Too Much Offense?

I had problems with taking down certain threats, and now I am starting to feel that my team has too much offense on it, as I cannot break through walls. Can someone please tell me what defensive pivots I should add?

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Outrage

Ground typing makes it useful to block attacks like Thunder and Thunder Wave, but he rarely has a chance to show his consistency. I like Garchomp, but he struggles to do his job. Most of the time, I run into Keldeo or Amoonguss, and cannot dispose of them or stall them out (simply because I lack the defense to do so).

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Aromatherapy
- Rest

I added Shaymin to keep an offensive pivot and Aromatherapy support, but now it is doing all of the dirty work when the Therian are not around. My team really misses that Special Wall and full-cleric support. This is a definite spot to add a full cleric.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature

- Sacred Sword
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

A useful Choice attacker that can stop certain Pokemon before they can set up. I got suggested this in a previous forum, and it works well. I wish it could outrun Venusaur, though I cannot ask for everything.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Physical wall who can stop certain physical sweepers with that Nasty Gyro Ball. Hazards and Rapid Spinning come through for me. Definite keep.

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 84 Spd / 252 SAtk / 172 HP
Modest Nature

- Surf
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Simple: Hit the opponent hard. Surf is here to back up Water Spout when it is out of PP/weak due to low HP without the inaccuracy of Hydro Pump. Being locked into one move is not fun, but Jellicent's sheer power makes up for it.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature

- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Volcarona does its job well: set up before the opponent's big guns come out and be a wrecking ball. Hidden Power Rock hits Heatran for neutral damage, while leaving a mark by knocking out flying types like Gyarados and Salamence.

Recap: Garchomp (hole), Shaymin (hole), Terrakion, Foretress, Jellicent, Volcarona

Desires: More defense (particularly in Special Defense), full cleric support

Change surf to scald,the passive damage of burn alone is worth the less power,plus it's gonna be tough if you manage to burn a ferrothorn.

I'd use volt turn over gyro ball on 4tress

You might want to consider something else instead of HP rock on volcarona,you already have 3 pokemon capable of destroying salamence,gyarados and heatran.

A defensive jellicent could toxic keldeo and tanks its hits.

If you're looking at covering your defensive holes while still having that poke maintain offensive presence you might wanna try specially defensive tyranitar,base 110 spD 250 EV's and a 50% boost thanks to sandstorm is VERY bulky and can easily switch in on anything not hitting it S.E but can endure a special S.E hit even from hard hitters.

1. Jellicent is offensive, I go Scald with defensive sets
2. Why would I use Tyranitar, when my team is not built on Sandstorm?
3. HP Rock helps me kill those switch-ins.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey, cool team.

On Garchomp I can suggest trying Yache Berry over Leftovers. Yache Berry is a great item for a set like that. It allows you to take a stray Ice Shard or Hidden Power Ice, allowing you to further your sweep. I would also suggest running a slightly altered Forretress spread to give it a little more bulk. 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef gives you some extra special bulk. This means you still have incredible Physical bulk while retaining some Specially Defensive bulk too. You can now take weaker Specially based attacks such as random Scalds. You should also try Volt Switch over Spikes on Forretress to give you extra momentum to your team. You should also use a Jolly Nature on Terrakion over Adamant. This allows you to revenge Salamence among other fast set up sweepers after a boost.

Your team also has a couple problems outside of nitpicks though. Latios can easily dismantle your team. Same deal with Latias also. You have no real check outside of Terrakion who cannit be switched in in any way. A simple VoltTurn core can also be very annoying. Reuniclus is also a problem, being able to set up and freely slam your team. I advise trying out Jirachi over Jellicent. It can easily check Latios and Reniclus, while sharing great synergy with Garchomp. Jirachi not only helps your goal of a Garchomp team by paralyzing and crippling it's counters, but it also gives you valuable Wish support. Finally, I can suggest trying Gastrodon over Shaymin. It can handle Rotom-W and Starmie with ease, while acting as a solid counter to the likes of Heatran also.

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
252 HP / 216 SDef / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Leftovers | Storm Drain
252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Good luck!

1. Jellicent is offensive, I go Scald with defensive sets
2. Why would I use Tyranitar, when my team is not built on Sandstorm?
3. HP Rock helps me kill those switch-ins.
So what?Scald isn't purely defensive,for 10 less power you could cripple opposing pokes.

Tyranitar is a good pokemon.

If I drop Jellicent, I lose that Ghost type that helps me block things like Rapid Spin, FEAR, Machamp, and so on. Also, I have no counter to another Garchomp without getting my team demolished. And my Garchomp is not consistent enough, but I want to maintain a sweeper with a ground typing so I can block Thunder Waves and whatnot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)