The Sands of Agrahbah

INTRO

SnarfBoyWonder here, with a team I've been having fun with on PO and PS. It seems sand teams have almost disappeared lately, especially more offensive ones. In this rain and sun dominated meta game, sand is almost as scarce as hail. So I decided to make a sand team to combat these other weathers. I won't bore you with the whole team building section(I know I skip most of them) so let's get right into the sets.

THE SQUAD

Iago (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar/Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Hippowdon may seem like a weird choice over Tyranitar on a more offensive team, but I needed a pokemon that could bring sand, rocks, and enough physical bulk to take on threats like Terrakion and Scizor. Hippowdown fits the bill perfectly. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB move and hits Terrakion and Tyranitar hard. The choice between Roar and Ice Fang is tough. Roar let's me take a hit and phaze out threats I can't beat, like Gyrados. Ice Fang, on the other hand lets the hippo take down 4x weak threats, like Dragonite. Stealth Rock is the best move in the game and needs no real explanation. Slack Off is one of the main reasons to every use Hippowdon over Tyranitar. It let's him stick around longer and makes winning the weather wars so much easier.

Jasmine (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 168 SDef / 252 HP / 88 Def
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Ferrothorn is here to take the ever present Water and Dragon attacks aimed at my team. The ChestoRest set is a lot of fun, essentially giving her 2 health bars and a one time immunity to status. Power Whip is a strong move, even uninvested. It puts dents into the Water, Rock and Ground types in the tier. Spikes is for even more residual damage. Thunder Wave cripples sweepers who might switch in, giving my other pokemon an easier time. Rest is for a one time recovery and improves her longevity.

Genie (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 144 Spd / 112 HP
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom W helps combat rain threats like Politoed, Gyrados, and Tornadus. His great typing gives me my only flying resist, as well as a another water resist. Hydro Pump is the main move to spam and is reasonably strong. It also gets a boost from all the rain teams. Volt Switch helps keep momentum, while dealing damage to the water and flying types. It also gives me a VoltTurn core witn Landorus. There are times I find myself wanting Tbot though, to secure 2HKOs without having to switch out. WoW is for crippling any physical attackers that might switch in. Pain Split gives me a form of semi recovery.

Alladin (Landorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus is often overlooked for his new Therian form, but he is still a force to be reckoned with. The main reason to use him over Landy T is his trollish 101 base speed. It let's him revenge things like +1 Volcarona and Salamence. He retains basically the same power as Landy T while in the sand, thanks to Sand Force. Landorus usually comes in after Terrakion and Alakazam blast holes in the opponents team. Earthqauke and Stone Edge form the EdgeQuake combo, giving him solid coverage. U-Turn is for scouting and retaining momentum. HP Ice hits Gliscor harder than anything else on the set.

Abu (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Terrakion has one job and one job only. To smash everything in it's path. Nothing is safe from the sheer power of this moster. Not even Skarmory, one of the best physical walls in the game can come in safely. Close Combat and Stone Edge are the main STAB moves and have excellent coverage together. X-Scissor is for those times when I don't want to miss a Stone Edge but need to hit a Psychic type. Quick Attack lets me pick off severely weakened, faster threats like Latios.

Jafar (Alakazam) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Alakazam is great to use on a sand team as he takes no passive damage thanks to his great ability. Alakazam acts as a decent revenge killer to some of the faster threats in the game, like Latios, Gengar and Starmie. Life Orb gives his some much needed power, letting him open holes for other teammates or just sweep late game himself. Psychic is used over Psyshock for the higher base power. Focus Blast nails steel Types like Ferrothorn. Shadow ball is for the threats mentioned earlier and completes his solid coverage. Sub let's me scout for moves or switches, and is extremely useful. I have thought about Calm Mind, but I never seem to find the time to use it

Any rates and criticisms are always appreciated, thanks in advanced!

Hey bro,

It is so true that rain is taking over the ladder, as it has so many abusers to combat sand with. In fact, the first thing I noticed about this team is a large weakness to Keldeo, particularly Calm Mind Variants. My proposed solution to fix this problem is a Calm Mind Latias, as a replacement for Alakazam. Right now, Alakazam just cannot stand up to neutral stab attacks, and is under pressure from Tornadus-T's trollsome 121 speed tier. For a more HO team, I would maybe just recommend adding Focus Sash to his arsenal, but in this case a switch to Latias is more advisable IMO.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock/Substitute
- Dragon Pulse

The slash lends to whether you prefer a bulkier or more deadly playing style. Psyshock primarily provides a way to take out Terrakion in sandstorm, Amoongus, Tentacruel, and boosted Keldeo. Alternatively, Substitute provides a safety net against status, U-turning Genesects, and pursuiting Tyranitars.

The next thing I have to say is more of a suggestion, but I believe it would help to add an LO Stoutland as your sand revenger. With Sand Rush, the doggy actually has higher speed than anything under Scarfrakion (going Jolly lets you beat it but then you start missing out on KOs). You will also lose a water weakess, and gain the ability to switch moves, which helps as your team has no spinner and hurts when facing hazard based stall.

Stoutland (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Wild Charge

Other than that, this team appears to be quite solid. Have fun out there!

Why the heck is Landorus, a genie, not named the genie

Hi There pretty decent Sand team you got there I would only make a few changes to the team Instead of the Landorus Set your using right now I would change it to the special Sheer Force Landorus set

Landorus @ Life Orb
IV:30 attack 30 Defense
252 in Sp.Attack and 252 in Speed 4 in Sp.def
Nature:Timid
~Earth Power
~Focus Blast
~Hp Ice
~Substitute/ Rock Polish

Another suggestion would be change your Terrakion to scarf as Landorus is not scarfed anymore.

And I would have a LO Latias over Alakazam because by the looks of it your team is pretty weak to SD Breloom

Latias @ Life Orb
EV: 252 in Speed 16 in HP and rest in Sp.Attack
Nature: Timid
~Draco Meteor
~Hp Fire
~Psyshock
~Recover

GL with the team!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team dude!

Firstly I want to second TheStarRapper's recommendation of Latias over Alakazam. Not only does it give you a solid counter to Keldeo but it also gives you an even more important, in my opinion, check to Sun Teams. At the moment, in the Sun none of your team are ready to take on threats like Venusaur, you've got to get your Sand up(Hippowdon can't switch in) and then try to revenge kill. Latias gives you numerous useful resists, namely ones to Fire and Grass. The only 'mon commonly run on Sun teams that gives Latias problems is Genesect, so I'd definitely run Substitute over Psyshock, you still beat Keldeo is Dragon Pulse anyway.

To me the frist big threat that seems to stick out is Tornadus-T, a lot of teams have problem with it simply due to the nature of its stats, ability, and high-powered Hurricanes. I suggest changing up Rotom-W's EV spread to 252 HP/ 252 SDef / 4 SAtk. This allows it to comfortable absorb many more Hurricanes than it would otherwise be able to.

The next troublesome 'mon I see is Toxic Stall Gliscor. With a moveset of Sub/Toxic/Protect/Earthquake it can cause some serious harm. Many sand teams have trouble dealing with this Gliscor because their sweepers tend to give the scorpion opportunities to Sub up. For this reason I suggest changing Landorus' item to Expert Belt. This acts as a very potent lure for Gliscors as you bait the Choice item until you can strike.

With the lose of your revenger killer my final suggestion is to try Choice Scarf Terrakion with Rock Slide over Quick Attack. It plays a similar, trading Attack power for Speed. Rock Slide is used for those situations when you don't want Stone Edge to miss.

Good Luck!

I feel SD Lucario packing the BP could be abit problematic late game, when your hippowdon is KOd or weakened and if the rotom-w is taken care of.
So to take care of that, I'd try to fit someone with Mach in their.
I feel Infernape could do some good as it helps you deal with Lucario/Stoutland/Sun Teams/Virizion+Breloom/Steel Types(such as skarm).

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi, cool team you got here!

Now as others have identified, you have problems with stuff like LO Starmie and Tornadus -T, which both can dismantle your rather fragile Rotom-W spread with utter ease. It is for this reason I am backing using a more defensive spread of 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk Calm over your current one. Although you do lose some offensive power, you still have a sturdy check to stuff like Gyarados, Starmie, and Landorus.

I also am going to promote that suggestion to Calm Mind Latias, as it really does aid you in defeating Sun teams and beating Keldeo who is very troublesome for your team.

Latias @ Leftovers | Levitate
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)