The Positives of your Least Favorite Pokemon Game and the Negatives of your Most Favorite

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Looot of rambling but the big takeaway is that I feel that Gen 5's Pokémon distribution and design was very likely intended to be that you keep catching Pokémon along the way on each route until you eventually build a strong team at the end, but outside of your starter your other five slots are always changing at every time but throughout it you should have a strong group of six for every point of the game, but it's never a fixed group. Unfortunately, this isn't how most people play and it's not the most intuitive manner of playing the games, especially when there's an intense psychological threshold you have to overcome to discard/box a mon and replace it with something else. Especially when it's a stark contrast to Gen 4 (Platinum especially) where you get a lot of good mons right off the bat and you can form a fixed group of 6 right away with a bunch of good mons and roll with a good variety all the same.

You're very right on this. I don't think I have ever, in all my time playing Pokemon, used a Pokemon for about 3 gyms and then swapped it out for something better. Because to me that's a waste; I can't get past the notion that I've invested EXP in this thing for nothing. And if I'm going to use something objectively less powerful like Butterfree, I'm damn well taking it all the way to the finish line. I like the challenge of using less-powerful species.

Increasingly if there's a mon I want to use that's normally restricted to the late-game I'd be more inclined to trade an egg containing it to my new save file and raise it up from the start. It can also be really fun and challenging to use mons like Feebas and Luvdisc early on.

One other negative I forgot to mention about Platinum was Charon. I thought he was pretty pointless as a character. I even think they could have made the Stark Mountain side quest pure adventure rather than involve Team Galactic at all.

If they had to involve Charon, you should actually fight him at the end of Stark Mountain instead of him being arrested. To have a villain team Leader or Admin who you never have one battle against was not a good idea in my opinion.

One other negative I forgot to mention about Platinum was Charon. I thought he was pretty pointless as a character. I even think they could have made the Stark Mountain side quest pure adventure rather than involve Team Galactic at all.

If they had to involve Charon, you should actually fight him at the end of Stark Mountain instead of him being arrested. To have a villain team Leader or Admin who you never have one battle against was not a good idea in my opinion.
I remember him being given quite the spotlight in the Platinum trailers... only for him to never be fought at all. He isn't even important for the story, with a pair of cameos and his appearance in Stark Mountain. The only remotely relevant thing about him is the whole story with Rotom.

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.

Playing Plat for the first time this year, I can't help but agree with this. Like I appreciate the attempt at showing what happened to Galactic after Cyrus went to the Distortion World, but it felt anticlimactic having 2 rematches and then just having Charon...not do anything.

The problem is that I suspect that BW1's early game mons (especially the ones you mentioned) being underwhelming/boring/bad was intentional, because I'm firmly convinced especially upon recent studying of the game's structure that the early route mons were designed with the philosophy that you will eventually replace them with better mons who show up later in the game.

Patrat and Purrloin, especially the former, are very obviously meant to be Rattata: early bloomer who evolves once at Level 20, and Watchog will be pretty strong for the early-mid game especially since that's around 3 gyms in, especially with early Crunch and later Retaliate/Return not long after to serve as a hard hitter for the early game, but as the game goes on, it and Liepard will begin to fall behind and be replaced by better mons who show up later on such as Scrafty, Cinccino, Bouffalant, etc. Some of the later Normal or Dark mons evolve around the 30s or are obtained around that level, which is when you start to see Watchog and Liepard falling behind.

The others you mentioned are quite similar cases. Munna is known for being part of the stone evo dilemma, but I suspect the intended experience in using Munna in BW1 is you should evolve it soon after Lenora gives you the Moon Stone at the end of Pinwheel, around Level 19 when it gets Psybeam. If you evolve it right there, it's basically a hard carry early game with its godly bulk, Yawn, and Psybeam hitting off of a high Special Attack making it a powerhouse early on. Because you evolve it there, Musharna loses the ability to learn any moves by level up, so now that's the peak of its potential. But when you look at the later Psychic-types, namely Gothitelle, Reuniclus, and Beheeyem, who inherently reach their potential later, and learn much stronger moves later and have better coverage options at their disposal. All of these Pokémon evolve in the low 40s, which is when you'll start to notice the power drop with Musharna's Psybeam. At this point you will likely replace Musharna with a better Psychic-type at your disposal, whether that be Gothitelle or Reuniclus. Woobat is a lesser case but that's a case where the mon is okay mid-game but it falls of hard late game because its stats simply don't cut it anymore, and of course Gothitelle and Reuniclus are way better in the late game.

The monkeys are alike to Musharna in a sense: you get the stone for the monkey you got around 3 gyms in and they get their upgraded STAB around Level 22 which you can feasibly reach during Castelia, and from there you should ideally evolve them right away. Once they evolve at Level 22, they're actually very good. Simipour in particular is a nuke with a hard hitting Scald, and Simisage and Simisear also get by on raw stats and a relatively strong STAB plus all three of them have great coverage to give with Work Up and TMs making them very strong throughout the mid-game. They start to lose a bit of steam after Brycen, which coincides with later mons of their types reaching their potential: up around the high 30s is when they start to fall off, and that's close to when you can get mons like Sawsbuck and Ferrothorn (for Grass), Chandelure or Darmanitan (for Fire), and Jellicent (for Water) fully evolved. It's at this point that you would ideally be inclined to replace the monkeys with the respective better mons of their breed. That is aside from the fact that they're basically there as a tutorial for the first gym. Throh and Sawk are mostly meant to be tutorial mons for Lenora, but granted they're competent for the early game albeit boring.

Sadly most of the early route mons in BW1 are underwhelming because they're meant to be, so that you will eventually move on to better mons as the game progresses. BW1 really tried to emulate Gen 1 in many, many ways because part of its gimmick was it was a "soft reboot" meant to invoke the OG Kanto games' vibe, and Gen 1's Pokémon were all designed with this design philosophy in mind and Gen 5 attempted to emulate it. The intention doesn't come off as well in practice, unfortunately, because most people are inclined to just grab a select group of six and roll, rather than rearrange their team on a consistent basis and discard early catches for later mons.

Gen 5's evo levels were designed with a very particular modus operandi, which was essentially that every mon spends around 10 levels in each evolutionary stage from the moment you got them to the point where they evolve. The idea is that you would develop an attachment to each stage as you put in the effort to raise the mon and it would be more rewarding once they finally do evolve.

Especially with the late game Pokémon. I alluded to it in the past but I really think the designers aligned the late evo levels not to the first time you reach the Elite Four, but the second time, which is when you actually do get to battle Alder. Most of the late mons like Mienfoo won't make it in time for the first Elite Four run and the N's Castle segment, if at all, but they will evolve in the post-game most likely when you spend your time training your team (Granted there's a big spike in levels in the post-game since everything is Level 60+, but fortunately many NPCs used unevolved mons which are perfect training opportunities for your unevolved Rufflet, Vullaby, etc. to get some EXP, and given the EXP system getting the late mons to their evo levels is easier in this game because of the inherently high levels of your opponents), until you eventually reach the high 60s/low 70s for the Elite Four rematches and Alder. They evidently want players to do the entire post-game segment and challenge Alder, and I think the idea is that you would have even more evolutions to look forward to while training your team during the post-game for Alder and your team would continue to evolve and grow as a means to incentivize playing the post-game half of the adventure.

Ideally they would likely rotate out an earlier catch that eventually doesn't cut it anymore. By the time you reach N your team would likely be something like Starter/Chandelure/Haxorus/Krookodile/Reuniclus/etc. and a bunch of other mid-late game catches depending on what you actually used, and once you reach Alder it should be something like Starter/Hydreigon/Volcarona/Braviary/Legendary with other late-evo mons plus some mid-game mons you likely opted, ideally maybe Reshiram or Zekrom too.

Of course, the big problem with this approach is that the high evo levels, while workable in the context of Gen 5 itself, are absolutely horrible for future compatibility. It's especially bad when you have a case like Gen 7 which allowed you to get Rufflet and Vullaby very early in the game at around Level 10, but because of their high evo levels they will spend far more time unevolved than is necessary and don't evolve until close to the end of SM/USUM, essentially forcing players to drag an unevolved mon around for an unbelievably long time.

Looot of rambling but the big takeaway is that I feel that Gen 5's Pokémon distribution and design was very likely intended to be that you keep catching Pokémon along the way on each route until you eventually build a strong team at the end, but outside of your starter your other five slots are always changing at every time but throughout it you should have a strong group of six for every point of the game, but it's never a fixed group. Unfortunately, this isn't how most people play and it's not the most intuitive manner of playing the games, especially when there's an intense psychological threshold you have to overcome to discard/box a mon and replace it with something else. Especially when it's a stark contrast to Gen 4 (Platinum especially) where you get a lot of good mons right off the bat and you can form a fixed group of 6 right away with a bunch of good mons and roll with a good variety all the same.
I actually never thought about those issues being intentional design choices on GF's part, and to their credit, I think if you look at it from that angle, at the very least the idea of being able to use these late blooming late game Pokemon for the true final boss in Alder is a cool one, though like you said it doesn't really pan out since GF doesn't seem to get the idea that people tend to like sticking to the 6 they end up choosing, with the only exceptions being people I see swapping out mons for just being flat useless rather than swapping it out only when they find something better.

Still, I like the amount of thought that went into it. It feels more carefully planned out than later gens (Especially SW/SH which don't give a flying fuck about game balance)

I think Charon is lame and underutilized but honestly as someone who just finished writing a first draft of a book, I’m a lot more sympathetic to “they wasted a perfectly good character” gripes.

It’s easy to say “oh this character does nothing, they should have been cut” but when you have deadlines and don’t want a piece of media to fall into development heck, a lot of big plans you have for a character can easily fall by the wayside or be overshadowed by everyone else. Especially when we’re talking about Game Freak, a company who leaves a lot of pointless code in the games and reuses assets a lot.

I’m not saying Charon’s not a bad character because he certainly is, I’m just saying when crafting a story, you can easily get to the end and realize elements or characters that could have been removed and nobody would really care. It could have been much worse. Even the better stories like BW1 have a lot of borderline pointless characters (Seven Sages not being bosses in the first game, Anthea and Concordia).

Exhibit A: 95% of the cast of Pokémon X and Y.

Favourite > Pokémon Emerald.

I could go into details but I don't really dislike anything about it to the point I should write it down. Battle Frontier is often remembered as a great adition -and it is- but gets a little too much praise. The reailty is the IA sucks and some of their facilities are unfair. Since I recently attained all gold symbols, something I couldn't do as a kid, my view on some challenges have changed. For example, I remembered Battle Pyramid as the worst of them all, but in reality it was not just the most fun, but the most fair and well designed. In the other hand, I really liked Battle Factory back then, but it's the worst of them all, complete and utterly h4x, only comparable to the Battle Tower.

In terms of the games themselves, it makes no sense to me to criticize things like the exp. share or the lack of QoL additions, after all it's 3rd gen we are talking about. Probably a most interesting selection of in-game mons. I feel like my teams on RZE are set very soon into the story.

Less favourite > Sun and Moon.

As someone else said, they kept megas. Hm. This may be a draw between 7th and 8th gen.

Btw, to me BW2 are the best Pokémon games ever made. Emerald is my fav., but BW2 is better.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I wish I would have seen this thread while people were still giving their thoughts on it. The gaps between my favorite games and my least favorite games have always been extremely polarizing, so I'd love to give those other titles a chance to shine.

The Positives of My Least Favorite Pokémon Games

Sword & Shield:
Putting my biased nature against rushed video games aside, some of the newer Pokémon introduced in this game are absolutely sweet. Inteleon manages to do something I never thought could happen, combining the best parts about my two least favorite Starter Pokémon into one of my all-time favorites. Obstagoon and the others are an awesome take on a feature that I already loved from Generation 7, and some of the new G-Max forms look so, so much better than the strange Mega Evolution designs of Generation 6. But like seriously, how did they make Inteleon THIS good!? How!?

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon: God, I love the Ultra Warp Ride minigame. And the Mantine Surf minigame. I wish we had minigames like these more dynamic ones much more frequently. The Ultra Warp Ride is my favorite because it's a Shiny Hunting method, a way to find Legendaries, and a chance to practice getting further into the minigame all in one fell swoop. They also made the Ultra Beasts un-Shiny locked relative to the original Sun & Moon games, which in my opinion should have been like that from the start.

Diamond & Pearl: The trainers in Victory Road and the Pokémon League aren't super underleveled for that point in the game unlike in Platinum. I've heard some people say that the change was a good thing, but from my perspective, you just got done fighting Volkner with his DP team ranging from levels 46 to 49 and his Platinum team ranging from levels 46 to 50. There's still the entirety of Victory Road and a rival battle left, as well as the route before Victory Road if you hadn't gone through it yet, and what level is the first Elite Four member's highest Pokémon in Platinum? Only Level 53. In Diamond & Pearl, Aaron's Drapion clocks in at a much more rewarding 57. I get that the Sinnoh League uses stronger Pokémon in Platinum that weren't in the DP PokéDex, but the level drop makes them feel easier when they should feel harder.

The Negatives of My Favorite Pokémon Games

Black & White 2:
Haha, you probably thought I'd say the difficulty options, right? WRONG. It's definitely a problem, yes, but I wanted to be a bit more original than that. I guess this problem correlates to the first Black & White games as well, but the fact that neither game does this after getting a second chance to add it into the sequels is just sad. I am, of course, talking about all of the cut content from Generations 3 and 4. No contests. No secret bases. No Pokéathlon. And of course, the Battle Frontier is gone. Sure, we got some new stuff in their places, but some of those losses really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: No Battle Frontier from Emerald stinks but honestly isn't my least favorite part about this game. What DOES stink, though, is the removal of some of X & Y's coolest features. Trainer customization isn't in this game but IS in the upcoming Sinnoh/Hisui games, because... reasons. The Friend Safari is gone, as is Poké Radar chaining, the Battle Chateau, and the biggest hit to this game is coming from the massive difficulty drop from Emerald's Gym Leaders who I'd say are the hardest overall batch of eight in the entire series relative to other games. I still think this game is hugely underrated, but still...

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs: Oh, boy. Trying to find a thing I dislike about this game seems next to impossible. I am not one who believes a game has to be difficult to be a good game (Heck, Gates to Infinity is my favorite Mystery Dungeon game), but for crying out loud, the Pokémon and especially the boss fights in this game do SO little damage to you that it's almost comical, and that's without any Styler upgrades. Gone were the days of Shadows of Almia when fights like Drapion struck fear into the hearts of children taking over 20% of a person's Styler HP in a single hit, now replaced by tons of Legendaries who are about as threatening as a piece of tissue paper. (EDIT: Ukulele Pichu and other Poké Assists being absolutely busted in this game don't help matters either, especially with how agitated Pokémon are supposed to be harder than usual.)

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
Pokemon Sword and Shield in my opinion are fucking bullshit but they've got the following cool features that would be a million times better in Ultra Moon in addition to the current features:
Max Raid Battles
Dynamax/Gigantamax
The new Pokemon
Allowing legendary Pokemon in battle tower/battle tree
Heart-tailed Eevees
Pokemon Camp
Mints that change natures
Exp candy

Although I have trained myself to blindly love everything about Platinum and Sapphire, the one thing that annoys me about Platinum is the fact that you can only take six Pokemon to pal park a day. But even then I wouldn't change it; I kind of think it's an incentive to not spend an entire day transferring and just doing it over time while paying with my newer Pokemon instead of falling on previous favorites from Sapphire.
(By the way, I've had Platinum and Sapphire for pretty much the whole time I've been into Pokemon and I don't even remember when I got into it!)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Cool. There's a thread about this kind of stuff

Positives of Least Favorite Game

GSC/HGSS: Tyranitar, Houndoom, Scizor and Steelix. These four are like the only things from these games that I appreciate. Everything else about it sucks from the stupid level curve to the trash storyline and everything in between. It almost feels like gamefreak didn't know what they were doing so they just fit in Kanto just to ensure it would sell

DP: The physical special split. Part of the reason why I rarely play gen three, even Emerald, is that the type based split sucked. Even though no one in their right mind would like dp more than pt, that split first introduced in dp is my favorite part of the games

Negatives of Favorite Game

Platinum: The levelling. The only thing that I didn't like about platinum is how much of a pain in the ass it is to grind. It's why I love gen six. I don't have to spend half a day slaughtering Bidoofs. Oh, and Garchomp doesn't have dragon dance for whatever reason

BW2: Aside from the similar predicament of the grinding in pt, the 'legendary dragon' part of the story is getting really old after bw1. I like the idea but that phrase has been repeated to death it got boring for me

USUM: Ultra Necrozma. If you don't do your research before playing, this thing is gonna be a nasty surprise. I remember almost breaking my 3ds after I lost to this like five times. As if its ridiculous stats aren't enough, it just had to get a boost, just brilliant. Other than that, the cutscenes can sometimes take too long that I just go afk whenever it happens most of the time

My favourite:
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
They kinda ruined the character of Lusamine a bit by removing the alien battle thing and make the Pokemon the main villain, even though the whole thing about pokemon is none of them are evil? I know it needs the light or whatever but I still don’t like how necrozma is portrayed.

My least favourite
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
While this is the cause of my dislike for the painful grinding which is why I dislike this game in the first place, I love the non linearity of it. It really feels like this is your own playthrough and not anyone else’s.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
They kinda ruined the character of Lusamine a bit by removing the alien battle thing, although I love the ultra Necrozma battle

I love the graphics and region design. The tropical feel to it makes every playthrough feel fresh and beautiful. A great example of this is mantine surf, which looks beautiful both in the day and night and it always surprises me how good it looks for a 3DS game.

Heart Gold/Soul Silver

You probably saw this coming but the grinding is sheer pain. The level jumps are also stupid and it makes the game more of a grinding mess than fun.

While this is the cause of it, I love the non linearity of it. It really feels like this is your own playthrough and not anyone else’s.
Just making sure: These are your favorites, right? You said both mean and nice things about them, but since the mean things came first I assume they're meant to be negatives of your favorites

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Oh sorry I misread the thread as positives AND negatives of both games lol, I edited it
Now that I think about it, if I really wanted to, I'd love to make this into a personal project. I've been comparing the games this way, since... geez, how long has it been? I feel really old now. Every game has its pros and cons, and who knows? Maybe, just maybe I'll post my responses someday.

Not my Faves:
SwSh:
- The endless QoL updates are brilliant.
- I really like Galar's regional dex. Good variety among generations and types.
- Dynamax/Gigantamax is a more streamlined and "exciting" power-up than mega evolution is. Being available to every Pokemon, including NFEs, on top of having the more unique G-Max versions is really smart. Being an item-less process is also welcome and something that is easier to implement in the future (assuming it's not killed off) rather than having to worry about including a few dozen specific held items. I like it!
- Raids are fun

XY:
- Naming each route was a nice bit of world building.
- The long stretch between the first and second gym made the region feel very grand although once you got the second badge the pacing felt needlessly rushed and the rest of the game just speeds by

Faves:
HGSS:
- They really could have adjusted encounters to make 99% of the Johto mons available in Johto. Felt like an artifact nobody was nostalgic about that carried over from GSC.

BW/BW2:
- While I think these are among the best in the franchise, gen 5 started the bothersome trend of extreme railroading in future games. Look, I know Pokemon isn't open world and like most other RPGs there is a particular travel sequence! However Unova is too streamlined. You progress through the region like you're playing a game of Sorry!. Dancers and janitors of all things acting as road blocks in the unasked for cherry on top. Seasons do kiiiiinda give you incentive to backtrack, and IIRC some of the larger areas at least give you a bit of room to explore (unlike Galar).

Negatives of my favourite game (BW2):
- The so-called difficulty settings are wrong on a lot of levels. First, there's the fact that you need ANOTHER game to unlock the other difficulty modes, unless you want to erase your current save. Then, there's the fact that the supposed Challenge Mode is "trainers are 4-5 levels higher; major trainers have 1 more Pokémon and maybe an adjusted moveset or two", and barely anything else - it just requires a little more grinding (which is bad) and then it becomes as easy as the normal mode (which is also bad). Frankly, if this is what they mean by "harder", then don't add difficulty settings at all.
- The Medal System was a pretty fine idea, but the execution was questionable. You need to look for an NPC to check your achievements, and then you're getting them one at a time, which depending on how long it's been you've checked your medals, you might be stuck for a long time. It's pretty much the same issue as with Super Mario Odyssey's achievement system.
- Resolute Forme Keldeo is possibly the most pointless form difference in the entire series.

Positives of my least favourite game (Yellow):
- You can get all starters without trading, something that has not been done ever again (not counting its pseudo-remake, Let's Go).

I can't think of another positive of Yellow that doesn't apply to the other Gen I games though.
If you cant think of any other good things about yellow then you need to play it again lol, for 1 the quality and look of the updated sprites is amazing and even for todays standards they are really good, the updated gym leader teams and levels was really good and make the game way more challenging than R&B, also have Jessie and James as part of team rocket was really fun and made it feel like the actual anime

Fav. Platinum
Hard to find anything I dont like as its my fav for a reason the game has almost no flaws, so would say its more just a few improvements that could have been made.
1 is that because alot of pokemon were moved into the regional dex it left alot of routes without radar exclusive mons and swarm mons, this would have been a good oportunity to fill the void with some gba cart exclusives as radar exclusives or swarms specifically ones like zangoose and lunatone cause before HGSS these 2 were hell to get if you didnt have RS and the gen 4 games needing them to find them in the wild just made the whole option pointless. And on the topic of radar in platinum the south part of route 204 no longer has a radar exclusive mon which used to be ralts (now part of the regional dex) so they could have expanded sunkern into the whole route so you could actually chain it, whereas its still only the north part of the route where there isnt enough grass to chain.
And I wish distortion world retained its full size and some extra stuff to do in it postgame.

Least fav BW2 and gen 5 in general
How this is most people's fav I do not understand but each to their own I guess.

Great Story and fun gameplay

Great quality of life improvements from BW2 onwards.
Being able to use items like repels and candies without keep going back into the bag.
Having to take 3 consecutive steps in grass before getting a wild encounter means its alot easier to avoid encounters when you dont want them.

Battle box is great so you can have your team ready to battle on the go while keeping your team slots free for moving around etc.
Improved breeding mechanics like 100% everstone and better rates for passing abilities down.

Join avenue is a very fun innovative addition that allows you to make your own personalized mall while allowing you to get repeat rare items and many other useful features.

PWT is super fun and a really cool feature and allthough there are still changes id make to it like adding the E4 from previous gens and making some tourneys 16 players rather than 8 which feels to short, overall really fun feature.

Shiny charm was a proper reward for completing the dex, about time after 5 gens lol.
2 fixed shinies ingame was also really nice

Hidden grottos was a great way to add some important hidden ability mons to the game without needing dream world, making the game more efficient and fun.

Pokemon Dreadful Diamond and Putrid Pearl had Camerupt Breloom and Gliscor in them. Pokémon Emerald came out in 2005 so I couldn’t really appreciate it so anyone younger trying to get a good copy (thankfully I have 1 that works alright) is either going to buy the follow up to the critically acclaimed Vietnamese crystal or make enough money whoring themselves on onlyfans to raise sufficient funds to buy a sealed unboxed for 10 grand on EBay. I mean I suppose You could sleep with the meat head Paul Brother (you know the one who likes to find suicide victims in the forest as a hobby) I mean he spent like 6 million dollars on a piece of cardboard with a pretty picture of a dragon when there’s kids that don’t have a pot to piss in but I digress)

BDSP:
-The best parts (for not saying the only good parts...) of BDSP is at the end, the Pokemon League uses fully EV'd mons with great movesets for a memorable challenge.

-And in the postgame they gave us an even harder battle than Platinum against the E4 and Cynthia

-Gym Leader rematches, also with great team building and strategy.

-A Battle Tower with both the rank system of SWSH (with even more battles against leaders, friends, etc.) and the classic win streak system for the fans who love sharing their records.

-For all the coding jank, at least people are having fun with it. SwSh WISHES it had a cloning glitch.

-Unlocks the Darkrai event for this better game...

Legends Arceus:
-Graphics bad. There was NO NEED AT ALL for this game to come out January 2022, two months after the latest main game. It really that extra time to polish in the visual aspect.

-The battle system...maybe because it's still new but the new damage formula and how action speed works makes it very simplistic and easy to score kills. No wonder there's no PVP.

-The way the menus are designed is confusing. You got 3 menus: the main one (party, items, save, etc.), the map and requests, and the Pokedex, all with a different button assigned, and even me, more than 30 hours into the game, I still get them mixed up and waste my time. Why isn't the map and dex accessible through the main menu like the previous games smh...

-The final battle before the credits roll is disappointing, specially after the 3 previous Noble battles. The pattern is very simple and easy to avoid, the health bar goes down fast and it doesn't even use much the time and space motif. I beat this boss without getting the chance of battling it with my team, that's how quick it went down.

-The regional forms available. We got regular Sneasel and Alolan Vulpix but we're missing a lot like regular Growlithe, Alolan Geodude, Galarian Ponyta and Mr Mime, etc.

-Honestly, I hate that they have to lock content like the Shaymin and Darkrai missions unless you have save data of other games that you might not be a fan of...

Last edited:
decided to do this again with PLA and BDSP

Favorite: Pokemon Legends: Arceus
- The lack of proper battling, especially PVP, is a bit of a sore point for me
- Some of the ride mons can be a little wonky, namely Braviary (I know it only has 65 base speed but you're telling me it can't maintain altitude?) and Basculegion (aiming Pokeballs while surfing is hell)
- Gameplay does get a little repetitive after a while, namely regarding catching Pokemon. I wish there were more unique ways to catch em aside from sneaking up and throwing a heavy ball
- Not necessarily an issue exclusive to PLA, but the fact that several mythicals are locked behind old saves is annoying, even if they're not required to complete the dex
- Why is every legendary shiny locked? For what purpose?
- Kamado.

Least Favorite: Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl
- The E4 and champion using fully EV'd spreads is a great touch
- The musicians did a fantastic job remastering the classic soundtrack, and the new legendary theme is a banger (extra points for weaving in Lugia's Song, of all things, into the song)
- Shiny Arceus is finally available without the need for an event again! (albeit you need a 100%ed PLA save)

Negative points on faves:

Both Unova games:
-Cut content was mentioned before, so that, but also it feels like in this game there's less incentive to go back to earlier places than before. (This happens in games after Unova but since it was the first, I wanted to shout it out lol). I get that Pokemon in general is quite linear but even in games prior, it felt more rewarding to try and go back to earlier routes to see what you missed or couldn't access. BW2 kind of addresses this, especially with the incentives of Join Avenue, but not really...

-Getting Hidden abilities outside of the Dream World was quite frustrating. Even though the Dream World experience was cool, I'm kind of glad the series is moving away from dependence on external sites/devices to access stuff. Hidden hollows weren't that great for those abilities either imo.

Platinum
-Both HM reliance and DP version exclusives not being available were mentioned, but I do wanna shout out the second point because having one of Murkrow/Stunky/Glameow would've helped with Fantina's damn Mismagius imo...

-Rival kind of feels like a wasted character in so many instances. He's your best friend and constantly ahead of you (he has rock climb access before you can even get to the freaking gym) but even by Pokemon rival standards it feels like he doesn't get explored at all. At least Bianca and the XY folks had motivations of some kind.

PLA
-Another more series-wide complaint but getting new evolution items feels unnecessarily hard. Shouldn't you want people to get Kleavor and Ursaluna? Or to finally be able to evolve those trade evos without a trade? It legitimately feels easier to catch Alakazam in the wild than it is to evolve Kadabra.

-Too little water. Seriously, you only have one region that lets you explore water and water types, and in general water-type availability feels like it sucks in this game, it just feels like you see Psyduck/Golduck, Basculin, the Tentas, and not-a-water-type-anymore Qwilfish. Although maybe being on Basculegion less is helpful for sanity purposes...

Favorites of least faves

XY
-In terms of type diversity and availability in the main story, I genuinely think these games have the best throughout the game. So many accessible Pokemon to build really creative teams for in-game runs.

-Wonder Trade was an incredible feature. My most fun Nuzlocke runs have been Wonderlockes

ORAS
- The Sea Mauville was so cool. I love shipwreck explorations, more pls

-Soaring was fun even if I hated Sky Battles

-Mega Sharpedo! (even if it deserves a tail dammit)

HGSS
- Some genuinely beautiful environments - the towers in Ecruteak were really pretty, and I loved both Ho-Oh and Lugia's summoning moments

- I liked most of the Kanto leader redesigns, but Blaine is just a snazzy dude

- Even though it sucked that it was event-locked, I liked the Silver content a lot. I think he's a cool rival at the start but runs out of steam in terms of motivation, so it was cool to get that moment with him.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
-Rival kind of feels like a wasted character in so many instances. He's your best friend and constantly ahead of you (he has rock climb access before you can even get to the freaking gym) but even by Pokemon rival standards it feels like he doesn't get explored at all. At least Bianca and the XY folks had motivations of some kind.
Not sure if this is enough to ease your criticism, but isn't Platinum more explicit than DP about him trying to measure up to his father as a trainer and worrying about whether he can? Especially, of course, when he loses to Jupiter offscreen.

Not sure if this is enough to ease your criticism, but isn't Platinum more explicit than DP about him trying to measure up to his father as a trainer and worrying about whether he can? Especially, of course, when he loses to Jupiter offscreen.
I may have forgotten the ins and outs of that particular scenario haha. But tbh, if it makes sense, knowing he had such a strong trainer as his dad made me wish for more from him, you know? I know it's not exactly a Pokemon thing to have the deepest NPCs but I think there was potential there to give him a story beyond hyperactive kid who just wants Pokemon and to battle.

Negatives of my favourite game (BW2):
- The so-called difficulty settings are wrong on a lot of levels. First, there's the fact that you need ANOTHER game to unlock the other difficulty modes, unless you want to erase your current save. Then, there's the fact that the supposed Challenge Mode is "trainers are 4-5 levels higher; major trainers have 1 more Pokémon and maybe an adjusted moveset or two", and barely anything else - it just requires a little more grinding (which is bad) and then it becomes as easy as the normal mode (which is also bad). Frankly, if this is what they mean by "harder", then don't add difficulty settings at all.
- The Medal System was a pretty fine idea, but the execution was questionable. You need to look for an NPC to check your achievements, and then you're getting them one at a time, which depending on how long it's been you've checked your medals, you might be stuck for a long time. It's pretty much the same issue as with Super Mario Odyssey's achievement system.
- Resolute Forme Keldeo is possibly the most pointless form difference in the entire series.

Positives of my least favourite game (Yellow):
- You can get all starters without trading, something that has not been done ever again (not counting its pseudo-remake, Let's Go).

I can't think of another positive of Yellow that doesn't apply to the other Gen I games though.
BW2 are among my favourites too and I'll add that there's another annoying problem with Challenge Mode where they didn't bother to increase the levels of the Driftveil Tournament trainers or any of your double battle partners, leading to instances where Hugh's Pokemon will decrease in level between a rival fight and a Plasma double. It really messes with the immersion for me.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Now that I think about it, if I really wanted to, I'd love to make this into a personal project. I've been comparing the games this way, since... geez, how long has it been? I feel really old now. Every game has its pros and cons, and who knows? Maybe, just maybe I'll post my responses someday.
Hey, guys? Remember when I said this? Well, let's do it. I've made a list of all the games relative to this discussion topic. For the purpose of this thread, the good games are the ones I'm going to say bad things about and the bad games are the ones I'm going to say good things about. Let's get right into it.

Picture coming later, I could have sworn it was working earlier

RGB: Introduced the franchise and is the only game that didn't make any sacrifices from previous games because there were none.
Yellow: All three Kanto starters on one save file is really cool, I wish more games had this with their starters

GS: Generation 2 Shinies will always be superior to the modern day ones in my opinion
Crystal: Basically the same game but with this cool thing called the Odd Egg that should also come back at some point

RS: Version-exclusive evil teams is a brilliant idea that we've only ever seen here and in this game's remakes
Colloseum: This story mode is honestly way shorter than you remember
FRLG: You can't get GSC evolutions (Crobat, Espeon/Umbreon, etc.) for way too long of a time frame
Emerald: Juan exists.
XD: They massively nerfed the GBA compatibility compared to Colloseum from what I've heard

DP: I actually view the slower pace as a good thing because you get to listen to the music for longer
Platinum: Cyrus having two Red Chains instead of one is such a freaking cop-out, it's like he knew about DP's version of events
HGSS: The level curve in this game is still really freaking terrible, can't argue with that

BW: There's literally no reason to replay this over B2W2 if you're looking for a better overall Unova experience gameplay-wise
B2W2: Give me one good reason Mewtwo finally got a signature move this gen AND a second movie and you still can't find one in this game

XY: I forgot how good these route songs were, holy crap
ORAS: A huge supermajority of the new Pokémon are locked behind the National Dex upgrade for the DexNav

SM: Imagine shoving what could have been Pokémon Z into an entirely different region. #LazyGameDesign
USUM: This game can lowkey be kinda challenging if you turn off the Exp. Share, much needed after three stupid-easy games
Let's Go: Having that astronomically low chance for wild Legendary Birds to spawn in the sky is really neat, I want more of this treatment

SwSh: Even with the Dex cuts, 600+ mons if counting DLC (with all past Legendaries) is freaking incredible
BDSP: First game since RGB to have every Pokémon (up to 493, but still) available in just the two versions
Legends: The new battle system either makes battles way too easy or way too hard, no in between

the ones that I think were great...
Black/White
- Not going to lie, early game mon distribution was terrible. Before the second gym, my only true party member was my starter, and I had to lug that gift Pansear around until I was able to catch my next batch of Pokémon partners in Pinwheel Forest.

- I hope you like grinding bc you'll be going to do that a lot in the post-game if you want to actually defeat Alder and successfully leave the infamous Undella villa unscathed
- berry farming is dream world only snore
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
- Story was definitely butchered from Sun/Moon. Lusamine is no longer an actual threat. Ultra Megalopolis really needed more fleshing out.
- Ultra Warp Ride was more of a chore than anything really entertaining.
- Despite how thrilling the Rainbow Rocket postgame is, I can't help put point towards many potholes Giovanni opened up I need to rant about.

...and the ones that kinda were there
Sword/Shield

- Applin line is ingenious and one of the best things to come out of the generation that ended the National Dex - the Issac Newton callouts (falling apple from tree fable for his discovery of gravity) from Flapple's signature move mostly make up for the lack of a Cambridge-based location in Galar.
- Isle of Armor move tutors have some good shit
- If you ignore the poopy pop-in and the lack of playable space, the backgrounds of the Galarian settlements actually look nice and would totally fit as a framed picture hanging on a conservatory wall
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
- Lavender Town has gotten a major overhaul - especially with the call forward to the theme of Lavender Town in Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver during the cutscene where the orphaned Cubone reunites with its dead mother Marowak before it gently passes on, just wish the oddly amusing Channeler trainers were used more outside of Lavender Town, you still only see one in Saffron Gym and that's it
- EXP Candies felt more at home in this game rather than in Sword/Shield due to how casual the games are supposed to be
- I totally didn't see Mina making a cameo, albeit younger than she is in Gen VII, was interesting finding out you could battle her and all that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)