The Underused Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I finally made it to freaking 1500, after ridiculous struggles against hax, terrible niche and unexpected movesets (#StuffBrobatLosesTo, Scarf Emboar, AKA FAST BACON), occasional choke plays, and terrible matchups at times because of what I was using. But nonetheless I did it. I'll probably try to ladder higher to at least make sure I don't decay, but I need to seriously be more careful when that comes about. For now, though. C-Rank:

I also tweaked my team, which is in the original post I made and edited twice. I stuck with both my primary Dark Horses, Slowking, and Avalugg. I guess now since I'm here, I'll explain a bit about them and my experiences in using them, cause what good is this kind of a project without at least a little bit of discussion, right? The idea to use Avalugg and Slowking actually came from some goofing around I did in RU Beta. I was surprised at Avalugg's ability to sponge physical hits surprisingly well, even ones it was weak to at times. Same deal with Slowking, as Assault Vest Slowking, did the same with special attacks. I figured the two paired together decently since one covered the other's weaknesses, so long as you could just get another mon to back Avalugg up and take the Rock/Fighting/Fire physical hits aimed at it, while Slowking took whatever was in between.

From what I've found, Avalugg is stupidly good at sponging physical hits even in UU, and it has actually clutched me a few games. Of course, using a Spinner who sometimes relies on the ability Sturdy while having an SR weakness and susceptibility to all hazards is no bueno. But even then, it still managed to chew hits up and spin. Literally, any physical attacker who didn't carry a move it was weak to, was checked by Avalugg. I'm looking at you, Honchkrow, Crawdaunt, Snorlax, non-mixed Mega Absol, Hippowdon, Donphan, Krookodile, etc. I could go on. I actually decided to save some choice replays on my alt, most of them mainly demonstrating Avalugg's power. Nonetheless. AV Slowking did cameo and pull through a few times I'm sure, but focus on Avalugg for now.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-117003123
Battle I had against Kitten Milk on his alt for this past Research Week, Avalugg actually checked his entire team. Sadly I pulled a CoolStoryChokebat at the end and overestimated the bulk it had. But take a look at how long it lasted through the match, and how much weight it pulled. Also this was before the recent changes I made to my team, so Doublade and Rotom-H made cameos too.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118040602
Battle I had against some guy on the ladder. I didn't really talk about it cause I wasn't sure if I wanted it to be a concrete change, but I put in Porygon2 over Rotom-H for a while just to see how it went, since I felt I needed a backup special tank to assist Slowking. Anyway, Slowking does show it can take some hits it's weak to and still get the job done, but the real part you should focus on is turn 22. It's beautiful I swear.

There were more replays I could have saved overall, but mainly that Avalugg is surprisingly underestimated and underrated in the Underused environment. AV Slowking, Dragon Tail comes heavily in handy for shuffling stuff, especially when Rocks are up. It's kind of annoying that Florges blocks the move completely, but still. Also you may have noticed my AV Slowking is Specially Defensive, and that seems redundant. My team's a little Hydreigon weak and I need a little more closure against it. Slowking can eat Draco Meteors like they were chicken wings, but not too many Dark Pulses. The extra bulk helped it take 'em a bit better overall, allowing it to hit back with Ice Beam (which I specifically put on Slowking over Fire Blast down the line just to deal with Hydreigon). If I do ladder any further I might post some more about the rest of my team, but the main two dark horses I used and wanted to focus on were Avalugg and Slowking.

Gardevoir's pretty cool too, Modest Scarf Gardevoir goes in. All that needs to be said can be summed up in 2 more replays for your viewing pleasure cause I know you're sick of reading by now:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118360515

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-118364791

May as well lump both these replays together because in the end, and spoiler, Scarf Gardevoir basically cleans up against the threats that were otherwise putting in a ton of work on my team. Not only that but I needed another Fighting check if I was gonna go in with Snorlax (used to be AV Snorlax for some wack reason, but now I run CurseLax, which functions as a surprisingly dope win condition), and Scarf Gardevoir fit perfectly. I actually wanted to use Whimsicott, but it wasn't doing too nicely for me, so I eventually caved to Gardevoir, and I'm liking it so far. :]

Can I re join with different dark horses?
You asked this (read; something very similar) last month. The answer is still no.

On another note, I'll do a full update on this later on in the week and get everyone onto the OP wherever applicable.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Updating again because of this:

(for those too lazy to type in a full URL)

I made a few changes to my team that I'm a lot more comfortable with. Gonna put the link to my original post with my team in this and just edit it, so click here if you wanna see what my team now is. I will say though, I am a bit guilty, because I got a few instances of hax against Limitless in both games I played against him. And for that I'm legit sorry, dude, because the countless number of times I played him before, I always lost (fuggin Mew / Florges / Slowbro core too strong).

I haven't changed my main Dark Horses of Avalugg and Slowking; they've remained untouched and the same, and will stay together through thick and thin. Honestly, using them so much made 'em both grow on me, cause before this I honestly considered Avalugg a huge waste of a mon, and Slowking as being outclassed by its 'bro'. I'm not gonna go for 1750, I'm not that real and I know it, lol. Anyway, lemme hit y'all with some more replays of stuff in action:

This is probably my favorite replay, despite it being on the last build of my team before I finally pulled Hydreigon and Gardevoir:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-119819937

It pretty much shows EVERYBODY in action (except Nidoqueen and Hydreigon, they got Skillrachi'd), one way or another. Gardevoir Tricks Jellicent its Choice Scarf, allowing its partners to eventually pave the way for a paralyzed Curselax to come through. Avalugg eating physical hits from pretty much everything he had left, Slowking doing a little work and being an emergency check to Machamp. (It didn't do much else this game but mostly pivot in and out, but it worked) It was pretty much the epitome of how I wanted the team to work, get a Curselax sweep in motion, with Gardevoir either revenge killing or using Trick to cripple whatever walls or annoying mons were in the way to hinder it so that its teammates could come through.

This one was up against a Rain team, and I think Slowking shined a ton more in this one because of its refusal to die to special moves in general. You also see how my team works with the changes I put in place, after adding in Noivern and Mega Banette.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-120189601

Noivern was a faster Dragon-type than Hydreigon, and I added it because I was annoyed by the things that could outpace Hydreigon and essentially still threaten my team afterward, even without a Scarf (LO Mienshao, etc. Mainly Mienshao though, I hate that guy). I also felt Gardevoir, despite the 4x Fighting resistance my team needed, was replaceable. She was more of a hit-or-miss Pokemon (except when using Focus Blast, then she always missed) and didn't always pull a ton of weight since most other scarfers still outran her, while she didn't have a ton of wallbreaking strength. Noivern allowed me to keep a fast cleaner, since I could otherwise cover most scarfers defensively. Noivern's Switcheroo also let me keep the utility of crippling stuff that hinders my team, which was a huge advantage that saved me in a number of games.

Mega Banette, I originally used Sableye. He was cool but I was annoyed at the amount of issues Florges gave me, and the fact Mega Houndoom and Hydreigon (and pretty much every Fire-type) got a free switch on it to do work on my team. I liked Mega Banette's ability to prevent me from being outright swept thanks to prankster Destiny Bond. Even though it lacks the Recover Sableye has, it can annoy and hinder opposing teams just as nicely. :]

So...yeah, Avalugg and Slowking 4 lyfe. If I edit this post, I'm probably gonna put a picture there or somethin'

edit: Told you I'd put a pic:

...Yeah I made that. Bros 4 lyfe

Last edited:
Sorry y'all, I'm done for this month. With a bunch of brutal losses thanks to hax, my account went really low, and I lack the motivation to climb back up. Anyhow, I'm fine with a C for this month, and I'll try for higher next month.

CoolStoryBrobat

A quick PSA...Our beloved Mazz is leaving, and he put me in charge of the thread for this project. (Meaning i'm gonna be constantly harassing Kokoloko/Ernesto/Limitless/whoever to update the OP of this regularly for me)

Also, President Shinra and anybody else unaware, you don't need to maintain your score for this project. Peaks are all that count, meaning you're still fine even if you tanked a few points (or several). I asked Mazz about it last night before he left, just to make sure. So anybody else who's doing this and has lost interest because of inability to maintain your score, just push for that 1500+ and you're good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)