Speaking about it's usefulness, I think it would make it an excellent bulky pivot that could wreck some stuff given its awesome STABs and tough offenses. Its resistances are decent, especially given the newfound power of the Flying type.

From a design standpoint, there's always Dolly the cloned sheep, you could say that clones regenerate. Speaking about it's usefulness, I think it would make it an excellent bulky pivot that could wreck some stuff given its awesome STABs and tough offenses. Its resistances are decent, especially given the newfound power of the Flying type.
It's said that originally a sheep Pokémon was designed after Dolly in Gen II, but scrapped and replaced with Mareep instead due to controversy. So that isn't an unsafe relation.

I don't see an issue with Regeneration on Mega Ampharos, regarding flavor. It's not any more strange than Slowbro and Slowking getting Regenerator, to me.

Anyways, a bulky Mega Ampharos would pair very well with Tornadus-T and Scizor in a VoltTurn core, complemented by a set up sweeper or powerhouse who would greatly appreciate the free turn from a slow Volt Switch to secure a boost or strong attack. Azumarill and offensive Gyarados come to mind, as they have rather good type synergy with Mega Ampharos.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here are some defensive calcs that show how useful and viable Regenerator specially defensive Mega Ampharos would be:

Mega Charizard Y
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 144-170 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos in Sun: 106-126 (27.6 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Thundurus
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 114-135 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 13% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 88-104 (22.9 - 27%) -- 39.6% chance to 4HKO
  • +2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 172-204 (44.7 - 53.1%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO
Heatran
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 218-258 (56.7 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 112-132 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO
Gengar
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 130-153 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 100-118 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 114-136 (29.6 - 35.4%) -- 23.7% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 88-105 (22.9 - 27.3%) -- 54.7% chance to 4HKO
Manaphy
  • +3 252 SpA Life Orb Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 359-424 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
  • +3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 276-326 (71.8 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-172 (38 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 112-132 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO
Deoxys-S
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 164-192 (42.7 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 140-166 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-S Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 104-123 (27 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Talonflame
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 113-133 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 88-104 (22.9 - 27%) -- 44.7% chance to 4HKO

With a specially defensive set, Mega Ampharos becomes able to check or counter many top tier threats, as evidenced by the above calcs. Specifically, having a reliable Mega Charizard Y check that is not easy to wear down is a godsend and something that OU has been missing. Also, Ampharos is one of the very few Pokemon weak to Ice that is able to live a +3 Ice Beam from Leftovers Manaphy, providing to any kind of team, especially offensive ones, with one more check to Manaphy, which has very few good checks. Ampharos has the ability to deal with so many offensive Pokemon that don't have STAB super effective attacks, and then either pivot to a revenge killer or outright KO, and it can do it repeatedly. Finally, with Heal Bell it can provide even more team support while making sure that it won't be worn down easily by WoW + SR + Volt-turn shenanigans.

So, i think that the specially defensive set would be Mega Ampharos's best set. It takes advantage of its typing, bulk, ability, and even slow Speed the best out of any set, and provides immense support by getting in teammates safely, checking a ton of offensive and defensive threats, and acting as a cleric. Thankfully, if specially defensive indeed turns out to be its best set it will also be much easier to check, which is a good thing, as Ground-types won't have to worry as much about a strong Dragon Pulse or Focus Blast.

And if Mega Ampharos became really popular in OU and a pain in the ass to get rid of, we could even see a spike in Dugtrio usage, especially on Volt-turn teams, which can bring it in safely so it can 2HKO Ampharos unhindered. Of course, Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon would also be all over the place, but the first two already are so whatever.

Here are some defensive calcs that show how useful and viable Regenerator specially defensive Mega Ampharos would be:
Mega Charizard Y
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 144-170 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos in Sun: 106-126 (27.6 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Thundurus
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 114-135 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 13% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 88-104 (22.9 - 27%) -- 39.6% chance to 4HKO
  • +2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 172-204 (44.7 - 53.1%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO
Heatran
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 218-258 (56.7 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-174 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 112-132 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO
Gengar
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 130-153 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 100-118 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 114-136 (29.6 - 35.4%) -- 23.7% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 88-105 (22.9 - 27.3%) -- 54.7% chance to 4HKO
Manaphy
  • +3 252 SpA Life Orb Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 359-424 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
  • +3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 276-326 (71.8 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-172 (38 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 112-132 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO
Deoxys-S
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 164-192 (42.7 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 140-166 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-S Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 104-123 (27 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Talonflame
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 113-133 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 88-104 (22.9 - 27%) -- 44.7% chance to 4HKO

With a specially defensive set, Mega Ampharos becomes able to check or counter many top tier threats, as evidenced by the above calcs. Specifically, having a reliable Mega Charizard Y check that is not easy to wear down is a godsend and something that OU has been missing. Also, Ampharos is one of the very few Pokemon weak to Ice that is able to live a +3 Ice Beam from Leftovers Manaphy, providing to any kind of team, especially offensive ones, with one more check to Manaphy, which has very few good checks. Ampharos has the ability to deal with so many offensive Pokemon that don't have STAB super effective attacks, and then either pivot to a revenge killer or outright KO, and it can do it repeatedly. Finally, with Heal Bell it can provide even more team support while making sure that it won't be worn down easily by WoW + SR + Volt-turn shenanigans.

So, i think that the specially defensive set would be Mega Ampharos's best set. It takes advantage of its typing, bulk, ability, and even slow Speed the best out of any set, and provides immense support by getting in teammates safely, checking a ton of offensive and defensive threats, and acting as a cleric. Thankfully, if specially defensive indeed turns out to be its best set it will also be much easier to check, which is a good thing, as Ground-types won't have to worry as much about a strong Dragon Pulse or Focus Blast.

And if Mega Ampharos became really popular in OU and a pain in the ass to get rid of, we could even see a spike in Dugtrio usage, especially on Volt-turn teams, which can bring it in safely so it can 2HKO Ampharos unhindered. Of course, Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon would also be all over the place, but the first two already are so whatever.

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 168-198 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio: 190-225 (89.6 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
or, Specially Defensive:
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 228-270 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dugtrio is a very shaky check, honestly. And Landorus-T calcs:
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 270-320 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And Excadrill:
4+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 418-492 (115.4 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 258-306 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hell, I can't find a nice Ground-type move that can reliably OHKO it! I think that a 4 Attacker set is best, as HP Ice / Focus Blast / Dragon Pulse / Volt Switch give it nice coverage amongst everything.

The most optimized pivot in the game getting regenerator? The sheer momentum this would allow Ampharos to maintain would be absolutely ridiculous. Not quite on the level of Genesect, given that it only has like two sets... Oh, if only it got Draco Meteor.

Ampharos is actually named "electric dragon" in japanese, though I don't know latins but the particle -ros (or -aros) may mean some how resemble dragons also.

Btw, concerning the meta, there we go, another role is replaced by a volttuner now, although it is unfortunately a mega, sigh.
Ampharos comes from Ampere, a electric measurement unit, and Pharos, a lighthouse that was one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. Nothing to do with dragons.

This doesn't negate the Japanese name, which is obviously the original, but let's not go looking for etymology when it isn't there.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Ampharos comes from Ampere, a electric measurement unit, and Pharos, a lighthouse that was one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. Nothing to do with dragons.

This doesn't negate the Japanese name, which is obviously the original, but let's not go looking for etymology when it isn't there.
From bulbapedia:

Denryu can be taken to mean 電流 denryū (electric current) or 電竜 denryū (electric dragon), and it may incorporate 電球 denkyū(light bulb), referring to its tail.
A lot of weird ability/move distributions makes sense when you use their japanese names (for example pretty much everything with wings getting Heat Wave, which is "Hot Wind" in japanese, or butterflies and moths getting Quiver Dance which is "Butterfly Dance"). Still doesn't help explain why manaphy gets Tail Glow ("Firefly Light") though.

So they have actually prioritized the light house part when they do the translation, was guessing that they will do a direct translation instead.

From bulbapedia:

A lot of weird ability/move distributions makes sense when you use their japanese names (for example pretty much everything with wings getting Heat Wave, which is "Hot Wind" in japanese, or butterflies and moths getting Quiver Dance which is "Butterfly Dance"). Still doesn't help explain why manaphy gets Tail Glow ("Firefly Light") though.
Concerning Manaphy, if you have actually watched the movie, you will know that the two spheres at the end of the two antennae of Manaphy literally "glows". You will also know that Manaphy lives in the deep sea which is a dark environment. And despite making not any sense at all from an evolutionary aspect, Manaphy relies on its eyes to sense the world and light up the sea with the light from the its sphere.

As said above, the deep sea is a very dark environment, but the light coming out from the two spheres is very bright and can be seen from a far, which actually resembles how the fireflies seem in the night. In fact, firefly is exactly named after "weak light" in japanese, but I guess GF decides to respect bugs here instead of some fire or electric stuffs. Anyway, as a side note, "tail glow" is exclusive to fireflies, not everything with their tail glowing.

Just to mention another one here, "draco meteor" has nothing to do with dragons in japanese either, it is just that the first part of the pronunciation of "meteor fall" happens to resemble the pronunciation of "dragon".

Anyway, with regenerator, I expect to see it in two scenario.

One is the semi-stall teams, likely built with specially defensive and spreading paralyses to cripple special sweepers, it only really fears ice type btw, and dragon type provides some very usable special resistances. Earth weakness is unfriendly but you often see that on the physical side and has little to do with you.

Another one is on pivot teams which has three or four voltturners (the one I am currently toying with), with that level of bulk it can easily switch in after the voltturn chain is broken(a misprediction, or after scoring a kill, etc.), and restart the snowball of momentum with a slow switch. It is also good in the sense that it can provide cleric support, something that is very difficult to be thrown into a voltturn emphasizing team, though it is not necessarily used all that often, and would have been better if it can use draco meteor instead. Or perhaps wish, which is even better.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've been having a bit of a hard time coming up with much theory for this guy, simply because Regenerator, as I said earlier, doesn't really change the playstyle of the mon. In any case, I'd like to talk a bit more about him, so I'm gonna try my hand at some more of those questions from the OP.

What kind of playstyle will Mega Ampharos's presence benefit and hurt more?
Well, the obvious answer is that VoltTurn teams would love this guy. A bulky pivot with healing, power and useful resistances? Yeah. Bulky Offense and SemiStall also benefit from a better bulky pivot. I don't necessarily know if Regenerator Ampharos is powerful enough to outright hurt a playstyle, though if I had to take a guess I'd say he'd hurt Stall-centric teams. It's hard to wear a Pokemon down when they can keep recovering by Volt Switching (or just switching in general.) That said, M-Ampharos is vulnerable to all entry hazards, burn and toxic, which gives some teams more options. SR may make a difference in whether or not a Pokemon can OHKO him (Greninja's Ice Beam, for example,) while status ensures he needs to switch out.

Slower teams can still utilize the pink blobs to soak hits from Amphy, or a specially defensive Ground-type.

Which Pokemon would benefit the most from Mega Ampharos's newfound viability in OU, and what Pokemon would be hurt the most?
Rotom-W would likely see a drop in usage, though it'd still be very high in usage statistics. I still think that Amphy and Rotom-W could be great on a team together, so there's that. Unboosted Aegislash doesn't really deal enough damage to take Ampharos out, so those sets may see less usage. Ampharos may even run 0 IV's in Speed alongside reducing natures to outslow Aegislash. Talonflame, as said earlier, can't really do much to Ampharos at all, and would be very hurt by the addition of Regenerator Ampharos. Faster, more powerful threats like Greninja, Genesect and the MegaZards can take Amphy with some prior damage depending on its investment. In general, faster Dragons would benefit from having a new target.

To be honest, I've been having a bit of a hard time coming up with much theory for this guy, simply because Regenerator, as I said earlier, doesn't really change the playstyle of the mon. In any case, I'd like to talk a bit more about him, so I'm gonna try my hand at some more of those questions from the OP.

Well, the obvious answer is that VoltTurn teams would love this guy. A bulky pivot with healing, power and useful resistances? Yeah. Bulky Offense and SemiStall also benefit from a better bulky pivot. I don't necessarily know if Regenerator Ampharos is powerful enough to outright hurt a playstyle, though if I had to take a guess I'd say he'd hurt Stall-centric teams. It's hard to wear a Pokemon down when they can keep recovering by Volt Switching (or just switching in general.) That said, M-Ampharos is vulnerable to all entry hazards, burn and toxic, which gives some teams more options. SR may make a difference in whether or not a Pokemon can OHKO him (Greninja's Ice Beam, for example,) while status ensures he needs to switch out.

Slower teams can still utilize the pink blobs to soak hits from Amphy, or a specially defensive Ground-type.

Rotom-W would likely see a drop in usage, though it'd still be very high in usage statistics. I still think that Amphy and Rotom-W could be great on a team together, so there's that. Unboosted Aegislash doesn't really deal enough damage to take Ampharos out, so those sets may see less usage. Ampharos may even run 0 IV's in Speed alongside reducing natures to outslow Aegislash. Talonflame, as said earlier, can't really do much to Ampharos at all, and would be very hurt by the addition of Regenerator Ampharos. Faster, more powerful threats like Greninja, Genesect and the MegaZards can take Amphy with some prior damage depending on its investment. In general, faster Dragons would benefit from having a new target.
I specifically mention voltturn-centric teams because other teams are very unlikely to have that much chance to abuse the healing. As in Voltturn teams generally relies on a few pokemon soak up the majority of the damage, while also provides sufficient switching to unlock the true potential of this ability. And semi-stall is mentioned for obvious reason.

Pure stall/Status stall teams may not like it that much though, heal bell support is nice, the absence of wish isn't. And it does pretty much nothing out side spreading statuses. Somewhat similar to Megasaur, more like a tank than a stallmon IMO

One side note, if all you want is a slow switch for set up, you don't really need regenerator. Lets' think of it, for a balanced team, how many slow switches is needed through out the game? One? Two? Or three at most? And let's not forget that for the last set up, you can probably do the job with a sacrifice what so ever. Perhaps this is why the existing Ampharos users don't find regenerator doing much for them. Voltturn teams abuse the slow switches better though.

When compared with Rotom-W however, the two probably share a similar role, which is an escape button of sticky situations. However, despite much better bulk, I question if Ampharos do the job better, mainly due to having some extra weakness, notably Earth. And Rotom-W still takes the position of as a premier burn inducer what so ever. Perhaps it will replace Rotom-W in some Voltturn core, but, well, it takes up the Mevo slot. And I don't know how much people are willing to forgo the Mega slot for a Mega sweeper, and run a full Voltturn team instead.

But the usage of Mega Mene is going to be heavily hammered, that's doubtless.

This makes Mega ampharos bar none the best Talonflame counter, it would be a really useful addition to offensive teams that strugle against this thing, because its such a good pivot.

With good bulk you can switch in on resisted attacks, then volt switch out taking the scond hit, and recover off a good chunk of damage generating momentum and keeping your more frail offensive pokemon safe. This is a similar role rotom-w plays, but isntead you get regenerator and better bulk. That's huge!
This pretty much echoes exactly what I was thinking. Resisting both of talonflame's STABs, plus a slow volt switch makes this very reliable against talonflame.

I think that Ampharos-M would pair beautifully with Genesect as a voltturn combo, depending on Genesect's banning status. And as many others are saying, dual screens could be used, but the lack of light clay hurts.

Overall, pretty solid, and regenerator is a great ability that I always struggle to get past.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 168-198 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio: 190-225 (89.6 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
or, Specially Defensive:
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 228-270 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dugtrio is a very shaky check, honestly. And Landorus-T calcs:
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 270-320 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And Excadrill:
4+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 418-492 (115.4 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 258-306 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hell, I can't find a nice Ground-type move that can reliably OHKO it! I think that a 4 Attacker set is best, as HP Ice / Focus Blast / Dragon Pulse / Volt Switch give it nice coverage amongst everything.
You forgot to factor in U-turn or SR damage which Mega Ampharos will have taken as Dugtrio comes in, both of which ensure the 2HKO by EQ. Eg. Talonflame uses U-turn as you come in to check it and then goes to Dugtrio which easily 2HKOes. In general, i don't see a lot of merit in going with physically defensive, as you still wall the physical threats that your typing lets you with specially defensive (Talonflame), and no matter how much physical bulk you run, you shouldn't stay in against most Ground-types anyway, because they can 2HKO while you can't OHKO back (eg, Lando-T, Hippowdon, AV Excadrill).

+ Regenerator

Guiding questions:

• What kind of role Mega Ampharos will take? Utility pivot, similar to Rotom-W, or hard hitter that gets many switch-in chances thanks to good bulk and Regenerator? Or both?
Hard Hitter. The horrible speed on this thing prevents it from being a decent volt switcher, being outsped by cmmon grounds such as excadrill.
  • How will Mega Ampharos's presence influence the premiere bulky Electric-type of OU, Rotom-W? Will one of the two overshadow the other, or can they coexist with similar amounts of usefulness?
Coexist. There could be cores made around these 2 pokemon.
  • What kind of playstyle will Mega Ampharos's presence benefit and hurt more?
Slow sweepers. As I mentioned before, This cant be used as a pivot because of its speed, although, I could see it making use of regenerator for set up sweeping.
  • What will Mega Ampharos's most successful set look like, and how many effective sets will it have?

Ampharos
Ampharite

252 SP.ATTACK 252 SP.DEF 4 DEF/252 SP.ATTACK 126 DEF 126 SP.DEF 4 ATK
Set 1: Set 2:
Charge Beam Cotton Guard
Dragon Pulse Dragon Pulse
Signal Beam Outrage
Thunderbolt/Thunder Power-Up Punch

• Which Pokemon would benefit the most from Mega Ampharos's newfound viability in OU, and what Pokemon would be hurt the most?
Any Water type would be hurt.

Most Grasses would see use alongside it

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Uore said:
Hard Hitter. The horrible speed on this thing prevents it from being a decent volt switcher, being outsped by cmmon grounds such as excadrill.
Actually, his low Speed makes it an excellent user of Volt Switch, as it can take a hit and then bring in other Pokemon unharmed. Anyway, discussion about Mega Ampharos is over. Here are the 4 candidates for our next discussion:
  • Ghost / Fairy Mismagius (UnicornDemon)
  • Tornadus with Aerilate (escarlata)
  • Psychic / Fairy Cresselia (Liquidocelot)
  • Malamar with Sucker Punch (alexwolf)
You have one day to vote. Only vote for one theorymon, and the theorymon with the most votes wins. Don't forget to bold your votes, otherwise they won't count. In the case of a tie, we will vote again for the two theorymon that tied, with another day time limit. Let's get this started!

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Psychic / Fairy Cresselia

Would definitely like to discuss that. While Ghost/Fairy Mismagius would have been a really cool Pokemon, I feel that Fairy Cresselia would have HUGELY impacted the meta.

Actually, his low Speed makes it an excellent user of Volt Switch, as it can take a hit and then bring in other Pokemon unharmed. Anyway, discussion about Mega Ampharos is over. Here are the 4 candidates for our next discussion:
  • Ghost / Fairy Mismagius (UnicornDemon)
  • Tornadus with Aerilate (escarlata)
  • Psychic / Fairy Cresselia (Liquidocelot)
  • Malamar with Sucker Punch (alexwolf)
You have one day to vote. Only vote for one theorymon, and the theorymon with the most votes wins. In the case of a tie, we will vote again for the two theorymon that tied, with another week time limit. Let's get this started!
Voting for Ghost / Fairy Mismagius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)