This Salamence slaughters everything

Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 120 Atk / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Nature: Mild or Rash
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break
- Crunch/Roost

(move EV's from Atk to HP if using Roost)

It's really simple.

The main SpecsMence counters are Blissey, Cresselia, and prediction (switching in the pokemon resistant to the predicted move). Well...

- Brick Break tears up Blissey (along with other stuff).
- A Draco Meteor followed by a Crunch does roughly 80% - 100% to Cresselia, meaning it'll get taken down even if it's slightly unhealthy. A Fire Blast followed by a Draco Meteor will do similar damage.
- Since this Salamence can switch moves, the last option doesn't really work either. (If Jirachi comes in on Draco Meteor, you can follow up with Fire Blast unlike SpecsMence)

Draco Meteor, paired with Fire Blast still dispenses of practically everything else, even without Specs. After all, Life Orb multiplies damage by 1.3 -- still plenty.

It has 270 speed (enough to beat most Heracross).

DAMAGE CALCULATIONS against everything on the D/P Analysis's counter list + Slowbro

Blissey
Bold 252 HP/ 252 Def
Brick Break: 50.98% - 60.08% (Stealth Rock/Sandstorm for definite 2HKO)

Empoleon
Calm 252 HP / 252 SDef
Brick Break: 60.48% - 71.24%

Cresselia
Calm 252 HP / 252 SDef
Draco Meteor: 43.47% - 51.13%
Crunch: 41.67% - 49.10%

Bold 252 HP / 252 Def
Draco Meteor: 52.70% - 61.94%
Crunch: 31.31% - 36.71%

Bronzong
Calm 252 HP / 252 SDef
Fire Blast: 71.01% - 83.43%

Gliscor
252 HP
Draco Meteor: 104.52% - 122.88%

Rhyperior
252 HP
Draco Meteor: 108.53% - 127.65%

252 HP and Sandstorm
Draco Meteor: 72.53% - 85.10%

Hippwodon
252 HP
Draco Meteor: 90.95% - 107.14%

Gyarados
212 HP (BulkyGyara)
Draco Meteor: 76.04% - 89.58%

Weezing
252 HP
Draco Meteor: 117.07% - 137.72%

Heatran
128 HP
Brick Break: 54.37% - 63.94%

Cradily
Careful 252 HP / 252 SDef
Brick Break: 55.32% - 64.89%
Draco Meteor: 53.72% - 63.03%

Relaxed 252 HP / 252 SDef and Sandstorm
Draco Meteor: 35.81% - 42.02%

Suicune
Bold 252 HP / 252 Def
Draco Meteor: 64.36% - 75.74%
Draco Meteor 2: 32.18% - 37.87%

Milotic
Bold 252 HP / 252 Def
Draco Meteor: 61.42% - 72.34%
Draco Meteor 2: 30.71% - 36.17%

Calm 252 HP / 252 SDef
Draco Meteor: 45.94% - 54.06%
Crunch: 33.25% - 39.09%

Slowbro
Bold 252 HP / 252 Def
Draco Meteor: 89.09% - 104.82%

Can you do some calculations for Careful Cradily's and Sassy Bronzongs? They seem much more common. Also, most Heracross won't stay in if you can get the Intimidate in, so I'm not sure if the speed is that important.

Hmm...Would a stat-upping move like Dragon Dance work here? Maybe just to fake them into thinking you're physical. I would keep Brick Break / Draco Meteor / Fire Blast for sure though.

Eraidesune Harifuda: I'm not saying I invented anything. It's just not in the D/P analysis, and seeing how seemingly simple and obvious this set is, I felt the need to post it.

DEL337ED: Dragon Danced Brick Break doesn't OHKO Blissey, and for that reason mostly, I don't think Dragon Dance would be that useful.

SWChill: my bad, didn't see the posts coming after until I responded to the first guy

What happens when you use Draco Meteor and the opponent brings in a steel wall? Your Sp Atk is to low to OHKO by then, and they could get you with a status.

Okay, you use one draco meteor, then they switch into swampert, then what? I doubt that you can ohko a swampert after your sp atk is lowered from the draco meteor, in fact I am 80% sure that you cant.

Seems like a good idea to have DD on it. If even after one you can't OHKO Blissey, after two you can, right? So with a nice set up, it gets a nice +2 speed, too. If I liked to use Salamence, I guess I'd go with this set.

What happens when you use Draco Meteor and the opponent brings in a steel wall? Your Sp Atk is to low to OHKO by then, and they could get you with a status.
I guess you switch, lol.

You know, You can switch Salamence out too you know. It's not like only your opponent can switch. If anything, you would get a hit in on the switch and then switch to a counter of your own. You know, how a battle usually works?

Same with Swampert. But we would need to damagae calculation on how much DM does to Swampert and how much the second move ,Brick Break or Crunch, would do.

Hmm...Would a stat-upping move like Dragon Dance work here? Maybe just to fake them into thinking you're physical. I would keep Brick Break / Draco Meteor / Fire Blast for sure though.
You probably want to stay away from being another "Chain Chomp" mimic. Using a buff like DD probably wouldn't do anything in terms of faking out your opponent.

Roost is nice, but it doesn't seem that Salamence has the defenses to put up that kind of charade, not to mention that you're already using Life Orb to chip away at your own HP. Especially if it's only to out-do Cresselia. The same could probably be said about Crunch.

Brick Break is an interesting option though. Draco Meteor and Fire Blast seems familiar together, but I guess it is a nice combo. Have you considered using Dragon Claw at all?

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't believe this if I hadn't seen this in action before. Roost allows it to stay around for the entire battle too, which is neat in the stealth rock environment.

what kade said >_>
and I've played around with a frighteningly similar build before
and from my exp, it works pretty well when you add a few more atk evs (I've always had brick break on my sala :D)
draco meteor is great, but I don't think maxing it out makes too much difference
Roost seems great on paper, but I don't think this sala has any business trying to heal itself while it's supposed to be raping stuff and half-suiciding with life orb
"faking people out" with dd kinda lost the surprise factor a while ago, the build you have there is fine

as for steel walls:

Skarmory - will die to Draco Meteor + weak Fire Blast
Metagross - will also die to Draco Meteor + weak Fire Blast (don't underestimate Draco Meteor)
Jirachi (the standard) takes 36.41% - 42.89% from Draco Meteor, then 42.39% - 49.88% from the weakened Fire Blast. it will ko if jirachi has taken any damage previously. also, Jirachi can't do much back (it's zen headbutt is really weak on the standard set) so just 3HKO that guy.
Bronzong will survive Draco Meteor + Fire Blast. However, Bronzong will not survive Brick Break + Fire Blast, Crunch + Fire Blast, or Fire Blast x2... so catch the Bronzong switch in with any move but Draco Meteor. IMO it's not really a problem, just a hassle.

Kade Zonglo: Careful and Sassy are exactly the same except they subtract from different stats so its the same damage for Cradilys. with Bronzong it doesn't really matter. If they have any other nature they will take even more from Fire Blast.

Solar Crash: Salamence actually has more time to Roost than you think. Intimidate lets it take physical hits pretty well, and you can also use it to hide from unstabbed rock attacks (like from maybe donphan if its not using ice pebble)

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
SePh used this against me once in one of our many battles, and I can assure you that if you can predict, it works. Very well.

Doesn't Jirachi usually use a electric move anyways? So you can still hit him with the Fire Blast.

:D

Draco Meteor being the main move means it won't sweep entire teams in one shot, but it tears up walls really well.

[SET]
[SET]
name: MixMence
move 1: Brick Break
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Earthquake
item: Life Orb
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant/Lonely/Naughty
evs: 120hp/252atk/136spd

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb was almost made for a Mixed Salamence. The first three moves hit everything hard, and Stone Edge is preferable to Rock Slide on MixMence since it won't exactly be flinching much with Rock Slide or even trying to. 270 Speed again to ensure Heracross doesn't spoil your fun, and you can use a hindering Def or SpD nature if you want to get more mileage out of Fire Blast. Use Earthquake if you really hate Empoleon.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>You can put a Choice Scarf on virtually any pokémon in the game and pose the threat of a surprise, but if you want to do it for Salamence put it on the DDMence set and replace Dragon Dance with Brick Break or Fire Fang (the latter instead of Fire Blast for its flinching capabilities). Yache berry (Ice resist) is a viable option on the DDer, but Dragonite and Garchomp make better use of it with their superior defenses. Roost could work well on the MixMence set, likely over whichever Rock attack you choose. Further regarding MixMence, you can go with Draco Meteor, especially if it's your lone Special attack. Crunch hits Slowbro and Dusknoir harder than Dragon Claw on the CB set as well. Wish and Protect can go with Leftovers on a more defensively EVed, support Salamence, but there are better Wishers that don't take as much damage from Stealth Rock.</p>
Straight from Jumpman's analysis. It's not exactly listed, but it is there in other options. It's a good set and all, just not exactly new. One of your reasons for posting this was it wasn't in the analysis, it was, just hidden.

So yeah, damage calculations. Cradilys don't run Relaxed for the most part, Special wall in Sandstorm wants Careful. :)

brick break on careful cradily 55.32% - 64.89%

the damage calculation for careful was already up there actually, i just called the nature the wrong name by mistake. i simply calculated with a neutral bearing, which careful has

Hyra - I see. heh.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In other news Electivire 2HKOs everything that switches in on the move that hits them SE.

Too bad that usually only happens once.

Oh yeah, and Blissey and Cress totally own you with Ice Beam thanks to you eating up 10% of your health every time you attack. Nevermind what Stealth Rock+Life Orb does to your HP.

This is a generic Life Orb set with Mediocre speed. Pray to God Garchomp doesn't come in on the wrong move: (Read: Not Draco Meteor) and rape you with its own Draco Meteor or Dragon Claw.

270 speed only works if you're using a Choice Scarf and are intent on beating Hera. CB Hera are usually Jolly, Scarf Hera are usually Adamant.

Also, your Draco Meteor reading on Cradily looks out of whack. If anyone is using Cradily, its probably because they have Sandstorm up. In Sandstorm, that Draco Meteor gets bumped down to 31-38% on 252 HP/0 Sdef Careful.

Again, Generic Life Orb set on a capable mixed attacker. Totally Groundbreaking...

In other news Electivire 2HKOs everything that switches in on the move that hits them SE.

Too bad that usually only happens once.

Oh yeah, and Blissey and Cress totally own you with Ice Beam thanks to you eating up 10% of your health every time you attack. Nevermind what Stealth Rock+Life Orb does to your HP.

This is a generic Life Orb set with Mediocre speed. Pray to God Garchomp doesn't come in on the wrong move: (Read: Not Draco Meteor) and rape you with its own Draco Meteor or Dragon Claw.

270 speed only works if you're using a Choice Scarf and are intent on beating Hera. CB Hera are usually Jolly, Scarf Hera are usually Adamant.

Also, your Draco Meteor reading on Cradily looks out of whack. If anyone is using Cradily, its probably because they have Sandstorm up. In Sandstorm, that Draco Meteor gets bumped down to 31-38% on 252 HP/0 Sdef Careful.

Again, Generic Life Orb set on a capable mixed attacker. Totally Groundbreaking...
QFE.

The set is nice and all, but the fact that Salamence takes 25% from Stealth Rock each time it switches in, 6% each turn if Sandstorm is up and 10% from Life Orb each time it attacks is too much of a turn off for me. Seriously, not even Wish support can help it out when your taking that much damage. Then again, I never was much of a fan for Life Orb on anything. Maybe Expert Belt could work?

And yeah, quite a few Pokemon can be "wallbreakers" (Garchomp, Infernape, Electivire, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)