Those Weird Pokémon

I can't really use Jumpluff or Gastrodon well for some reason. I just can't use Celebi or Milotic well either, same with Forretress.

Sometimes I can use Milotic, Gastrodon or Celebi well, but Jumpluff and Forretress just don't match my playing style, which is setup and offense...

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Instead of thinking of it as "Pokes you don't know how to use", I think of it the other way around. There are a bunch of about 20 Pokes that I've used in the past whose strenghts and weaknesses I know intimatly, and hence it's easier to build a team with those guys then a bunch of randoms.

When building a team I try to restrict myself to only one unfamiliar Poke. Trying to learn how to use multiple at the same time - however effective they might seem on paper - just doesn't work.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Team building process:

-Take a look at smogon battle stats
-Go down the list and find the 6 highest ranked sweepers
-Take out Gengar because he's as frail as a wet paper bag
-Find the 7th highest ranked sweeper
-Put the 6 highest ranked sweepers except gengar on a team

xD just kidding

edit: sort of

uhh, yachechomp. seriously, lo chomp always worked fine for me, but yachechomp... I really missed the power loss. I also never understood how to cb chomp without getting revenge killed immediately.

LO gengar.it sucks ass. ppls said hes a monster etc etc but whenever i use him i rarely kill more than 1 opponent it just doesnt have enough power to OHKO stuff and it feels so slow.The only gengar that worked for me is scarfgar

I never had a succesful team with Blissey, so I avoid using her.

And I just have a mental block for Steelix. Can't use it, can't fight it. It's a Pokémon that irritates me. About the same could be said about Hitmonlee.

There are quite a few I find it difficult to use well... I have problems with Heatran, Skarmory, Celebi, Lucario, Gengar and Garchomp to name a few... Having said that, I manage well enough with Dusknoir, Hippowdon etc, which others have said they have trouble with, so I can feel good about myself to an extent :P

I think the fact that I can predict when to use pain split contributes greatly to me being somewhat decent with Dusknoir... I run a rather strange moveset comprising of Shadow Punch, Shadow Sneak, Will-o-wisp and Pain Split, but even with just residual from W-o-w and mono-attacking, it ususally gets around 1-2 KOs per match purely from pain split...

Lucario, and it drives me nuts when other people seem to use my pogeys as set up bait and then sweep, whereas I immediately get shut down.
Forretress is another bad one for me, but now I just use it for stealth rocks rather than poison spikes.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Good thread idea, Basics, it really got me thinking.

CBTyranitar is a Pokemon that I've never been able to use effectively. In theory it's simple to use but I always seem to be walled instantly, and then I find it difficult to switch him back in because of that horrible set of weaknesses and low speed. It's odd because I normally love CB'ers but I lean towards fast, frail ones like Weavile rather than slow, bulky ones like Tyranitar. I also find that everytime I use Boah, I end up wishing I had opted for different coverage...I just cant find those optimal two attacks to go with Sub/Punch. DDTar, on the other hand, is the sole reason I was eligible to participate in the recent Garchomp vote...I'd been out of the metagame for a long time and I was struggling to adapt but DDTar really came through for me. I guess Tyranitar is really hit-or-miss for me.

In OU i just cant use the dragons, which may esplain my mediocre standard play. the dual ice weakness just kills me.

which is wierd cos i love using jumpluff and gliscor.....perhaps i just overestimate what tghe dragons can do?

In UU i cant use hypno or grumpig. seems to me they're too slow and have much to unreliable healing to get much done. another bothersome pokemon is claydol, who i struggle using, and struggle even more to work around...

Oddly, any wall or anything bulky in OU. The only decent walls I know how to use are Forrie and Bronzong. I can also only really use gimmick teams well for some odd reason. I also really have a hard time using Swampert and find the urge to put SpecsStar on all my teams.

Eh, there isn't much in OU that I can't work marginally well. Heracross is something that I've never really seen the point of, I've never been swept by one in D/P and fail horribly when I use it. Of course, I almost always run a Weezing, especially now that Garchomp is gone. I'm also pretty worthless with a Dragonite. I also never used Infernape well, too frail for my tastes.

I use Swampert, Weezing, and Celebi a ton though, almost every team. Heatran and Zapdos are also among my favorites. I like a bit of bulk in my team.

For some reason I can never use blissey like I should be able to... Maybe I just never heal when I need to or something, but I know how you feel basics. It's like you know this pokemon is good, but it just never works when you try to use it.

Same with breloom, though I don't even try him much.

I never could run spiritomb, celebi, infernape, luke (Way too slow, I don't know how people use him), Blissey, vaporeon, deoxys-speed, Gyarados, and Bronzong(he always get killed as a lead or otherwise)
however azelf, gengar, swampert, magnezone, scizor, zapdos, metagross, and suicune always worked great for me XD. I'm guess i only like phazing and offensive tanks rather than walls.

Good thread idea, Basics, it really got me thinking.

CBTyranitar is a Pokemon that I've never been able to use effectively. In theory it's simple to use but I always seem to be walled instantly, and then I find it difficult to switch him back in because of that horrible set of weaknesses and low speed. It's odd because I normally love CB'ers but I lean towards fast, frail ones like Weavile rather than slow, bulky ones like Tyranitar. I also find that everytime I use Boah, I end up wishing I had opted for different coverage...I just cant find those optimal two attacks to go with Sub/Punch. DDTar, on the other hand, is the sole reason I was eligible to participate in the recent Garchomp vote...I'd been out of the metagame for a long time and I was struggling to adapt but DDTar really came through for me. I guess Tyranitar is really hit-or-miss for me.
Sort of had a similar problem, but got used to it later "even though I don't use it as much or Tyranitar in general". On the other hand not all Pokemon I'm unexperienced with can't use effectively, for example TechniTop has been effective for me since the start.

It really isn't that hard to change your style of play, everyone has done it with the changing of the metagames. If you know basic pokemon, you should be able to see were the pokemon will fit in on your team. Sure, it takes a couple battles, but all teams take a couple battles to work well together. At least for me they do.

I've always had a problem with Infernape, probably due to my own recklessness and his overall frailty. Whenever I use him he never lasts for more than two turns.

Recently, I've also had a string of failed explosions because of gengar and his ghost friends switching in. Boo!

Baton Pass teams and Stall teams in general. I get too greedy on BP teams, and too sacrifice-happy on stall teams.
SubCM Raikou never works out well either, which is a shame given how awesome he is.
Also can't use things with unaacurate moves, missing just throws me off.
I love using slow and bulky CBers like Tar and Azumarill, but frail and fast ones like Weavile fail in my hands.

woah, I can't believe there are people that can't work stuff like TechniTop/YacheChomp.

For some reason I always have problems using SD Lucario, even with speed Baton passed into it! Instead, I find Specsluke much easier to use, so I think I'll almost use Lucario as a special attacker from now on.

I also tend to get too greedy on Curses with Snorlax. Oh well...

Baton Pass teams and Stall teams in general. I get too greedy on BP teams, and too sacrifice-happy on stall teams.
SubCM Raikou never works out well either, which is a shame given how awesome he is.
Also can't use things with unaacurate moves, missing just throws me off.
I love using slow and bulky CBers like Tar and Azumarill, but frail and fast ones like Weavile fail in my hands.

woah, I can't believe there are people that can't work stuff like TechniTop/YacheChomp.
If you're referring to me, then I meant that it's one of those Pokemon who I did use effectively since the start.

For me it's not being able to use the pokemon per se, but using standard sets.

I have never been able to use standard yanmega, just subreversal yanmega (yeah, it works)
and forget anything but mcgar for me
I used a chain chomp for soo long, even when it went wayy out of style

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't like Fragile things like Lucario,Gengar and the others but i don't like walls who can't attack either like Blissey and Cresselia

I always use things in between

I get too greedy on BP teams
lol, I have the same problem with stat-boosting in general. It's either that or I don't buff enough. I can't find the right balance.

I also fail at pretty much anything with a Choice item. Feel free to laugh at me for that one. Only ones I seem to be able to pull were R/S Slaking (Emerald spammed Protect like a jerk) and a Scarf Wailord (fast Water Spouts are fun. Things surviving and retaliating isn't).

EDIT: In response to Sixonesix, I can't figure out ANY physical Lucario. I tried an EndRev one (Adamant + Salac), got one kill, oh hi Jolteon, QA AARRRGGG dead. I don't even see the popularity, its Sp.Atk is higher. Yet somehow, my special Lucario (it's in my thread) seems to fail too.

I've never successfully been able to use a Swords Dance Lucario. Seriously, it's like none of its attacks except Close Combat do enough damage to be useful. I don't understand how people do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)